What Does Thailand Have That Europe Not Have

Blackandwhite

For years we as a family( Wife Thai, Me English and our daughter English with Dual nationality ) been considering a move to Thailand.

But the one thing that always stops us is our daughter and the choices and opportunities she has here in the Uk, they include all the usual thing kids do, ballet and dance, riding, gymnastic, tennis, climbing ect, also good free state education, job opportunities once school is finished, heath services ect ect.

I am not looking for a debate or argument here just wondering how in the eyes of those of you living in Thailand feel your children benefit from living in Thailand as opposed to your country of residence.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Culture mostly.

China and Asia in general are on the ascendency while the West is currently declining. I suspect in 20 - 30 years when my children are reaching their peak working years that being able to interact with the Chinese and understand their cultural mannerisms is going to be infinitely more valuable than anything they may have missed out on.

They will learn most of my Western values just from growing up with me, and I would certainly help them to go abroad for University when they reach the appropriate age. So I would hope they get enough that they could feel at home in the West if they wind up there. But there is no better way to teach them to think like an Asian and to understand the culture of Asia than to allow them to live in Asia. And in my opinion that is going to be more critical that anything else.

• Like 1

For years we as a family( Wife Thai, Me English and our daughter English with Dual nationality ) been considering a move to Thailand.

But the one thing that always stops us is our daughter and the choices and opportunities she has here in the Uk, they include all the usual thing kids do, ballet and dance, riding, gymnastic, tennis, climbing ect, also good free state education, job opportunities once school is finished, heath services ect ect.

I am not looking for a debate or argument here just wondering how in the eyes of those of you living in Thailand feel your children benefit from living in Thailand as opposed to your country of residence.

I hope you have been here a few times over the years ?

Ballet, dance, riding, gymnastic, tennis, etc all this and more here for my 10 year old daughter

Schools, pleanty. fron state free education to some of the highest level secondary schools avalable.

Job opertunites, Well what is the unemplyment rate there vs. here, one of the lowest. And if she is well educated I would say can do equal here

Weather, is wonderful year round, and a friendly true culture

As others have noted, America, as well as Europe is on the slide and will never recover, never ! If you do not see that, you are wearing blinders

China will be the leader, and other Asian nations doing well

personally I have found my children better being exposed to several different culters and Countries over the years

Kids adapt well, mine picked up the launguage in weeks. It is taking me years, but I am a better persoan for moving here

People, agreed he UK is a disaster and as a family we are lucky here to have thee chance to do lots of things but, I fully agreed on all the points you have mentioned. When I see my daughter in Thailand when we visit she very quickly becomes immersed in all things Thai and it is a great thing to see.

China is a world leader and the close ties to Thailand can only be a good thing.

I agree with the other posters about western decline.

If you have money, your children can do the activities you listed for approx. the same price as in UK.

Another good thing is that they will learn how to evolve in a hierarchized social environment.

If one of your kids is introverted, this is an excellent opportunity too, because socially the western world has become a hell for introverts.

And Asian economic values are much healthier: i.e. manufactured products, electronics, cars, etc. are expensive while labor and food are cheap. The way it should be IMO.

You omit two very important details:

1) Your daughters’ age

2) Your financial situation

Realistically, forget “free state education” and “job opportunities” here; in Thailand Primary and Secondary schooling at the State level is pretty basic - to say the least, however if you are able to pay for your child to enter a reputable International School then you have a much better chance of getting your child into a Western University – again very few Thai Universities will offer a similar level of education.

Even for someone with a Western University Degree finding employment in Thailand – with no work experience – will be extremely difficult, unless she is willing to work for the same salary as a Thai University graduate Baht 15,000.- to Baht 20,000.- a month tops. Finding work in the West with only a Thai University Degree would be far more difficult.

All the activities you list are easily available in Thailand – if you have the money to pay for them, that’s a huge proviso.

Thailand is a great place to live if you have the money to support the lifestyle you want – I am sure it can be a truly miserable place if you live from hand to mouth.

Patrick

1) Your daughters’ age

Realistically, forget “free state education” and “job opportunities” here; in Thailand Primary and Secondary schooling at the State level is pretty basic - to say the least, however if you are able to pay for your child to enter a reputable International School then you have a much better chance of getting your child into a Western University – again very few Thai Universities will offer a similar level of education.

Even for someone with a Western University Degree finding employment in Thailand – with no work experience – will be extremely difficult, unless she is willing to work for the same salary as a Thai University graduate Baht 15,000.- to Baht 20,000.- a month tops. Finding work in the West with only a Thai University Degree would be far more difficult.

All the activities you list are easily available in Thailand – if you have the money to pay for them, that’s a huge proviso.

Thailand is a great place to live if you have the money to support the lifestyle you want – I am sure it can be a truly miserable place if you live from hand to mouth.

Patrick

Hi

My daughter in 9 year old now and doing final two tears in junior school before selection for high school

Financial situation is okay, should be able to create an income of say 200 thb per month from Uk business, we will rent for a while then look at a purchase of a house to suit our needs.Not looking for anything grand just a house that will make a home.

