Retirement Visa, First Time

Having read a lot of different threads on the subject of getting a retirement visa for the first time I am a bit confused as to what I actually need to do!

I currently have a 1 year multi entry O visa obtained from Hull which expires on the 23rd November this year and am now looking at changing to a retirement visa as my original multi entry O visa was based on our UK Civil Partnership and as I understand it the only place I could obtain another one would be to travel back to Hull, which we don't really want to do, which leaves the retirement option.

Can someone please let me know what documents I will need to provide as well as a Thai bank account showing the 800,000..... can this be a sterling account here in Thailand?

If my understanding is correct the funds only need to be in the account for 2 months for the first application.

Do I need a doctors letter and a report from the local police?

If my current visa expires on the 23rd November and I do a 90 day border run the day before, and get another 90 days can I apply for the new retirement visa 2 months after that border run? i.e 23 January 2012.

I would be grateful for your help and advice.

Thanks....... from a confused Vistana unsure.gif

An extension based on retirement inside Thailand does not require a medical or police report.

You can use either the capital amount 800k in the bank or income method. If you use income method you will need a letter confirming income from the UK Embassy. If using the capital method you will need your passbook and a letter from the bank confirming the balance.

You can apply for the extension in the last 30 days of any entry, so yes, to your last question.

Documents are completed TM.7, passport/entry card & copies of same, financial requirements proof, picture and dependant on the office possibly proof of residence and of course the fee 1900 baht

You might want to think about getting a "re-entry" permit whilst you are there incase you want to go outside Thailand for any reason. Handy if something unexpected comes up and you have to leave quickly, or if like me you like to have all aspects covered.

Edited by CharlieH

2.22 In the case of a retiree: Permission will be granted for a period of not more

than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

Yes you can apply in January.

No medical or police report is needed.

Thank Lite Beer and Charlie H for your very helpful replies, so the plan is:

Do a 90 day border run just before my current multi entry O visa expires on the 23/11/2011 so that would take me up to 23/2/2012.

Ensure the 800,000 is in the appropriate account by 23/12/2011 (2 months before applying as it is my first retirement extension)

Go along to immigration on the 23/1/2012 with the required documents and fee (30 days before my last entry on the multi O expires)

Does that sound right to you guys?

Thanks again

Vistana...... now slightly less confusedrolleyes.gif

Can the account be a sterling account here with Bkk Bank?

Thanks very much

Vistana

I'm on the same route myself, so I don't have personal experience, but looking also looking for some good advice.

However from what I've read here on the forum, is that you cannot have a foreign currency account. It needs to be in Thai Baht.

And there are also some rules as to what type of account you season your monies in.

Supposedly a savings account is the preferred account, according to immigration.

The account must be cash but foreign currency may be accepted by some offices (there is a problem of what conversion rate to use so that could be a reason for refusal by some officials I suspect). I would get a firm yes first if intending to use such.

Suspect most people would be better served with a fixed deposit cash baht account earning interest however; and that is normally accepted without question.