Phuket Parents Furious Over Teacher Hitting Young Children

webfact

Phuket parents furious over teacher hitting young children

phuket-1-10743NoofNptFjADPHtCtCVopGvbDyl.jpg

Parents Sompis Petthongnang and Jaruni Janjem are furious over the incident.

phuket-4-10743XnLDbCBuYJxUbnPTmwiwUEwIql.jpg

A screenshot from the video showing 'Kru Kiew' with hand raised about to

strike one of her students.

PHUKET: -- A Phuket temple’s daycare program is under fire after video footage surfaced allegedly showing a long-time teacher beating her students.

About 200 parents and children gathered at Wat Thepnimit daycare center in Wichit today to complain about the teacher and the subsequent firing of four other teachers who parents claim were responsible for exposing the abuse, not inflicting it.

In response to the crowd’s anger, the eight daycare committee members asked them to form their own committee and discuss the issue with the temple abbot this weekend.

Sompis Petthongnang, 29, whose son is shown being beaten in the video, told the Phuket Gazette that they were first shown the video clip by outraged teachers at a parent-teacher meeting last Sunday.

“In the video, the teacher hits my four-year-old son Heng on both sides of his head,” Mrs Sompis said.

“He’s got physical problems – one of his hands doesn’t work very well – and the teacher didn’t consider that when she saw he was doing his schoolwork improperly, so she hit him on the ears,” she said.

“She [the teacher] used to pinch my son’s ear, which left marks, but she always said that it happened before he arrived at school. She admitted to snapping him with rubber bands every day – I can accept small things like that, but not slapping him like she does in the video,” Mrs Sompis said.

The teacher in question is Pranee “Kru Kiew” Jantalert, 47, who has been a teacher at the daycare since it was established about 20 years ago. She set up the center with the abbot of Wat Thepnimit as a preschool.

Jaruni Janjem, 30, told the Gazette, “My four-year-old son Game told me that the teacher slapped him on his forehead, but I didn’t really believe the severity of that until I saw the clip on Sunday.

“Our children were beaten because they didn’t do perfect work, like not writing in the lines or drawing pictures perfectly. I never thought my son would experience cruelty like that, so when I saw what happened on that video I was furious.

“How could she do that to such small children?” Mrs Jaruni said.

“The other teachers told me that Kru Kiew hit the children every day, and that they [the teachers] tried asking her to stop many times, but she didn’t listen,” she said.

Mrs Sompis added, “We heard that she had been hitting the students for a long time but we never thought that our kids would be hit also. Some people told us that she was instructing the children very well and that her methods helped them become good people, so we believed that. We never thought she was this kind of person.”

One little girl was left with a full hand print on her face after being slapped by the teacher, Mrs Sompis said.

There were 110 children divided into two classes at the center. Kru Kiew had 55 students, with four other female teachers taking care of the rest.

“When we informed the abbot about this, he didn’t even look at the video to see what had happened. He seemed to not really care about the children,” Mrs Jaruni said.

“He told us that if we’re not happy, we can send our kids to other daycare centers,” she said.

Mrs Sompis and Mrs Jaruni both told the Gazette that they would definitely be sending their children elsewhere.

They also disagreed with the firing of all the teachers at the daycare.

“We would like to know why the other four teachers were fired,” Mrs Sompis said.

“Actually the abbot originally fired the four others, keeping Kru Kiew, but after we came to the center today her termination letter was posted on the board,” she said.

Panyaluck Suriya, 35, was one of the other teachers at the school – until today.

“We received termination letters dated July 27 telling us to leave the center. We don’t know why we’ve been fired, so we have come here – like the parents – seeking some answers,” Mrs Panyaluck told the Gazette.

The letters informed them that their employment would be terminated as of October 1 this year. They had been working at the center for between two and three years.

Mrs Sompis said that Phuket City Police told them that they would summon Kru Kiew for questioning on August 1. If she fails to appear, they will seek an arrest warrant.

Panlop Engchuan, director of Wat Thepnimit daycare and a Wat Thepnimit committee member, confirmed to the Gazette that he has seen the video.

He said that the video has to be taken as obvious evidence, and that the committee is only coordinating between the abbot and the parents.

“Wat Thepnimit abbot Pra Samu Amornsak Athimutto has arranged a discussion with the parents and the committee to talk about the teachers and the center this coming Sunday,” Mr Panlop said.

Nilobon Chianchankarn, 29, the teacher who captured the video, told the Gazette that she and other teachers, along with Kru Kiew and some parents will go to Phuket City Police Station for questioning.

