Looking For A Bagpiper

keo

Yes I know somebody.I will ask him in a few days when I see him.We will be over in Chiang Mai hopefully next week.I would not give out his contact details until I ask him.It would help if I can tellnhim why you eould like a piper? Wedding or something I guess but let me know some details.

I think they're just called 'pipers' like 100 pipers whisky.

I have a set of northumbrian small pipes (bagpipes)

but you really wouldn't want to hear me try and play them!

David

Thought that was the idea of pipes. They sound so horrible that the Sassanachs will run away from the sound.

I think they're just called 'pipers' like 100 pipers whisky.

I have a set of northumbrian small pipes (bagpipes)

but you really wouldn't want to hear me try and play them!

David

Thought that was the idea of pipes. They sound so horrible that the Sassanachs will run away from the sound.

I believe that they were indeed classified, for some 40 years (?) or so, as a weapon-of-war ! Hoots & toots ye dinna like ! :lol:

But personally I love the sound of the pipes, whether in a traditional marching-band, or in the hands of a gifted man such as Mike Katz (of the Battlefield Band) who can give them a completely different 'feel'. Which is not to say that other sorts of bagpipes are not also interesting. Whether the mellow Northumbrian, or the Irish (smoothly-flowing in the hands of a wild drunken inspired player !), the Breton (remember 'Malicorne' ?) or reedy Gallician pipes, love-em-all ! :thumbsup:

There is an absolutely beautiful version of Amazing Grace sung by a group called Il Divo...... it includes a piper in full dress playing along in what looks to be one of the arches or the Roman Coliseum . Great version if you have a chance of seeing it...... really puts goose bumps up your spine

Gonzo

Edit

Here is a You Tube link if its permitted.

http://moriech-thenightingale.blogspot.com/2011/06/il-divo-amazing-grace-atch-for-lone.html

Edited by Gonzo the Face

I wouldn't mind having a piper play Amazing Grace when my wife throws my ashes in the river. Of course I won't know it, but I'll mention it to her. :rolleyes:

Nice idea, but sad that you would have missed it, if only by a few days ! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind having a piper play Amazing Grace when my wife throws my ashes in the river. Of course I won't know it, but I'll mention it to her. :rolleyes:

Nice idea, but sad that you would have missed it, if only by a few days ! :rolleyes:

....... like you say, to have lived so many years and then miss it by just a few days......whata shame....

Maybe you could fake your death.....seems like a lotta folks come to Thailand and are doing that these days....at least according to the local fish wrap....

Just a word of caution, don't let the music lull you to sleep and remember to get out of the box before the BBQ

:D

Yes I know somebody.I will ask him in a few days when I see him.We will be over in Chiang Mai hopefully next week.I would not give out his contact details until I ask him.It would help if I can tellnhim why you eould like a piper? Wedding or something I guess but let me know some details.

Good luck. I'll keep reading this because I too have an interesting 'performance' opportunity here in CM for a good piper, Scots or Irish.

The last one we had here, excellent and with the full Scots regalia, was a senior teacher at Nakorn International. Very sadly he left about 6 months ago, never to return, I hear. He went back to his native..............America!

Amazing, Grace!!

ermm..........is there such a word as,....'Bagpiper' ?

Is that really what a person who plays the bagpipes is called ?

Ok, they are more commonly referred to as a piper, but I wanted to be clear about what I was asking for, thereby avoiding any yoga types recommending a good panpiper (which isn't a word).

There is an absolutely beautiful version of Amazing Grace sung by a group called Il Divo...... it includes a piper in full dress playing along in what looks to be one of the arches or the Roman Coliseum . Great version if you have a chance of seeing it...... really puts goose bumps up your spine

Gonzo

Edit

Here is a You Tube link if its permitted.

http://moriech-thenightingale.blogspot.com/2011/06/il-divo-amazing-grace-atch-for-lone.html

Very good - the piper did it for me shame he didn't play longer.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Reminds me of the young Scotsman who moved to London. His mother called and asked him how it was going. He said his neighbors were horrible. One beat on the walls all night and another played loud music.

So He just kept on playing his bag pipes.

Good luck. I'll keep reading this because I too have an interesting 'performance' opportunity here in CM for a good piper, Scots or Irish.

The last one we had here, excellent and with the full Scots regalia, was a senior teacher at Nakorn International. Very sadly he left about 6 months ago, never to return, I hear. He went back to his native..............America!

Amazing, Grace!!

This is sad news!! Andrew McReady bagpiper par exscellence of Tennessee USA, was a fine piper, who once piped in the haggis on a Burns night at The Pub. A good teacher too at Nakhorn Payap. He'll be sadly missed

• 2 weeks later...

its also known as axilism.......Im sure there are plenty of places in chiang mai where you might find a willing practitoner

An Englishman walks into a pub with an octopus. He sits the octopus down on a stool and tell everyone in the pub this is a very talented animal. "He can play any musical instrument in the world."

Everyone in the pub laughs, calling him an idiot. So he says that he will bet $50 to anyone who has an instrument that the octopus can't play.

A Welshman walks up with a guitar and sets it beside the octopus. Immediately the octopus picks up the guitar and starts playing better than Segovia. The Welshman pays his $50.

Another Englishman walks up with a trumpet. This time the octopus plays the trumpet better than Miles Davis. This Englishman also pays up his $50.

Then a Scotsman walks up with some bagpipes. He gives them to the octopus who fumbles around with them in a confused fashion for several minutes.

"Ha!" the Scot says, "Can ye nae play it?"

The octopus looks up at him and says, "Play it? I'm going to make love to it as soon as I figure out hove to get it's pajamas off?"

Edited by cerbera

Yeah, getting married. Thanks.

And as it happens I managed to sort a piper out thanks to Mr.Gonzo (cheers Gonzo!). It's the man from Nakorn Payap who has been mentioned before.

Cheers

Congratulations and all the best to you and yours Keo.....

glad it all worked out in the end.

just a thought..... if someone did take a bit of video, and you would like to share, I'm sure many of us would like to see what a Scotish bagpiped wedding, in Thailand, looks like.... don't mean to impose or pry but it must have been interesting to say the least.

Stop by when you can...... be happy to shout you a congratulatory Krypto-coffee.

Gonzo

:jap:

Edited by Gonzo the Face

There is also a very good Piper who resides in Chiang Rai.

His name is Angus and he Enjoys to play the Pipes for an audinace that appreciates them.

Don't see him too much, but if anyone needs, I can find a way to contact him.

Edited by KimoMax