Riding In Thailand

So, (probably illegally) rode a motorbike with the guidance of a friend in CM a while back, and been enamored with the idea since. I've got a Thai DL, but I think it only covers cars. Recently, I've been thinking of doing it proper, and as such, have a bunch of questions I'm hoping the veterans in this forum will be able to help me with. :jap: :lol:

1. Is there a school/center where I can learn to properly ride a bike? I've learnt by doing, but figure there should be some proper training.

2. Is getting a bike license similar to getting the car one? Do I have to somehow show up with a bike to take the practical?

Thanks guys. :)

1: Not sure if they have teaching schools for that here, I don't think so, people are learning by doing and if they survive the first week the chances of survival improves greatly. Start with a small auto bike or a Wave, if in CM not too much traffic. Friend of mine from Denmark got the license back home in order to learn it properly, riding on track-wet road riding and so on.

2: Yes you will have to bring your "own" bike to take the test on a small track.

Good luck and ride safely.

There are a few places in bangkok that offer rider training. I think Honda and Yamaha have big schools, but I'm not sure of their location - maybe someone else can help with the addresses and links?

As for your license - you do need a Thai motorbike license to drive a bike, but it is very easy. It is basically the same theory test as the car, followed by a short drive around a course (in and out of cones). You can show up with your own bike, or most the time motorbike taxi guys will let you rent one of theirs for a couple of hundred baht.

Good Luck

There are a few places in bangkok that offer rider training. I think Honda and Yamaha have big schools, but I'm not sure of their location - maybe someone else can help with the addresses and links?

As for your license - you do need a Thai motorbike license to drive a bike, but it is very easy. It is basically the same theory test as the car, followed by a short drive around a course (in and out of cones). You can show up with your own bike, or most the time motorbike taxi guys will let you rent one of theirs for a couple of hundred baht.

Good Luck

For a couple of hundred baht you can rent a bike for the full day here in CM.

Do you currently have an international drivers permit? If so, you may find motorcycles have been included on this already. If this is the case you can simply present this rather than doing the test if you wish.

The test consisted of colour blindness test, reaction speed test, watching an informational video then answering questions. The practical test lasted all of five minutes. Weave through about 8 traffic cones, turn right and drive slowly down a plank of wood and that was it.

Not difficult by any means at all.

In the UK there is CBT (compulsory Basic Training) which all riders have to do before getting out onto the roads to learn how to ride properly. This would make you an advanced rider compared to the Thai motorcycle licensing standards laugh.gif

Honda and Yamaha have training schools in Bkk. Google Honda safety centre. If you take the course and pass you also get the license. most land transport centres. will provide a bike for the 5minute test 20b

Thanks for the heaps of quick replies, guys. I'm currently residing in BKK, so will have to find a school here. I'll go try to look up the Honda/Yamaha schools. Any idea if I have to take the computer test again if I already have a Thai car DL?

As for IDL, I just looked into it and it says for use with 4-wheeled vehicles. :(

Are any of you guys here in BKK? Would you recommend against starting out riding around here?

On a side note, I think it's silly how you're supposed to show up for the practical test with your own vehicle.

Any idea if I have to take the computer test again if I already have a Thai car DL?

Yes you do - some of the questions are different and bike specific (where can you not ride a bike legally, who is exempt having to wear a helmet, hand signals, etc)

On a side note, I think it's silly how you're supposed to show up for the practical test with your own vehicle.

Wouldn't it be rather more "silly" if you were expected to take the test on a bike (or in a car) you had never been on before, or which the previous rider had just dropped? This criticism often comes up, yet those voicing it seem oblivious to the fact that no country I know of provides a test bike or car - you show up with your own bike or car, accompanied/driven by a driver with a licence. You pass and you can drive home alone, you fail and (legally) you can't - just as it is in other countries.