Free Tablet Computers Could Well Be A Masterstroke; Thai Opinion

webfact

EDITORIAL

Free tablets could well be a masterstroke

By The Nation

Despite being a populist policy, it may be a winner if implemented well

The Yingluck Shinawatra government may have hit its first strike. That is, if its plan to digitise textbooks and put them on the free tablet computers for schoolchildren is carried out effectively. The idea is supposed to embrace the fast-developing technology that is transforming the way students are "reading", and is not just aimed at underprivileged Thai kids. Obviously, this project is way better than purchasing new weapons and certainly not as controversial as the pledge to increase the daily minimum wage to Bt300.

According to Education Minister Woravat Auapinyakul, each tablet computer will cost no more than Bt3,000 and its life span will range between three and four years. So far, the government has already allocated about Bt600 and Bt700 a year per student for free textbooks. These figures suggest that investing in tablet computers would be worthy.

As everybody knows, most if not all tablet computers can function as an e-reader. Although a lot of students are already using free textbooks, having them all in one tablet will make things considerably more convenient. This way, the children will be able to carry "all their books" with them "all the time" in one small, thin and light device. They will be able to read more - not just textbooks, but other books as well. And any generation that reads more will grow up to be smarter than a generation that has read less. It's as simple as that.

E-readers and their content have made a sluggish start in Thailand. There are many factors contributing to that. Problems related to competing formats among manufacturers of e-readers have slowed down market penetration here - a situation that is delaying the awaited boom in e-content.

Since tablets require good Wi-Fi and wireless connections to appeal to users, the domestic telecom problem is another factor that has added to the slow progress of e-reading culture here. Content producers, meanwhile, have been struggling to find the right formula, though it has been clear that producing e-content is far cheaper than printing books.

Children can make changes take place more quickly. So, allowing children to lead the trend can help the overall e-reading culture. Entrepreneurs reluctant to give up on the printers that they invested so heavily on will be paying more attention to this new side of their business. Ironically, content change is taking place faster in the broadcast industry, thanks to the fast improving device that we call the television. Hopefully, the same can occur in the "printing" industry, where key players are at best grappling with experimental production of e-reading content.

There are justified concerns that the children will use their free tablets to play games and that reading will be the last thing on their agenda. Putting textbooks in the tablets, however, will at least partially address this concern. The youngsters will be using these devices in classrooms to begin with, and we can start from there. After all, the convenience of e-readers is said to help kindle the love for reading.

Attention should also be paid to specifications. Tablets still have the problem of "glare", and since the touch-screen technology is still at fledging stage, the tablets would require additional layers of film. Good e-reading applications on tablets may help ease the problem a bit, but the government must make sure it does not opt for low costs at the expense of children's eyesight. This is not a small issue, as it can turn children on or off the idea of reading.

Rightly or wrongly, the exiled ex-PM Thaksin was known for his populist policies, like the one in which desktop computers were given to rural schools but ended up gathering dust due to the lack of knowledgeable personnel. Tablets, though, could be different, as long as textbooks are put on them. As long as real benefits can be reaped from a project that is carried out under a reasonable budget, it will not be described as "populist". Though the policy has its doubters, good budget management and effective implementation might make it a masterstroke for the Yingluck government.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-13

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Master stroke it may be.. will certainly "help" the teachers .....my step kids are often given assignments where they are told by the teacher to use a computer to get answers to issues/questions that have never been discussed in the lessons...bit of a cop out methinks..then it sometimes seems marking is based on presentation not content?

What I have seen of the "English/Thai" textbooks they are,I suspect, beyond the comprehension of some teachers and often use phrases mixed in with simpler translations totally confusing for the poor kids ...phrases like "be that as it may", and "such and such"...often hard for me to put into simple English..

Might be a good idea to revamp some text book selections.

Maybe the money for tablets would be better spent on real books and comprehensive teacher training and improved salaries where warranted?

Horses to water? Bit concerned that tablets will "break" or get "lost or stolen" what then?

... Step kids had there eyeglasses stolen/lost within 2 months of getting them!!

They policy was already a masterstroke, given than it impacted the PT vote tally.

Given that the resources with which to fill the tablets is clearly not yet available, let alone a method of software deployment formatted suitable for students use, the free notebook for student has not been thought out at all.

They policy was already a masterstroke, given than it impacted the PT vote tally.

Given that the resources with which to fill the tablets is clearly not yet available, let alone a method of software deployment formatted suitable for students use, the free notebook for student has not been thought out at all.

