Tyre Prices 185/60R15

Here in Thailand I got 40k km out of the factory tires and I think that's probably as much as you can expect.

The OEM Bridgestones on our VIOS had slightly more than 60,000 when we changed them. There was still some tread left and could have squeezed a few more K's out if we wanted, but it was the beginning of rainy season and I felt better changing them sooner for that reason.

Actually I just double checked and the meter shows 48,900 km. I don't know if there is a law for how much thread needs to be on tires here, but in the west I think the minimum is around 1.6mm. How is this measured? My oem Bridgestone's have 3-4mm thread in the two deep grooves that go all the way around the tire, but the small "capillary" ones that are supposed to lead water out to the side are nearly gone, maybe one mm left. Which groove counts as the minimum depth?

I'm fairly sure I used to get no more than 30k on a set of tires with my last car in Europe, but that was a 290 BHP BMW 540i with 225/50ZR16 tires (IIRC) and the tires were soft as a rubber (eraser).

There is a Yokohama Earth1 but it seems to be a cheaper model than the A.drive R1 offered by B-quick.

These Yoko Earth 1 are what we bought. Warranty is only 40 K, so that is all I'll expect from them. Excellent tires though- totally changed the personality of our VIOS. Smoother, quieter, and stickier in the corners at speed.

Thanks for the input. You can compare the tires here

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which groove counts as the minimum depth?

If you look closely in the treads, you will find a wear indicator at intervals around the tire. This is a strip of "raised rubber" that runs perpendicular / across the face of the tire. When the tires wear down to the point that you are seeing these straight horizontal bands across the tire / through the treads, it is definitely time to replace them.

post-18167-0-52104100-1314032904_thumb.j

Usually there is a small arrow indicator on the sidewall, showing the location of the tread-wear indicator, but not always.

post-18167-0-05795700-1314032942_thumb.j

The other "rule of thumb" we used at home was to insert a penny into the tread, with the head on the head side of the coin pointing down. If the tread was worn down enough that the top of the head was visible, the tire needed replaced.

post-18167-0-86061600-1314033030_thumb.j

Amazing google- even had a picture of that. Hope this helps.

If you look closely in the treads, you will find a wear indicator at intervals around the tire. This is a strip of "raised rubber" that runs perpendicular / across the face of the tire. When the tires wear down to the point that you are seeing these straight horizontal bands across the tire / through the treads, it is definitely time to replace them.

What I mean is, if you look at this image you see the big vertical grooves and the small horizontal grooves. On my tires the vertical grooves are still plenty deep, 3-4 mm, but the horizontal grooves are just one mm or less.

No treadwear-indicators to be seen yet so I can either assume my tires are fine, or they might just not have any indicators?

What I mean is, if you look at this image you see the big vertical grooves and the small horizontal grooves. On my tires the vertical grooves are still plenty deep, 3-4 mm, but the horizontal grooves are just one mm or less.

No treadwear-indicators to be seen yet so I can either assume my tires are fine, or they might just not have any indicators?

Every tire has those horizontal treadwear indicators.Think you should take a closer look as they might be already at the same level as the vertical ones and more difficult to detect at that point.

for what its worth, i would go for the michelin energy range. sticks to the road and great handling lasts at least 60k km minimum! I paid about 2700-2800 per piece for fitting on 185/60/R15. never compromise on tyres. i would also think that the vios should be fitted with 175 R14. then again if the rims have been changed to a 15 in from the factory r14?

The factory installed is an R15 on the Vios, would a 175/65R14 fit as a replacement for the factory installed 185/60R15???

As others have said the tyres would be a bit loose on the rims :( Look here for a lot of info on the subject http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

The factory installed is an R15 on the Vios, would a 175/65R14 fit as a replacement for the factory installed 185/60R15???

As others have said the tyres would be a bit loose on the rims :( Look here for a lot of info on the subject http://www.carbibles..._bible_pg4.html

A bit loose ?

I would like to see someone stretch a 14" tyre onto a 15" rim.

Edited by Spoonman

So is this tyre place in Sriracha or Pattaya ?

If by "this" you refer to Siracha Tire shop, that would be in Siracha. ;)

B-Quick and Cockpit are national chains with shops in Pattaya and elsewhere.

Cheers, thanks for clearing that up, Janverbeem had me confused with the following.

I guess the dealer in Sriracha the Op mentions is located only a few hundred meters past Tukcom,if you come from Pattaya, at the same side as Tuckom and yes he is the cheapest in the area as I usually do some research when I buy tires ( read I check out every dealer in a 100 Km circle around my place :D ) and I also buy my tires there.

Every tire has those horizontal treadwear indicators.Think you should take a closer look as they might be already at the same level as the vertical ones and more difficult to detect at that point.

I agree with Jan- I've never seen a tire (passenger car / truck tire that is) that doesn't have treadwear indicators. Bridgestone had them on our previous set of Potenzas, so I can't believe they wouldn't have them on Turanzas.

Difficult to say without actually looking at your tires; If the tread is more heavily worn at the edges of the tires / closer to the sidewalls in the water-chanelling treads , it suggests that your tires have been running under-inflated.

The 1.6 mm that you suggest sounds about right for the height of the treadwear indicators - they would be showing on through the tread when your tires wore down to that point. If any of the tread on your tires is less- 1 mm as you suggest, I would be concerned.

