I Bought A Chevy Cruze

Seriously, this is the first car forum i have ever seen where people care about car resale.

From where im from, you find the car that fits your personality and you buy it. It's not an investment, its a pleasure/toy

Where are you from? Dubai perhaps?

I'm from the UK. One of the most beautiful cars on the road is the Citroen C6. It sells however in tiny numbers, like most big French cars. Why? Well, one of the main reasons is depreciation. If you buy a BM or a Benz you can trade it in after a few years, and you don't have to start from fresh with repayments. With a C6, you pretty much would. Pop stars, football players, tycoons, these people don't care about depreciation. Everyone else does.

Why is depreciation such a concern when one buys a car? A car is just one of many durable consumer goods that one generally purchases throughout one's lifetime. At a later date, it may have some residual value or its value may have been totally consumed and it goes to the scrap heap. Generally, people don't consider residual value when purchasing consumable consumer goods. When one buys a washing machine or refrigerator, do you consider it's future value when deciding which model to buy...or do you select on features, design, and price? I would offer that the same makes the most sense for an auto purchase as well.

The value of a car comes from the transportation services it provides during its lifetime...not what it may be worth at some future point in time.

Especially since that future could fall out at any point in time without any guarantees what-so-ever look at how many people bought high end SUV's and other high end cars and then the market dropped out from underneath them. I'm seriously looking at buying myself a Merc SLK Kompressor when I get back home never would have considered that previously. You can get nice ones, mid 2000's for $5000/$10,000 dollars!! Those people thought they were going to have a nice return when they bought and then sold but look what happened? No way of knowing what the future brings so live for the current comforts in this case IMO..

That's a handsome car and it's dirt cheap what would that cost here you think?

021458.03.jpg

Ahhh! Top down, clean, cool winter air and bright warm sunshine! Can't wait!

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, this is the first car forum i have ever seen where people care about car resale.

From where im from, you find the car that fits your personality and you buy it. It's not an investment, its a pleasure/toy

I'm from the UK. One of the most beautiful cars on the road is the Citroen C6. It sells however in tiny numbers, like most big French cars. Why? Well, one of the main reasons is depreciation. If you buy a BM or a Benz you can trade it in after a few years, and you don't have to start from fresh with repayments. With a C6, you pretty much would. Pop stars, football players, tycoons, these people don't care about depreciation. Everyone else does.

Why is depreciation such a concern when one buys a car? A car is just one of many durable consumer goods that one generally purchases throughout one's lifetime. At a later date, it may have some residual value or its value may have been totally consumed and it goes to the scrap heap. Generally, people don't consider residual value when purchasing consumable consumer goods. When one buys a washing machine or refrigerator, do you consider it's future value when deciding which model to buy...or do you select on features, design, and price? I would offer that the same makes the most sense for an auto purchase as well.

The value of a car comes from the transportation services it provides during its lifetime...not what it may be worth at some future point in time.

Especially since that future could fall out at any point in time without any guarantees what-so-ever look at how many people bought high end SUV's and other high end cars and then the market dropped out from underneath them. I'm seriously looking at buying myself a Merc SLK Kompressor when I get back home never would have considered that previously. You can get nice ones, mid 2000's for $5000/$10,000 dollars!! Those people thought they were going to have a nice return when they bought and then sold but look what happened? No way of knowing what the future brings so live for the current comforts in this case IMO..

021458.03.jpg

Designed for the girlies. :)

The mans merc's are a bit different.

021458.03.jpg

Designed for the girlies. :)

The mans merc's are a bit different.

Meh, more envy there T/A...... Yes, very good for picking them up it is, deserves the title "pickup" more then a Vigo :lol: ...

Edited by WarpSpeed

i thought the merc was for the miss and the m3 was for the man of the house? :lol:

I answered that already... Most misses I know don't have the first clue what carbon fiber is so this car's not for them..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Citroen C6 :huh:, just shows how different we all are to motor beauty. :)

post-48298-0-71415400-1314767123_thumb.j

My taste (in cars) has always been towards something a bit different, and Citroen are the past masters at that.

Some people thought the DS was ugly too.

post-48298-0-64777200-1314767280_thumb.j

Charming and elegant in my eyes.

Sorry. Tokyo drifted off topic.

For most people, behind purchase of a home, a car is the most expensive thing they will ever buy. For me, that's what makes it different from a washing machine or a refrigerator, which when i buy, i write off the money spent. With a car, it's level of depreciation will to a degree, determine the money i have available for the next buy.

Car manufacturers producing cars that become virtually worthless after a few years must love it when customers like you come through the door.

Hot News. Obama has signed to Drive with Hamilton..Cruze has turned to Snooze. I want to know why its so long for Tom to get one. Showrooms are littered with this Dream Machine,Salespersons are dragging the poor of their Scooters to sell them one,even offering a good P.X on CBRs.:D

If you don't know why I haven't picked up mine yet, then you haven't been reading what I posted.

