Wedding Day Costs

AussieTrent

Total Wedding costs: Approximately 1 MB including wines, whiskey, (I managed to forget beer !!), wedding dress, suits, hotel Ball Room and cocktail catering, pre-evening-do smaller function room for the engagement ceremony, flowers, wedding cake, photo backdrop, photographers, presentation, band. We managed to negotiate an extension for free and paid the overtime for all the waiting staff.

We were lucky and had many people assist us for free: i.e. Master of ceremony, wedding planner, DJ, makeup artists and hair dressers for Wife and immediate family.

Envelope monies totaled approximately 880,000B - some gave nothing, some people gave enough, some big-wigs gave a lot (MIL noted down who paid what, we now have a copy of that list - I assume a similar amount is then paid at the weddings of their friends children by them, or for our friends by us)

We also received plenty of gifts.

Before the ceremony I figured the envelope money may be fairly substantial and was a little worried about security. My Brother in law took care of that (but really, if a criminal wants to make a lump of cash - rob a large wedding at about 9pm as everyone has moved into the ballroom !)

One thing I insisted on was no early morning events and Sin-sod was to be handled discretely and not in a showy way (it was returned).

It was a big event, perhaps too lavish for my tastes, nonetheless I had a great day. My Wife, her family and my family were ecstatic, and I was too when I saw the pride in my FIL's eyes.

If you are in a mutually respectful relationship - It shouldn't cost the earth and its money well spent as you are laying a foundation for a respectful and healthy future.

One thing I learnt was not to over compromise which also plants a seed of how well we will be valued and respected in the future.

In the end, I really felt it was more a day for the Wife's Parents. And why not?, they've spent the time and effort to bring up a daughter I wanted to marry. The wife and I have the rest of our lives together which started with our honeymoon....

The real wedding took place with just two of us signing documents at an amphur office a few weeks later. And the real headache started for my wife who had to (chose to) change names on her passport, ID, credit cards, frequent flyer cards, company documents, driving license, car papers, car insurance, medical insurance... the list seemed endless and now she's stuck with me because its too much effort to change it all back !

How sad how much money youve got dictates the choice of friends/acquaintences.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Total Wedding costs: Approximately 1 MB including wines, whiskey, (I managed to forget beer !!), wedding dress, suits, hotel Ball Room and cocktail catering, pre-evening-do smaller function room for the engagement ceremony, flowers, wedding cake, photo backdrop, photographers, presentation, band. We managed to negotiate an extension for free and paid the overtime for all the waiting staff.

We were lucky and had many people assist us for free: i.e. Master of ceremony, wedding planner, DJ, makeup artists and hair dressers for Wife and immediate family.

Envelope monies totaled approximately 880,000B - some gave nothing, some people gave enough, some big-wigs gave a lot (MIL noted down who paid what, we now have a copy of that list - I assume a similar amount is then paid at the weddings of their friends children by them, or for our friends by us)

Before the ceremony I figured the envelope money may be fairly substantial and was a little worried about security. My Brother in law took care of that (but really, if a criminal wants to make a lump of cash - rob a large wedding at about 9pm as everyone has moved into the ballroom !)

One thing I insisted on was no early morning events and Sin-sod was to be handled discretely and not in a showy way (it was returned).

It was a big event, perhaps too lavish for my tastes, nonetheless I had a great day. My Wife, her family and my family were ecstatic, and I was too when I saw the pride in my FIL's eyes.

If you are in a mutually respectful relationship - It shouldn't cost the earth and its money well spent as you are laying a foundation for a respectful and healthy future.

One thing I learnt was not to over compromise which also plants a seed of how well we will be valued and respected in the future.

In the end, I really felt it was more a day for the Wife's Parents. And why not?, they've spent the time and effort to bring up a daughter I wanted to marry. The wife and I have the rest of our lives together which started with our honeymoon....

The real wedding took place with just two of us signing documents at an amphur office a few weeks later. And the real headache started for my wife who had to (chose to) change names on her passport, ID, credit cards, frequent flyer cards, company documents, driving license, car papers, car insurance, medical insurance... the list seemed endless and now she's stuck with me because its too much effort to change it all back !

True.

But you have to admire the bookkeeping.

