The Job Nobody Wants: Next Thai Foreign Minister

webfact

BURNING ISSUE

The job nobody wants: next foreign minister

By Supalak Ganjanakhundee

The Nation

The new Thai foreign minister, whoever is appointed, will face many complicated and difficult tasks as the previous government has left some "hot potatoes" for whoever takes up senior ministerial post.

The hottest job is complying with the International Court of Justice (ICJ)'s order to withdraw troops from the court imposed 'demilitarised zone' at the border adjacent to the Hindu temple of Preah Vihear.

The outgoing government under Abhisit Vejjajiva could not make a decision on the issue as it had lost its mandate - by losing the election. Abhisit did not even spell out whether Thailand should comply with the court's injunction, or how it might do this. All the Prime Minister could do was offer an expression of satisfaction over the court's order.

It remains unclear whether the troop withdrawal needs approval from Parliament in accordance with Article 190 of the current Constitution.

Officials at the Foreign Ministry are unlikely to have any clear idea about the legal implications of the ICJ injunction.

The decision to comply or not to comply with the ICJ's order is a major political burden and a decision-maker must take the consequences. Abhisit and the Democrat Party, who are about to become the opposition soon, would never hesitate to blame Pheu Thai Party for any deal with Cambodia. If the new government fully complies with the court's order, Abhisit would say Thailand stands to lose. Unless the new government complies, Abhisit would say the decision had damaged Thailand's international reputation.

The court's decision not only involves a bilateral deal between two neighbours, Thailand and Cambodia, but also involves Asean as Indonesia, the organisation's current chair, which is seeking to send a team of observers to inspect the area and monitor the situation.

During Abhisit's time in office, the military insisted many times they were not willing to allow foreign observers to enter the border area due to the fear of interference in Thai sovereignty over disputed territory.

Abhisit, since an agreement with Cambodia and Indonesia in February, has for the past month used delaying tactics to stall the arrival of Indonesia's team of observers.

With the court's injunction, Thailand cannot resist the plan anymore but it is the duty of the Foreign Ministry and the new government to convince the Army to comply. Unfortunately, relations between Pheu Thai and the military are never good.

Another complicated issue is the Boeing 737 seized by a German court over an investment conflict with a German construction firm, Walter Bau. The case is being considered by the court.

The jet is not a normal one, since it is often flown by HRH Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn. HRH the Crown Prince made clear he understands the situation, but it is the duty of the new foreign minister to employ his or her diplomatic skills to try to get the plane released.

Further, the new minister has to balance foreign policy and the demands of Pheu Thai Party's de facto leader, Thaksin Shinawatra, who fled overseas just prior to being convicted of corruption by a Thai court.

Thaksin's legal status is that of a fugitive and he has sought asylum in many countries, including the United Arab Emirates and some in Asean. The new foreign minister may face pressure from the opposition and many of Thaksin's enemies to hunt him and bring him to justice.

Abhisit's Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya spent a lot of his time in office hunting Thaksin, but failed to get him sent back. The outgoing regime suffered bad relations with Cambodia because of its efforts to bring Thaksin to justice over the years.

Handling Thaksin's case will be difficult for the new foreign minister and a hard one to explain to the public. For example, what do they do and what do they say if Thaksin wants to get back diplomatic and official passports revoked by Abhisit's government?

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-27

Nobody? Oh, really???

Where should I submit my application then? :rolleyes:

Sorry mate. Already applied and they took me. Will change all laws for us soon.................:bah:

if the deployment of troops do not need parliamentary approval than the withdrawal can be done without approval either. Besides with a big majority it is a non issue.

Being FM in Thailand is a God's gift. You could make a deal with the international criminal court and deliver justice by giving them Suthep and Prayuth. You could solve the border problem in a minute to drink coffee with hun Sen and put the MOU in place that was already negotiated, which is good for the Thai and Cambodian people. Border demarcation in exchange for pile found near the Cambodian border and it is good for the standing of Thailand. Deducting 30 million Euro from the bonuses of the generals gives you the airplane back and makes it appear that Thailand honors trade contracts and so on. Every disadvantage has its advantages

if the deployment of troops do not need parliamentary approval than the withdrawal can be done without approval either. Besides with a big majority it is a non issue.

Being FM in Thailand is a God's gift. You could make a deal with the international criminal court and deliver justice by giving them Suthep and Prayuth. You could solve the border problem in a minute to drink coffee with hun Sen and put the MOU in place that was already negotiated, which is good for the Thai and Cambodian people. Border demarcation in exchange for pile found near the Cambodian border and it is good for the standing of Thailand. Deducting 30 million Euro from the bonuses of the generals gives you the airplane back and makes it appear that Thailand honors trade contracts and so on. Every disadvantage has its advantages

Definitely simple!

