Money Pours In For Rescued Dogs :

Lite Beer

Most people are great talkers and even better in finding excuses. That doesn't, however, change anything. Someone should, someone must... okay, as long this someone isn't myself.

Actually, isn't that what distinguishes the humans from other species? The talking but else...? :whistling:

Edited by Richard Hall

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am all for caring about all life but I think things need to be put in perspective and people should not obsess about animals as a way to avoid thinking about the millions of people in this world being abused and starving on large scales.

StarvingBiafranChildren.jpg

I don't want to sound callous, but sterilization would help there as well.

No. You may be branded, but you are a realist and a few years ahead of the times.

You can't write this stuff. Feral curs being given treatment better off reserved for human beings. It stuns the imagination!

Perhaps a photo of an 18 wheel flat bed truck loaded down with a huge pile of 2000 rotting baby corpses would have stirred as much donations and judicial consideration for orphanages?

Sympathy for feral curs that breed in an out of control way? Call me what you want, but I'll see any one of these dangerous creatures dead before I let them thrive in the community where my young son will be growing up and playing. I am describing the community where I live, and the vicious curs who attack innocent citizens as they drive through the pack that is barricading the roadway.

Nobody gives a dam_n about how these creatures are conceived, and the disgusting manner in which they "knot up" on the middle of sois and in public places; but every bleeding heart idealist jumps on the bandwagon after they are brought into the world in litters of 8, 9 or 10 puppies, and the bleeding heart idealists try to make a Baht off of the campaign by playing the "guilt and sympathy" card. You are either trying to convince and persuade me I am damaged because I should care about creatures that, to all intents and purposes, should not ever come into being; or you are simply the most naive and ignorant people I have ever read? Responsibility begins before there is a problem, hence no problem. The problem is the dogs, which in many cases are representative of the rats that brought about the Black Plague.

Yeah; just because they breed and create filth and disease and harm to innocent human beings already struggling to survive... that must mean that we are compelled by something distorted to play god and "save" them. Just because!

This is about the degeneration into weak-mindedness of human kind, and how this kind of thinking and compromise has replaced an evolving, practical approach to health, well-being and compassion for humans, and not animals that are over breeding themselves uncontrollably.

Save the dogs! Sheesh! We're not talking Old Yeller, Rin tin tin or Lassie here.

I wonder how many Thai mothers' who left their child to die in a rubbish bin, are donating to this just cause?

Hey, let's save the rats! Rats are more intelligent, more industrious, and they keep out of sight. You can even eat them, and they make great pets. What? Rats are disgusting? Get the point? Why do we sell rat poison, but not dog poison? Because people are confused and twisted about priorities.

To the branders: just don't bring a feral dog to my soi and turn it loose and have it threaten or harm my family, because you will be branded after the dog is dealt with. If I am so wrong, then why does one phone call bring around the green City Hall truck and these unclaimed curs get carted off?

If teenagers behaved the way these curs do, there would be a public outcry: urinating and defecating all over, having every kind of skin and intestinal disease possible, breeding out of control, carrying disease to anyone who comes in close contact with them on a regular basis, partying and fighting all night and anywhere, attacking innocent people without provocation, and on and on. The amount of patience and compassion for such worthless creatures astounds me. They should have never been bred had "caring humans" began controlling the population.

That's my rant for the day and I truly, truly care less what the "branders" think. Keep your rotting, feral creatures away from me! My "nice" ends with this subject!

@ cup-o-coffee:

Thank you for your "brilliant" rant of the day, I am asking myself why all the people in this forum, talking the way you do, just don't make a simple step by leaving this country to move back home to 'civilisation' and to provide their families and kids with a safe living enviroment where such 'dangerous creatures' do not disturb your daily life and where you will not see such 'worthless creatures' straying the streets and harm the lifes of innocent human beings who themself struggle to make a living.

What a bullshit... If any of the soi dogs are dangerous, then this is caused by man and the bad treatment these UNWANTED dogs were given... no dog by nature is dangerous nor would attack humans without a reason!

On your very first visits to Thailand have you been blind-folded? YOU have chosen to live here...

Again, a very, very brilliant rant!

I am asking myself why all the people in this forum, talking the way you do, just don't make a simple step by leaving this country to move back home to 'civilisation' and to provide their families and kids with a safe living enviroment where such 'dangerous creatures' do not disturb your daily life and where you will not see such 'worthless creatures' straying the streets and harm the lifes of innocent human beings who themself struggle to make a living.

Keep asking away! Your suggestion to move away is noted and declined!

What a bullshit... If any of the soi dogs are dangerous, then this is caused by man and the bad treatment these UNWANTED dogs were given... no dog by nature is dangerous nor would attack humans without a reason!