“We always video record the classes for the children’s learning development, but that day the camera caught Kru Kiew hitting the children because it was left recording,” Ms Nilobon added.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-07-30

any verbal or physical abuse from any teacher is totally unacceptable and the teacher should be charged by police for assault and dismissed from teaching immediately.no child should undergo abuse of any kind from a teacher and this one is increasing in her abuse and needs to be dealt with now not dicussed with the abbott , no excuses .

Physical abuse such as this makes me feel sick & disgusted. Not only is it against the law but it could lead to serious long term damage to the child. The parents should have every right to lay charges with the police. Cases of errant teachers physically abusing students seem to gain headlines for a couple of days but then there never seems to be any follow up usually because the school authorities protect the teacher. Like corruption nothing will improve until the culprits face real & harsh justice. IMO doing schoolwork improperly is more a reflection of the teachers inability.

any verbal or physical abuse from any teacher is totally unacceptable and the teacher should be charged by police for assault and dismissed from teaching immediately.no child should undergo abuse of any kind from a teacher and this one is increasing in her abuse and needs to be dealt with now not dicussed with the abbott , no excuses .

And the same rules should apply to (older) students who abuse their teachers.

One little girl was left with a full hand print on her face after being slapped by the teacher, Mrs Sompis said.

:annoyed:

When I read the title I presumed that the kids were about 12-15 years-old. But these are little kids, just 4 years old. Totally unacceptable.

TheWalkingMan

It is a problem at Darasamuth school also. My daughter is in the second grade there. This year she was to be assigned to a teacher who has a reputation among the kids as one who is pretty liberal with the physical punishment. Being concerned about this, I went to the school and discussed this with a faculty member. She said not to worry as the school had a big meeting about this and assured me this teacher would stop her evil ways. So a few days ago my daughter made the remark that the teacher whacked her with a ruler for forgetting to wear a certain uniform accessory. I am pissed off about this but had better not go to complain as I am not a nice person when it comes to protecting my family....:angry:

Take the ruler and give her a whack in front of the kids....see if she likes that.

When I was young, Sister Mary Elephant used to hit us on our knuckles with the sharp metal edge of a wooden ruler. I usually deserved much worse but my daughter probably not so much.This may have something to do with why I ride motorcycles dressed in an old cartoon character costume...:(

Edited by bunta71

Corporal punishment has been officially banned in Thai schools for years, but it is still widespread. My stepson was thrashed with a cane by a Thai male teacher for something had hadn't even done (another boy was responsible, but he refused to grass). My Thai wife was as outraged as I was and we went to the the school to confront the teacher concerned, in the presence of the headmaster.

At first the teacher was dismissive (particularly of my wife's complaints), but after we produced documents relating to the law on corporal punishment he grudgingly admitted he was wrong and apologised. At one point, riled by his sneering arrogance, I picked up the cane he had used on my step son and said that if he ever hit our boy again I would go to the school and cane HIM publicly.

Knowing how reluctant Thais generally are to complain, I was proud of my wife for her part in bringing this teacher to book. She was very supportive, but said I should not have lost my temper and threatened the teacher. I've lived here long enough to know she was right. The incident happened a couple of years ago and, for months afterwards, whenever I saw a couple of Thai guys on a motorbike approaching, wearing dark-visored crash helmets, my heart would beat a little faster. . .

Whilst not condoning physical or verbal abuse discipline needs to be maintained. In my school days a smack, ruler to palm of hand and caning were all standard methods of punishment to enforce discipline. I would consder my generation as children and youths much better citizens than the children and youths of today and attribute some of that to the way we were disciplined. Todays mollycoddling teaches children that they can do anything and get away with it except perhaps to be mildly reprimanded and sent to your room where computer and/or TV awaits you. That's not much punishment.

This is one of the reasons I stopped teaching at a bangkok private high school. The Thai teachers would strike the students with quite heafty sticks. I once saw a small female teacher reach up and smack a 17 yo boy hard across the face. He was certainly distressed, and I was stunned.

Whilst not condoning physical or verbal abuse discipline needs to be maintained. In my school days a smack, ruler to palm of hand and caning were all standard methods of punishment to enforce discipline. I would consder my generation as children and youths much better citizens than the children and youths of today and attribute some of that to the way we were disciplined. Todays mollycoddling teaches children that they can do anything and get away with it except perhaps to be mildly reprimanded and sent to your room where computer and/or TV awaits you. That's not much punishment.