Excellent post!

:-)

Anyway, as usual, the FM will have to take his order from PAD and the invisible hand if he does not want to have troubles.

Edited by geovalin

If you look at the recent history of Thailand's foreign ministers like Tej Bunnag (appointed by the hapless Samak), and Kasit Piromya, you can see that these guys were in way, way over their heads. is there anyone in Thailand truly qualified for the job? Each time Kasit has tried to settle any dispute, it has ended in humiliation for Thailand. He is very incompetent, and he embarrasses the nation every time he steps off a plane. He is in so far over his head, and it appears he does not even know it. At least Tej had experience as an foreign ambassador. Not sure what Kasit has. The consolation here is the Thaksin is smarter than all of these men, so maybe he will be wise enough to appoint someone competent? We can hope and pray for that. Is it too much to ask for?

Nobody? Oh, really???

Go for it my friend and let Thai Visa members know if you need our support. Time to make a difference. May be you can turn thing up side down and get rid of the Corruption. It is a disease for every country and I do not understand at all. Am I too much??

Excellent post!

Wow??? my take and opinion.

Nobody? Oh, really???

If we can not comment on thai politics,whats the use of a toppic like this?

Just yap yapping arrount?

They dont need advice,they will do whatever they like annyway.

So discussing other peoples business is pointless.

The recent conflict with Cambodia was manufactured in order to drive a split between the PAD and the Dems before the election. No need for conflict anymore, so not too much to worry about.

For example, what do they do and what do they say if Thaksin wants to get back diplomatic and official passports revoked by Abhisit's government?

What will he do? He'll give it back immediately of course. They're going to try returning the seized money, I don't think they're going to lose their nerve over a passport.

Edited by DP25

Nobody? Oh, really???

If we can not comment on thai politics,whats the use of a toppic like this?

Just yap yapping arrount?

They dont need advice,they will do whatever they like annyway.

So discussing other peoples business is pointless.

Well, does anyone submit the advice to the Thai official and get any respond. I do understand talk is cheap and performance speaking of itself. Why not keep the discussion alive and well. We Farangs who live in Thailand should help the Thai people and the country. My opinion and I am standing tall.

Nobody? Oh, really???

Sorry mate. Already applied and they took me. Will change all laws for us soon.................:bah:

Good try and thanks for your Sense of humor. What kind of laws can you change? Feel free to spite out for the members. I am serious about this matter. Thanks for sharing in advance.

So, if no-one has withdrawn from the conflict area in the Thai/Cambodia dispute, that would answer why I heard two artillery shells this morning and about one hour later, two jet fighters were on the scene. I hope the new Foreign Minister acts quickly. AND, I thought if the current political party won the recent election, there'd be no more hostilities.....

Edited by finnomick1

It isn't an impossible job, it just takes the army and the PAD to realise that there is a big wide world out there that doesn't spin around Thailand.

Thailand has been making a hash of its place in the international community recently, not because its foreign ministers are bad, but because a small minority of the country don't know understand the rule of law and the concept of reciprocity.

Edited by Thai at Heart

It isn't an impossible job, it just takes the army and the PAD to realise that there is a big wide world out there that doesn't spin around Thailand.

Thailand has been making a hash of its place in the international community recently, not because its foreign ministers are bad, but because a small minority of the country don't know understand the rule of law and the concept of reciprocity.

I think most people here know a lot about the rule of law and especially reciprocity (they often have to exchange cash for being let off of law breaks with the upholders of the law!)

But seriously, the point was that no one wants the job, not that there were not solutions to the problems they would face - many such solutions are political hornets nests, and I would guess the editorial is correct in that most seasoned politicians (or anyone with enough brains to be good at it at least) would avoid it like the plague for the time being. A poisoned chalice perhaps.

what about (ex)con mister T himself? with all his dubai / cambodia connections

Good idea!!! Bring him back to Thailand by all means. Trouble is he wouldn't be able to fill the position for 2 years on account of him having to serve his sentence for being a "rather naughty boy"!!!!

Excellent post!

Anyway, as usual, the FM will have to take his order from PAD and the invisible hand if he does not want to have troubles.

Take his order from PAD - are you kidding!!!! Who are they anyway??? They are not only a "toothless tiger" but they have lost their false teeth as well. They were successful in taking out a number of Thaksin's parties (very admirable task and well executed, admitted) through their demonstrations and barricading of the airports - but since they fell out with Abhisit they are NOTHING now and should disband and go back to their day jobs :rolleyes: .