I Bought A Chevy Cruze

Focus still struggling to get the thai markets attention.

The problem with the current Focus is that everyone knows the next-gen is already out in most other markets, and it looks a gazzilion times better (well, the 4-door does anyway and that's what Thai's are interested in).

It's pretty clear from all the Thai language forums I read that the vast majority of Thais recognize the lower B-segment has only two proper choices for a 5-door (the Fiesta and the Jazz) and most also recognize the new Ranger as being the best pickup money can buy. So Ford have managed to achieve a strong brand in a short time (well, as a tier-2 anyway). This is why I see them as being in a good position to have a successful Focus lauch in Q1/2012.

By contrast, when Chev launched the Cruze, they had one of Thailand's least favorite trucks, and the least favorite lower B-segment car (Aveo) - both of them key segments for brand value in TH... It's pretty hard to pry 800K-1.1M Baht from the hands of people who see you're brand as being at the bottom of the pack...

For Thai's buying tier-2, they need to feel they have plenty of retort ammo when the inevitable "why didn't you buy a Toyota/Honda/Isuzu?" question pops up - Ford is doing a much better job than Chev at answering those kinds of questions, IMHO.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:hit-the-fan:[/url] :hit-the-fan: :yohan:

The problem with the current Focus is that everyone knows the next-gen is already out in most other markets, and it looks a gazzilion times better (well, the 4-door does anyway and that's what Thai's are interested in).

It's pretty clear from all the Thai language forums I read that the vast majority of Thais recognize the lower B-segment has only two proper choices for a 5-door (the Fiesta and the Jazz) and most also recognize the new Ranger as being the best pickup money can buy. So Ford have managed to achieve a strong brand in a short time (well, as a tier-2 anyway). This is why I see them as being in a good position to have a successful Focus lauch in Q1/2012.

By contrast, when Chev launched the Cruze, they had one of Thailand's least favorite trucks, and the least favorite lower B-segment car (Aveo) - both of them key segments for brand value in TH... It's pretty hard to pry 800K-1.1M Baht from the hands of people who see you're brand as being at the bottom of the pack...

For Thai's buying tier-2, they need to feel they have plenty of retort ammo when the inevitable "why didn't you buy a Toyota/Honda/Isuzu?" question pops up - Ford is doing a much better job than Chev at answering those kinds of questions, IMHO.

They hid the fact they were selling Daewoo

Thais wanted their first Chevy , i think you only upset a Thai once. Honda lost street cred trying to pass the Travelmaster as their own, when it was are rebadged Isuze. I cant see the Cruze selling in numbers unless they do a Taxi version like Toyo do to stay sector leader with the Altis.

They hid the fact they were selling Daewoo

Thais wanted their first Chevy , i think you only upset a Thai once. Honda lost street cred trying to pass the Travelmaster as their own, when it was are rebadged Isuze. I cant see the Cruze selling in numbers unless they do a Taxi version like Toyo do to stay sector leader with the Altis.

Going after the taxi market didn't work for Nissan..

Ahh the Honda Tourmaster, agruably the most epic fail in Thai motoring history. I think that the few that did actually sell have all now been re-badged by the owners as Isuzu's anyway ;)

As for badge engineering Daewoo's - that only works if you have a decent spin machine.. Australia's Holden is pretty good at spinning twisted stories to convince the locals their cars are somehow "Australian" - but they've been doing that for 50 years, so deft at it now ;)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

• 10 months later...

Well, it's September 2012. I wanted to come back after a year and it's interesting reading all the comments a year later.

Don't know about you but I see a LOT of Cruze's on the road these days.

I remember someone saying I would sell it by the first year of ownership and that everything would be falling apart.

Well, to be honest I have had 2 noises. 1 noise they took care of it. Common issue on petrol Cruzes. Has to do with the charcoal canister. It took them 20 minutes. Noise gone. That was probably 6 or 7 months ago.

