Tyre Prices 185/60R15

Has anyone bought any tyres recetly that can give me an idea of prices I should be getting them for?

Also what brand?

Curent tyres are Bridgestone Potenza but would consider other reliable makes (Dunlop? Maxxis? Others?)

In a repair shop I was quoted 2,000 Baht for a Deestone trye but have never heard of that make before and wasn't able to check out proper tyre dealers as they were closed on Sunday.

I'm in Pattaya if that makes any difference?

TIA

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just check the B-Quick website. You can search for any tire you want.

http://www.b-quik.com/en/index.php

tire.jpg

spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif

Also check cockpit. They have Bridgestone.

http://www.cockpit.c...roduct_tyre.asp

I can say that the Michelin XM1 is a good tire. I had them on my City.With the discount I paid 10,000 (those were 2,450 because the city has tiny 14 tires).

I would stay away from the 2,000 baht thunderer or other no brand tire. Just spend a bit more and get a Michelin.

Edited by thaicruze

Thanks guys,

they're a bit more expensive than I thought considering last time I bought tyres they were 1,300 Baht each!!!

It's odd that looking in the Cockpit search for my car (Vios) it recommends a completely different tyre than is actually on it straight from the dealer (175/65R14 recommended) and doesn't have a Toyota Yaris in the search list at all which I also need the same tyres for.

Am I right in thinking that the 175/65R14 would not fit as a replacement for 185/60R15???

Edit: and would small dealers be any cheaper than these big chains?

Edited by PattayaParent

1,800 for a Michelin tire? I'm sorry but that sounds impossible. Any decent brand tire is normally around 4,000 or more. I think counterfeit tires are not uncommon in Thailand. I'd rather have a good no-name tire than a shoddy knock-off.

I need to replace the tires on my Civic shortly. The factory tires are Bridgestone Turanza 205/55R16. I really don't care about brand names or performance, but of course I don't want a cheap Chinese knock-off that could blow up on the motorway either.

The B-quick website lists YOKOHAMA A.Drive R1 tires in my size for 4,090 each. That sounds like an ok tyre for me and the website list an outlet at Big-C South Pattaya.

Any opinions on that from the hive? Is a 2,000 baht Michelin tire really the real thing? Is there other, perhaps unknown, but good local brands worth considering? How can you ensure you're not being sold a counterfeit tire in Thailand? Would buying from a reputable chain such as B-quick or Cockpit be safe enough?

Ah, yes you're probably right, I misread it, my bad, sorry about that.

The rest of my question still stands though :)

Normally I'm not too concerned about brand names but I know people here who, knowingly or not, had counterfeit tires that blew up on them during high speed on the motorway. I'd rather prefer not to have that happen to me, but I have no idea how to spot a counterfeit tire.

I guess the dealer in Sriracha the Op mentions is located only a few hundred meters past Tukcom,if you come from Pattaya, at the same side as Tuckom and yes he is the cheapest in the area as I usually do some research when I buy tires ( read I check out every dealer in a 100 Km circle around my place :D ) and I also buy my tires there.

I guess the dealer in Sriracha the Op mentions is located only a few hundred meters past Tukcom,if you come from Pattaya, at the same side as Tuckom and yes he is the cheapest in the area as I usually do some research when I buy tires ( read I check out every dealer in a 100 Km circle around my place :D ) and I also buy my tires there.

Where exactly is this cheap tyre dealer in Sriracha located a few hundred metres from tukom in Pattaya ?

Where exactly is this cheap tyre dealer in Sriracha located a few hundred metres from tukom in Pattaya ?

If you come from pattaya and you see tukcom on your right side,you drive further past the traffic lights and you will see again on you right side the shop.You will have to make a u-turn at the next traffic lights to reach the shop.

If you come from pattaya and you see tukcom on your right side,you drive further past the traffic lights and you will see again on you right side the shop.You will have to make a u-turn at the next traffic lights to reach the shop.

So you do a U turn on Sukhumvit road ?