Not sure what financial situation that will put me in but that is about it, we will also that way be able to leave money here in the UK and property as a fall back and for my daughter if she wishes to return to the Uk to live or study.

1) Your daughters’ age

Patrick

Hi

My daughter in 9 year old now and doing final two tears in junior school before selection for high school

Financial situation is okay, should be able to create an income of say 200 thb per month from Uk business, we will rent for a while then look at a purchase of a house to suit our needs.Not looking for anything grand just a house that will make a home.

Not sure what financial situation that will put me in but that is about it, we will also that way be able to leave money here in the UK and property as a fall back and for my daughter if she wishes to return to the Uk to live or study.

it makes you well-off by Thai standards

a good international school will cost about 25 to 40k baht a month

Edited by manarak

As a loog-kreung who grew up in Thailand I would definitely recommend it to any child with your level of financial security.

The opportunities to broaden the mind are immense, not to mention the fact that the ability to pick up languages tend to stay with people who grow up speaking more than one.

Be advised, however : Thailand does not have Political Correctness. :jap:

As a loog-kreung who grew up in Thailand I would definitely recommend it to any child with your level of financial security.

The opportunities to broaden the mind are immense, not to mention the fact that the ability to pick up languages tend to stay with people who grow up speaking more than one.

Be advised, however : Thailand does not have Political Correctness. :jap:

Hi Thank you for that, I am always interested to hear your thoughts, is there any other Thai mixed race members out there, your thoughts are very welcome

Be careful not to compare the worst of Europe with the best of Thailand. My wife and I looked at both sides and came to the conclusion that our daughter would never have the same educational opportunities in Thailand as she would in Canada (not Europe, but on a similar level). It's possible to fall into the trap of trying to justify what's right for your child because it's what you personally want to do.

The most important thing a child can have anywhere in the world is parents that love, value them and provide what they can for them.

My three (5,6, and 7) attend a good private school. Not an international school, as I feel that these can be over-rated and unless both parents are farang not really essential for success. Indeed, students at private and state schools are in an environment where they have to achieve to remain in the better classes. Univeristy will be overseas (that's the plan)

My kids have loads to do. A fter school classes, taekondo, swimming and they choose to go to saturday school where they have computer classes. My feeling is that schools in Bangkok are better than the UK. Students learn to respect elders and understand discipline. Education is very important in Asia. You give your children the best possible.

Western economics are in decline as they become more transparent. Thousands of students finishing university with no other job prospects that teaching English somewhere like Thailand is a very telling situation.

I feel I could not give my children as good an education in the Uk as I do here.

The most important thing a child can have anywhere in the world is parents that love, value them and provide what they can for them.

My three (5,6, and 7) attend a good private school. Not an international school, as I feel that these can be over-rated and unless both parents are farang not really essential for success. Indeed, students at private and state schools are in an environment where they have to achieve to remain in the better classes. Univeristy will be overseas (that's the plan)

My kids have loads to do. A fter school classes, taekondo, swimming and they choose to go to saturday school where they have computer classes. My feeling is that many schools in Bangkok are better than the UK. The worst schools in Bangkok or similar to the worst in London. I've worked in many schools in Thailand, so can compare. Students learn to respect elders and understand discipline. Education is very important in Asia. You give your children the best possible.

Western economics are in decline as they become more transparent. Thousands of students finishing university with no other job prospects that teaching English somewhere like Thailand is a very telling situation.

I feel I could not give my children as good an education in the Uk as I do here.

I suppose most of the dissatisfied posters have on this thread have vented their spleen about their own failure in the Western world and their view on how the East will allow their own miscegeny to to achieve what they could not.

My bairns go to an international school in BKK, and it offers a level of opportunity comparable to anything they could get in the UK, excluding political connections. Nevertheless, I am considering relocating the family back to Blighty for the combination of security and opportunity that it offers, and also the savings of being a home student.

And, to be fair, the desire to have bairns of my own nationality by more than heredity.

Like a lot of things in Thailand, the comparison to other countries is not simple; the best international schools here will give your kids an education that is comparable to the best anywhere, probably at a lower price, and certainly easier access for farang; if you want to rely on the state, you will be crippling your children in the global market place if you send them to school in Thailand, unless you are willing to take full responsibility yourself for education of your children..

SC

• Like 1

Thank you again for the points raised,schools do appear based on the thoughts of those that have posted replies although at a cost seem from what you say generally good.

The school my daughter is in here in the Uk is okay, it is a lovely village school in a small village in Gloucestershire but it has its very good and some very bad points. It is rather inconsistent at times and runs with the majority of teachers teaching half a term at a time on job shares due to other commitments, even though I do not have a problem with this from a person level it does have an impact on the education quality. I good friend of mine refers to some Uk schools and a little green and leafy. Next we face the high school lottery not sure which of those of you know how the choice of high school is decided here but it is rather complicated and not always reflective of the correct choice for the child.

I have no experience of private schooling other than my cousins grey up in West Africa Sierra Leonne they went to school and part of their high school education in Africa to private school and the they came here for last years in high school. They seem to all intensive purposes to have all the life skill I do and less or more ability to have a successful adult life. The one thing is though non of them have a huge desire to live here in the Uk.