It is a masterstroke, I can go up-country and buy them 500 baht a piece, I will be inundated with sellers and re-sell in Bangkok for 2000bahts.. I will be rich..! Thanks Yinluck.. (I say this tongue in cheek)

Master stroke it may be.. will certainly "help" the teachers .....my step kids are often given assignments where they are told by the teacher to use a computer to get answers to issues/questions that have never been discussed in the lessons...bit of a cop out methinks..then it sometimes seems marking is based on presentation not content?

What I have seen of the "English/Thai" textbooks they are,I suspect, beyond the comprehension of some teachers and often use phrases mixed in with simpler translations totally confusing for the poor kids ...phrases like "be that as it may", and "such and such"...often hard for me to put into simple English..

Maybe the money for tablets would be better spent on real books and comprehensive teacher training and improved salaries where warranted?

Horses to water? Bit concerned that tablets will "break" or get "lost or stolen" what then?

... Step kids had there eyeglasses stolen/lost within 2 months of getting them!!

David006, I introduced e-learning into my teaching of English some years ago. Large LCD screen run from my computer and used cartoon video clips.... and had students acting out the scenes. Computer Games shown on the LCD where one or several students would be using my com and the class giving directions on what to do. Video music tracks....Tata Young etc where Thais singing in English....u know how Thais and kids in particular love karaoke...I had wireless mikes so students could use... even had them dancing on the desk tops.....I didnt care (even had approval from the Director!!) because I was achieving what I was assigned to do....teach the students how to use English.

Well the English ability improved dramaticly in a very short space of time. My students were from a low socio/economic area and had no reason or motivation to learn English.... but within 2 years could have a very basic conversation in English. All down to providing what the kids wanted....playing games etc exactly as they all try and do out of school hours. Sure there was some "novelty" about my teaching style which helped but the E-Learning style is a huge advance over "conventional" teaching. Full marks to PTP for taking a giant step forward for Thai Education.

Sure there will be mistakes and corrections to make in content and teacher management etc....but those challenges can be overcome ok.

The biggest obstacle to the programme is going to be the educating of the Thai teaching fraternity in computer usage rather than the kids..

Lovely comment from a Thai teacher last week concerning the problem of lateness to class.

" Just talk quicker and teach them quicker then being late won't matter." rolleyes.gif

David006, I introduced e-learning into my teaching of English some years ago. Large LCD screen run from my computer and used cartoon video clips.... and had students acting out the scenes. Computer Games shown on the LCD where one or several students would be using my com and the class giving directions on what to do. Video music tracks....Tata Young etc where Thais singing in English....u know how Thais and kids in particular love karaoke...I had wireless mikes so students could use... even had them dancing on the desk tops.....I didnt care (even had approval from the Director!!) because I was achieving what I was assigned to do....teach the students how to use English.

Well the English ability improved dramaticly in a very short space of time. My students were from a low socio/economic area and had no reason or motivation to learn English.... but within 2 years could have a very basic conversation in English. All down to providing what the kids wanted....playing games etc exactly as they all try and do out of school hours. Sure there was some "novelty" about my teaching style which helped but the E-Learning style is a huge advance over "conventional" teaching. Full marks to PTP for taking a giant step forward for Thai Education.

Sure there will be mistakes and corrections to make in content and teacher management etc....but those challenges can be overcome ok.

Superlative post! Innovation is a key ingredient to progress. Keep-up the good work!

Of concern to me is the potential for digital devices to introvert the personalities of youthful users; i.e., they pay less attention to their actual environment and ever-more to a virtual, skate-board mentality. In fact, there is (was?) an undergraduate course at Harvard which tutored students in how to walk and to observe instead of running/riding through a blur.

Kind regards.

Educational Psychology and related disciplines assess the effectiveness of learning strategies and tools.

Show me the research where tablet computers were successfully incorporated into classroom settings with 7 yr olds.

If no research data is available yet, one may be well advised to set-up a small scale controlled experiment before embarking on a project of that magnitude.

I don´t want to spoil the fun of dreaming of masterstrokes, but show me the data first !!!

Show me the data? I have my children using a laptop, there is educational benefit, learning is fun, they enjoy using the computer

Step forward parents whose children currently use a computer who think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages and learning enhancement

The biggest obstacle to the programme is going to be the educating of the Thai teaching fraternity in computer usage rather than the kids..

Lovely comment from a Thai teacher last week concerning the problem of lateness to class.

