Pls Add Your View On Automatic Transmission + Comfort

THAIPHUKET

Ut oh! Well you got me there guy :whistling: , I've no come back so witty so I'll have to concede victory to you :rolleyes: ...Now you're the Champ..

Didn't realise there was a competition. I will happily concede that you're the faster (track) driver if you concede that I'm the better (road) driver :)

Not on your life buddy!!! Not on any surface be it paved or otherwise..

Aw, c'mon. Tell you what - I will grant you all sorts of surfaces if you will only grant me paved surface where cars travel in both directions, where there are traffic lights and intersections and pedestrians and motorbikes and tuk tuks and buses. As far as I know, on a race track, all cars travel in the same direction at pretty much similar speeds and there is generally only one sort of motorised vehicle.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ut oh! Well you got me there guy :whistling: , I've no come back so witty so I'll have to concede victory to you :rolleyes: ...Now you're the Champ..

Didn't realise there was a competition. I will happily concede that you're the faster (track) driver if you concede that I'm the better (road) driver :)

Another good point. :)

More shock you'd see that as another good point.....Not an accident in more then 35 years of driving including across Europe too and 8 years here and only 2 serious accidents (meaning equipment retiring incidents) due to equipment failure on the track and less then a handful of even minor incidents at speed in competition there's few street drivers that can match that sort of record even in just daily driving..

Reminds me of that old lady that has never had an accident in 60 yrs of driving but she sees an accident behind her every time she looked in her rear view mirror :)

Or the two old ladies driving along when the old lady driver went through a red light, hmm the other thought , then she went through another red light,

" do you know you just drove through 2 red lights", " Oh, l thought you were driving" :lol:

More shock you'd see that as another good point.....Not an accident in more then 35 years of driving including across Europe too and 8 years here and only 2 serious accidents (meaning equipment retiring incidents) due to equipment failure on the track and less then a handful of even minor incidents at speed in competition there's few street drivers that can match that sort of record even in just daily driving..

Reminds me of that old lady that has never had an accident in 60 yrs of driving but she sees an accident behind her every time she looked in her rear view mirror :)

Boy are we seriously confused now... You're projecting here BKK.. But you got a buddy in T/A as long as you keep posting these witty quips and flames directed at me the likes of which fall right in line with his level of intellectual maturity and understanding..

Boy are we seriously confused now... You're projecting here BKK.. But you got a buddy in T/A as long as you keep posting these witty quips and flames directed at me the likes of which fall right in line with his level of intellectual maturity and understanding..

All in jest mate. Just "poot len"

All in jest mate. Just "poot len"

Warpy returned to his car to find it had been ransacked, burger wrappers on the floor and they had even stole his steering wheel, Get's on his mobile and called the police,

" OK sir, we will be right with you".

Police arrive to find he was sitting on the back seat. :lol:

AND there are other reasons to choose an automatic. A farang male friend of mine, 60 years old, insisted that he had to have an automatic transmission in a pickup truck. He finally had to admit that he didn't know how to drive a manual transmission.

AND there are other reasons to choose an automatic. A farang male friend of mine, 60 years old, insisted that he had to have an automatic transmission in a pickup truck. He finally had to admit that he didn't know how to drive a manual transmission.

Well, if hes a Brit,he started late in life,and has an A stamp on his lisence,or has passed here.Or an American who cant drive no matter what licence they have. Ken Block is the only Yank who can.

:D :jap:

Well, if hes a Brit,he started late in life,and has an A stamp on his lisence,or has passed here.Or an American who cant drive no matter what licence they have. Ken Block is the only Yank who can.

Ken Block?? He's a <deleted> showman he couldn't drive if it meant he had to beat anybody else he's already proving that in the WRC.. He can drive around stationary obstacles that don't move or fight back but any decent driver can do that..

Ken Block?? He's a <deleted> showman he couldn't drive if it meant he had to beat anybody else he's already proving that in the WRC.. He can drive around stationary obstacles that don't move or fight back but any decent driver can do that..

Give him 1 for Trying. Yanks just go for 10 Sec Shots in a straigt line, or round in Circles.:D

Give him 1 for Trying. Yanks just go for 10 Sec Shots in a straigt line, or round in Circles.:D

Not this Yank and I'm dam_n good at it too.. Not rally though, circuit racing..

