Guest Houses In Bangkok

CandyMan51

Hi

I'm new to the forum, but I browsed around and I couldn't find any posts on this topic. I'm flying into Bangkok on the 28th of November, and I don't know where I'm going to stay. I originally thought that I would simply take a taxi from the airport to Khao San Road and walk around till I find a suitable guest house. However, I browsed around a few web sites to check out prices (but of course I could only find hotels) and I saw that most of the hotels were almost fully booked. Is it necessary to book a room before I go? I don't want to arrive in Thailand and not have a place to stay because I didn't book...

Also, can someone maybe recommend some of the guest houses? I'm not too fussy, I just want a place that's reasonably clean.

Thx before

Oh and by the way, me and my friend are planning to backpack for 2 months...

(I posted this on the accommodation forum, but I think this is a better place for it...)

Hi

I'm new to the forum, but I browsed around and I couldn't find any posts on this topic. I'm flying into Bangkok on the 28th of November, and I don't know where I'm going to stay. I originally thought that I would simply take a taxi from the airport to Khao San Road and walk around till I find a suitable guest house. However, I browsed around a few web sites to check out prices (but of course I could only find hotels) and I saw that most of the hotels were almost fully booked. Is it necessary to book a room before I go? I don't want to arrive in Thailand and not have a place to stay because I didn't book...

Also, can someone maybe recommend some of the guest houses? I'm not too fussy, I just want a place that's reasonably clean.

Thx before

(I posted this on the accommodation forum, but I think this is a better place for it...)

Hi Candyman and welcome to T.V. :o You can find a stack of places to stay at http://www.khaosanroad.com/ Alink to Guesthouses is on the left a little way down. I am sure you will find something to suit. Happy travels :D

If you don't fancy staying in Khao San Road and would like to be more centrally located there is a soi full of guest houses in Soi Kasemsan 1, just out from the National Stadium BTS, on the opposite side of the road from MBK.

Good location, that one. Quiet soi and right on the skytrain. Recommended, unless you just have to be in dreadlockville.

If you don't fancy staying in Khao San Road and would like to be more centrally located there is a soi full of guest houses in Soi Kasemsan 1, just out from the National Stadium BTS, on the opposite side of the road from MBK.

Good location, that one. Quiet soi and right on the skytrain. Recommended, unless you just have to be in dreadlockville.

I agree, Soi Kasem San 1 is very well located for the SkyTrain, MBK and Siam area shopping malls. Unfortunatley, two things have happened there recently. Firstly, the majority (if not all) of the cheap Food Stalls, have been moved on. (the ones over the other side of Th Rama 1 road are still there) Also there has been a considerable price rise in accomodation costs. The Muangphol Masion, for example, has gone from 450/500 bht per night up to 750bht :o And thats within the last 12 months. I am not sure if others in the same area have followed suite, but would not be suprised if they have. Some people say, that Khao San Road is a must see part of Bangkok :D

Wow, great link.  Thx

But still, do I need to book before I go?  I had the impression most travellers simply pitch up and look for a room...

If you can find someone to give you a good recommendation that accepts online bookings, do it. If not you have 2 options. 1. look at the Khao San Road web page, pick a guesthouse/hotel, and cross your fingers it will be ok :o 2. Turn up in person with a list of the ones that look good, and ask to see the room before booking in. IMHO, you should be fine to do number 2 in late November (as usual. I stand to be corrected) :D Happy travels.

Or Sri Bumpen Rd. near Malaysia hotel, in a soi opposite Lumpini boxing stadium. There probably are more guest houses there than there are in Soi Kasemsan 1, though Soi Kasemsan 1 is much closer to BTS National Stadium station than Sri Bumpen Rd is to subway Lumpini station (about ten minutes walk).

Hi

Thx before

:o

Hi

Thx before

Just curious, how much per night do you want to spend? Perhaps someone can recommend a specific hotel/guest house if we know what you want to spend per night.

Just curious, how much per night do you want to spend?  Perhaps someone can recommend a specific hotel/guest house if we know what you want to spend per night.

Well, I'm guessing I'm propably not going to be in my room for more that a few hours each day (basically just for sleep) so anything okay will do. I just don't want my room to be so bad that it actually spoils the experience for me. So I was thinking in the range of 300-500 per night?

Head to the police station at the top of Koah Sarn, cross the road, turn right walk 20 meters first right at the Ayudhya Bank this road is full of great guest houses, merry V, Siam Orchid are two good ones about 240bt a night, all large beere are 40bt on this road too, great food. Good luck

Head to the police station at the top of Koah Sarn, cross the road, turn  right walk 20 meters first right at the Ayudhya Bank this road is full of great guest houses, merry V, Siam Orchid are two good ones about 240bt a night, all large beere are 40bt on this road too, great food. Good luck

Is that not turn LEFT at the bank?

Just to add to what people are saying, I would have thought at the end of Nov you could just turn up and get a room somewhere - unlikely to be fully booked.

The Lonely Planet website and forum may be of more general use to you.

swasdee smile inns alreet. 2 mins from kho san rd. cheap, clean and cheerful.

I can vouch for that one too, very good. Also if it's full or too expensive there are 2 more in the same chain (Sawasdee - purple sign with yellow writing) very close by that are also pretty decent. These are all in the area that toastwars gave directions to, but, yes, it is definitely LEFT at the bank!

Hope this helps,

Dan.

Edited by dantilley