It has been at the dealer for 1 1/2 weeks.

Removing cloth to install leather is no joke. It is a lot of work. Here is an example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ7CfLEeogc

FFW to the end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LNyhLEqO2g

Wow, great post! Can you do us all a favor and put up the videos of them putting air in the tires and fuel in the tank of your new ride? Is it done the same as in an much inferior Honda or Toyota? They must have a better way, right????

For most people, behind purchase of a home, a car is the most expensive thing they will ever buy. For me, that's what makes it different from a washing machine or a refrigerator, which when i buy, i write off the money spent. With a car, it's level of depreciation will to a degree, determine the money i have available for the next buy.

Car manufacturers producing cars that become virtually worthless after a few years must love it when customers like you come through the door.

Point is, in the end, if you keep cars 10 or more years they're ALL worthless. Especially in Thailand, it's really hard to get less than 200,000 for a used car, unless it's a really bad super old crappy tin can. As I've said before, they gave us 190,000 baht for our 15 year old Accord. That's pretty much the bottom you'll get regardless. 200,000 is good for a down payment. My City was only 6 1/2 years so I got 300,000, but if I had waited to 10+ years it would've been much less.

I agree with FarangBuddah. Why buy a crap Civic when the Chevy Cruze will give you a much better ride, comfort and feeling during its lifetime? Seems like you are one of those people who will get the plastic tin can Civic just because it has a high resale value here and you buy cars every 4 years.

Any comments about the Cruze's resale value in 4-5 years is complete speculation since it is a brand new car. You have no idea what will happen in the next 5 years.

The Cruze's superior handling is very apparent, for example, avoiding obstacles. The Civic moves side to side and you feel like you're inside a washing machine. The Cruze stays planted and solid. The ESP works perfectly. I'm getting a much better and safer driving experience, 4 year resale value be damned.

Not to mention, when you open up the hood of a Civic, they still have those 1980's batteries that you have to open and fill in battery fluid. Jesus.

Not to mention, when you open the hood it feels like you're opening a can. The hood is thin and light. The same with the doors. They are light, thin, tin can feel and they don't even open and close smoothly. If you get hit from the side, you're dead. The Cruze's doors are heavy like a truck, and open and close very smoothly. Feels safe, solid, quality, complete opposite of the Civic.

The Civic inside is cheap thin plastic and the cloth is that 80's toyota tercel cloth. Everything about it is shit. But, GREAT resale value! :rolleyes:

Edited by thaicruze

Wow, great post! Can you do us all a favor and put up the videos of them putting air in the tires and fuel in the tank of your new ride? Is it done the same as in an much inferior Honda or Toyota? They must have a better way, right????

Wow.

You= get a life.

I forgot to put this one here

2012 Honda Accord

From consumer reports. ROAD NOISE gets annoying (Cruze is way quieter for less)

and look at how badly it handles. It knocked out all those cones. Cruze even handles better. for less.

Accord - another pile of shit from Honda.

Edited by thaicruze

I forgot to put this one here

2012 Honda Accord

From consumer reports. ROAD NOISE gets annoying (Cruze is way quieter for less)

and look at how badly it handles. It knocked out all those cones. Cruze even handles better. for less.

Accord - another pile of shit from Honda.

This from the guy who says don't believe online reviews. Practice what you preach.

Point is, you keep a cruze for 1 year, it's worthless...

once you drive it off the lot, its worthless, look in the rear view mirror to see a bunch of chevy salesmen, jumping for joy "we sold ONE! we sold ONE!" throwin a big ol party to celebrate...

and the chevy GM (here on this board) drinking himself to a frenzy for a job well done...

"Chevy Cruze -- Not just sold! OVERSOLD!"

Point is, you keep a cruze for 1 year, it's worthless...

once you drive it off the lot, its worthless, look in the rear view mirror to see a bunch of chevy salesmen, jumping for joy "we sold ONE! we sold ONE!" throwin a big ol party to celebrate...

and the chevy GM (here on this board) drinking himself to a frenzy for a job well done...

"Chevy Cruze -- Not just sold! OVERSOLD!"

I'm seeing LOTS of them on the roads of Pattaya. Pretty good for a rather small make (in Thailand) and the car itself looks great. Cruz, Captiva, new truck coming...GM on the way back with quality and design...I've waited 30 years for this renaissance!

Pretty good for a rather small make (in Thailand) and the car itself looks great.

Looks great? Do you really think this or are you just saying?

To me, the front looks quite striking. I like it. The rest however, side profile and back end, i find exceptionally ordinary - just another anonymous Japanese fleet car. No? What are you seeing that i'm not?

