Adult Films

alobar

OK not 'adult' films. Any movie theaters in CM with films for grown ups about?

No slight meant to my friends who like Captain America. I'm sure he's a valiant crusader and all but....

Just finished a glorious 10 days visiting the EU Film fest here and am feeling spoiled for more.

I know Alliance Francaise on Fridays but i'm talking about big screen first run films just a little deeper than Harry Potter. I know Airport and Central have'em occasionally.

FYI when I put in 'movie theatres' in the Chiang Mai search- the first response was for 'Thaksin rules out serving jail term'.??

I think there is not a big enough market here in Chiang mai for movies with an actual story line, and with conversations, Thais like action movies, Hollywood stuff, and of course Thai movies with a ladyboy and real bad acting.

Altough the EU filmfestival was busy.. but that might be because it was free...

Films concerning Shakespeare, Nietzsche, and US debt crisis do not do well in Thai movie theatres. :huh:

I told people back home, that I virtually had the cinema to myself during a showing of The King's Speech at Vista.

Their response....."yeah sure, Academy Award winning film and no punters".

I think it had stiff competition from Kung <deleted> Panda though.

Might I recommend investigating torrent sites ? For legal downloads only, of course.

You can also google 'streaming documentaries' and find all kinds of great stuff. All you need do is provide the popcorn at home.

I frequently torrent..but hadn't thought of that google search...it brought up a nice result..cheers!

A question re movies in Chiang Mai

Do you get major releases in Thai-only, Thai with English subtitles, or English?

Curious as to what size population of English-speakers warrants either option 2 or 3.

When we were in Sa Kaeo the nearest movie theatre was 130km west to Chachoengsao's 5-cinema complex, but all movies in Thai only.

Now further south in Chanthaburi and have two multi-screen theatres to choose from, but again, Thai only, which is fair enough there are very few native English-speaking folk here that I'm aware of. I've met seven in four months, and six of those were at one time, a group of young teachers in the city on a 1yr contract.

I understand Pattaya may show English language movies due to the expat population there? Never been there, only as far as Rayong and once again, big cinema complex and when we were there, Thai language only.

thanks

Films concerning Shakespeare, Nietzsche, and US debt crisis do not do well in Thai movie theatres. :huh:

I told people back home, that I virtually had the cinema to myself during a showing of The King's Speech at Vista.

Their response....."yeah sure, Academy Award winning film and no punters".

I think it had stiff competition from Kung <deleted> Panda though.

True indeed. especially the Kung <deleted> Panda part, sad.

Do you get major releases in Thai-only, Thai with English subtitles, or English?

Curious as to what size population of English-speakers warrants either option 2 or 3.

When we were in Sa Kaeo the nearest movie theatre was 130km west to Chachoengsao's 5-cinema complex, but all movies in Thai only.

Now further south in Chanthaburi and have two multi-screen theatres to choose from, but again, Thai only, which is fair enough there are very few native English-speaking folk here that I'm aware of. I've met seven in four months, and six of those were at one time, a group of young teachers in the city on a 1yr contract.

I understand Pattaya may show English language movies due to the expat population there? Never been there, only as far as Rayong and once again, big cinema complex and when we were there, Thai language only.

thanks

There are two major commercial venues for movies in Chiang Mai: Central Airport Plaza and Kad Suan Kaew mall. Airport Plaza seems to be focused (somewhat) on the expat and tourist trade in that they show western movies with their original English sountrack and Thai subtitles. Of late, Kad Suan Kaew has taken to showing just about every movie with a Thai soundtrack and no subtitles, which means non-Thais are out-of-luck and wondering why Angelina Jolie sounds like some fragile, proper young lady instead of the kick-ass broad she really is.

Maybe the recent success of the EU Film Festival will show the mgt. of KSK that there is a market for western films (provided the pricing is correct i.e. free) Sounds like a great business model -- Not!

thanks

There are two major commercial venues for movies in Chiang Mai: Central Airport Plaza and Kad Suan Kaew mall. Airport Plaza seems to be focused (somewhat) on the expat and tourist trade in that they show western movies with their original English sountrack and Thai subtitles. Of late, Kad Suan Kaew has taken to showing just about every movie with a Thai soundtrack and no subtitles, which means non-Thais are out-of-luck and wondering why Angelina Jolie sounds like some fragile, proper young lady instead of the kick-ass broad she really is.

