Chiang Mai Main Bus Station

egeefay

About 6 months ago my wife and I took a bus from Hua Hin to Chiang Mai on a vacation trip.

The bus ride went smoothly. The double deck bus was clean, the service efficient and the trip pleasant.

When we got in Chiang Mai we were expecting to arrive at a bus station befitting the bus on which we had traveled.

Instead we were appalled when we got off the bus and wandered into a dirty filthy bus terminal that looked more like refugee camp. The floors were dirty and sticky from discarded food and sodas . There was trash everywhere. And no wonder. There were no trash cans anywhere that I could see. The bus station looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a month.

Don't use the restroom there unless you absolutely have to. It was filthy and disgusting and with water and urine all over the floor. You would think that after paying a fee for using the bathroom it would at least be clean and have toilet paper and paper towels.

If Chiang Mai hopes to be a tourist destination they need to close down the bus terminal for a week to clean the place from top to bottom.

Otherwise anyone arriving by bus is going to think their bus missed it's destination and landed in Nigeria instead

If Chiang Mai hopes to be a tourist destination they need to close down the bus terminal for a week ...

Chiang Mai is a tourist destination, but "they" are trying to, and should, attract more upscale tourists who arrive at the beautiful, clean airport.

About 6 months ago my wife and I took a bus from Hua Hin to Chiang Mai on a vacation trip.

6 months to find something wrong.

Chiang Mai bus station is no different to any other in Thailand or Southeast Asia-when it's been busy it will be dirty.

I use the Arcade Bus station often and indeed there are yellow trash bin outside near the bus decking station. I agree it is old and a bit small for a city like Chiangmai. and not kept as clean

as Chiangrai, Sukhotai Lamphun Phayao.

BUT...if you look outside across the access road they are building a new terminal. . In another six month you can visit again and check-it out.

Didn't a previous lady-mayor have plans, to tidy-up Arcade Bus Station, whatever happened to her ? Certainly she, and the OP, have a valid point ! :(

..she was only there briefly as she had filming commitments..as far as the state of the terminal..spare a thought for the thousands per day exiting and arriving..they had cleaners full time doing what they can with an outdated facility.

Chiang Mai bus station is no different to any other in Thailand or Southeast Asia-when it's been busy it will be dirty.

Took him some time, until he snapped out of his shock.

If Chiang Mai hopes to be a tourist destination they need to close down the bus terminal for a week ...

Chiang Mai is a tourist destination, but "they" are trying to, and should, attract more upscale tourists who arrive at the beautiful, clean airport.

I agree that the bus terminal is a tip and with the above comment. Seriously who travels all that way by bus? Who even travels by bus when there is an air option? Buy a plane ticket.

Yes clearly the bus station could be cleaner, the same as all in Thailand that I have seen.

And clearly they could charge more for the buss tickets to help cover that cost.

For us who travel by bus from time to time it is for the low price and not the clean bus stations

Don't use the restroom there unless you absolutely have to. It was filthy and disgusting and with water and urine all over the floor. You would think that after paying a fee for using the bathroom it would at least be clean and have toilet paper and paper towels.

Apologies for off topic but as IBS-D sufferer traveling in Thailand is a bit of a nightmare for me.

Indeed. Marketed priorities.

Yet, even today the so-called upscale traveller to CM will be the minority exception from the norm - which are the everyday variety of tourists.

Yet, even today the so-called upscale traveller to CM will be the minority exception from the norm - which are the everyday variety of tourists.

Since most of his and the wifes time was spent on the bus why complain about some place you have spent an hour at most. Thank god the bus was clean but I do have a problem with the bathrooms on the bus when they get full and the door will not stay shut.

Hey Joseph

Better luck on your second posting... lol