Going To Vietnam Soon

flap48

Planing on going to Vietnam - Ho Chi Minh city, flying Vietnam Air in a couple of months for a one week break. Can any one advise me on the following: 1 - reasonable quality inexpensive hotels. 2 - good food restaurants or where not to eat. 3 - places of interest to go and see, city or country. old buildings of architectural interest including old temples and things that will show me some of the history and culture of Vietnam. I am open to all suggestions and help. Thank you.

If you are there, you have to do the tunnels. Long trip out, short tour of the tunnels...usually combined with a trip to that very strange, but colorful!, temple nearby.

I loved the big local market there. Also really loved the 2-3 day trip in the delta. Amazing time for sure.

Lots of museums to see too. The war museum is interesting as it's on of the few places you see the other side of the story so to speak.

Last time I was there we stayed in Tan Hai Long 4 Hotel

http://www.asiarooms.com/en/vietnam/ho_chi_minh_city/211657-tan_hai_long_4.html

Very nice rooms but as most places there, no window. Breakfast was very good as well. Not far from many restaurants & bars so it's a good location.

A surprisingly good city for shopping as well with department stores and excellent markets.

Enjoy it, I'll be back early next year I think.

Saigon is a great city. Hope you enjoy your visit.

The Eifel designed post office is interesting and the water puppet show. Mekong delta tour is well worth it. You can do 1, 2, or 3 day tours. All the war stuff, is not my idea of sightseeing, but maybe Chi Chi is worthwhile.

One week is not long enough to get up along the coast, which is a pity. Both Mui Ne and Nha Trang are worth a visit.

Be careful about rip-off taxis. I was ripped and I should know better -- plenty of experience.

Go to the street with Apocalypse Now (long established must-visit night club/disco) A few buildings up the road is one of the few surviving Bia Hoi establishments in the area, open in the morning 'till afternoon for the printing press workers. Drink draught beer and be the object of curiousity in the most in-salubrious of conditions. Great atmosphere and dirt cheap prices.

Lots of museums to see too. The war museum is interesting as it's on of the few places you see the other side of the story so to speak.

http://www.asiarooms...hai_long_4.html

Very nice rooms but as most places there, no window. Breakfast was very good as well. Not far from many restaurants & bars so it's a good location.

A surprisingly good city for shopping as well with department stores and excellent markets.

I am still trying to figure out how to reply to posts,so here goes.

Thank you all for information received so far gentlemen. This post is the only one that mentions a hotel but i am still non the wiser.

How does the Thai baht stack up against the Vietnamese currency and what sort of prices woulld i be paying for a cheap but reasonable hotel room.

Room prices are my main concern, because if they are expensive i just won't go and i will find another cheaper destination. When it is all boiled down

with accomodation, one is only looking for a clean comrtable bed for the night and that is certainly not worth an arm and a leg.

You would do better if you did a little research on hotel prices using the likes of agoda dot com, or suchlike. That should give you a better idea of whats what, hotel price wise

You can set the search to display the room prices in a range of currencies....including Thai Baht.

Then, perhaps come back here to ask about the hotel(s) that takes your fancy

I was looking at a TV program on Vietnam that showed a place called Hue in cental Vietnam, which is a UNESCO World Heritage site. Looked up the prices of hotels using the above site and saw that the rooms were quoted from around 250-300 TBH a night upwards to over 6,000 TBH for 5* hotels.

Penkoprod

Well put. Like most other cities here in Asia, you can pay very little for a room, or go sky high. Depends on your budget. I haven't been to HCMC in several years, but when I was there, I spent around $4 for a room. It was a very strange room, up 4 flights of stairs, then up a small ladder into a hatch in the ceiling. Got to listen to the chickens on the roof. Checked out the next day...

Thank you all for information received so far gentlemen. This post is the only one that mentions a hotel but i am still non the wiser.

How does the Thai baht stack up against the Vietnamese currency and what sort of prices woulld i be paying for a cheap but reasonable hotel room.