Not this Yank and I'm dam_n good at it too.. Not rally though, circuit racing..

Still going round in circles, albeit a misshapen one. Just joking - PEACE!!

Auto in a car fine. In a pick-up never.

Agree with Gary A.

I am not willing to give up the horsepower a slushbox wastes. Real men drive sticks.

yeah right! real men who live by the beliefs of yesteryear when they were boys and possess a wealth of "no technical knowledge" :lol:

The autos are great for a family/city car but for fun in small diesel performances truck forget the autos they arent yet up to the task and can not take the torque or abuse a stick will.

Total nonsense. :rolleyes:

I see where you are coming from T.A. but Ive bust 3 Auto Boxes,in V 12 and V8 potters, my mistake engaging at hi revs, my fault entirely Kids had music that loud i over revved, but a manual wouldn't bust the bands.The other 2 Boxes had line pressure issues and got on my tits generally GERMAN Ones ,Audi and B.M.. Borg Warner Type 35, is one thats never bust on me. The Dithering Ferangs that generaly clog roads here the old DAF auto would be well suited. Why do School teacher piss about at left turnsand, and drive Autos with Tissue Boxes in the rear window.B)

yeah right! real men who live by the beliefs of yesteryear when they were boys and possess a wealth of "no technical knowledge" :lol:

The autos are great for a family/city car but for fun in small diesel performances truck forget the autos they arent yet up to the task and can not take the torque or abuse a stick will.

Total nonsense. :rolleyes:

I see where you are coming from T.A. but Ive bust 3 Auto Boxes,in V 12 and V8 potters, my mistake engaging at hi revs, my fault entirely Kids had music that loud i over revved, but a manual wouldn't bust the bands.The other 2 Boxes had line pressure issues and got on my tits generally GERMAN Ones ,Audi and B.M.. Borg Warner Type 35, is one thats never bust on me. The Dithering Ferangs that generaly clog roads here the old DAF auto would be well suited. Why do School teacher piss about at left turnsand, and drive Autos with Tissue Boxes in the rear window.B)

Talking about left turns, when is it legal to turn left on red and when is it not? I turn all the time regardless and so far been lucky not to have been stopped by the police.

Talking about left turns, when is it legal to turn left on red and when is it not? I turn all the time regardless and so far been lucky not to have been stopped by the police.

It's legal to turn left when light is red if on the pole to your left at the corner has a sign saying Turn left anytime with care.

Depends where and what area your in, around Suk here you can do all left turns.

We get a lot of flashing amber at lights at junctions too and you can carry on and go through when safe to do so.

In Bangkok I have seen that you cannot turn left unless it is signed to do so.

Now that it's been mentioned, what is the fastest ever ET/MPH run on a 1/4 mile with a manual gearbox ?

Me personally Ive done high 6.90's @ 200MPH with an auto (powerglide), whats the best with a manual ?

Sure glad you have come on board to show some what a 1950's design auto can do, BUT. the OP was asking a question. :)

Gotta love old tech v's new, Australia now hold the world record for a Powerglide equipped car and also turbo car.

Rob Campesi 5.97 @ 254 MPH.

Now that it's been mentioned, what is the fastest ever ET/MPH run on a 1/4 mile with a manual gearbox ?

Me personally Ive done high 6.90's @ 200MPH with an auto (powerglide), whats the best with a manual ?

Sure glad you have come on board to show some what a 1950's design auto can do, BUT. the OP was asking a question. :)

Gotta love old tech v's new, Australia now hold the world record for a Powerglide equipped car and also turbo car.

Awesome stuff and it is a TWO speed auto for those who are interested.. :)

Awesome stuff indeed and for those who like manual, must be kinda like a shock treatment to them.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Kwasaki

Awesome stuff indeed and for those who like manual, must be kinda like a shock treatment to them.:lol: :lol: :lol:

More like open their eyes. :huh::lol:

Yep, sure do see those on the roads everyday :rolleyes: especially with granny going to the market.. Very practical that <_<..

2 Speed Power Glide auto was the first auto used by GM (USA) in the 50's until TH 350 and TH400 3 speed took over. The TH400 was used by Rolls Royce and Jaguar and others in their big inch rides.

Believe the point we are making is that a factory auto can be modified to handle mega horse power with a few mods where as a manual cannot.