Maybe the recent success of the EU Film Festival will show the mgt. of KSK that there is a market for western films (provided the pricing is correct i.e. free) Sounds like a great business model -- Not!

Agreed on all points. After watching Transformers III with an all-Thai soundtrack and no subtitles, I'm finished with that. The EU event was an eye-opening experience on all levels. I now remember how important movies are.

Yes, movies are important. Just today I had lunch with another female expat friend and we talked about the many ways that Jane Austen has influenced modern movies, especially those aimed at a young female audience vs. the comic book influence in modern movies made to appeal to young men.

Oh, maybe I should have posted this under the "what's wrong with expats in CM" thread. Personally, I never have any problems having intelligent converations with people and I find movies are a shared experience with broad appeal.

In the end what are movies for, entertainment yes there are a few out there where the director wanted to explore his inner self yuk. Really anymore how many films are produced that will appeal to those looking for a message or to activate a higher learning center in ones brain. Go for the entertainment and forget it when you walk out. If you want something more meaningful go talk to a friend or read a good book.

In the end what are movies for, entertainment yes there are a few out there where the director wanted to explore his inner self yuk. Really anymore how many films are produced that will appeal to those looking for a message or to activate a higher learning center in ones brain. Go for the entertainment and forget it when you walk out. If you want something more meaningful go talk to a friend or read a good book.

Yes, that's why it's always fascinating to see a great book turned into a movie. It opens up the book to a wider audience. Plus, if you look at a movie and think it's entertaining, I think the value increases once you realize it's yet another take on an Austen book.

Buy DVDs at one of the many places... torrent anything you want.... get a VPN and stream ANY movie you can think of on Netflix... there is a million choices.

Since that invention the internet you can watch any movie you want any time you want. Isn't it great?

Yes, that's why it's always fascinating to see a great book turned into a movie.

I agree, but movies that are as good as the books are few and far between. IMHO, "The Mambo Kings" film was better than the book, but that is the only one that I can think of offhand.

Yes, that's why it's always fascinating to see a great book turned into a movie.

I agree, but movies that are as good as the books are few and far between. IMHO, "The Mambo Kings" film was better than the book, but that is the only one that I can think of offhand.

Mario Puzo is a good writer, but I think The Godfather movie is better and shot Puzo to fame.

Other movies as good as the book IMO. Silence of the Lambs, Shawshank Redemption and I think the Bourne movies qualify too.

Yesterday, I saw 'Horrible Bosses' at Cineplex. Some funny (and vulgar) moments, worth a look if you have nothing else to do.

The Thai's were very attracted to the big Smurf poster, advertising its coming in October.

Edited by uptheos

Yes, you can obtain any movie any time on a computer, but nothing beats the experience of watching it in a theater. I try to support the theaters when they bring movies like "The King's Speech" here and usually there are just a handful of people in the room. That was part of the fun of the EU Film festival -- being in a theater full (too full) of people. The audience reaction can be part of the experience.

Yes, you can obtain any movie any time on a computer, but nothing beats the experience of watching it in a theater. I try to support the theaters when they bring movies like "The King's Speech" here and usually there are just a handful of people in the room. That was part of the fun of the EU Film festival -- being in a theater full (too full) of people. The audience reaction can be part of the experience.

Couldn't agree more. There's nothing like getting really involved in a movie, and then have a few mobile phones ringing, and people getting up and down out of their seats to shuffle past you 3 or 4 times during the movie. I also liked the guy that discovered that the empty chair in front of him squeeked when he pushed it with his foot, which he found infinitely more entertaining than the movie itself.

I LOVE movies, and anyone that knows me will attest to that. But I have all but had it with going to the cinema, as I am the sort of person that enjoys getting involved in the movie, and cannot stand the ignorance of some other cinema-goers. It truly winds me up. So Im happy with my Big Screen TV and Surround System and my recliner. :) Next year, I will be setting up a 3D Projector, so I won't even miss out on those.

Yes, you can obtain any movie any time on a computer, but nothing beats the experience of watching it in a theater. I try to support the theaters when they bring movies like "The King's Speech" here and usually there are just a handful of people in the room.

There's been a few good movies at Vista, but I find the picture and sound quality quite bad.

Still, I agree about watching a movie in the cinema on the big screen (but I do get annoyed at the mobiles flashing).

Maybe I could try wearing a set of those horse blinkers.