31 Years Old With Passive Income Who Wish To Live In Thailand.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah , thailand's the bomb .

$3,000 a month should be more than enough . i know a guy who does it on less than 2/3s of that living in the heart of the farang ghetto .

live frugally (w/ ur means) and rent , never buy . be ready to leave at a moment's notice .

the visa thing sucks but , u c, that's the uncertainty ; the locals DON'T really want us here .

w/ $3,000 available a month , i'd probably do the 3 months here , 3 months there , repeat as necessary thing .

Please understand you will have nothing but grief regarding your visa until you hit 50. It will require a huge amount of money to swap out half used passports and make visa runs hither and yon. You best option this year is the ED visa. You may be entitled to an O visa based on marriage if and when that happens. That may have to be obtained from your home country.

Your biggest issue is not where you will stay, but who will permit your stay.

Thailand will let you run around the country for about a year with a fresh passport. After that all best are off, your stay is quite tenuous but doable. I have survived here on TRs since the clampdown with planned trips abroad and my home country as well as new passports. I don't see how guys have been able to stay afloat on TR's without doing the same.

I would again plug Cambodia. Phnom Penh has everything you need (save for a beach!) and the growth is phenomenal. By the time you settle and learn the language (which is easier than Thai), you will be a real player. The Khmer are lovely people. Cambodia granting one year visas! You can trip into Thailand for two weeks FREE and return to Cambodia FREE. The road to Siem Reap is now great and all the roads in the country are being rebuilt. It would be my base right now but I have a Thai girlfriend. Vietnam. I hear six month visas. Food is great, women can be stunners, people are very clever, (not great) good coastline.

Do not listen to the naysayers and worriers about medical and insurances assuming you are in good health and your parents have had relatively good health. You have one life, live it! These are the rubes that sat in a chair until they were 65. They have saved for everything and made all contingencies. Only problem is that they are as good as dead both physically and in their heads.

Realistically, at your age and means, without being married, O Visas every 15 months from outside Thailand and 90 day trips to the border is (as far as I can see) the only realistic option.

Even if you were to get a extetion (married, retired, investment and education are all extensions to a O visa) you still have to report to immigration every 3 months.

You will only ever be a visitor in Thailand, get used to that or don't bother is my advice.

What you need to qualify for a O visa will vary from Consulate to Consulate, so long as you avoid Embassies and go to Honarary Consulates in US, UK, Australia and you can show some income then IN MY EXPERIENCE you will have no problem getting O Visas, if however to go to Thai Embassy anywhere in the world you will probably be denied a O visa.... also the smaller and quieter the Honarary Consulate the quicker and less fuss it is. Remember, with anything to do with Thailand it's not the rules that matter, it's how they are interpreted. Different offices interpret rules in different ways, and the fact that a Honarary Consulate's income is derived from issuing visa's is vitally important in how they choose to interpret those rules. I AM speaking from my own personal experience here and not what I read online or hear from a drunken ex-pat in a bar.

Good Luck

Hi all and thx a lot for all of your feedbacks, I really appreciate it!

With regards to the issues you mentioned:

1. My passive income does not come from Capital (I don't have a lot of capital), it comes from years of brokering deals and it's basically the commission I get from deals that are done and will be made between all the parties involved (at this point, I am doing no work whatsoever, my work was already made)

If anything, this income will be higher with time.

I am willing to pay tax on this income, but in return I would like to get a work permit/something which will allow me to stay without the need of visa run.

2. There is no way for me to invest 10 mil and getting investment visa, I don't have this amount of money.

3. Too many visa runs (and the fear of one day not getting a visa while all my stuff are in the apartment) are the main obstacles I have at this point and I am afraid that too many visa runs will just cause me to feel that it's all way too much hassle and I am afraid that ultimately it will cause me to give up this dream (unless I find a proper solution)

4. Even if I wanted to become an English teacher (it's not for me personally), I am not a native English speaker and I personally think that only native speaking people should teach English.

5. What will I do with my time? well, here I have to agree with ludditeman, I have a lot of hobbies, I am a very friendly person and I plan to really build a life there, meet good people, read, hang out and do everything I would do back home, just in a much nicer and affordable place :)

I will also travel a lot, BUT it would be traveling light and always come back to my home in Thailand.

After living and working abroad for over 6 years (in which 1 years was in S.East Asia), I am fully aware of the bar/girls/night scene issues, and how if you are not really in control, might spend all your monthly allowance in a single day...