Looking at your pic. I can see straight away that's not a Bridgestone.

What I was thinking with fake tyres was do they look like the real thing as in Rolex watches etc.

The reason I'm asking is that my last set of Bridgestones on my Sport Cruiser have barely lasted 25k. klms.

They've worn evenly and I've had them checked for balance etc.

I don't do so many miles these days so they've been on 3 1/2 years so I'm putting the wear down to age.

They were new when I bought them, the date of manufacture only 2 months before fitting.

My first set from new only lasted 41k.klms. although there was probably 5-10k. left in them when I re-shod. They were 5 years old so I wasn't complaining especially as I left a lot of rubber on the highway whilst getting the hang of driving around Pattaya. Now I keep reading about some people getting 100k. and more out of a set I'm thinking "were these genine?"

Back in Europe I used to get max 30k km out of a set of tires, but that included a considerable amount of very high speed motorway driving. Here in Thailand I got 40k km out of the factory tires and I think that's probably as much as you can expect.

Does anyone know how to detect a fake set of tyres?

Yeah a Deestone is a thai knock off of a Bridgestone.

That Deestone sure looks nice, but I guess you can do a lot with photoshop. I used to have tires with a similar pattern in Europe and would not recommend it, both unsteady and noisy.

I ever bought Bridgestone 185/60R15 at Sriracha tyre Shop (Sriracha Kitkarnyang). They have Dunlop too. This shop located near The City Hotel.

Call before you go. Tel. 038-313-195-7

Is that the place mentioned by the OP, or is this another place?

Back in Europe I used to get max 30k km out of a set of tires, but that included a considerable amount of very high speed motorway driving. Here in Thailand I got 40k km out of the factory tires and I think that's probably as much as you can expect.

Does anyone know how to detect a fake set of tyres?

Yeah a Deestone is a thai knock off of a Bridgestone.

That Deestone sure looks nice, but I guess you can do a lot with photoshop. I used to have tires with a similar pattern in Europe and would not recommend it, both unsteady and noisy.

I ever bought Bridgestone 185/60R15 at Sriracha tyre Shop (Sriracha Kitkarnyang). They have Dunlop too. This shop located near The City Hotel.

Call before you go. Tel. 038-313-195-7

Is that the place mentioned by the OP, or is this another place?

That's the place, and they even gave me a discount on the price they quoted over the 'phone so the saving was 2,200 Baht per set of 4, not per tyre.

Edit: my OEM Bridgestones have done 68,000+kms so far. Time for a new set I think?

Edited by PattayaParent

for what its worth, i would go for the michelin energy range. sticks to the road and great handling lasts at least 60k km minimum! I paid about 2700-2800 per piece for fitting on 185/60/R15. never compromise on tyres. i would also think that the vios should be fitted with 175 R14. then again if the rims have been changed to a 15 in from the factory r14?

My wife just called Siracha Tire shop and got the following quotes for 205/55R16:

Michelin MKV8: 3,900

Yokohama Earth1: 3,650

Marshall MU11: 2,600

The only reference to Michelin MKV8 I've been able to find on the Internet is from Malaysia and Michelin's Thai website doesn't list a MKV8 either. The Michelin models offered by B-quick are listed.

There is a Yokohama Earth1 but it seems to be a cheaper model than the A.drive R1 offered by B-quick.

There are quite a few reviews on the Internet of the Marshall MU11, and most are not very good, for example this one (in German, use Google Translate).

I did a little searching on the Internet and it seems Marshall is a brand made by Korean company Kumbo who have been OEM "for vehicle manufacturers such as Chrysler, Daimler, Ford, General Motors, Hyundai, Kia, Mitsubishi, and Volkswagen". Not bad!

Unfortunately the Wikipedia entry continues: "in 2011, China Central Television (CCTV) disclosed that, there were serious irregularities in the tire production process of Kumho tires. It reuses a lot of mixing in the production process, is not in accordance with its standard to produce. March 21, 2011 afternoon, the president of Kumho Tire (Kim Jong-ho), and president of Kumho Tire China (Li Hanxie) released the official statement of apology through CCTV, and announced the recall of all the illegal products".

