House Insaurance

songhklasid

My thai wife & myself have a 2 bedroom brick/rendered tile roof house in sankhaenphang district of chiang-mai, previously my wife's best friend would look after yearly payment &we would re-pay her next visit, but sadly she has passed on, since we both still work in AUS, I was looking for an alternative for same cover $1.5 million (house) 250,000 for contents, also ease of payment, B-PAY or C.Card.House is 4yr old, excellent condition on a built up 500 sq metre block.

regards songhklasid.B)

I paid for a three year policy of "Safety Insurance Public Company Limited" through my insurance broker Eric Dohlon who has an office in Phuket. I did the entire transaction by phone and e-mail after Eric sent me via e-mail the details and prices of several different companies policies to consider. Each Thailand Insurance policy for a home offered slightly different policy coverage limits, but most of the companies would give a very generous discount if I paid for three years in advance. The US Dollar buys less baht today, I was able to use a Capital One Visa card which has no "foreign transaction fee" and Safety Public Company Limited did not charge any extra if I paid in Thai baht through my broker with that Visa card. I certainly had the option to pay one year at a time, to pay in a bank transfer OR use a credit card. However it was well worth the discount for paying three years in advance and if I considered the direction of the US Dollar I would have considered the five year policy discount they offered.

The broker advised me to make a list of what contents we had in the home and I used a free on line service third-drawer.com I had a good idea of what the home cost to build, minus the foundation, and exactly what the contents cost. Eric advised me that the "Electric Injury" was a crucial aspect to consider when comparing Home owner policies.

I paid a nominal sum for renters insurance (less than 2500 baht a year) when we lived three years in a rental home in Thailand. I pay more for a home owners policy with much higher coverage than the renter's policy. I can say the 500,000 for "Electric Injury" was a wise move as one small "electric surge" with a small fire at a 290 baht surge suppressor caused considerably more damage than the policy premium cost for three years. I witnessed the surge on a Sunday afternoon, phoned my insurance broker and he advised me to take photos and make a list of what was damaged. He arranged for a "Insurance Surveyor" to arrive the very next day. While Eric Dohlon is bi-lingual the insurance "Surveyor" was not. However, Eric guided me through the simple claims process, the form I signed I was able to write in English what happened and the company authorized us purchasing all new items to replace what was damaged in two days.

Once we mailed the original receipts for the items and labor and e-mailed a copy of what bank account in Thailand to deposit the insurance payment for the claim the process took two weeks. No "run around", no depreciation, no hassles, but Eric was very clear on the receipts showing model numbers of what we bought and the tax identification number of the vendor. Frankly I hope we never have to make another claim, but I sure have little control over the voltage of electricity in our home, even with all sorts of "proper" electric supply items.

It was interesting to note which surge suppressors survived, which UPS battery backups survived and protected electrical items and which surge suppressors and battery backups failed. The insurance company allowed us to replace poorly performing items with more expensive surge suppressors that

proved they protected electrical items.

The policy was in plain English so I knew what was covered and what would be excluded. It is worth checking with a broker such as Thai Visa or Eric Dohlon for renter's insurance or home owners insurance as while our "brick house with cement roof tiles" might not be in grave fire danger, the damage due to poor electricity from the PEA is real in my personal experience.

Eric had stated that "Safety Insurance" would pay a legitimate claim without a run around and he was correct in my recent experience. I've attached a photo of some of the less expensive items destroyed due to a voltage surge.

post-20604-0-02568700-1313586797_thumb.j

I paid for a three year policy of "Safety Insurance Public Company Limited" through my insurance broker Eric Dohlon who has an office in Phuket. I did the entire transaction by phone and e-mail after Eric sent me via e-mail the details and prices of several different companies policies to consider. Each Thailand Insurance policy for a home offered slightly different policy coverage limits, but most of the companies would give a very generous discount if I paid for three years in advance. The US Dollar buys less baht today, I was able to use a Capital One Visa card which has no "foreign transaction fee" and Safety Public Company Limited did not charge any extra if I paid in Thai baht through my broker with that Visa card. I certainly had the option to pay one year at a time, to pay in a bank transfer OR use a credit card. However it was well worth the discount for paying three years in advance and if I considered the direction of the US Dollar I would have considered the five year policy discount they offered.