Been there, done that (many times actually..) I'm not sorry for anything, I had a blast!, but at this point of my life, the idea is to take control over my life and not to focus only on these things as they are not healthy to the body and to the pocket if you over do it.

If you learn to do things in moderation, you can have a very good life in this budget in my opinion (based on the short trips I've made in Thailand) .

6. Increasing living costs: I will live in a decent manner, if for some reason my money will not be sufficient for living comfortably, i will pack my things and fly out.

I don't mind moving to a smaller apartment and spending less when going out, However, I'm here to live well, not to suffer and think every time if I can effort a beer/night out on a daily basis.

7. I would love to learn Thai, I want to feel a part of the place and it is essential to speak the language if you want to really live in a place and feel a part of it.

O Visa (certainly the ones I have been getting for the last 10 years (every 15 months) are "O" Ordinary class and require nothing more than a smile and (sometimes) sight of a bank statement.. but as I have said before I always visit the small and friendly consulates in US/UK or Australia.

O Visas are the only real option for unmarried under-50's who are neither employed nor seeking to run a business in Thailand and not wish to study in Thailand.

Of course if your reason for applying for a O visa is Marriage or Retirement then you would need documentary evidence of that, but when most people talk about Retirement or Marriage Visa they are in-fact talking about the 12 month extension of stay for the purpose of retirement or marriage, which is very different.

And for what reason will he be issued this O visa, not married nor retirement requirements. His option is education, tourist, or marriage. The o visa consulates have been shut down he may get a single non o but that is only good for 90 days. You can take university degree doesn't need to be a language course.

go to Honarary Consulates in US, UK, Australia and you can show some income then IN MY EXPERIENCE you will have no problem getting O Visas
I AM speaking from my own personal experience here and not what I read online or hear from a drunken ex-pat in a bar.

At age 31 is not not going to obtain a non immigrant O visa without a valid reason and having an income is not a valid reason for issue. And I am not a drunken ex-pat this week.

Realistically, at your age and means, without being married, O Visas every 15 months from outside Thailand and 90 day trips to the border is (as far as I can see) the only realistic option.

Even if you were to get a extetion (married, retired, investment and education are all extensions to a O visa) you still have to report to immigration every 3 months.

You will only ever be a visitor in Thailand, get used to that or don't bother is my advice.

What you need to qualify for a O visa will vary from Consulate to Consulate, so long as you avoid Embassies and go to Honarary Consulates in US, UK, Australia and you can show some income then IN MY EXPERIENCE you will have no problem getting O Visas, if however to go to Thai Embassy anywhere in the world you will probably be denied a O visa.... also the smaller and quieter the Honarary Consulate the quicker and less fuss it is. Remember, with anything to do with Thailand it's not the rules that matter, it's how they are interpreted. Different offices interpret rules in different ways, and the fact that a Honarary Consulate's income is derived from issuing visa's is vitally important in how they choose to interpret those rules. I AM speaking from my own personal experience here and not what I read online or hear from a drunken ex-pat in a bar.

Good Luck

1. My passive income does not come from Capital (I don't have a lot of capital), it comes from years of brokering deals and it's basically the commission I get from deals that are done and will be made between all the parties involved (at this point, I am doing no work whatsoever, my work was already made)

I am willing to pay tax on this income, but in return I would like to get a work permit/something which will allow me to stay without the need of visa run.

2. There is no way for me to invest 10 mil and getting investment visa, I don't have this amount of money.

3. Too many visa runs (and the fear of one day not getting a visa while all my stuff are in the apartment) are the main obstacles I have at this point and I am afraid that too many visa runs will just cause me to feel that it's all way too much hassle and I am afraid that ultimately it will cause me to give up this dream (unless I find a proper solution)

4. Even if I wanted to become an English teacher (it's not for me personally), I am not a native English speaker and I personally think that only native speaking people should teach English.

5. What will I do with my time? well, here I have to agree with ludditeman, I have a lot of hobbies, I am a very friendly person and I plan to really build a life there, meet good people, read, hang out and do everything I would do back home, just in a much nicer and affordable place :)

I will also travel a lot, BUT it would be traveling light and always come back to my home in Thailand.

After living and working abroad for over 6 years (in which 1 years was in S.East Asia), I am fully aware of the bar/girls/night scene issues, and how if you are not really in control, might spend all your monthly allowance in a single day...