Recently I had a noise with the back brakes. Just a humm when I went in reverse. Took it in, again, they fixed that. No more noise. The common brake "rattle" you get in cars (I had that in my Sebring and much worse), but they took care of that. All for free of course.

and that's it as far as first year issues. 2 noises.

We enjoy the car. It's pretty. Turns right on everyday. Has never failed us or left us on the side of the road. The only difference form a year ago is that I see many more of them on the road.

I still think, even with the new Honda and Focus out, that I bought the best for me. The new Civic looks just like a City. It has improved a lot on the interior but still feels a bit small. Haven't test drove it but it already got recalled.

Focus also feels cramped unlike the previous one. More like a Mazda 3 now.

The Altis is the exact same plastic car as always. Hasn't changed. I'm sure it is a good car and my car caught on fire and I had to get something else other than a Cruze I would probably just get an Altis, but the cheap plastic smell drives me nuts.

Anyway, so far the Cruze has been a solid car. We drive it a lot. I've put almost 30,000KM in 1 year. I've had noises here and there but the car is in perfect working order.

I took this pic the other day

38A2E641-3A3F-49BB-B536-FEAB06446C4D-1267-0000029DEC0451C5.jpg

I don't know how someone here mistook that for a Honda Civic, but OK.

Edited by thaicruze

^

Well, not really "again". Everyone was saying and predicting what would happen in 1 year. So, there is the car there. 1 year later. As you can see is in one piece. I still own it, haven't sold it, hasn't broken down on the side of the road.

I fill up every 7 days. I do 80-90km per day. Total fill up between 1,600-1,800 baht.

What I can say about my experience with the Cruze is that I will never buy another small car again. If I get out of the Cruze I will probably buy something like a CRV or a Pajero Sport. I wouldn't be able to do a Mazda 2 type car again.

Edited by thaicruze

Hi Thaicruze. I arrived on this forum way after your first posts. it is good to read your first year user account.

However, the Cruze may be a good car, but I would have been pretty reluctant to buy anything like a Chevy due to its past reputation.

This being said keep posting about your experience and try filling us in objectively in on the long-term ownership.

The important is that YOU are happy with your car.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Hi Thaicruze. I arrived on this forum way after your first posts. it is good to read your first year user account.

However, the Cruze may be a good car, but I would have been pretty reluctant to buy anything like a Chevy due to its past reputation.

This being said keep posting about your experience and try filling us in objectively in on the long-term ownership.

The important is that YOU are happy with your car.

I didn't know what to expect from this car. I just bought it and crossed my fingers because I just didn't like anything else.

I could've gone with the obvious choice, Civic or Altis a year ago, but I don't like either and I didn't want to pay for something I didn't like.

The only 1 annoying issue in the first year were the rear brake noise, but it isn't that there is anything wrong with them, just noise. They've checked the brakes a couple fo times to make sure. THey had me under the car and showed me everything. It's all good. While I was under there I noticed my calipers are made in Sweden. Who knew.

Brake rattle/humm/noise/squeeks aren't uncommon.

Not only am I seeing plenty of Cruzes on the road, but the Sonic JUST came out and I'm already seeing them on the road as well.

Edited by thaicruze

I have just found out the 2011 Chevy Cruze is exceptional. Was looking at information on a Scanguge 2 and for 2011 it works with everything, except the Cruze. laugh.gif

Cheers

And yet the Scan Gauge website says it is compatible with the 2011 Cruze ?

I've had at least ten GM cars and only had one I thought was junk. I've had four Toyotas and two of those were junk.

My cars were

1- Nissan Maxima 1990. Possibly the best car I have ever had. The new one looks awesome. It is a gas guzzler but I would buy one in a second if I could.

2- Chrysler Sebring - Had a sunroof. It leaked. Paint wore down to the metal. front brakes would rattle every time even after changing the rotors, pads and calipers.

3- Honda City - As good as the Nissan Maxima but small. The only bad thing about that car is that it was too small and we drive too much. Good for the first 5 years and then it started getting uncomfortable. Started jerking into reverse sometimes and the ride down the highway at 120kph wasn't very nice.

