Are Top Boxes On Sportsbikes Not Cool

RusticCharm

Are Top Boxes on Sportsbikes Not Cool  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As it appears a few posters got their knickers in a twist with regards to my recent comments on top boxes for sportsbikes. Let's see what people think.

And there are a lot of Ninja riders on this forum. :rolleyes:

Edited by sbk
Inflammatory topic title

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

of course a box fitted makes any kind of bike look worse ,but u most defaintely lose some cool factor if u put a box on a yamaha R1 or a hayabusa and you lose even cool factor more if u hang tesco lotus bags from the handle bars LOL

this reminds me ,i saw a couple of days ago a thai guy in front of me with a young baby/toddler balanced on the SHINY petrol tank of a new CBR 250 ...........................very busy road too ,central BKK and not a cop said a word to him along the way ................

now if i was driving without my hat .....welll................my wallet would get a bit lighter :)

kinda like it on my Dtracker

post-81971-0-50576600-1313465299_thumb.j

even took the handrails off my Ninja

post-81971-0-86093400-1313465422_thumb.j

just noticed you have a ninja and a d-tracker ,although theyre completely differnt which one of these would you recomend for city use if you had to choose only one of them ?

for city roads only im thinking ninja but TIT and theres some mighty big craters , sunken manhole covers, and roads that dont fuly connect together in my area so the upright position of the dtracker and the suspension set up might be more comfortable

also to be able to see over the tops of cars would be useful for weaving through traffic jams

I've got a top box on my fino but I do use it just for pottering about and going shopping.

It may look a bit gay i suppose but then again I'm more concerned with the traffic than people pointing and possibly laughing.

I have Givi panniers on my Versys, I didn't go for the box as well because I'm a bit of a short arse and couldn't get my leg over it properly with the box on.

I've got a top box on my fino but I do use it just for pottering about and going shopping.

It may look a bit gay i suppose but then again I'm more concerned with the traffic than people pointing and possibly laughing.

I have Givi panniers on my Versys, I didn't go for the box as well because I'm a bit of a short arse and couldn't get my leg over it properly with the box on.

So there you go ..... if you have a top box, you can't get your leg over.

End of discussion.:D

kinda like it on my Dtracker

post-81971-0-50576600-1313465299_thumb.j

even took the handrails off my Ninja

post-81971-0-86093400-1313465422_thumb.j

just noticed you have a ninja and a d-tracker ,although theyre completely differnt which one of these would you recomend for city use if you had to choose only one of them ?

for city roads only im thinking ninja but TIT and theres some mighty big craters , sunken manhole covers, and roads that dont fuly connect together in my area so the upright position of the dtracker and the suspension set up might be more comfortable

also to be able to see over the tops of cars would be useful for weaving through traffic jams

city use

suzuki step/gelatio/skydrive would be #1, short wheelbase and great auto/engine response for an auto

yammy elegance #2

pcx #3

then dtracker250 over all other manual clutch bikes, upright, long suspension, good brakes

but must be derestricted to have any power at all

See the pictures on page 1

1 shows a top-box and the other a tank-bag ......

edit --- btw --- topbox on a sportbike not gay ----- me riding a sportbike with a chihuahua in a specially designed backpack tres' gay!

Edited by jdinasia

So there you go ..... if you have a top box, you can't get your leg over.

End of discussion.:D

cheesy.gif

Tw@t lol.

Although, should I be taking offence at you questioning my sexual ability?

cheesy.gif

I don't think so!

Taken in the context it was intended.

Nice one!!

I donot care what you guys say a top box on any motorcycle is not gay. How could anyone with one of those things strapped to the back of his bike ever think he or she is cool. Might as well strap a old milk carton to the back and put some puppies in there to carry around. Like cool man I have my plastic milk carton on the back and it is full of puppies and I am doing 120 on my way to Pattaya.

No really they just donot make those thing to really fit in to the contours and flows of your motorcycle.

Well the sportbike riders I ride with on occasion, the ones that wouldn't be caught dead with an uncool top box, may not be gay, but they sure are happy when I start pulling all the goodies out of my top box: Cheddar cheese, mini air compressor, chain lube, beer, etc. It's dirty work riding with a top box, but somebody's gotta do it.