" Just talk quicker and teach them quicker then being late won't matter." rolleyes.gif

It is a solution, maybe the Thai teachers will absorb the required knowledge faster than you think, your comment shows they are capable of providing a work round

Edited by 473geo

It is a masterstroke, I can go up-country and buy them 500 baht a piece, I will be inundated with sellers and re-sell in Bangkok for 2000bahts.. I will be rich..! Thanks Yinluck.. (I say this tongue in cheek)

Sure it's not tongue in ar*e

Show me the data? I have my children using a laptop, there is educational benefit, learning is fun, they enjoy using the computer

Step forward parents whose children currently use a computer who think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages and learning enhancement

So your children are 6-7 years old and take a laptop to school for use in nearly every lesson?

really?

The kids already have computer lessons.

I started my 26-year-old on my desktop when he was four, and my 19-year-old when he was two. They both used the Reader Rabbit programs and the equivalent maths programs (can't remember the name of the maths program). When they started school, they were both several grades ahead in reading and maths. The older one got his degree in computer science, and the younger one is in pre-med. The older one owns 4 PCs and 3 Macs, the younger manages with his Mac laptop. Both say that a tablet is useless compared to a laptop.

The big difference between them and 6-year-old Thai kids getting tablets is that I was there, one-on-one, assisting them and monitoring that they didn't spend all their time on games - even educational games. With 30 kids in a class, a single teacher, or even a teacher and an aide, cannot possibly give the one-on-one that's required. I also suspect that the vast majority of parents do not know the first thing about computers, and would be at a loss to assist the kids after school.

My younger kid was part of a pilot program, where all 8th-graders in the state were given laptops to be used at school. The follow-on costs of repair and replacement killed the program after one year. I have little doubt that it would not

succeed here with 1st-graders.

Edited by noahvail

What you did and what is being suggested are widely different.. would it not be better to have a projecter and computer in each class so it is an intergrated lesson rather than 40-50 pratom 1 kids looking at 7"tablet computers.

I praise what you did as a learning tool but tablets are NOT the answer. Bringing the classrooms into the 21st century is so that more and more teachers can experiment. But really if the Ministry of Education was doing it's job properly this would not be needed. Because schools around the country would have the required content.

Teacher

what is four times two

Student

just a minute sir while I boot up my notebook.

So your children are 6-7 years old and take a laptop to school for use in nearly every lesson?

really?

Let us see now, if the tablets were initially retained in the classroom, a possibility, that would negate your comment.........later the children may be allowed to take them home but I would suggest that using a tablet for long periods of time would be hard on the eyes, so at first limited in house use. And before you all start crying about homework, I don't really think children at 6-7 should need to do homework if teaching standards are good.

Current computer teaching where computers are static and not available in each classroom carries obvious limitations. My own thought is that tablets will be enablers, they cannot reform the Thai teaching system, they can bring a new beneficial dimension.

Oh by the way my youngest is 4 and I am quite proud of the care he takes of the laptop, I also take great pleasure in the joy he takes from using the machine......memory games, counting games, he loves them all.

Of course it is a winner. just as when a country provides super fast free internet through whatever means throughout the country. The ones who oppose these programs are the rich with old money. They like to keep the status quo. They own the printing houses, they own the schools and they like to keep the poor dumb and poor.

Providing free education, free internet, free computers and health care is bad for their business. People who are free and not bound to stay because of healthcare programs and education programs on the workplace are no longer virtual slaves.

Even when a tablet cost 10,000 Baht it is significant cheaper than old fashioned not updated text books used by underpaid teachers.

really?

Let us see now, if the tablets were initially retained in the classroom, a possibility, that would negate your comment.........later the children may be allowed to take them home but I would suggest that using a tablet for long periods of time would be hard on the eyes, so at first limited in house use. And before you all start crying about homework, I don't really think children at 6-7 should need to do homework if teaching standards are good.

Current computer teaching where computers are static and not available in each classroom carries obvious limitations. My own thought is that tablets will be enablers, they cannot reform the Thai teaching system, they can bring a new beneficial dimension.

Oh by the way my youngest is 4 and I am quite proud of the care he takes of the laptop, I also take great pleasure in the joy he takes from using the machine......memory games, counting games, he loves them all.

You are making assumptions (as we all are) about how these tablets will be used. YOU do not think homework for 6 year olds is a good thing. I agree. But it does not stop some teachers giving homework.

I can see you are proud of your kids and nurture them, I'm guessing that YOU found and installed the games and YOU showed your little ones how to use the games because lets face it YOU are computer literate.

BUT there are a lot of parents out there that are not computer literate or simply don't care (it's the schools job to teach their kids)

In the future i like the idea of more computer hands on work. BUT now is not the right time and we can consider that Phua Thai will NOT implement it correctly.

most government schools are short of resources, most schools still use chalk and black boards, most classrooms only have 1 or 2 plug sockets so that will be 40 odd tablets plugged into what? (do you want YOUR kid to be plugging the tablet into sockets here :( )

They should use the money to bring the classrooms up to date with the necessary teaching aids for teachers as well as implementing decent e-learning software etc.