Glad to read you blame innocent MEN for dogs being feral.

Glad to read that any reason a dog does anything it does is because people are bad

Sad to read you do not understand the reasons and values behind the word UNWANTED; and the behaviors and measures underwent to arrive at that belief!

Sad to read you are deluded into believing no dog by nature is dangerous. A wolf in the Yukon ripping out your throat is, after all, misunderstood and only hungry. Government laws that allow culling of overpopulation of wild (feral) predators must be inhuman laws.

Sad to read that you justify these untended, untrained, unwanted, feral, foul, stinking curs only attack humans when they have a reason; but then you do not go on to describe any reasons; hence implying that you believe any reason is justifiable.

Glad to read that the Livestock Development Department has submitted a bill aimed at imposing harsher punishment on owners who fail to give their pets a proper care. (Maybe they all should go home; the cold-hearted ba$tards!)

Glad to read that the President of Nakhon Phanom Chamber of Commerce commented that there should be a law allowing legal elimination of stray dogs to ensure public safety. (Maybe he should go home as well?)

On your very first visits to Thailand have you been blind-folded?

Had I been blind-folded? Nope! But the customs agent grunted when I said hello!

YOU have chosen to live here...

And your point?

Again, a very, very brilliant rant!

Yes! I believe it is so!

Why not give me your address. I be by in a day or two with a few truckloads of curs and drop them off in your yard. I mean, after all; you WANT them don't you? Or are you a hypocrite and you only want some, and the rest are UNWANTED? And then why is that?

Most people are great talkers and even better in finding excuses. That doesn't, however, change anything. Someone should, someone must... okay, as long this someone isn't myself.

Actually, isn't that what distinguishes the humans from other species? The talking but else...? :whistling:

If talking is worthless then why are you going on? Shouldn't you be keeping quiet while doing what you preach? Or, is talk only cheap when it comes from others?

But to be clear, I have no issue with you expressing thoughts and ideas but just find these particular comments highly contradictory.

I am all for caring about all life but I think things need to be put in perspective and people should not obsess about animals as a way to avoid thinking about the millions of people in this world being abused and starving on large scales.

I don't think you are being callous .. sounds like you actually want to see things change. Although I don't believe in forced sterilization for humans, I certainly would not mind seeing anything wrong with gifts (food) being given for those who take a shot everything 3 or 6-months to prevent pregnancy.

Edited by Nisa

Well , you're obviously a bigger talker (499 posts) than me I'll give you that, but that, and being a doglover, doesn't make you any more human, or humane, than me!

Well , you're obviously a bigger talker (499 posts) than me I'll give you that, but that, and being a doglover, doesn't make you any more human, or humane, than me!

Well, 499 posts since 28.08.2003 in comparison to 5 posts since 18.08.2011. It is indeed easy to miss the point, isn't it?

No, I do not consider myself humane at all in the common sense of humane. Indicated already that I am actually not a real fan of the human species and I have undoubtedly my reasons for this. Usually, I like animals better than people.

Concentration please. :rolleyes:

Edited by Richard Hall

If talking is worthless then why are you going on? Shouldn't you be keeping quiet while doing what you preach? Or, is talk only cheap when it comes from others? But to be clear, I have no issue with you expressing thoughts and ideas but just find these particular comments highly contradictory.

To answer your questions:

1. To learn from my fellow people and develop myself on this base. I am what I am today mainly due to my fellow people and my environment. You see the point? I am not trying to change anything except myself. That's quite a difference, isn't it? Your feedback is just a tool in this activity. Yes, you could claim that I am just using you and other people under these circumstances and would be right on spot with it.

2. I take care of the animals in our area EVERY day. Day in, day out. Independent from the circumstances. Neither the weather, illness nor the curfew could stop me. You see, I put my actions where my words are. And now, you. What's your active part in society? No need to be shy. Doing good deeds is no bragging. JUST words are bragging and not just that but useless. Except certainly for my own assumptions and development as already indicated. Hence, be proud to have contributed to form a bugger like me.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Richard Hall

Agreed. Look at the ages of those children. And for how many years have we seen these same photographs? Their parents at least have the choice to wear a condom (unlike animals) or have themselves sterilized, unlike animals. But they choose not to as it is deemed (1) unmanly and (2) their women are fearful they will be abandoned for a new model if they don't comply with having more and more children, when it's clear to a one eyed horse that they cannot afford to feed the kids they already have.

