New Chevy Captiva

DLock

I am looking for a new car after crashing my truck.

The new Captiva looks interesting, with some good options and reasonably priced.

I really like as many airbags so as to turn the car into a childs blow-up bouncy castle when I crash.

Has anyone bought one? If so, what do you think of it?

Or are people waiting for the diesel model?

MRO, do you know roughly when the diesel is due?

Thanks for any insight you might have.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of buying a Benzene 2.4 LTZ Captiva, but the reason for not doing it is because it is underpowered and not very fuel efficient, I will be waiting for the Diesel which is due somewhere in October or November (this according to a Sales Person)

MJCM, I also drove the LTZ 2.4 Captiva last weekend and thought is was reasonably powerful. Nice car overall.

Do you think the Diesel Captiva will be more powerful or responsive?

Is it really worth waiting for the diesel?

I'm ok with the Benzene variant...but would hate to but it and find the diesel more powerful.

Fuel economy or petrol prices are not a priority.

Would appreciate advice from people who know more than me...which is probably most people.

I am looking for a new car after crashing my truck.

The new Captiva looks interesting, with some good options and reasonably priced.

I really like as many airbags so as to turn the car into a childs blow-up bouncy castle when I crash.

Has anyone bought one? If so, what do you think of it?

Or are people waiting for the diesel model?

MRO, do you know roughly when the diesel is due?

Thanks for any insight you might have.

What you do is: take the Saturday morning. Stop by a Chevy dealer and give one a test drive.

You ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different opinions. The most important thing is, what do YOU think about it. Not a newspaper review or other people.

The guys at Motortrend who did the Focus vs Cruze review didnt care for the Cruze. When I finally test drove it I completely disagreed with everything they said.

The also have the Captiva E85. They're pushing that one now. That's the 2.4 LTZ. Takes E10,E20 and E85.

Edited by thaicruze

When your paying that sort of money for a petrol Captiva 1,600,000bt you can buy top of the line Fortuner diesel and have 200,000bt pocket money. I know what I would go for between these 2.

I know what I can get for less than 1.2mill also diesel :whistling: . I know what to go for; between those 3 ;) .

When your paying that sort of money for a petrol Captiva 1,600,000bt you can buy top of the line Fortuner diesel and have 200,000bt pocket money. I know what I would go for between these 2.

A Fortuner? Joking right?

The 2.4LTZ is the top of the line Captiva.

Also, you should get a calculator because you mental math is horrible.

Top Fortuner = 1,489,000

Top Captiva = 1,580,000

If I ask my grade 4 student to do the math, 1,580,000 - 1,489,000 = 91,000 NOT 200,000.

Edited by thaicruze

Cheapest one is the Pajero Sport, if you don't mind Mitsubishi. They are all diesel and start at 994,000 and tops out at 1,319,000.

You could get a cheap Pajero, but expect not very comfortable seats and cheap plastics galore.

Base Captiva - 1,292,000.

Base Pajero - 994,000

Expect the ride and quality of materials to match the price though. When you sit in a Pajero, you're greated by thin cloth seats and a wall of cheap plastics.

Edited by thaicruze

Cheapest one is the Pajero Sport, if you don't mind Mitsubishi. They are all diesel and start at 994,000 and tops out at 1,319,000.

You could get a cheap Pajero, but expect not very comfortable seats and cheap plastics galore.

Base Pajero - 994,000

Expect the ride and quality of materials to match the price though. When you sit in a Pajero, you're greated by thin cloth seats and a wall of cheap plastics.

Well thaicruze like you I have a buget too and it says max 1.2mill. I have my sights on the 2wd GT model that have leather seats acording to Mit. web page. As I mention I will first purcase next year and rest asured that I will try sereral vechicles before I do any comitments with my hard earned money. If the new diesel engine Captiva will be in that prize range I would be very interested, as its the best looker of the 3.

Edited by guzzi850m2

I was thinking of buying a Benzene 2.4 LTZ Captiva, but the reason for not doing it is because it is underpowered and not very fuel efficient, I will be waiting for the Diesel which is due somewhere in October or November (this according to a Sales Person)

MJCM, I also drove the LTZ 2.4 Captiva last weekend and thought is was reasonably powerful. Nice car overall.

Do you think the Diesel Captiva will be more powerful or responsive?

Is it really worth waiting for the diesel?

I'm ok with the Benzene variant...but would hate to but it and find the diesel more powerful.

Fuel economy or petrol prices are not a priority.

Would appreciate advice from people who know more than me...which is probably most people.

I think you should read the test of the Benzene Captiva from a certain Bangkok newspaper (hint: it's not The Nation).

I stopped waiting and ordered a Mitsu Pajero Sport GT.

He doesn't have to. He DROVE it.

That's why I always say, forget what OTHER people say. Go and test drive it yourself.

Base Pajero - 994,000

Pajero 2,5 GT at 1.150k baht comes with leather, 2 x powerseats, HID/xenon, cruise, auto wipers, auto lights, you name it. and it has a very powerfull diesel beating Captiva in every aspect.

Captiva has 2 advantages, comfy and smooth ride. The price of this ride is its total unability to handle at high speed loaded, the individual soft rearsuspension allows the wheels to dance as they please

, Its remarkably easy to spot those who have been, or are in the Motor Trade. Debating the Quality of Plastic, what next.?. Ash Trays :o.

hehe, its +15 years since chrysler/dodge/jeep started charging 70usd extra for "smokers package" consisting of ashtrays and lighters ;)

, Its remarkably easy to spot those who have been, or are in the Motor Trade. Debating the Quality of Plastic, what next.?. Ash Trays :o.

hehe, its +15 years since chrysler/dodge/jeep started charging 70usd extra for "smokers package" consisting of ashtrays and lighters ;)

Yo Ho, it suprised me when B.M.W. included the Steering Wheel Free of Charge. .:whistling:

Appreciate all the comments regarding other cars, price and perceived value...

All I really want to know is why are people waiting on the Captiva diesel - economy, power, top end?

I have driven the benzene model, but there is no diesel to test yet....hence the question.

Just trying to understand why everyone seems to be waiting.

All I really want to know is why are people waiting on the Captiva diesel - economy, power, top end?

I have driven the benzene model, but there is no diesel to test yet....hence the question.

hp similar

tourque +50% and at very low rpms

fuel, 30% less, but if E85 is available wher you drive, fuel costs can be similar using E85

hp similar

tourque +50% and at very low rpms

fuel, 30% less, but if E85 is available wher you drive, fuel costs can be similar using E85

Thanks KBB and thanks to MJCM for the PM.

I read the reviews and have decided I will wait for the Diesel version.

With similar HP, but better torque at low RPM, thats what i wanted to hear.