Train Accident, Again

Ciocco

One hour ago we was sitted at Minifarm Restaurant for breakfast, looking the train passing on the near railway.

From there it's very easy to ear the alarm signal of the near railway crossing, and also the train who use to ring the bell continuely when crossing the city and leaving/approaching the station.

After a while we ear an ambulance passing from the other side, going south.

We leave from Minifarm to go Tesco passing from the next railway crossing (the one back to Market Village) and arriving there we seen a lot of confusion, i thought there was a kind of street market at the start, but seeing a lot of Police cars i suspected something happens, then we seen also the ambulance and someone walking on the railway with the portable bed... the train was stopped a few hundred meters south.

They say the train catch a car and bring it 300mt away in front of it.

We don't know if someone die or just injured...

I know is not the first time... for sure nore the last one...

The only one crossing with barrers look the one on Chomsin, and also there people make like a contest tryng to pass when signal is ringing and barrers going down... what a kind of stupid suicide game is this?

Ok, i know Thai's don't like to follow rules so much... but this is really crazy...

May be the people in the car this morning was listening the radio so loud do not ear the signal?

Or just they think to ne smarter than the train? Boh...

For sure we have to be very awake when approaching the railway here...

:jap:

Very common, sadly. They think the train will wait for them ,they being such super special people. They don't seem to realise how long it takes to stop a train, until it is too late. Even in Bkk. , you see them try to race the barriers. By the time they work it out ,it is too late.!!! Another unnecessary funeral

Whats new here? Happens all the time in Los Angeles even with barriers. Blue Line crosses through the worst part of LA and is constantly plagued by cars trying to beat or go around barriers. Metro Link has its share in SF Valley with barriers.

Doesn't make much difference which country your in, will always be people trying to out guess the trains at intersections. Best barrier is at Soi 88 that comes down both sides and you can't get around. Nothing particular about Thailand but just human nature.

Whats new here? Happens all the time in Los Angeles even with barriers. Blue Line crosses through the worst part of LA and is constantly plagued by cars trying to beat or go around barriers. Metro Link has its share in SF Valley with barriers.

Doesn't make much difference which country your in, will always be people trying to out guess the trains at intersections. Best barrier is at Soi 88 that comes down both sides and you can't get around. Nothing particular about Thailand but just human nature.

Absolutely ,we had a semi trailer try to beat the train In Oz- Swan Hill.,killed a lot of people, wiped out the side of the train, about 3 carriages. Said he had a problem with the sun. Booms were operating. Took no notice of them .Everywhere , people think they can beat a train. People ,world wide ,are stupid.

I understand that there were no barriers at the crossing concerned, in fact there are a number of crossdings in Hua Hin with no barriers or warning lights. It is about time someone took action to make the crosssings safer.

surely not limited to being a Thai problem, people everywhere will play 'race the train.

If you like level-crossing trainspotting stats - a Guardian report here

Level crossing accidents: how we compare in Europe

What happens when rail meets road? Apparently some people don't realise that the combination can be dangerous

Network Rail released it's annual level crossing safety figures today. They show that 13 people died last year and that 145 motorists – almost three a week – narrowly avoided potentially fatal collisions with a train. There were over 3,200 incidents of misuse at level crossings last year.

Hungary is the 'winner' though with 118 deaths in 2008.

Edited by Atmos

They have also allowed the weeds to grow to a two meter height at that particular crossing on Soi 94 where the accident was. There is no way to see if a train is coming or not as your view is blocked by the vegetation. I stop, turn off any music, and roll down the windows to listen for a train coming. That crossing, and one in Takiab (Soi 91) are very dangerous as I've lost three friends on them myself in the last eight years.

As for deaths in this one, I heard a young child was killed instantly and the Mother was not expected to live.

They have also allowed the weeds to grow to a two meter height at that particular crossing on Soi 94 where the accident was. There is no way to see if a train is coming or not as your view is blocked by the vegetation. I stop, turn off any music, and roll down the windows to listen for a train coming. That crossing, and one in Takiab (Soi 91) are very dangerous as I've lost three friends on them myself in the last eight years.

As for deaths in this one, I heard a young child was killed instantly and the Mother was not expected to live.

True,

passing there i seen better and non signakls at all, just a "give way" signal... :(

If you think it is bad now imagine what it will be like when there are high-speed trains doing +/- 150 kph and people will STILL try to beat the trains.

Before they will have hi-speed trains we will be all passed away...

no problem so...

If you think it is bad now imagine what it will be like when there are high-speed trains doing +/- 150 kph and people will STILL try to beat the trains.

no problem so...

I think that they will have to raise all the trackbeds by at least a metre to get over the flooding every year.

no problem so...

I think that they will have to raise all the trackbeds by at least a metre to get over the flooding every year.

Hi speed needs for a dedicated railway... honestly it don't seems thailand it's ready for this... they still have stone age trains running...

and as you well wrote they first have to safe all the lines... it could ask for 10 years working... am not sure they will do at all...

how dangerous is to cross the railway here

A wild guess,if you blindfold yourself and cross the railway, I think the odds of getting hit by a train is 1 in 1000 attempts.

If you stall your engine on the crossing at the wrong time of day, the odds change dramatically, as I understand happened to the poor woman in question.