An experiment was carried out in an African country, the name of which escapes me, some 20 years ago whereby the women agreed to be sterilized after two children and they were then put through university. Of course their standard of living shot up immensely. What happened to that then? Reverted to same thinking that if a man has sex with a virgin, rapes a child, he won't contract/it will cure AIDS? Hasn't appeared to catch on, has it.

Too many bloody kids. And that goes for the very nice and thoughtful young man featured in The Guardian, saying that the recent riots were a result of poverty and, mostly, boredom. The UK government having withdrawn funding for Youth Clubs (much like the teenage pregnancy boom when the bloodthirsty bitch Thatcher withdrew funding for Family Planning Clinics. But I digress. The fact that this young guy had TWELVE half brothers and sisters was but a brief mention! TWELVE! In this day and age in a 'developed' country.

Stop trotting out these same images year after year and stop to ask yourself, why? 'Sir' Bloody Bob.

Absolutely! Dogs are a curse in Thailand

<snip>

Totally agree :thumbsup:

@TinaKohChang - get married, have some kids. Might take your mind off dogs.

@JetsetBkk: another bullshit comment, how would you know I do not have a realtionship or kids?!

Even if this would be the case, do you really imply me to be a so called dog mom? Taking and handling dogs like kids?

Gosh, what a bulk of hyper intelligence in here :rolleyes:

Just 2 days away from the computer and so many new comments to have a great laugh about. Thanks all :lol: !

Edited by TinaKohChang

Friends of mine just adopted a dog three days ago which I met yesterday night. Namtaan appears to be well adjusted to her new home already and gets visited by two soi dogs Harald and Aphinya also look after:

http://www.scadbangkok.org/adoption/nam-taan-dp1.php

Look for a friend that you want to give a good home? Those SCAD people will surely appreciate to assist. :rolleyes:

Edited by Richard Hall

Very unsubtle attempt at a flame deleted, and responses to that flame. Continue with the nastiness and I will suspend you. Two weeks ought to give you some time to learn some manners?

Very unsubtle attempt at a flame deleted, and responses to that flame. Continue with the nastiness and I will suspend you. Two weeks ought to give you some time to learn some manners?

@SBK: Thank you very much and yes, I do hope that they learn the lesson!

Edited by TinaKohChang

I am very happy to read that besides, in the Philippines, where the dog meat trading is already assigned a crime with high fines per dog and 1 to 4 years imprisonment, also Korea follows slowly and that the yearly dog meat festival was canceled!!!! One can see, that protests and signed petitions do work wonders:

Source: DogCentral.info KOREAN DOD MEAT FESTIVAL CANCELLED

If you were planning on attending this year’s “dog meat festival” in Seongnam, Korea, you’re out of luck, the event has been officially cancelled, and for very good reason too we think. Read on to find out why….

Korean activists have put a stop to the dog meat industry’s first attempt at a promotional festival in Korea’s Gyeonggi province. Dog meat producers were hoping to normalize the sale of dog meat by giving out free samples and trying to present the industry as being similar to that of cattle or pig farming. For every similarity, there is a major difference though, the biggest being that dog meat is technically illegal in Korea.

A young girl in the picture attached displays a sign reading “Don’t eat my friend, please,” as part of a protest against eating dog meat.

Dog meat production is technically illegal and for very good reason we think, but ‘livestock’ production is protected. Dog meat producers are avoiding prosecution by presenting themselves as livestock producers rather than sadistic dog catchers and that is what the festival was all about. The dog meat industry hoped to give the impression that dogs are born, bred, and slaughtered in special facilities like pigs, chickens, and cows when in actuality, many of the dogs used for meat are strays picked up off the street.

Activists used a variety of tactics to get the event cancelled. They gathered signatures, they petitioned the city, and in the end, threatened its organizers that they were “prepared to break the law” if it was required to kill the festival. It worked.

Most people agree that holding a dog meat festival is completely outrageous. Dogs have been bred for centuries to be loving, emotional, and responsive to humans which makes their abuse and torment that much worse.

Let’s all agree right now, as citizens of the same earth, more dog treats less dog meats. Please share this story with your friends and make others aware of this very abnormal trade by using the ‘share’ buttons below.

Edited by TinaKohChang

:bah: how bitter can a cup-o-coffee get?

Answer: Any way you view it. Up to you! I am a bit relieved to see that you are beginning to sense that the world is not the fluffy place your posts describe. I alarm the Dr. Doolittles out there! Good! It is, in fact, a bitter world we live in; and curs have no right to be of consideration when it comes to relieving the bitterness that comes with the issues of safety and good health for human beings. The issues surrounding beasts should never supersede the issues of human beings when the resources, energy and manpower are limited to one or the other. It truly truly sickens me that people take the technology to beasts and walk right past humans who are in need. I suspect you acknowledge that, and in so doing, incriminate yourselves against my views.