Edited by TongueThaied

Well the sportbike riders I ride with on occasion, the ones that wouldn't be caught dead with an uncool top box, may not be gay, but they sure are happy when I start pulling all the goodies out of my top box: Cheddar cheese, mini air compressor, chain lube, beer, etc. It's dirty work riding with a top box, but somebody's gotta do it.

Excellent! You're welcome on a ride out anytime. B) Because as we all know, having cheddar cheese and beer inside, reduces a top box's gayness. ;) Edited by RusticCharm

OK, back to the topic on hand since we were so rudely interrupted by the PC police..

Apart from ruining the look of the bike, I think top boxes are actually pretty dodgy when loaded - having all that weight so high on the bike, I wouldn't really want to take a corner at any speed like that. I'd also be worried about the rack failing. I managed a 6 day tour from BKK to Chiang Mai and back with a girlfriend with only an expandable tank bag. If you're desperate for luggage space then side panniers are just about acceptable IMO (but only if the bike isn't a supersport).

But a topbox? Man that is sooooooo [ahem] "uncool".

Most interesting and fun top box thread i have ever read :D

cudos to OP

No discussion on how it changes handling and braking, on how my top box cracked in 3 pieces and left the bracket on my nouvo, how practical they are for safe and waterproof storage, and how ugly they are on any bike

but white/black panniers are fine :D :D

my GF sitting next to me is asking if we could do a topic on hello kitty plate frames too :lol: :lol:

Most interesting and fun top box thread i have ever read :D

cudos to OP

No discussion on how it changes handling and braking, on how my top box cracked in 3 pieces and left the bracket on my nouvo, how practical they are for safe and waterproof storage, and how ugly they are on any bike

but white/black panniers are fine :D :D

my GF sitting next to me is asking if we could do a topic on hello kitty plate frames too :lol: :lol:

Kata... only if you start with pictures of YOUR hello kitty frame :D:D

Thread cleaned up to discuss top boxes only.

Now, can I say I had no idea thats what they are called and while I am sure they are useful they make it difficult for passengers to get off and on the bike or is there some technique I don't know about?

The only catch with a box is that it rattle when half empty. (like a passenger helmet !)

If you're having issues with aerodynamics, -that's because you havn't got the right amount of cubic to begin with. (and IMHO cubic counts more than accessories can ever achieve )

And if you're having problem with balance after adding ~5 kg, -well then you're too small.

(or just guessing, since you never tried)

On the cuteness factor of not having a box, that's bothering with the opinion of insignificant others who doesn't care anyway (lest you're hoping your cuteness factor will be a deal-breaker for a potential shag).

I did switch to the sissy bar bag a couple of weeks ago when i anyway had to take off the box, (here's a 2nd catch, my bike doesn't have provision for a rack per see, i had to modify nit noy and have found out i need to switch bolt's once a year to be safe)

but it took only a couple of trips when i had to lock my helmet rather than just throw it into the box to switch back,

and i'm dead sure anyone against a box has never had one.

Convenience is unrivaled

Thread cleaned up to discuss top boxes only.

Now, can I say I had no idea thats what they are called and while I am sure they are useful they make it difficult for passengers to get off and on the bike or is there some technique I don't know about?

it is very fifficult for passengers to get on/off when you have a top box on a sportsbike, as you as rider is unable to move forward to make room. Especially when passenger is rather short as most Thai girls are

As a practical alternative, check out the excellent Panda Rider shop's line of Kriega tail packs, tank bags and backpacks. What's surprising about this place is that the prices are very similar to what you'd pay online from vendors in the US. Which is even more surprising to anyone who has visited places like DirtShop, Fast Corner and The Paddock where huge markups are the norm.

I've lost a few helmets when left un-attended, but the thieves won't bother if it's locked or stuffed in the box, locking takes more time.

Ok, i havnt got a crotch rocket, they won't fit me, but the box doesn't make a difference on a cruiser since any passenger would still need to counter the sissy bar,

the girls has been surprisingly agile mounting it, better than myself or any mate.