Room prices are my main concern, because if they are expensive i just won't go and i will find another cheaper destination. When it is all boiled down

with accomodation, one is only looking for a clean comrtable bed for the night and that is certainly not worth an arm and a leg.

A lot of non info here. A dedent hotel in Saigon is going to cost at least $20 a night. We paid $35 last month for a place that was admiddedly very central. You could do it for 10$ but unless you want to do a lot of walking you'll likely be ripped by the taxi drivers when you want to go sightseeing.

Frankly I thought there much better places to see in Vietnam. Hue is a fine example.

I spent a month in Vietnam, going from bottom to top. Mostly by bus, but did fly from Hue to Hanoi to avoid a loooong ride. IMHO, HCMC was the least interesting place I visited. I loved Hue, Dalat, the delta, Hoi An. I loved Hanoi. I stayed in the old town and it was really interesting.

HCMC is a mass of traffic. I saw so many accidents...and so many near misses.

Hope to get back soon to visit Phu Quoc, Mui Ne and hopefully Sapa.

I spent a month in Vietnam, going from bottom to top. Mostly by bus, but did fly from Hue to Hanoi to avoid a loooong ride. IMHO, HCMC was the least interesting place I visited. I loved Hue, Dalat, the delta, Hoi An. I loved Hanoi. I stayed in the old town and it was really interesting.

Thanks everyone, you have given me a fair bit to think about and check out as well as giving HCMC a big miss. I think i will go to Hanoi and work my way down the coast and give myself two weeks instead of one. Does this sound good. I find 400 - 500 BHT per night hotels ok around the country in Thailand so if they are on a par in Vietnam that will be fine, but i will see what Agoda.com has to say. One more question, Does one bus around Vietnam as in Thailand and if so what are the buses like compared to Thailand.

Don't give Sai Gon a miss, it's a great place to start and plan your tour. The traffic is totally manic and about as close to pure unadulterated anarchy as you'll get. The big surprise to me is how few accidents happen and those that do are just minor shunts. Once you get out of the city though speeds pick up and the accidents are as horrific as any you've seen in Thailand.

In two years in Sai Gon using taxis every day, work and pleasure, I've been ripped off once. Stick to either Vinasun or Mai Linh taxis and you'll be fine. The meter is switched on day or night without having to ask. My rip off experience came from not using one of those taxi companies and not checking the meter is zeroed before starting. I've heard tell of taxis with special souped up meters that rack up a charge like nobody's business but never experienced it myself.

Like BKK, airport taxis are a breed apart. When you get to the airport, pull out any old charge/credit card or something that looks like one and say you want to pay by card. That gets rid of the rip off flies and you'll get an official taxi at half to a third the cost.

There are plenty of small hotels in the Pham Ngu Lao/De Tham area for around $25 per night, a/c room, en suite but just make sure you get a room out the back. You do not want to have a room overlooking the street. Vietnamese sound their horns while driving even if there isn't another living soul in sight.

Regular buses are like cattle trucks, worth a short trip for the experience but for long didtance get a tour bus, tickets from any travel agent.

This info I just dug out is a couple of years old but It'll give you some idea of costs and journey times:-

SGN - Nha Trang $8 (10 sleeper) circa 10 hours.

SGN - Da Lat $7 circa 7 hours

SGN - Mui Ne $5 (8 sleeper) circa 6 hours

This route I only have the price:-

SGN - Mui Ne - Da Lat - Nha Trang - Hoi An - Hue - Ha Noi $38

That just about takes in the whole of the country.

Usually there is a choice of regular or VIP bus but it's like a couple of dollars more so, for me, there's no choice.

Many of the less expensive places will not show up on agoda. I found some via guide books (LP, Rough Guide, etc)...most via just walking around once I got to my destination.

Sure, there are touts trying to get you into their associated lodgings...but sometimes, those places end up being pretty good.