You didn't expect everyone to agree with you, and fall over themselves to praise these disgusting creatures, did you? The sad thing is how far people with your views go in order to uphold your beliefs. You go so far in the banter that you do not realize that your logic begins to get skewed and does not make any sense. Justifying the defense of beasts to the extent that you single out human beings as the problem is the sad thing. Truly. When the room gets crowded, you are saying it is time to cull the humans and save the beasts. I'll never give up my seat to an animal; nor my family's seat in the right to survive; to live safe; to have good health.

I do not go out hunting for these curs. The ones I describe come to me; aggressively, threateningly, and with intent. Otherwise, I could give a hoot, and don't even give them notice.

So, let the money pour in. Perhaps it will help to ease the guilt and regret that these philanthropists have in their lives; that's acceptable, but just as long as the object of their compassion does not get released back into society, to increase the numbers of some roving pack of feral curs that dominate a soi like a gang of Patong Tuk Tuk drivers.

That's when life gets bitter and your investment goes sour. I guarantee it!

<snip>

@JetsetBkk: another bullshit comment, how would you know I do not have a realtionship or kids?!

Even if this would be the case, do you really imply me to be a so called dog mom? Taking and handling dogs like kids?

Just 2 days away from the computer and so many new comments to have a great laugh about. Thanks all :lol: !

OK, sarcastic comment didn't go down well. :D

I have no idea what a "dog mum" is, but you surely must realise that a lot of people who have dogs and cats do so as a substitute for children - older people whose kids have left home, younger people who haven't any kids.

I actually feed several dogs that I pass on my exercises up Toe-Sae mountain in Phuket. They are mostly wild dogs and very very timid. At least, they are until they remember you have a couple of bags of dog food in your pockets.

Some of the dogs at the top of the mountain even have names and follow me to the top for their food. The one-eyed dog is called "Bod" which means "Blind", the one that likes to eat duck is called "Ped". The mountain is a very popular place for people to dump their unwanted dogs. Fortunately there is a lot of space up there for them to live and the Soi Dog Foundation take food up there every day.

So I'm not a dog-hater, but I'd be quite happy if any stray dogs in my estate were rounded up and culled because they simply shouldn't be there. They are a nuisance fouling the streets and barking all night. I wonder how many Thai kids go blind because of Toxocariasis from the dog poo all over the place.

<snip>

OK, sarcastic comment didn't go down well. :D

I have no idea what a "dog mum" is, but you surely must realise that a lot of people who have dogs and cats do so as a substitute for children - older people whose kids have left home, younger people who haven't any kids.

I actually feed several dogs that I pass on my exercises up Toe-Sae mountain in Phuket. They are mostly wild dogs and very very timid. At least, they are until they remember you have a couple of bags of dog food in your pockets.

Some of the dogs at the top of the mountain even have names and follow me to the top for their food. The one-eyed dog is called "Bod" which means "Blind", the one that likes to eat duck is called "Ped". The mountain is a very popular place for people to dump their unwanted dogs. Fortunately there is a lot of space up there for them to live and the Soi Dog Foundation take food up there every day.

So I'm not a dog-hater, but I'd be quite happy if any stray dogs in my estate were rounded up and culled because they simply shouldn't be there. They are a nuisance fouling the streets and barking all night. I wonder how many Thai kids go blind because of Toxocariasis from the dog poo all over the place.

@Jetset Bkk:

Wonders never cease, I am positively surprised to read your non aggressive and peacable post! Great to hear that you feed some of the dogs oer there and even know some of them by name ;-). What I mean is that I am not humanising dogs but take them for that they are, dogs. I have been frowing with animals of may kinds all of my life, I just respect them and especially whne it comes to cats, dogs, horses, reptiles, I understand their nature, behaviour and psychology and know how to take and treat them... I do help humans in need, same as I do so with animals and I do have a huge respect for all the voluntary working people at the animal foundations who also do their best to atleast curtail the existing problem with overpopulation and all knd of (also dangerous) diseases such as with vaccinations, medications, neutering etc...Dogs are man's best friend for many hundred of years, they are intelligent but they do not have a own voice to cry out if in pain and they of course can not control their population ( even lots of humans still can' t ) and of course need our help if it comes to 'birthcontrol', healthiness etc. Back to the point of the discussion which still was all the time and is, the horrible dogmeat trade and how this is been done, nothing, and I mean NOTHING justifies the sadistic and torturous treatment these 'unwanted' or stolen danimals have to go through! Caught for the dinnerplates of some very dubious 'gourmets', skinned and boiled alive if they make it through the horrendous treatment when traded/transported. That's being said, thanks again for that post and have a good day! B)

Im in America but i saw an ad on tv where people get the stray dogs from Thailand shipped to america to be pets. Seems a bit expensive for such a thing.