I can imagine where the recalled tires are likely being sold. :(

for what its worth, i would go for the michelin energy range. sticks to the road and great handling lasts at least 60k km minimum! I paid about 2700-2800 per piece for fitting on 185/60/R15. never compromise on tyres. i would also think that the vios should be fitted with 175 R14. then again if the rims have been changed to a 15 in from the factory r14?

The factory installed is an R15 on the Vios, would a 175/65R14 fit as a replacement for the factory installed 185/60R15???

The factory installed is an R15 on the Vios, would a 175/65R14 fit as a replacement for the factory installed 185/60R15???

Not unless you are going to change rims. The number after the R is the rim diameter in inches. If your rims are 15" you need something..R15.

The Last number is rim size/ diameter 175/65 14 being 14 inch wheel and 185/60 15 is 15 inch so totally different

http://www.bridgestoneselect.com.au/LearnTyres/Readingyourtyresize.aspx

Tyre wear is very dependant on various factors . In general , the wider the tyre , the more fuel consumption and less km/miles on them before replacement . The advantage is higher safety on dry roads ( more surface ) . On wet road , it is a bit different since the higher surface also brings the danger of aquaplaning ( film of water between tyres and road ) .

2nd thing is , the harder the tyre , the more km/miles you get out of a set . Sport tyres in general are softer then touring models .

3th road surface and speed are big factors also . More stopping , cornering etc bring down the life of a tyre .

4th type of car and power involved . You just cannot have a 60.000 km tyre on a Ferrari . Too much power on the surface so more wear .

Do not let anybody tell you , Bridgestone/Dunlop/Michelin lasts at least xxx km etc etc . Check internet forums on owners from the same vehicle you have and you will get a rough figure on how many km/miles you can expect within a certain margin .

Also , go to the websites of the manufacturers as they state which tyre for which use ( even a slightly trained eye can tell the difference between a sport tyre and a touring tyre ) . Remember , you cannot have grip and many miles at the same time .You have to choose on your driving style , fast with high cornering speeds etc .. choose a sport tyre . Average speed , touring tyres are better ( not safety wise , but economy wise , sport tyres also increase fuel consumption ) .

Here in Thailand I got 40k km out of the factory tires and I think that's probably as much as you can expect.

The OEM Bridgestones on our VIOS had slightly more than 60,000 when we changed them. There was still some tread left and could have squeezed a few more K's out if we wanted, but it was the beginning of rainy season and I felt better changing them sooner for that reason.

my OEM Bridgestones have done 68,000+kms so far. Time for a new set I think?

I think so too- based on what my OEM Bridgestones looked like at 60 K. Yours are probably definitely ready.

There is a Yokohama Earth1 but it seems to be a cheaper model than the A.drive R1 offered by B-quick.

These Yoko Earth 1 are what we bought. Warranty is only 40 K, so that is all I'll expect from them. Excellent tires though- totally changed the personality of our VIOS. Smoother, quieter, and stickier in the corners at speed.

Here in Thailand I got 40k km out of the factory tires and I think that's probably as much as you can expect.

The OEM Bridgestones on our VIOS had slightly more than 60,000 when we changed them. There was still some tread left and could have squeezed a few more K's out if we wanted, but it was the beginning of rainy season and I felt better changing them sooner for that reason.

my OEM Bridgestones have done 68,000+kms so far. Time for a new set I think?

I think so too- based on what my OEM Bridgestones looked like at 60 K. Yours are probably definitely ready.

These Yoko Earth 1 are what we bought. Warranty is only 40 K, so that is all I'll expect from them. Excellent tires though- totally changed the personality of our VIOS. Smoother, quieter, and stickier in the corners at speed.

I've got earth-1 on my civic but find them a little more noisy than the dunlop veuros I had before. They have huge grooves though and are very good in the wet.