Anyway going a bit off topic there so back on course - there are so many aspects of the life of our young ones, they are the dearest things we ever posses and they need to be nurtured and brought up in a sound happy and relaxing family unit with a mix of love and discipline . We need to make decisions for them based on the future and what encourages love and security for them, the young years are the best and our children trust us to make those decisions for them. What we teach them as parents will remain with them for the rest of their lives and no doubt be with them as they enter adulthood.

• 3 weeks later...

International schools in Thailand (often or always) use English (or another western langauge) as language of instruction. The kids might study Thai for one lesson per week. Everything else will be in, for example, English.

A child growing up in Thailand will learn Thai, but will the child learn the Thai word for, for example, hydrogen, by playing fotball after school with her Thai friends - probably not.

Why would she want to learn a word like that ? Well, it depends on how you see her future.

Main things Thailand has that Europe doesn't:

Thai language + Thai culture

Hotter climate + best food in the world

The first two are debatable as to useful or not. In early years at least we've chosen to give some exposure. These are probably only very important if your kids will spend significant time in the future living in Thailand. Otherwise plenty of more useful Asian languages and cultures are out there, better suited to a global world.

The next two are big pluses for me.

Should probably add that overall now we have kids, that would be one of the biggest reasons for considering moving back to the UK. When single, I never really considered moving back. Now with kids, I do consider it.

Edited by fletchsmile

• 1 year later...

Just though i might wake this up again, we are still here in the Uk and I wonder most months from time to time if we still might consider a move to Thailand, my daughter goes to High school in September and it is another time if we were to move that would be a good time to do it before she starts high school.

Hard when you trying to make a decision to suit the best for all, inevitably we will move to Thailand but when,

Are those of you with kids there living in Thailand still all happy with how it is going ??

Can I presume that as this has had over 1000 views and very few replies there is nothing to say on the matter and that maybe overall Thailand has little to offer for kid other than things being chilled out and nice warm weather

Did you actually read any of the replies?

Patrick

Our kids go to private Thai School, which is billingual. So about 50% of the subjects are in English. The older also has Mandarin classes. All is done according to Thai national curriculum.

Intenational schools are much more expensive. With two kids it comes easily to well ove 600k per year. They teach British (or other) curriculum.

I feel private Thai billingual school is the best choice. There are all possible classes. Computers are plenty, they do have a swimming pool. Most important certain values lost in the west, like respect to elders etc. are still common place.

I believe my kids get as good of an education as they would back in Europe.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

The question of bringing up kids in Thai or UK has always brought conflicting scenarios in my own head, I have a 3 year old son.

I also have a lovely house and farm here in Thailand, the farm makes approx 70,000 baht per month, I have 18,000 chickens.

I want to put up another chicken shed cost about 2 mill baht, then the business will be making in the region of 140,000 baht per month.

So my dilema is, I want to do this for my son in later life, but feel I am choosing a path for him, I dont think there are many opportunities here for him to make that sort of money, without him being shipped off to an International school and such I will never share his life.

Or go back to the UK where the standard of education is unquestionally better, and lots more opportunities in later life.

For me it's a tough call, just hope I get it right.

Edited by Monkeypants

Can I presume that as this has had over 1000 views and very few replies there is nothing to say on the matter and that maybe overall Thailand has little to offer for kid other than things being chilled out and nice warm weather

Patrick

Yes I have, I comment based on the fact over 1000 have shown intrest and very few of those 1000 + have had any imput on the topic which is why it indicates to me there is not loads happening worth metioning

The question of bringing up kids in Thai or UK has always brought conflicting scenarios in my own head, I have a 3 year old son.

I also have a lovely house and farm here in Thailand, the farm makes approx 70,000 baht per month, I have 18,000 chickens.

I want to put up another chicken shed cost about 2 mill baht, then the business will be making in the region of 140,000 baht per month.

So my dilema is, I want to do this for my son in later life, but feel I am choosing a path for him, I dont think there are many opportunities here for him to make that sort of money, without him being shipped off to an International school and such I will never share his life.

Or go back to the UK where the standard of education is unquestionally better, and lots more opportunities in later life.

For me it's a tough call, just hope I get it right.

Yes this is the question what is right for the children.

I ask myself every day what if, you know the big '' what if'' question

Happiness Vs Money

A hard choice to make for your children. Not many happy families in the UK when I left.

Out here all the children seem to live fairly happy lives.

I was bought up and educated in the UK ........ bullied at school, followed by a worthless professional life making a lot of money and an unhappy marriage.

I choose a farm in Thailand for my children, and a Thai government school ........ it's got to be better than I had endured in the UK.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Patrick

Yes I have, I comment based on the fact over 1000 have shown intrest and very few of those 1000 + have had any imput on the topic which is why it indicates to me there is not loads happening worth metioning

Why do you equate "over 1000 have shown intrest (sic)" - which merely indicates that Members have taken time to read this Thread - with the number of Posted replies.

No-one needs to reply to a Post simply to prove they have read it - particularly when their own opinions have already been added in previous contributions.

Do you expect every Viewer of this Thread to repeat what, in their reply, has already been clearly explained to you?

Patrick