Been there, done that (many times actually..) I'm not sorry for anything, I had a blast!, but at this point of my life, the idea is to take control over my life and not to focus only on these things as they are not healthy to the body and to the pocket if you over do it.

If you learn to do things in moderation, you can have a very good life in this budget in my opinion (based on the short trips I've made in Thailand) .

6. Increasing living costs: I will live in a decent manner, if for some reason my money will not be sufficient for living comfortably, i will pack my things and fly out.

I don't mind moving to a smaller apartment and spending less when going out, However, I'm here to live well, not to suffer and think every time if I can effort a beer/night out on a daily basis.

7. I would love to learn Thai, I want to feel a part of the place and it is essential to speak the language if you want to really live in a place and feel a part of it.

Not entirely sure you are correct on the O visa front at the moment , particularly from the UK.

I managed to get my O visa renewed a couple of months back at Hull with a translation of my marriage certificate but I have two friends who are not married and all they can get atm is a 6 month tourist visa.

Well, i've been struggling along 10 years now with visa in Thailand, and still have 7 years until i may-be eligible for O visa. ( i think it's actually 55 years by law, which no doubt will be demanded in my particular case, but practice so far is 50)

Last i read was that double tourist visa eventually is refused, i already spent 2 years of the 5 years ED visa, i may have to stay a couple of years in Sianokville Cambodia.

Now that i no longer care for gogo that isnt bad at all, nice roads nice beaches clean air, and no <deleted> traffic jam/chaos.

except that i already have a thai gf, and got hooked on thai food.

My top priority was also a predictable convenient retirement, but alas that didn't happen,

and unless gogo has an even higher priority, i think Cambodia/Sianokville will suit you better.

Edited by poanoi

I have read here that tourist visas has been rejected in Vientiane lately, presumably after a couple of double entry visa's when attempting to get a 3rd.

I can get 3 more years ED, then there's 4 years of uncertainty before i get 50, and simply put i don't hold my breath for a O visa then even.

Tourist visas may or may not work until that that also m,ay or may not be valid by that time., thats what the original poster didnt want, and it aint what i want either

Edited by poanoi

I have read here that tourist visas has been rejected in Vientiane lately, presumably after a couple of double entry visa's when attempting to get a 3rd.

I can get 3 more years ED, then there's 4 years of uncertainty before i get 50, and simply put i don't hold my breath for a O visa then even.

Tourist visas may or may not work until that that also m,ay or may not be valid by that time., thats what the original poster didnt want, and it aint what i want either

You cna always go and study something else and get an ED-visa for that. You are not limited to Thai.

You have not said where you are now. If in the USA or Canada it is very easy to get a B visa. Go to the consultant and apply for a multiple entry B visa. If they ask for paper work tell them you are going to Thailand to start work and you don't have an employment contract yet. Most of the time they don't ask for any paper work, just the application and pay the fee. I use the one in Miami and just give them a letter from my company here in Thailand, I don't even complete a visa application just the letter and pay the fee done in ten minutes, been doing this for the past 12 years.

Other option since you don't care about paying taxes is open a company and have you income pass through the company as consulting fees or commission whatever. With having the company you can get a B visa and work permit. You will need to hire 4 thai employees, however you just need to get 4 thai friends and ask them to help you.

Good luck and i hope you enjoy your stay in Thailand.

I hope the people who are recommending Vietnam actually lived there. If not, let me be the one to say it: VIETNAM SUCKS. Beautiful place to visit (more interesting than Thailand), horrible place to live in. Three times more expensive and 100 times more primitive than Thailand. DONT DO IT.

inheritance mayhaps?

Not wanting to be unduly contentious but I find the OP's story very strange indeed.

He appears to have discovered the layabouts Mother Lode; in that, at a very early age, he somehow developed an unlimited source of income – nay, not just unlimited, but apparently pre-destined to increase over time, totally without further input or development from the OP.

Apparently not only is this income source totally inviolate – i.e. it can never be threatened by similar but more advanced "products" being introduced over the years - but the Seller / Licensee is content to continue paying a "Royalty" to the absentee OP, at the same time accepting that he, the OP, will never make any improvements to the "product" - to forestall newcomers invading and taking over the Market for example.