If you've got the resources / budget, change them now. If not, then drive carefully, especially in the rain!

Or you've worn them off already???

Edit 1.6mm on the centre is legal minimum in UK, side patterns don't count

http://www.etyres.co.uk/uk-tyre-law

Edited by PattayaParent

I agree with Jan- I've never seen a tire (passenger car / truck tire that is) that doesn't have treadwear indicators. Bridgestone had them on our previous set of Potenzas, so I can't believe they wouldn't have them on Turanzas.

This is a Turanza AR 10.

tread-close-up.jpg

Went to check in the daylight and sure, the treadwear indicators are there. Live and learn :lol:

post-1539-0-01693300-1314076930_thumb.jp

There are still 3-4 mm of wear in those 4 center grooves, but the sides are much less, 1 mm or less. The tires are not worn more at the sides, it's just that the grooves are not as deep as the big 4 in the center.

I guess it's time for replacement tires anyway, even though we're far from the 60k others report. Got a lump of cash locked up in my bank account for my visa extension. Hopefully I should get the visa next week, then it's time to spend it. ;)

The Yokohama tires seem on balance as an ok choice, so I guess the question is just whether to get

Earth01.jpg Yokohama Earth1 @ 3,650 in Siracha, or A-Drive-R1.jpg Yokohama A.drive R1 @4,090 in Pattaya.

Not completely decided but at this time tempted to splash the extra couple of hundreds for the R1 tires.

Wow - you've got the hi-so color indicators, but they are definitely telling you that your tires are ready for the redshirt repository.

When we went tire-shopping, the Earth-1's, Michelin Energy, and Dunlop somethings were all within a 200 baht window of the original Bridgestone Potenzas. Trying to convince Ms. Bino that we needed tires that were considerably more expensive than the matching OEM ones provided on the car by Toyota... well, she wasn't having any of that. I've learned to pick my battles- and went with the "up to you" approval to choose from the window of comparable tires.

I'm sure you would be happy enough with the Earth-1's (I sure am) but if you have the budget and your driving style wants the better performers, then go for it. Push the boat out and I doubt that you will be unhappy.

I would like to see someone stretch a 14" tyre onto a 15" rim.

A Thai might just be able to do it... Anyway even for those who are Super Experts this site is worth a look www.carbibles..._bible_pg4.html absolutely full of car info.

Went to check in the daylight and sure, the treadwear indicators are there. Live and learn :lol:

post-1539-0-01693300-1314076930_thumb.jp

There are still 3-4 mm of wear in those 4 center grooves, but the sides are much less, 1 mm or less. The tires are not worn more at the sides, it's just that the grooves are not as deep as the big 4 in the center.

I guess it's time for replacement tires anyway, even though we're far from the 60k others report. Got a lump of cash locked up in my bank account for my visa extension. Hopefully I should get the visa next week, then it's time to spend it. ;)

The Yokohama tires seem on balance as an ok choice, so I guess the question is just whether to get

Yokohama Earth1 @ 3,650 in Siracha, or Yokohama A.drive R1 @4,090 in Pattaya.

Not completely decided but at this time tempted to splash the extra couple of hundreds for the R1 tires.

My tyres are in much better condition than that, although they are cracking on the edges.

The OEM spare is 175/65R14, a completely different size to the OEM main set???

The OEM spare is 175/65R14, a completely different size to the OEM main set???

Numerically, yes they are different sizes. However, the higher sidewall (65) would offset this, and the spare would be the same overall diameter as the road tires.

So is this tyre place in Sriracha or Pattaya ?

If by "this" you refer to Siracha Tire shop, that would be in Siracha. ;)

B-Quick and Cockpit are national chains with shops in Pattaya and elsewhere.

Cheers, thanks for clearing that up, Janverbeem had me confused with the following.

I guess the dealer in Sriracha the Op mentions is located only a few hundred meters past Tukcom,if you come from Pattaya, at the same side as Tuckom and yes he is the cheapest in the area as I usually do some research when I buy tires ( read I check out every dealer in a 100 Km circle around my place :D ) and I also buy my tires there.

Confused about what?You know there is a Tukcom in Sriracha don't you?If you didn't knew this yet,it's located near Sriracha Tire shop :D

Confused about what?You know there is a Tukcom in Sriracha don't you?If you didn't knew this yet,it's located near Sriracha Tire shop :D

The OP stated he is in Pattaya then you mention the Sriracha tyre shop just up from Tukom, I'll let you put two and two together.

One More to try. Tire Plus, ive used them for years, and they are there quickly when you have a punture,all free when you buy from them.See the Website, same as all the ones mentioned price wise

Spelt Tyre Plus if anyone is searching for their website.

The OP stated he is in Pattaya then you mention the Sriracha tyre shop just up from Tukom, I'll let you put two and two together.

Well Maybe it's me but which part of the word Sriracha you don't understand?

posted by pattayParent

Using the info from thaicruze I 'phoned a dealer in Sri Racha and was able to find the Michelin XM2 at 1,800 Baht a set cheaper than the B-Quick prices!

posted by Jan verbeem

I guess the dealer in Sriracha the Op mentions is located only a few hundred meters past Tukcom,if you come from Pattaya,

B-Quik should offer you a price warranty for same/comparable product, just get a quotation and should be fine.

MXV8 is old pattern still produced for some OEM but technically replaced by Primacy LC 2 years back.

Hak

• 4 months later...