Everything is relative and the mentioned procedure is certainly not too blame that the buck has weakened so much. There are for sure much worse cases for wasting money in the name of humanity aeh,... whatever.

So, no harm done. :rolleyes:

Rescued dogs dying of hunger

September 2, 2011

Of the 2,000 or so dogs rescued from being smuggled to dinner tables in Vietnam, only 863 are alive, because up to 10 succumb to illness every day as many refuse to eat commercial dog food, veterinarian Jakraporn Suwattanachao said yesterday. The dogs are being quarantined at an animal shelter in Nakhon Phanom.

. . . . donations hit Bt20.7 million yesterday, but so far only Bt 611,270 has been spent on cleaning cages, building new ones, providing food and medical supplies.

more

and the remaining 20 million baht?

"Keep the change . . . "

Edited by Atmos

Nakhon Phanom dogs have a new lease of life

NAKHON PHANOM, 4 September 2011 (NNT)- The dogs rescued in Nakhon Phanom while being transported to a neighboring country are under proper care now that donation money has poured in.

A Nakhon Phanom’s Livestock Development official said about 20 million THB had been donated for the dog-helping operation. However, only 863 dogs from nearly 2,000 dogs are still alive. Most of them died from injuries and hunger. Fifty dogs are in a critical condition.

The donation money will be spent on building new enclosures, ventilation systems, food and medication.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-09-04 footer_n.gif

^ I suppose this is 'good' ?

The dogs live out their natural lives in caged conditions, fed and cared for.

and I suspect soon to be forgotten . . . and the surplus money will go where?

Does nothing towards addressing the issue of dog trading.

Nakhon Phanom dogs have a new lease of life

NAKHON PHANOM, 4 September 2011 (NNT)- The dogs rescued in Nakhon Phanom while being transported to a neighboring country are under proper care now that donation money has poured in.

A Nakhon Phanom’s Livestock Development official said about 20 million THB had been donated for the dog-helping operation. However, only 863 dogs from nearly 2,000 dogs are still alive. Most of them died from injuries and hunger. Fifty dogs are in a critical condition.

The donation money will be spent on building new enclosures, ventilation systems, food and medication.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-09-04 footer_n.gif

That is a shocking number, so 1137 dogs have died from the results of bad treatment the 'traders' have given to them and 50! are still in a critical condition, how sad is that? What is going to happen with the dogs being saved?

one dog caretaker noted that many rescued dogs refused to eat commercial dog food purchased, thus they died. I do not know what type of dog chow they purchased but with the monies collected they could have had a buffet for the dogs to chose from. Seldom see a soi dog that will not wolf down anything from plain rice to snakes after they killed them. Dry food may not be their favorite but a can of sardines in tomato sauce seems to get their tails wagging and the choppers working.

I think the survivors have been shipped to a vet clinic, hope they are better able to handle the physical needs. "What will happen to them?" They will probably continue to die off or some bleeding heart will release them to bring themselves good luck. The objective right now is most probably centered on spending that vast sum for some proposed good purpose.

one dog caretaker noted that many rescued dogs refused to eat commercial dog food purchased, thus they died. I do not know what type of dog chow they purchased but with the monies collected they could have had a buffet for the dogs to chose from. Seldom see a soi dog that will not wolf down anything from plain rice to snakes after they killed them. Dry food may not be their favorite but a can of sardines in tomato sauce seems to get their tails wagging and the choppers working.

I think the survivors have been shipped to a vet clinic, hope they are better able to handle the physical needs. "What will happen to them?" They will probably continue to die off or some bleeding heart will release them to bring themselves good luck. The objective right now is most probably centered on spending that vast sum for some proposed good purpose.

I buy the absolute cheapest food I can get for the wild dogs that I feed when I exercise up the mountain near where I live. Sometimes they are not so hungry and turn their nose up at it, but I know it'll keep them alive for a little longer when they get hungry.

The ladies from the Soi Dog Foundation also bring them rice, vegetables and meat to eat. That doesn't stay long by the side of the road.

As for these hundreds of dogs and 20 million baht... the solution is simple. It costs less than 200 baht, I believe, for an injection to euthanise a dog. That's where the money should go. No one wants them, there are plenty more dogs everywhere for people who are looking for a dog. Here is the perfect opportunity to cull a huge number of unwanted animals who will otherwise live a miserable, wasted life locked up in a cage.