I agree its not a bad looking car inside and out ,apart from cloth on dash. My worry is the reliability issues with GM products.

Well, it's really not a GM USA product but comes from their Korean affiliate/division. The design/engineering comes from there...not sure where the engine is sourced and I understand the Thai model is made at GM's Rayong plant. I have not heard many complaints about vehicles from there having quality issues. In addition, I will be the first to agree that GM (and all USA car-makers) had serious engineering and assembly quality issues for decades but those, for the most part, are a thing of the past. Ford/GM vehicles, at least models designed within the past decade or so, have rated average to above average in most surveys...so much that I would not hesitate to buy such a vehicle now. Whereas, in previous decades, I would never have even considered buying something other than a Japanese nameplate.

As to the Cruze's looks, I just think it looks pretty good (but like in women, it's very subjective to be sure :lol:), especially considering it's coming from the same company that designed (and actually tried to sell) the Pontiac Aztec :bah:

Edited by FarangBuddha

I agree its not a bad looking car inside and out ,apart from cloth on dash. My worry is the reliability issues with GM products.

Yes I too have some worries in that regard. My neighbor bought a new Avero app. 2 years ago and that was parked more at the dealer ship than outside his house. In the end he sold it and bought a Viros instead.

Edited by guzzi850m2

Think OP you should come clean and tell us your real interest in the coverage of this ride. If you are indeed a sales person, l think you now have lost a lot of sales through this topic. ;)

He works for Honda or Toyota. Hes boosted their sales if red plates mean much. I think all 3 Ive seen are driven by Trilby Hatted Geriatrics at 100 in the BMW Lane , past the Airport towards Fun City. !!!. They Dont Arf Wobble when you blast past em @220, Tuna Style :cheesy::guitar:

Think OP you should come clean and tell us your real interest in the coverage of this ride. If you are indeed a sales person, l think you now have lost a lot of sales through this topic. ;)

He works for Honda or Toyota. Hes boosted their sales if red plates mean much. I think all 3 Ive seen are driven by Trilby Hatted Geriatrics at 100 in the BMW Lane , past the Airport towards Fun City. !!!. They Dont Arf Wobble when you blast past em @220, Tuna Style :cheesy::guitar:

Concur. :lol:

Hi,

I went into our Chevy dealership after my boss recently got a Cruze. The kicker for me is that they are prepared to take my Focus as part exchange (as the sales assistant had very nice legs and was knowledgeable about the car too.)

The model drove well and felt good inside. I went to Honda immediately afterwards to compare the Civic (I used to own a 2006 2.0 and loved it) but the reception was pitiful, one sour looking lady with only one car (a Freed) for viewing and a City for test. Honda give nothing away for free - no insurance, nowt. She showed no enthusiasm at all, so I left with a feeling of 'sorry, but you've just lost a customer'. Maybe because they are one of the top dogs, they get complacent? Either way, happy with the Chevy service and the Cruze itself.

I am considering the manual at 30k less and using that money to get leather interior. I, like the OP, would look at the LS for about 850k.

The Mitsu Lancer Ex is next on my list... I shall read this post with interest.

Cheers

James

Hi,

I went into our Chevy dealership after my boss recently got a Cruze. The kicker for me is that they are prepared to take my Focus as part exchange (as the sales assistant had very nice legs and was knowledgeable about the car too.)

The model drove well and felt good inside. I went to Honda immediately afterwards to compare the Civic (I used to own a 2006 2.0 and loved it) but the reception was pitiful, one sour looking lady with only one car (a Freed) for viewing and a City for test. Honda give nothing away for free - no insurance, nowt. She showed no enthusiasm at all, so I left with a feeling of 'sorry, but you've just lost a customer'. Maybe because they are one of the top dogs, they get complacent? Either way, happy with the Chevy service and the Cruze itself.

I am considering the manual at 30k less and using that money to get leather interior. I, like the OP, would look at the LS for about 850k.

Cheers

James

Don't really think main agent staff should have anything to do with a car choice. Otherwise if your happy with the sales person then perhapsTHEY have sold you the ride and not about your own decisions about what you want. I personally hate sales personnel, they lie and tell you what you want to hear, what ever they are selling. If l buy something l want the staff to keep away. ;)

Hi,

Cheers

James

Don't really think main agent staff should have anything to do with a car choice. Otherwise if your happy with the sales person then perhapsTHEY have sold you the ride and not about your own decisions about what you want. I personally hate sales personnel, they lie and tell you what you want to hear, what ever they are selling. If l buy something l want the staff to keep away. ;)

On this we so much agree, give me space and don't make an ass of yourself trying to SELL me on something I'm well versed on before I came to your business. Often times I can tell them more about the product then they even know themselves so that usually backs them off pretty quickly, at least the smart ones do..

Edited by WarpSpeed