Finally I find it very difficult to believe that any young man who had the nous – the ability and intelligence – to create such a product or Service would be content to sit back, renting a cheap Baht 30,000.- Condo in Bangkok, waiting to watch his innovation being swamped by others.

Patrick

stickmanbangkok says to live ok in bangkok it cost around a million baht A year.If your talking up country ISSAN country,you can probably live fine on half of that.Maybe alot lower.I know people at udonthani that live on 1000 baht A day.

so stickman is the gospel is he ?

Well I am intrigued with how this income stream is being generated and guaranteed in perpetuity.

If you can make that sort of passive income why not do it a bit longer and make some real money.

3k a month is nothing for a guy 31 years of age and certainly no where near enough to stop working for ever.

and the fear of one day not getting a visa while all my stuff are in the apartment

About the stuff in the apartment- the golden rule for Thailand is not to invest or buy anything that you are not fully prepared to walk away from.

Don't worry, you will be married in a week, no visa probs. :lol:

How does getting married solve visa problems?

Marriage halves all bureucratic problems in Thailand and removes 90 days border runs.

Edited by lopburi3
fix quote

I hope the people who are recommending Vietnam actually lived there. If not, let me be the one to say it: VIETNAM SUCKS. Beautiful place to visit (more interesting than Thailand), horrible place to live in. Three times more expensive and 100 times more primitive than Thailand. DONT DO IT.

I lived in Thailand for five years and have now been in Vietnam for six years. It has everything I could ever want from a country. Salary is higher than Thailand and cost of living is lower. They also understand that they can benefit from learning from westerners which is something that Thais don't seem to understand.

Not even Cambodia is 100 times more primitive than Thailand. What a stupid thing to write!

Hi There

I was just reading your concern about you living in Thailand , visa , etc .

My suggestion is for you to open a legit small biz thru a lawyer in Thailand .

It sounds more complicated than it is but !!!

1: You need a Non-immigrant "B" Visa before you come to Thailand , or you can enter on the regular Tourist Visa , but would then have to go Penang , or Singapore to get it .

My experience is that its better to have it before you enter Thailand , or though sometimes Thai embassy in foreign countries can be pretty though to work with , but with a good plan of yours would help.

2:You need some start capital , about 4000$ US , Thai lawyer Fee , Goverment paper's e.t.c , 1 year visa .

3: After you have opened the company , the Lawyer takes care of you getting everything done in the right way :) Visa , accounting , but its good to find out what service your lawyer provides .

I went to thailand 2002 with a small amount of savings , opened a Company ( Music composer ) , and it gave me the securtity , and peace for not getting hazzelt around by the immigration .

Best of luck

People arn't being very helpful here, come on guys.

Here's what I would do, (and have done since I was 28)

1. Come on a buisness visa sponsored by a friend who has a business back home (very easy to do) this gives you 1 year.

2. Get on a ed visa with a reputable school a suggest Walen, you need the language anyway so why not. This gives you up to 10 years.

3. No idea what your going to do here but for the first few years learn thai until your fluent so you can get by with your ed visa for up to 10 years yeah.

4. Now your 41 can't get a ed visa so your only option is investment. Be wise with your money if your making 3000 a month spend only 1500 I spend about 800 a month and live in chiang mai, have 2 girlfriends party once a week and live better than when i made 12000 a month in california. now open a business in thailand will cost you about 2,000,000 baht no less if you save 1000 a month for 10 years this should be more than enough. you don't have to have a real business just a cover so you get a work permit, with teh work permit you can now live here until your able to retire here.

I don't care how they change the laws for immigration this way of doing it has rarely changed.

If you want to know how to live frugly in chiang mai do a search in google for "how to live in chiang mai on $10 a day"

Hello Yan,

You can easily have a decent life with 25,000 Baht a month. You can get decent studio apartments in Bangkok between 6,000 - 8,000 baht a month, close to the MRT or BTS.

One tends to waste money if one is not occupied. If you are keen on education, assuming you have a Bachelor degree, you can pursue a Masters and easily get a ED visa (renewed yearly for 5 years). This avoids the hassle of visa runs and paying tax. You seem to be passionate about life and I appreciate that very much. During these 5 years you could travel Asia, learn Thai (become fluent if dedicated), pursue your hobbies and pick up new interesting things (from Buddhism to Yoga to Photography to Music to Scuba Diving) and make your life more meaningful.

Be prudent in your spending habits and make it a habit to save every month. You will be surprised at how easy it is to have a positive bank balance at year end despite having a good meaningful time.