I did a lot of travel with the bus. I think it was shin cafe? Or something like that. I found them pretty good. Some of the places they drop you have a decent hotel. Maybe not the cheapest, but you don't have to deal with the hordes of touts as they are kept outside the gate. Their hotels were good value.

So much to see there. A very interesting country. Can't wait to go back!!!

<br />
<br />I spent a month in Vietnam, going from bottom to top.  Mostly by bus, but did fly from Hue to Hanoi to avoid a loooong ride.  IMHO, HCMC was the least interesting place I visited.  I loved Hue, Dalat, the delta, Hoi An.  I loved Hanoi.  I stayed in the old town and it was really interesting.  <br /><br />HCMC is a mass of traffic.  I saw so many accidents...and so many near misses.<br /><br />Hope to get back soon to visit Phu Quoc, Mui Ne and hopefully Sapa.<br />
<br /><br />Thanks everyone,  you have given me a fair bit to think about and check out  as well as giving  HCMC a big miss.   I think i will go to Hanoi and work my way down the coast and give myself two weeks instead of one.  Does this sound good.   I find  400 - 500 BHT per night hotels ok around the country in Thailand so if they are on a par in Vietnam that will be fine,  but i will see what  Agoda.com has to say.   One more question,  Does one bus around Vietnam as in Thailand and if so what are the buses like compared to Thailand.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Phil furnished you with excellent info answering most of your queries. Pham Nga Lu is definately where you want to stay and you'll find rooms in your price range ie. $10-20 but pay 5-10 more and you'll really have a nice sleep. Forget agoda as it won't help you at all for your price range and easy to just turn up and find something for your needs.

On the bus query, they are not as nice as in Thailand but are comfortable enough. Travel is slower as highways are very congested. You'll find a couple of companies operate from Pham Nga Lu area which saves travelling to the bus stations.

Some more info here, and check out other threads in the SE Asia section.

Yes there's just not enough time to see everything in one trip. Did you make it up to Halong Bay? Its a wonderful place.

The beaches around Nha Trang as well were sensational.

Many of the less expensive places will not show up on agoda. I found some via guide books (LP, Rough Guide, etc)...most via just walking around once I got to my destination.

Sure, there are touts trying to get you into their associated lodgings...but sometimes, those places end up being pretty good.

I did a lot of travel with the bus. I think it was shin cafe? Or something like that. I found them pretty good. Some of the places they drop you have a decent hotel. Maybe not the cheapest, but you don't have to deal with the hordes of touts as they are kept outside the gate. Their hotels were good value.

So much to see there. A very interesting country. Can't wait to go back!!!

It depends on what you call "less expensive places" though.

Having just spent about 2 minutes on the site, it turned up hotels in the major places (like Hanoi, HCMC, Hue, and Nah Trang for example) starting from WAY below 500 Baht per night. All start from around 300, in fact. Seems cheap enough to me ;)

NOT somewhere i would care to stay in, tbh, but something the OP asked for, and, they DO exist on the type of sites mentioned here.

Penkoprod

Thanks everyone, you have given me a fair bit to think about and check out as well as giving HCMC a big miss. I think i will go to Hanoi and work my way down the coast and give myself two weeks instead of one. Does this sound good. I find 400 - 500 BHT per night hotels ok around the country in Thailand so if they are on a par in Vietnam that will be fine, but i will see what Agoda.com has to say. One more question, Does one bus around Vietnam as in Thailand and if so what are the buses like compared to Thailand.

We did the whole trip from Hanoi to HCMC by bus in a couple of weeks. The overnight buses are great...try to book the back row seats on the bottom as they have much more leg room so easier to get a decent sleep.

Book your hotels in advance if you can. Saves a lot of hassle in my experience. Some good advice there already about airport taxis. Suggest you read Phil's words again. These guys will try to rip you off for sure...will tell you the hotel is full already etc...avoid them!

