'o' Thai Visa, Multiple Entry

I visit thailand normally 5 times a year for 3 to 4 week each time. I am planning to increase my length of stay starting this christmas as I plan a 6-7 week stay. I will then increase my stay as time goes by, I'm 51, UK Passport.

My question:

I'm planning on getting an non-immigrant 'O' Thai visa, multiple entry with reason being planning retirement at Hull. After the year visa has expired is it easy to get another O visa the following year with the same reason?

John

Edited by jflundy

jflundy,

It may be easy to get one this year (I have no idea), but one thing is for sure. Nobody can say about next year. Things change. Cardiff web site, for instance, earlier this year referred to issuing multi O: all you needed was a UK guarantor. No more.

It cannot have escaped MFA or Consulate Gen. attention that Hull is somewhat more flexible than other consulates (maybe even through this website).

You could always consider the 800k route i.e deposit 800k baht in a Thai bank to obtain a 1 year extension of stay...........draw on the money when you visit and with careful planning work it so that any funds you dont need during the year take out with you at the end of each visit (50k baht max in cash each time though) then time your last yearly visit to coincide with when you need to renew your extension of stay and top the 800k back up.

A multiple re-entry permit would be required to protect your years extension of course.

This way you wouldnt have to worry about any possible future changes in the issuing of visas.

Just a thought. :o

To avoid having to take out cash as Thaiflyer suggests, you could open a second Thai bank account and pay the cash into that. Get a visa electron card with the a/c (easy) and withdraw the cash in UK at virtually any ATM. OK you pay bank commission but you don't need to plan too far ahead, although you will need to take into account the daily withdrawal limit. You could even have the money transferred directly from your second a/c to your UK a/c but never having done that I don't know what questions are asked.

I have an idea the 50k cash limit has been relaxed/abolished but you may have to provide certification from a bank that the money was originally brought into the country, or otherwise prove it was legitmately obtained, to prevent money laundering. I've tried to check my facts before posting but easier to get somebody to contradict me as I'm off for a shandy or three. :o .

Thought...may be on the Bank of Thailand site

Anyway you've plenty time to look at the options.

To avoid having to take out cash as Thaiflyer suggests, you could open a second Thai bank account and pay the cash into that.

Reason i said take the cash out was that it could be sent back in when the time comes to renew the 1 year extension.............the funds should come from a foreign source and this wouldnt be the case if he just put it in a 2nd account here in Thailand.

Not quite as easy as just transferring money from a Thai account to a Uk account............fair enough if you have a work permit it can be done but if you dont, like i say not quite as straightforward.

As you suggest the International ATM card would be another option to get money back out of Thailand.

Without knowing the OP's financial set up though its difficult to advise.................he may be wealthy enough just to leave the residual of the 800k here in Thailand and just keeping topping up once a year to meet the requirements. :o

Couple of things:

It's good to hear that you can get repeats on the multi-entry visas.

With regards the 800,000K it would be nice if I could get some out to the UK for interest purposes. I would have thought the ATM route would consist of really bad exchange rates and you would have to weigh up the odds, unlike the Nationwide Card.

BTW limit on not taking out more then 50K signs were posted at Don Muang 4 weeks ago.

Edited by jflundy

jflundy.

Actually drawing out money in UK from an ATM on a Thai a/c will give you a far better rate of exchange than exchanging cash at the tourist rate.

I have not seen the signs at Don Muang but am advised (just spoken to a neighbour who works back of house for BKK Bank) that exchange controls in Thailand were lifted (long ago she says). She suggests 50k may the limit below which you do not have to disclose the origin of the money, and will get back to me.

Interesting. I'll give it a try. I've got a SCB Easy mastercard/Hip Card. Not much in it, may have to get the GF to put more in for a test. I'm in the UK now so will do the test. AT the moment your lucky to get 67 to the pound here via the tourist exchange. I'll let you know sap.

jflundy,

Spoke my neighbour again yesterday.

Pennies dropped.

There is a limit on amount of Thai banknotes you can take out the country (If BKK has signs saying 50K then that must be it). There is no limit on foreign banknotes however you can be required to provide evidence that, in your case, you brought/transferred the money into LOS - but chances of that happening are as near as dammit nil.

Anyway you get a much better rate of exchange changing THB into GBP in Thailand than back in the UK where you are ripped off.

I was a little harsh on Dr G and Daveb1. I have not doubt they have received multi O's but who can say next year - which is your original question.

Another reason to get a "retirement visa/extension" is that sooner or later (my guess is sooner) they are going to up the ante. Hopefully it will not apply to existing retirees.

I was a little harsh on Dr G and Daveb1. I have not doubt they have received multi O's but who can say next year - which is your original question.

That was the point i was trying to convey..............that there is an alternative available to the OP if they do tighten up the rules .

:o

BTW limit on not taking out more then 50K signs were posted at Don Muang 4 weeks ago.

The 50K limit is not a good way to go.

A baht note is worth much less outside the country.

If you need to take money out, buy travellers cheques.

As long as they are issued in Thailand I do not believe there is a limit.

Out of curiosity I will draw a tenner from my SCB account in the UK and see what they give me. I would imagine that it will be worse than buying UK pounds (T/C's) with Baht in Thailand.

If I go the retiree route then everyones in the same boat if they raise the minimum from 800,000K. So someone with a retiree visa that is 10 years renewed will have to pay the new minimum. That is correct isn't it?

Thanks Guys for all your input, much food for thought

John

Edited by jflundy

Out of curiosity I will draw a tenner from my SCB account in the UK and see what they give me. I would imagine that it will be worse than buying UK pounds (T/C's) with Baht in Thailand.

If I go the retiree route then everyones in the same boat if they raise the minimum from 800,000K. So someone with a retiree visa that is 10 years renewed will have to pay the new minimum. That is correct isn't it?

Thanks Guys for all your input, much food for thought

John

When the retirement criteria was last changed those already into the system did not have to meet the new requirements. 'Past performance is no guarantee - - -'.

What's stopping you getting a cheque from a Thai bank and posting it to the UK?-clearing'll be about 6 weeks - but you probably wouldn't be spending the money anyway...

An International Bank Draft is an option but why post (OP could take it with him)

and I believe EMS now charge minimum 900baht to UK. Risky to use ordinary post.

BKK bank internet banking service now allows online int.money transfer (OP wouldn't qualify as you need WP, but don't know about SCB).

jflundy

Withdrawing 10GBP wil probably give you a poor rate assuming SCB have a fixed minimum charge per transaction. What I can say is that when in the past I've returned to UK and drawn out money using BKK Be1st card I recall receiving a very very favourable rate.

Anyway, as you say many options