I've got five teachers in my family both in Thailand and in America, so I am aware of the problems from both ends of the classroom. I also know how the school system really works in both countries. Of course you are right in what you say, KKK, but the problem as always is where to draw the line. Not only is there the problem of how to tell if the teacher is hitting because of their own frustrations and anger (as opposed to using punishment as a valid teaching tool in the best interests of the student), but also how do you decide which students would have their spirits crushed with even a small punishment, and which students can be stomped on by an elephant and still not care? Once you get into the topic you're always faced with the question as to whether it is better to possibly damage your students (physically or spiritually) or if it is better to perhaps let them think they "got away" with something. I don't know. Which would you choose for your child?

In the old days of "children should be seen and not heard" and a style of education that preferred mindless memorization in favor of actual thinking, well, the decision was easy. Who really cared if the kids wanted to learn? Who cared if the main thing they learned was that physical abuse and power made everthing right and that learning itself was something to be avoided? These days we don't expect the teachers to be more than human beings and we therefore don't expect them to never feel anger and to only use their vastly superior physical and mental powers (I mean as compared to four year olds, as in this story) to help the kids. We figure that when the headmaster has just dressed the teacher down, or the teacher was cut off by some snotty teen while driving to school, well, the teacher might not give the same evaluation to how important it is that her students show the high level of respect and deference that she would on a different day. So we don't leave it to these imperfect creatures to decide when to abuse (oops, I mean "teach") our children important social lessons regardless of how they feel at that particular moment.

Finding the middle road is of course the key, since our chances of finding teachers that never make mistakes is pretty low. What would you suggest the guidelines should be? When is it ok to use physical or mental punishment, and when should it be restricted? And how could an observer know if your guidelines are being followed? All very difficult questions. I agree that never, ever correcting the students is not optimal, but I sure don't want to leave the decision about beating or verbally abusing my kid to his teacher.

1) Wow @ the parents.. They themselves hit children and now they rage over a teacher just doing the same thing they do? I dare anyone to show me 1 thai couple not raising theirs hands everytime their child does something wrong. Even if they dont hit in public the first reflex thais have is to raise their hands then look around. Rubber bands are ok though!.. Whats the big <deleted> difference? Raising your voice ok but any physical abuse brings the same message.. fear. A screaming voice for some children can be seen as a calming down method, not just fear.

2) i loled hard @ the abbot telling parents to leave if they dont like it.. sounds similar to what were being told as farangs.. dam_n it hurts doesnt it?

3) Wheres all the farangs that keep telling us that sending our kids to expensive international pre-schools and schools is dumb money wasted. thai education is GREAT. I would love to see them popup in here.

4) TIT.. no prison term for beating children.. Dont see why people would stop now. It's so fun to finally have power have an other being.

It is a problem at Darasamuth school also. My daughter is in the second grade there. This year she was to be assigned to a teacher who has a reputation among the kids as one who is pretty liberal with the physical punishment. Being concerned about this, I went to the school and discussed this with a faculty member. She said not to worry as the school had a big meeting about this and assured me this teacher would stop her evil ways. So a few days ago my daughter made the remark that the teacher whacked her with a ruler for forgetting to wear a certain uniform accessory. I am pissed off about this but had better not go to complain as I am not a nice person when it comes to protecting my family....:angry:

You must hate your daugther. I get sending her to a cheap school. but not doing anything and leaving her there after that? wow.

Good parents in here. If i couldnt afford a good school i would rather just leave the country.. putting your kid through one of the worst education system in the world and physical abuse.. great thinking.

I doubt there will ever be any beatings at an international school and if there is, the teacher is white so a parent kicking his ass won't land him in jail.

Edited by seriouseats

then move back home. You have a kid your life if voided, now you have to work for your kid. If it means going back to the west for free schooling that is good then you have to go.

Seriously, my finance lately are terrible and im still cutting all my expenses to send mine to an expensive school and if i could not pay then whatever, move away. Putting yourself in front of kids is disgusting especialy in a country where education is terrible and they get hit. She'll get hit again, dont worry about that. They always hit.