If you have any questions, you can contact me and I would be happy to answer what I can.

...I'd have to second Dotx comment. VietNam is okay for 1-2 week visit. Read up on "Dien Bien Phu"(by Bernard Fall), Pentagon Papers and "Bright Shining Lie" by Neil Sheehan.

But the people suck. The most venal, capricious thieves on earth. Pretty country. Hoi An, just south of DaNang is quite nice. But EVERY single day, I witnessed 2-3 fights of Vietnamese kicking the crap out of one another. Then I got robbed at gunpoint. Maybe you will be as lucky?

The fear/rip-off factor is so high in VietNam, the last thing on your time horizon is to get laid. Give VietNam a quick visit to strike it off your list.

Anyone recommending Philipines to the OP?

You'll kiss the ground in Cambodia or Thailand after you depart VietNam. If you want a Viet gal, then head to Cambodia.

Travel about Laos. I loved Louang Prabang, the ancient capital. Get a decent bicycle and bicycle tour all over Lao and Prathet Tai. If tired, just place your bike on a bus and travel to next town. Bus network in Thailand is amazing.

Head to China and travel about PRIOR to the winter months settling in. Late October and you are cutting things close.

Never head to China during their Lunar New Year.

India: $80 USD for 6 month visa, $100 USD for 12 month visa, $120 USD for 10 year visa. Too bad Thailand doesn't do things as straightforward.

Get a map of India and draw a line connecting Mumbai (Bombay) and Chennai (old Maadras). Stay SOUTH of this line. Plenty to see in Kerala, Ft, Cochin, Goa, Palolem, Paniji, etc.

Top flight medical avaialble throughout India. Like the Apollo Hospital system.

Read "Shantaram" by David Gregory Roberts.

Do up Malayasia and Indonesia and Bali. Steer clear of Sumatran girls.

Yes, learn passah Tai. Start today. Get the coloring books where you trace over each character and each vowel (sara). Get keyboard stickers and type (pim) in Tai. Get any book written in Tai and transcribe the entire tome.

Take a combo of classes, self-study and private tutors. Your head will be full of cotton for 4-6 weeks, then all makes sense. Spend 2-3 hours per day, but also learn to put the books down for a spell.

Learn to live like a Tai. Okay okay, you have nice funds, but still run the following exercise 1-3 times each year to stay sharp:

Cut yourself 25,000-30,000baht and live one month within this amount, housing included. You can locate great housing for 6-8k baht per month. Save you funds and convert to gold or silver for that inevitable rainy day.

Thailand is NOT a place to flaunt your wealth as you will soon be relieved of it.

Give alms daily. Skip ahan falang. Exercise regularly.

Smart to buy your own motorbike, provided you are proficient ALREADY on a motorbike. If you are not skilled and are scared of motorbikes, then yeah, stay off them, you'll just become another inkspot on Sukhumvit. Bring a good helmet (muak) from Falangland, or buy and wear a full-faced helmet.

Learn to love Isaan music. Learn the lyrics to several songs and sing them to your gal. Playing Isaan tunes in your loom will turbo-charge their kooters in ways you can barely imagine.

Keep it fun......

Edited by burgdawg
  • Like 2

Assuming that your "passive income" is from investments, and that you're being prudent and taking no more than 4% per annum that would suggest your total investments are $900,000 or more. (If you're taking more than 4% you run the risk of eroding your capital over time.)

A serious medical problem could easily wipe out a third of that.

A falling in the exchange rate could quickly wipe out another third (assuming you're not fully hedged).

Then how would another stockmarket crash affect you? Or fraud? (Personally I've been hit by both the Weavering Capital fraud and the Arch Cru one, which has rather dented my finances.)

What about years of inflation? The current Thai government's policies seem to guarantee that that will skyrocket.

In short, you don't have enough capital to survive securely long term in Thailand.

Also, what would you do all day? Plenty of expats with too little to fill their time end up seeking the bottom of a whisky bottle.

On a more positive note, consider teaching English. The minimum for a contract to get a work permit is 12 hours per week - and you don't actually have to work that many hours. It would let you get a one year extensible visa and help you to meet people as well as give some structure to your life here.

Where would one go to teach English? What type of qualifications would one need in order to do this? Seems like a fun way to meet people outside of a go-go bar lol or a bar period. :P

Thanks