Adoption

othersideofme

You are Indan, so that would probably depend on Indian Law. For Thai law it is no problem that you are not a minor anymore, but your adoption will presumably have to comply with Indian law too.

Suggest you contact a good lawyer regarding family law.

You are Indan, so that would probably depend on Indian Law. For Thai law it is no problem that you are not a minor anymore, but your adoption will presumably have to comply with Indian law too.

Suggest you contact a good lawyer regarding family law.

You sure about that Mario? I distinctly remember reading that one of the restrictions on adoptions was that the adoptee had to be under the age of majority (actually, I think it even specified 15 years old was the maximum age of the child that would be considered, but I'm worried I may be confusing that with the age gap). This was on documentation given to me by the office in Pathumthani. There were a bunch of other restrictions too (the adopting couple had to be married, there must be at least 15 years between the age of the parents and the adoptee, etc.)

Even if there is nothing specifically written in the law, I seriously doubt the DSDW is going to sign off on the adoption of a 24 year old.

Are you implying the DSDW would use different rules when processing a request for an international adoption than they would for a Thai child?

Edited by gregb

gregb is right.

adoption is actually the "allowance of adult(s) to assume parental responsibility over a minor who is not their own child"

its not about and easy way to come and live in thailand without buying a visa its all about child protection.

I was wondering about that, but Thai law allows it.

Adoption is not placing a minor under the care of a different adult than his/her parents, that is giving someone custody. Instead what adoption does is severing the ties with the original parents and replacing those ties with the adoptive parents. That doesn't only goes to custody till someone becomes an adult. It also goes to family ties, which includes things like inheritance and being repsonsible for taking care of your parents whent hey are old.

The law says that someone of 15 years or older must consent to being adopted. Yes, there are other restriction, such as the minimum age difference bewteen adoptive parents and adoptee. Also it is not sure if the adoptee would acquire Thai nationality in this case, for that one has to check the Thai nationality law.

See: http://thailawonline...n/adoption.html

I was wondering about that, but Thai law allows it.

Adoption is not placing a minor under the care of a different adult than his/her parents, that is giving someone custody. Instead what adoption does is severing the ties with the original parents and replacing those ties with the adoptive parents. That doesn't only goes to custody till someone becomes an adult. It also goes to family ties, which includes things like inheritance and being repsonsible for taking care of your parents whent hey are old.

The law says that someone of 15 years or older must consent to being adopted. Yes, there are other restriction, such as the minimum age difference bewteen adoptive parents and adoptee. Also it is not sure if the adoptee would acquire Thai nationality in this case, for that one has to check the Thai nationality law.

See: http://thailawonline...n/adoption.html

i stand corrected :)