Thanks gentlmen for all the tips and information you have given me. For those of you who traveled around Thailand and Vietnam, given the same travel time of say 2 weeks and a par in standard on buses, accomodation and food would you say one country is cheaper to travel around than the other or about the same.

IMHO, I don't think the prices are that different...if you take out the more expensive places here in Thailand like Bangkok, Phuket or Samui. But a bit cheaper for sure.

You will have a great time. Like Thailand 20 years ago in some places. Try not to miss Hue and Halong Bay...the latter is a bit touristy, but still beautiful.

Your decision to go for 2 weeks is wise. As for Saigon, hire a pedal cab each day for a visit to each of 7 districts of Saigon should you opt again for Saigon. Vietnam is so great, you may wish to plan to stay for a third week. Have fun.

the wife and I went for TET a year ago last Feb. We stayed at the following hotel for 10 days, and loved the location. The manager, her husband, and staff were awesome hosts. Its a small hotel, but you get that personal touch from them. Price was good, room was clean, well maintained, and we felt right at home there.It was our first trip to Vn, The hotel is within walking distance of many hotspots, more restaurants with far more Farang menus than Thailand has, and all good eating. The taxi's were much better quality vehicles than Thailand has, and the drivers were a far higher caliber. We felt like we were being chaufeured? rather than just fares. When we go back, we will stay at this place again.

Saigon Sports 2, Ho Chi Minh City

82 Le Lai Str – Ben Thanh Ward, Dist1

http://www.asiarooms.com/en/vietnam/ho_chi_minh_city/196892-saigon_sports_2.html

IMHO, I don't think the prices are that different...if you take out the more expensive places here in Thailand like Bangkok, Phuket or Samui. But a bit cheaper for sure.

You will have a great time. Like Thailand 20 years ago in some places. Try not to miss Hue and Halong Bay...the latter is a bit touristy, but still beautiful.

Boats are 'grounded' at Halong Bay at the moment due to the storms.

Ha Noi is more interesting than HCMC and a great place to walk around and sightsee. HCMC is much better for shopping though.

Around Ha Noi there's day trips to Perfumed Pagoda and Ninh Binh (or is it Bac Ninh I always get them confused) The 'Halong Bay on Land'

Use Sinh Cafe for booking tours or buses, they'll arrange transport to the bus stations which can be a bit out of town or you can use one of their 'tour' buses. The local buses are perfectly OK for travel, been on them a few times and no problems but by road takes the same amount of time as the train so better spend the extra couple of dollars for the comfort (unless you get a 3rd class wooden bench compartment). The road infrastructure is not as good as Thailand but they are improving it and there's a lot of roadworks now from HN down to HCMC.

Hue and Hoi An are worth stopping by at on the way down to HCMC.

Edited by PattayaParent

Vietnam is a great country and hardly undiscovered anymore. Tourist numbers are increasing annually, but probably only around the level seen in Thailand in the late '90s, but this could change given some promotion on the part of the Vietnamese government and more liberal visa policies. Apart from Thailand, I spend more time in Vietnam than any other country in the region and there is good reason for that...good weather (in the south), great food, friendly people and an interesting and different lifestyle and sights from Thailand. Cheaper? Maybe a little, but you do have to bargain (much more than in Thailand). Also, since I don't speak Vietnamese there are many aspects of the culture that I am not so familiar with and therefore the country remains a curiosity for me that Thailand isn't anymore (I speak fluent Thai, including reading and writing). Infrastructure wise it's obviously not as good as Thailand, but is catching up. Hotels are of a very acceptable standard in most places, in fact I don't see much difference with Thailand in this respect except that annoying passport game they play with you; the law says that all guests must be registered with their ID, so that means foreigners must use their passports for registration and locals use their ID cards, which are brought down to the police station for registration purposes. Not even out of the way hotels avoid this step, unfortunately. It's annoying because unless you ask for your passport to be returned to you, the hotel will keep it the whole time you are staying with them.