Edited by seriouseats

well said KKK, i totally agree , but the punishment should fit the crime, and in this case it obviously did not , slapping a 4 yr old across the face is definately out of order ,the only time i ever smacked one of my toddlers was so he/she wouldn't touch the gas fire again AND IT WAS AFFECTIVE , i do think though, that if junior/high schools had policies like ; any student being violent toward a teacher or fellow student shall be punished , in a similar manner i suggest, such as the "cane '', and if they offend with foul language or abuse then it should be detention and extra homework and 200 lines for example,if the parents dont like that , then send them to a school where they can run around like idiots as most of them seem to end up being anyway .......the youth of Thailand today seem so far from the Thais i knew 15 yrs ago , the parents spoil them rotten , the ones i know have no discipline or night time routine , KIDS NEED ROUTINE !,...like homework/shower/clean teeth/bed/sleep , they dont have the nice polite manners that made Thailand such a fantastic place to spend time,i see so many kids now still up @ 11 pm listening to adult conversations {though immature ones } and even out on motorbikes @ 12-15 yrs old late at night ,.......... with no helmet & probably with no lights on it ,doing 90 on sukhumvit road !!, the same parents will be the fist to complain about their kids being abused !! education education education !

So, because you are not a nice person when it comes to protecting your family you decide to do nothing to protect your daughter in school. Despite knowing what she has to endure? Amazing. You must feel really proud of yourself.

Luckily for the school, the pupils and parents were Thai. Farangs wouldn't have waited until a meeting, but would have been straight down the school, and would have been somewhat more outspoken with the Abbot.

But 55 pupils is around three to four times the number with which any teacher in pre school should be coping, anyway . . .

Edited by JohnAllan

I can't disagree with any of your points. But there is a fine line between punishment and assault. Plus these children were pre school, not high school.

then move back home. You have a kid your life if voided, now you have to work for your kid. If it means going back to the west for free schooling that is good then you have to go.

Seriously, my finance lately are terrible and im still cutting all my expenses to send mine to an expensive school and if i could not pay then whatever, move away. Putting yourself in front of kids is disgusting especialy in a country where education is terrible and they get hit. She'll get hit again, dont worry about that. They always hit.

Free schooling? Are you nuts? There is no such thing. Ah! You're thinking of the UK, aren't you? Who do you suppose funds 'free schooling' there?

Free schooling? Are you nuts? There is no such thing. Ah! You're thinking of the UK, aren't you? Who do you suppose funds 'free schooling' there?

No i was thinking of all the other first world countries with good education system. UK and Germany would be the last on my list.

Ah! You're thinking of the UK, aren't you? Who do you suppose funds 'free schooling' there?

Tax-payers.............whether they have children, or, not.

It may not be free, but, it's certainly subsidized by people that don't have school age children, or, who have no children.

No i was thinking of all the other first world countries with good education system. UK and Germany would be the last on my list.

of course they would ,...who wants there kids to speak perfect english and go to oxford or cambridge,......... have to aspire to better things than that eh ?

I've got five teachers in my family both in Thailand and in America, so I am aware of the problems from both ends of the classroom. I also know how the school system really works in both countries. Of course you are right in what you say, KKK, but the problem as always is where to draw the line. Not only is there the problem of how to tell if the teacher is hitting because of their own frustrations and anger (as opposed to using punishment as a valid teaching tool in the best interests of the student), but also how do you decide which students would have their spirits crushed with even a small punishment, and which students can be stomped on by an elephant and still not care? Once you get into the topic you're always faced with the question as to whether it is better to possibly damage your students (physically or spiritually) or if it is better to perhaps let them think they "got away" with something. I don't know. Which would you choose for your child?

In the old days of "children should be seen and not heard" and a style of education that preferred mindless memorization in favor of actual thinking, well, the decision was easy. Who really cared if the kids wanted to learn? Who cared if the main thing they learned was that physical abuse and power made everthing right and that learning itself was something to be avoided? These days we don't expect the teachers to be more than human beings and we therefore don't expect them to never feel anger and to only use their vastly superior physical and mental powers (I mean as compared to four year olds, as in this story) to help the kids. We figure that when the headmaster has just dressed the teacher down, or the teacher was cut off by some snotty teen while driving to school, well, the teacher might not give the same evaluation to how important it is that her students show the high level of respect and deference that she would on a different day. So we don't leave it to these imperfect creatures to decide when to abuse (oops, I mean "teach") our children important social lessons regardless of how they feel at that particular moment.