The broker advised me to make a list of what contents we had in the home and I used a free on line service third-drawer.com I had a good idea of what the home cost to build, minus the foundation, and exactly what the contents cost. Eric advised me that the "Electric Injury" was a crucial aspect to consider when comparing Home owner policies.

I paid a nominal sum for renters insurance (less than 2500 baht a year) when we lived three years in a rental home in Thailand. I pay more for a home owners policy with much higher coverage than the renter's policy. I can say the 500,000 for "Electric Injury" was a wise move as one small "electric surge" with a small fire at a 290 baht surge suppressor caused considerably more damage than the policy premium cost for three years. I witnessed the surge on a Sunday afternoon, phoned my insurance broker and he advised me to take photos and make a list of what was damaged. He arranged for a "Insurance Surveyor" to arrive the very next day. While Eric Dohlon is bi-lingual the insurance "Surveyor" was not. However, Eric guided me through the simple claims process, the form I signed I was able to write in English what happened and the company authorized us purchasing all new items to replace what was damaged in two days.

Once we mailed the original receipts for the items and labor and e-mailed a copy of what bank account in Thailand to deposit the insurance payment for the claim the process took two weeks. No "run around", no depreciation, no hassles, but Eric was very clear on the receipts showing model numbers of what we bought and the tax identification number of the vendor. Frankly I hope we never have to make another claim, but I sure have little control over the voltage of electricity in our home, even with all sorts of "proper" electric supply items.

It was interesting to note which surge suppressors survived, which UPS battery backups survived and protected electrical items and which surge suppressors and battery backups failed. The insurance company allowed us to replace poorly performing items with more expensive surge suppressors that

proved they protected electrical items.

The policy was in plain English so I knew what was covered and what would be excluded. It is worth checking with a broker such as Thai Visa or Eric Dohlon for renter's insurance or home owners insurance as while our "brick house with cement roof tiles" might not be in grave fire danger, the damage due to poor electricity from the PEA is real in my personal experience.

Eric had stated that "Safety Insurance" would pay a legitimate claim without a run around and he was correct in my recent experience. I've attached a photo of some of the less expensive items destroyed due to a voltage surge.

And how much was a 3 yr policy, both my quotes are around 3500 baht for 1 year.

regards songhklasid.

The three year premium I paid was more than 10,500 baht, however the house is insured for eight million baht plus a series of extra cover since we have a swimming pool. The discount offered for paying three years in advance for the premium was a significant savings. A licensed BROKER can offer you several plans with various limits that satisfy your needs and that broker should make you aware of discount options. Just as important the broker should be able to inform you from his / her experience which companies actually pay in the event of a legitimate claim and which companies have fallen down on that aspect. I can state from personal experience how prompt the service was from Eric Dohlon of E & I Insurance Broker and how professional Safety Insurance Public Company treated my one and only home owner claim.

• 2 weeks later...

Very straightforward - why not use the Thai Visa insurance services :)

For details and an on-line quote please go HERE - there is also an office in Chang Mai which can help directly should there be problems.

http://insurance.thaivisa.com/quote-form/

is disabeled,

the link is transferred to

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/121-insurance-in-thailand/

no more Thai Visa insurance services ?

For details and an on-line quote please go HERE - there is also an office in Chang Mai which can help directly should there be problems.

http://insurance.thaivisa.com/quote-form/

is disabeled,

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/121-insurance-in-thailand/

Indeed

http://insurance.tha...com/quote-form/

is disabeled,

http://www.thaivisa....ce-in-thailand/

The Brokers that Thai Visa were using are obviously still here and looking after all the Thai Visa mambers.

Please go HERE for on-line information and quotes as before