Foreign Ministry Contest Thailand's Terror Risk Ranking

webfact

Foreign Ministry Contest Thailand's Terror Risk Ranking

The Foreign Ministry is contesting the analysis on Thailand's terrorist threat level by a global risk assessment company that has ranked Thailand 12th out of 197 countries.

Foreign Ministry Spokesperson and the Director-General of the Information Department Thanee Thongpakdee commented on the security analysis for 2011 made by a UK-based global risk assessment company, Maplecroft, which ranked Thailand 12th out of a possible 197 countries with terrorist risks.

He argued that Maplecroft's ranking is measured by the frequency and intensity of terrorist violence in each country, but Thailand's high-risk area is almost exclusive to the southern border provinces, and does not affect the entire country.

The Foreign Ministry explained that the situation in the southernmost provinces is also improving gradually, which can be seen by the reduced numbers of incidents and injuries, and the reduced death toll from 2005 to December 2010.

The emergency decree was lifted in some areas, such as Pattani's Mae Lan District, and the security agencies are considering lifting the decree in other areas.

The ministry pointed out that the international community has always had a positive outlook and confidence in Thailand, particularly in its economy, investment, and tourism.

The number of tourist arrivals has increased by 25 percent in the first five months of the year.

He added that following the election, Thailand has entered political calm and returned to normalcy.

Thailand was ranked seventh last year for terrorist risk, due to the red-shirt demonstration and riots.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-08-11

footer_n.gif

"He argued that Maplecroft's ranking is measured by the frequency and intensity of terrorist violence in each country, but Thailand's high-risk area is almost exclusive to the southern border provinces, and does not affect the entire country"

But the high risk area is still in Thailand is it not ?, therefore Maplecrofts criteria applies....so can't understand the esteemed director-generals logic...:rolleyes:

I doubt if the man doing the contesting/disagreeing, lives, nor has family in the south. Its hard to be aware of what many of the common folk experience and have to be aware of, when your existing in your little cocoon.

My first yawn was removed so here is a second coffee1.gif- talking heads talking about reports that will never go anywhere beyond this current 5 minute news cycle we live in, doesn't interest me, nor others. We like news about people, places, events, or actions. Not paper, and people talking about paper.

My first yawn was removed so here is a second coffee1.gif- talking heads talking about reports that will never go anywhere beyond this current 5 minute news cycle we live in, doesn't interest me, nor others. We like news about people, places, events, or actions. Not paper, and people talking about paper.

Then don't read it and don't hijack the topic. Cheers.

"He argued that Maplecroft's ranking is measured by the frequency and intensity of terrorist violence in each country, but Thailand's high-risk area is almost exclusive to the southern border provinces, and does not affect the entire country"

But the high risk area is still in Thailand is it not ?, therefore Maplecrofts criteria applies....so can't understand the esteemed director-generals logic...:rolleyes:

Because its so far away from the capital and important parts of the country, Bangkok bigwigs don't regard it as of equal status. All places being equal, some more than others.

Because its so far away from the capital and important parts of the country, Bangkok bigwigs don't regard it as of equal status. All places being equal, some more than others.

Hence part of the reason for the problems in the south...

Then don't read it and don't hijack the topic. Cheers.

I agree with sbk. If you see something that does not interest, you have the right to say nothing and leave the room.

"Almost" exclusive to the south?!? I suppose the year of angry mobs, M79 grenades, rioting, martial law, burning, looting and occasional RPG-launching in Bangkok didn't count.

Of course the FM is right that the violence is almost only taking place in the South, but if the Foreign Ministry was honest, they should admit that the number of people maimed or killed are much much higher than the official figures. Problem is that as long as we have lousy Newspapers as the Nation and the Post, we will always find a non story on the front page about a singer, a monk who fell in love with a girl or how Abhisit is testing a fuel efficient car, and there will be never a headline story about the South.

It is a great thing that the violence, or better the real terrorism in the South is highlighted. Maybe the crooked justice system will realease the innocent and take action on the murderers.

If you avoid the south, it' hard to say that Thailand is a dangerous country, and that you're at any risk... Thailand's probably the safest country I've ever been to.

Thailand's certainly much safer than the UK IMHO given all the mass looting, rioting and thuggery that's currently taking place there - not to mention the fact that city/town centres are no-go areas on Friday & Saturday nights at the best of times thanks to drunken yobs spoiling for a punch-up. Bet that's not reflected in Maplecroft's rating of the UK.

"Almost" exclusive to the south?!? I suppose the year of angry mobs, M79 grenades, rioting, martial law, burning, looting and occasional RPG-launching in Bangkok didn't count.

But that has ceased since the terrorists were elected as part of the new government!:bah:

But that has ceased since the terrorists were elected as part of the new government!:bah:

Must be hard being so obsessed...and negative...get over it ...

That was the past .... now Britain is in the lead ;-) in the future who knows...

Must be hard being so obsessed...and negative...get over it ...

Do you know god's gift to the stupid - most never realise how stupid they are.

If you avoid the south, it' hard to say that Thailand is a dangerous country, and that you're at any risk... Thailand's probably the safest country I've ever been to.

If you are a Thai living in the South, you would probably rate Thailand as in the top five terrorists countries. Not everyone can 'avoid' the South. This generation of radicals in the South will soon grow old and lose their fervor just as the gang-bangers in the U.S. have stopped doing drive-by shootings. What the Thai govt. in BKK need to do is change the conditions in the South that perpetuates this violence.