4- Chevy Cruze - Most fun car I've owned. My wife and her family (whenever they are in the car) really enjoy it. Compared to the City is a boat. Only annoying issue was the rattle. But this was maybe twice I day that I would hear a click. They seem to have fixed that.

So, the only car I wouldn't buy again is a Chrysler. Chevy only minor noises. No real issues. Survived the flood. and it's perty in Red.

Having said that there is a 2011 LT Cruze just like mine, in red, already in the pre-owned section of the dealer. We asked. He said they said they wanted a bigger car.

I'm sure you could say the same about Honda. Some people bought hondas and had terrible experiences. or Toyota and it sucked. Other people swear by Toyota and Honda.

I can report after the first year that in my experience the Cruze is a good car. Let's see what 2013 brings.

I've had at least ten GM cars and only had one I thought was junk. I've had four Toyotas and two of those were junk.

My cars were

1- Nissan Maxima 1990. Possibly the best car I have ever had. The new one looks awesome. It is a gas guzzler but I would buy one in a second if I could.

2- Chrysler Sebring - Had a sunroof. It leaked. Paint wore down to the metal. front brakes would rattle every time even after changing the rotors, pads and calipers.

3- Honda City - As good as the Nissan Maxima but small. The only bad thing about that car is that it was too small and we drive too much. Good for the first 5 years and then it started getting uncomfortable. Started jerking into reverse sometimes and the ride down the highway at 120kph wasn't very nice.

4- Chevy Cruze - Most fun car I've owned. My wife and her family (whenever they are in the car) really enjoy it. Compared to the City is a boat. Only annoying issue was the rattle. But this was maybe twice I day that I would hear a click. They seem to have fixed that.

So, the only car I wouldn't buy again is a Chrysler. Chevy only minor noises. No real issues. Survived the flood. and it's perty in Red.

But Chrysler has changed considerably now too since bankruptcy and Fiat's buy in.. I'd definitely consider a new Dodge Dart though I know currently it's not available here but soon that won't matter for me.. Like Chevy you'll never know if one hasn't given them a try but their current offerings including their new 208Mph top speed Viper seem very much improved.. Edited by WarpSpeed

Are you sure that a Fiat participation in Chrysler is synonymous with quality? laugh.png

Yes I think so, they've made a lot of inroads themselves and the 500's racing in the states have been winning on a combination of both quickness and reliability believe it or not? Currently they are leading the SCCA world challenge series championship against the likes of Toyota's, Honda's and similarly competitive manufacturers and likely to lock it up in short order..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I've had my cruze for over a year and unlike with a honda, i have not had to get anything fixed.

Also the dealer treats me like a human being and getting anything out of them does not take 6months+

Me too. Aside from the 2 noises I've had nothing serious happen or fixed.

And I've had the same experience from my dealer. Although not all dealers are the same, mine are great.

I almost bought another Honda. I was there. I had the money, but the awful customer service lost my business. I guess they don't have to care since the cars sell themselves.

I've had my cruze for over a year and unlike with a honda, i have not had to get anything fixed.

Also the dealer treats me like a human being and getting anything out of them does not take 6months+

Please report back when you have 200/250K kms on it:) You can't tell reliability from only the first year or two. Most cars are generally ok for the warranty period.

weirdly honda and toyota seem to have a lot of trouble during those 2 years

Anyways only peasants keep their cars for more than 2-3years. I learned that from the thais

What exactly did you learn from the Thais ?

that you and me have been and most probably will be peasants wink.png

• Like 1

Anyways only peasants keep their cars for more than 2-3years. I learned that from the thais

Think your right, hope my mrs doesn't find out eh. whistling.gif ..............................smile.png

They only keep 2-3 years cos they trash them / crash them or otherwise don't maintain them/ Plenty of old, well maintained cars on the road. I think they are not peasants:)

Think your right, hope my mrs doesn't find out eh. whistling.gif ..............................smile.png

i don't have to worry. mine found out a long time ago that i'm a peasant.