Of course it is a winner. just as when a country provides super fast free internet through whatever means throughout the country. The ones who oppose these programs are the rich with old money. They like to keep the status quo. They own the printing houses, they own the schools and they like to keep the poor dumb and poor.

Providing free education, free internet, free computers and health care is bad for their business. People who are free and not bound to stay because of healthcare programs and education programs on the workplace are no longer virtual slaves.

Even when a tablet cost 10,000 Baht it is significant cheaper than old fashioned not updated text books used by underpaid teachers.

so now there are going to be 3,000b broken tablets used by students and underpaid teachers....

jeeze what a crap, stupid post that was. Schools need text books and work books. e-books will NOT replace them. stop being so crass.

All speculations! Perhaps it may be worth the effort to run a controlled experiment for 3 months using tablets vs. textbooks with 7 yo Thai kids in a classroom with 30 students and look at the outcome, for example in reading/comprehension abilities. Oh, but the study may cost probably about 100´000 bht.... not sure there is money for that.

All speculations! Perhaps it may be worth the effort to run a controlled experiment for 3 months using tablets vs. textbooks with 7 yo Thai kids in a classroom with 30 students and look at the outcome, for example in reading/comprehension abilities. Oh, but the study may cost probably about 100´000 bht.... not sure there is money for that.

That would be good except that Prathom 1 is 6 year olds up and government schools can have 40-50 in a class. It would probebly take 3 months to teach them how to use the tablets and then at the end it would be interesting to see how many tablets have survived

(the minister saying these things will last 3-4 years with prathom 1's up is living in cloud cuckoo land)

But i get your point :D

The use of online study also gives the teacher more time to actually teach; marking, and evaluations are automatic, a great time saver and also instant results. A very useful tool and enhancement to assist the teacher.

listen to yourself.... this is Thailand, we are talking a 3,000b android tablet, max 4hour battery life, no plug sockets, no wifi, no thai or subject software. and given to prathom 1 (who are generally in classes of 40+)

get realistic B)

The use of online study also gives the teacher more time to actually teach; marking, and evaluations are automatic, a great time saver and also instant results. A very useful tool and enhancement to assist the teacher.

listen to yourself.... this is Thailand, we are talking a 3,000b android tablet, max 4hour battery life, no plug sockets, no wifi, no thai or subject software. and given to prathom 1 (who are generally in classes of 40+)

get realistic B)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLPC_XO-1

if they are waiting for these it will never happen/;

I am all for technology

It will not come cheap

A very nice contract for any family in the hi tech market.

Tablet etc is a far less teacher centred tool able to use at home on the bus etc.

I imagine many will be lost broken sold damaged,despite that in the same way the taxpayers who funded the library of my youth should benefit from a better educated youth t look after us when we are all too old

Edited by RubbaJohnny

I am all for technology

It will not come cheap

A very nice contract for any family in the hi tech market.

Tablet etc is a far less teacher centred tool able to use at home on the bus etc.

I imagine many will be lost broken sold damaged,despite that in the same way the taxpayers who funded the library of my youth should benefit from a better educated youth t look after us when we are all too old

So you agree with the idea or disagree........ by the way it would be good if schools actually HAD library's :D

really?

You are making assumptions (as we all are) about how these tablets will be used. YOU do not think homework for 6 year olds is a good thing. I agree. But it does not stop some teachers giving homework.

I can see you are proud of your kids and nurture them, I'm guessing that YOU found and installed the games and YOU showed your little ones how to use the games because lets face it YOU are computer literate.

BUT there are a lot of parents out there that are not computer literate or simply don't care (it's the schools job to teach their kids)

In the future i like the idea of more computer hands on work. BUT now is not the right time and we can consider that Phua Thai will NOT implement it correctly.

most government schools are short of resources, most schools still use chalk and black boards, most classrooms only have 1 or 2 plug sockets so that will be 40 odd tablets plugged into what? (do you want YOUR kid to be plugging the tablet into sockets here :( )

They should use the money to bring the classrooms up to date with the necessary teaching aids for teachers as well as implementing decent e-learning software etc.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree, although your concerns carry some validity I feel the benefits outweigh any disadvatages, I think if appropriately thought through, and delivered the tablets will be beneficial, you appear to wish the funds be spent on paint, airconditioning, whiteboards and front of classroom technology to improve the teaching environment

You let yourself down and show your political motives by stating "PT will NOT implement correctly"........the implementation will surely be delivered by the educational management structure, and the teachers......