Someone here stated why do race trucks in LOS use manuals. Afraid the guy should consider that they can survive cos of clutch slip. Pedal to the metal, dump the clutch and the first thing the power meets is the clutch and it momentarily slips relieving stress on the box. :)

My Pontiac was manual originally but had too much clutch slip on launch. Had a twin plate made up by McLoed in USA, fitted it, launched and blew the box too pieces, nooooo clutch slip, hence my race auto. Down side of an auto for racing is it takes HP to operate it, l believe around 40 HP for a TH400.

I can drive a manual without a clutch. A Racer showed me when i was a kid. No suprise to MRO,and the other enthusiasts though. You can win a few Bucks off the Uneducated. though. .My Wife can also go up, but she cant quite get the revs right back to first. Dont try this at home.:o Made my Old Pappy livid.,he crunched every gear. Ups fairly easy, just pull through , dont drop the revs. Just for the Nay sayers. To start off.Engage first,turn the key , gun it, then do as you like, or pull second quick.

I can drive a manual without a clutch. A Racer showed me when i was a kid. No suprise to MRO,and the other enthusiasts though. You can win a few Bucks off the Uneducated. though. .My Wife can also go up, but she cant quite get the revs right back to first. Dont try this at home.:o Made my Old Pappy livid.,he crunched every gear. Ups fairly easy, just pull through , dont drop the revs. Just for the Nay sayers. To start off.Engage first,turn the key , gun it, then do as you like, or pull second quick.

Motorbikes with a clutch the same without using it, it's been done for donkeys years.

Best use the clutch for setting off on high compression bikes.:)

I guess you can call them semi auto's.

Like my Mrs was automatically counter steering her bike without knowing it.:lol:

Edited by Kwasaki

Anyone can do that, now trying leaving the traffic lights with a heap of revs onboard without a clutch........... kinda wish you had an auto for times like those. I have always been a manual person for my daily's and my current car is my first daily auto and to be honest I love it, there is nothing I cannot do in this that I could do with a manual box.

When the V8 goes in it will have an auto as well, A friend in OZ will be building a full manual shift kit box with a high stall full lock up convertor, can't wait, the best of both worlds and no clutch pedal.

Anyone can do that, now trying leaving the traffic lights with a heap of revs onboard without a clutch........... kinda wish you had an auto for times like those. I have always been a manual person for my daily's and my current car is my first daily auto and to be honest I love it, there is nothing I cannot do in this that I could do with a manual box.

When the V8 goes in it will have an auto as well, A friend in OZ will be building a full manual shift kit box with a high stall full lock up convertor, can't wait, the best of both worlds and no clutch pedal.

Absolutely, the blind will always be blind. :)

You people are not getting it as usual!!!! It's so frustrating trying to communicate with mere mortals :( It's not about shifiting faster that is part of the problem with auto's they shift for economy not performance which is what I want, I could care less if it shifts fast it will not out-shift me because I decide when to shift and at what Rpm's or when not to which is based on the traffic I see ahead of me and reading the traffic which my car can not do and won't do until I put my foot down in the case of an automatic, where as if I see an opening developing and I downshift before applying the throttle and the engine is already to speed to move into the gap.. Even the DSG autos resist this when the car is at certain Rpm's it deems inefficient or potentially damaging for the average Joe driver on the streets and either won't down shift or shifts back on it's own, so there is no way a stock automatic in these level of cars will ever outshift me in a manual nor will ANY driver not even super T/A the drag racer in his hot Vigo!!..

Gearbox technology and in particular robotized gearboxes like DSG have made enormous progress lately. With new software, often 3 different driving styles are allowed:

"Comfort"

"Standard"

"Dynamic"

When in Dynamic mode, a gearshift is done in 0.15 sec. Try to beat that manually!

Moreover throttle response is quicker, differential settings, damper settings etc. all changes to sports mode.

I challenge you anytime with my car, which has a 7 ratio DSG with 4-wheel drive and actually 4 driving mode ("Adaptive" in addition). When I drive in "Dynamic" mode, say in 5 gear and decide floor the pedal, gearchange is instantaneous and I get the proverbial kick in the ass as the car leaps forward.

And this is more than likely done in a shorter time than any manual gearbox. Guaranteed!

Now, my car also has shift paddles and that's a lot of fun too. The sound is gorgeous.