Finding the middle road is of course the key, since our chances of finding teachers that never make mistakes is pretty low. What would you suggest the guidelines should be? When is it ok to use physical or mental punishment, and when should it be restricted? And how could an observer know if your guidelines are being followed? All very difficult questions. I agree that never, ever correcting the students is not optimal, but I sure don't want to leave the decision about beating or verbally abusing my kid to his teacher.

well said KKK, i totally agree , but the punishment should fit the crime, and in this case it obviously did not , slapping a 4 yr old across the face is definately out of order ,the only time i ever smacked one of my toddlers was so he/she wouldn't touch the gas fire again AND IT WAS AFFECTIVE , i do think though, that if junior/high schools had policies like ; any student being violent toward a teacher or fellow student shall be punished , in a similar manner i suggest, such as the "cane '', and if they offend with foul language or abuse then it should be detention and extra homework and 200 lines for example,if the parents dont like that , then send them to a school where they can run around like idiots as most of them seem to end up being anyway .......the youth of Thailand today seem so far from the Thais i knew 15 yrs ago , the parents spoil them rotten , the ones i know have no discipline or night time routine , KIDS NEED ROUTINE !,...like homework/shower/clean teeth/bed/sleep , they dont have the nice polite manners that made Thailand such a fantastic place to spend time,i see so many kids now still up @ 11 pm listening to adult conversations {though immature ones } and even out on motorbikes @ 12-15 yrs old late at night ,.......... with no helmet & probably with no lights on it ,doing 90 on sukhumvit road !!, the same parents will be the fist to complain about their kids being abused !! education education education !

I thank you all for your post and basic agreement with mine. The answer...I don't have one. I was hoping somebody more qualified would come up with one.

Ignoring all the intra-thrad bickering and insults...

Leaving aside my rant about my feeling towards anyone hitting children or what I'd do if it were mine...

To me, this was the most striking thing in the article:

“We heard that she had been hitting the students for a long time but we never thought that our kids would be hit also..."

Think about it.

Phuket daycare teacher charged over child beatings

phuket-1-10755bmcJuvYYIslkmeRgtleNDDCioc.jpg

One of the concerned parents with her children at the meeting on Friday.

PHUKET: -- The Phuket daycare teacher allegedly caught on video beating her students has been charged with child abuse, with the possibility of more charges to come.

Meanwhile, Wichit Municipality has taken over the Wat Thepnimit daycare center, where parents and other teachers say the beatings took place regularly.

The scandal unfolded on July 24 when teachers from the daycare center showed parents a video clip of their colleague, 47-year-old Pranee “Kru Kiew” Jantalert, beating their children.

The video was also posted on

Angry parents gathered at the temple on Friday to demand explanations as to why this abuse took place, and, oddly, why all of the other teachers had been sacked in response to the incident.

After a meeting yesterday between the temple abbot, temple committee members, teachers and parents, it was agreed that responsibility for the school would be handed to Wichit Municipality and that the four teachers who had been fired would be rehired.

Pranee, however, has not been asked to come back to the school.

“Right now we are questioning parents whose children were beaten by Kru Kiew. Right now there are three families, but we expect more to come forward,” Phuket City Police Officer Wirat Tenthong said.

“We’ve already charged her with child abuse and we are looking into the Child Protection Act to see whether any other charges may be applicable,” Capt Wirat said.

“Once we’ve decided on additional charges, we will inform her of them and ask her to come in for questioning this week. If she doesn’t come, we will issue an arrest warrant,” he added.

Nilobon “Kru Por” Chianchankarn, the teacher who recorded the video, said, “I haven’t seen her [Pranee] since all this happened, but I know from people that she’s still living in a Phuket villa where she is running a nursery.

“Some parents told me that when they heard about this story, they rushed to her house to pick up their children.”

Sompis Pettongnang, mother of one of the children hit in the video, said that the case is with the police and now the concern is what to do with their children.

“Most parents who brought their children to this daycare live nearby, so we would like to see it continue operating,” she said.

Although it looks certain that the center will reopen after a seven-day closure to prepare a budget, it is not clear who the teachers will be.

“The four teachers who received termination letters signed by the abbot have been offered their jobs back. However, three of us are considering leaving because the new contract will be for much less salary,” Ms Nilobon said.

“They are considering hiring us on a contract that pays 6,000 baht per month. After Social Security – 420 baht – is deducted, we’ll have just over 5,000 baht per month. And we won’t have any days off unless we take sick leave. I cannot afford that,” she said.

“Before, we got 8,200 baht a month and some other subsidies such as Social Security,” she added.

Only one teacher has more than three years experience, which qualifies her for a higher salary.

“If we leave, the municipality will find new teachers – I’ve been offered a different job,” Ms Nilobon said.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-08-02