Are Top Boxes On Sportsbikes Not Cool

RusticCharm

Are Top Boxes on Sportsbikes Not Cool  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Only if all bikes were built like the Suzuki Across.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Suzuki_Across

Awesome - funny how a 250cc 90's bike nicknamed 'the handbag' (I'm sure someone somewhere can take offence to that but let's try to be mature for a moment) has 40hp and a 4 cylinder engine.

Another example of how bikes have been choked in recent years to save miniscule amounts of CO2 while the big corporations continue to dump copious amounts of oil into the sea in the name of providing us with gasoline, primarily for cars that pollute way more than bikes. :whistling:

No need for a top box on that thing - loads of storage room built in.Fantastic design. Although I'd have to say it's not the prettiest bike in the world (no offense intended to "non-pretty" people BTW :jap: ).

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a practical alternative, check out the excellent Panda Rider shop's line of Kriega tail packs, tank bags and backpacks. What's surprising about this place is that the prices are very similar to what you'd pay online from vendors in the US. Which is even more surprising to anyone who has visited places like DirtShop, Fast Corner and The Paddock where huge markups are the norm.

+1 for that. I have a Kriega tail pack bought from Panda, fits the ER6-f well and is fully waterproof. The price was almost the same as the UK price and unlike the boots I bought from Paddock it didn't fall apart after 2 rides. I get all my stuff from Panda now.

I think a topbox on a sportbike is silly looking; it's like putting a ski rack on a Ferrari.

Although everyone may think you're 'tarded, should you care what others think?

If you don't have a car, Thai's think you're poor and worthless anyway.

I have a topbox on my Nouvo but I also think all scooters are "gay" so it may as well be functional.

Sometimes I put a topbox on my D-Tracker but dirtbikes can be loaded up with all sorts of junk and just look adventurous so it's OK.

Topboxes are awesome, but I don't care what people think of me anyway.

I've lost a few helmets when left un-attended, but the thieves won't bother if it's locked or stuffed in the box, locking takes more time.

Ok, i havnt got a crotch rocket, they won't fit me, but the box doesn't make a difference on a cruiser since any passenger would still need to counter the sissy bar,

the girls has been surprisingly agile mounting it, better than myself or any mate.

No sissys on my cruiser, no top box either :)

post-81971-0-88563200-1313633961_thumb.jpost-81971-0-34326600-1313634006_thumb.j

not even on my Tmax

post-81971-0-39127500-1313634097_thumb.j

and if I had a Ferrari, I wouldnt pull a trailer with it ;)

I am lucky my topbox blends in with the rest of the bike. :whistling:

post-63954-0-70065900-1313971982_thumb.jpost-63954-0-53811600-1313972030_thumb.j

What is annoying is the number of bikes and scooters I've seen with the topbox in a different colour to the bike colour. That is so wrong! :annoyed:

post-63954-0-70065900-1313971982_thumb.jpost-63954-0-53811600-1313972030_thumb.j

What is annoying is the number of bikes and scooters I've seen with the topbox in a different colour to the bike colour. That is so wrong! :annoyed:

Blends?

Erm .... the colours match, I'm not too sure it actually blends though lol.

I don't think that many people really bother too much about the colour of their top boxes to be fair, as mentioned numerous times their choice is functionality over form. I agree it's nice if you can have both together though.

I'm about to become VERY uncool. I have been shopping for a top box and most of them limit the load weight to 3 KG. That's not enough for ice, lunch and a few beers.

I purchased a 40 liter blue ice chest. My helmet fits in it fine for when I am parked and going up the mountain the helmet is on my head so the box can be full of ice and picnic supplies. The box can be locked with a simple padlock. I have located a solid strong rack that the cooler will sit on.

Function before beauty. I don't care if they think I'm delivering pizza.

unlike the boots I bought from Paddock it didn't fall apart after 2 rides.
That's interesting. All the boots I've bought over the years from Paddock have fallen apart. Many people I know who've bought boots from Paddock have had them fall apart. Dodgy boots or just the result of living in tropical and humid Thailand?

The last two expensive pairs of shoes I bought in the US fell apart without even wearing them except for the trip. The soles fell off both pairs. One pair were $160 Wolverines. Even lost the soles off a pair of Reeboks. It looked like some kind of fungus or bacteria ate the glue.

Gary

The largest bike box i've seen is for sale at the crossing od Pattaya tai & soi kopai,

a big bag of toilet paper fits closed

I don't necessarily want a huge box. I want one that can carry more the three kilograms. Even the huge ones say three kilograms maximum.

I'd guess that people don't pay any attention to the weight limit and that's why you see pieces of broken ones along the road.

The weak point is not the box, it is resting on a plate, but the bolts attaching the rack to the bike.

(or the arms of the rack, if they are long enough)

one of my boxes cracked in 3 pieces, unloaded, and left the resting plate and bracket, which is still on the bike used as a trailer hitch pulling 100Kg trailer daily

post-81971-0-25412700-1314254320_thumb.j

so the quality and load problem is in my experience the box, not the plate or brackets

The weak point is not the box, it is resting on a plate, but the bolts attaching the rack to the bike.

(or the arms of the rack, if they are long enough)

one of my boxes cracked in 3 pieces, unloaded, and left the resting plate and bracket, which is still on the bike used as a trailer hitch pulling 100Kg trailer daily

post-81971-0-25412700-1314254320_thumb.j

so the quality and load problem is in my experience the box, not the plate or brackets

BTW, with the security system you've got there, you should need to worry about locking your helmet in a top box anyhow! B)