Sorry mate, I gotta disagree with your comment. Before I type anything, I take a peep at your profile, and I do agree with you, you don't need any F@ c % ing friends, apparently, I doubt you have friends. Sorry to be straight forward.

Actually, it's up to individuals regarding how much to spent for a wedding!!!! Actually 1200 Baht can consider quite tough on you, it's either you don't have the ability to give your wife a banquet or you are a miser.

Sorry if I offended. Marrying a Thai lady is to set up a family, they have their friends and relatives too. Throwing a party at their hometown make them happy. Anyway she's gonna be your wife.

If not, I rather "rent" a wife!!!!! We are not nuts mate, we are all very passionate!!! We really love our wife. My 2 cents worth!!!

Doubt I spent more than 1200 baht om my wedding anything else is a waste of money, your all nuts!!

What you should do is say you'll have a big party when youv'e been married 20 years.

Sorry mate, I gotta disagree with your comment. Before I type anything, I take a peep at your profile, and I do agree with you, you don't need any F@ c % ing friends, apparently, I doubt you have friends. Sorry to be straight forward.

Actually, it's up to individuals regarding how much to spent for a wedding!!!! Actually 1200 Baht can consider quite tough on you, it's either you don't have the ability to give your wife a banquet or you are a miser.

Sorry if I offended. Marrying a Thai lady is to set up a family, they have their friends and relatives too. Throwing a party at their hometown make them happy. Anyway she's gonna be your wife.

If not, I rather "rent" a wife!!!!! We are not nuts mate, we are all very passionate!!! We really love our wife. My 2 cents worth!!!

Doubt I spent more than 1200 baht om my wedding anything else is a waste of money, your all nuts!!

What you should do is say you'll have a big party when youv'e been married 20 years.

I consider sinsod and a big wedding as buying a wife. But that is my opinion. I accept that others are different.

I don't understand why our culture has to loose out. And the Thai one has to win.

Just to add where i come from big weddings are not the norm. That said there are of course people who do it. But its a personal choice. Being forced by your wife's family to show off is not.

But if where you come from its the norm and you like it by all means do so. In the other post i just gave my opinion.

Many times farang meets bar girl half his age. Bar girl wants big wedding to show off. Farang knows only his money keeps the girl here so he agrees. Worries that showing some strength will put her off and look for an other victim.

No not all big weddings are with bar girl (before i get 1000 members saying they had a big wedding but not a bar girl).

But its all for show, if you have to prove with such a show your worthy IMHO something is wrong.

I rather spend my money on other important stuff instead of a show. Too bad that MIL wants it i call the shots. If you start giving in from the start we all know know where it can end.

For my wedding my wife and I went to one of those bridal gown shops on the pretext of buying her a dress. As she tried one on I stood next to her in a Thai silk suit as my friend discreetly took photos through through the window of the shop.

The reception was held outside an S&P in a local mall where they often have a small display of complimentary grilled sausages for the customers to try. Luckily the shop was next to a water fountain for beverages.

For sinsod I gave my in laws a big bag of Monopoly money and informed them that it was legal tender in the UK and they should keep it under the bed and not try to exchange it as the exchange rate was crap.

Cost of wedding? 0.

For my wedding my wife and I went to one of those bridal gown shops on the pretext of buying her a dress. As she tried one on I stood next to her in a Thai silk suit as my friend discreetly took photos through through the window of the shop.

The reception was held outside an S&P in a local mall where they often have a small display of complimentary grilled sausages for the customers to try. Luckily the shop was next to a water fountain for beverages.

For sinsod I gave my in laws a big bag of Monopoly money and informed them that it was legal tender in the UK and they should keep it under the bed and not try to exchange it as the exchange rate was crap.

Cost of wedding? 0.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Paying all this out and how many are truly married in the eyes of Thai law or international law ?

Mine all done at the government building for under 1000 bt for the paperwork and translation.

I will have a party for 400 per person at a near by resort includes all

Unfortunately there isn't much real meaning to a big party for the lady only that it is a '' show '' thing for the village. They will come, sit, eat and go home, usually after 2 hours with their doggy bags of grub and a bottle of 100 pipers inside the jacket. :lol:

Not to many moons ago,,It used to be a bottle of Sang Som under there jacket...rolleyes.gif

Yep, and few moons before that it was Sang Thip, I believe. Was not bad stuff after you had a few:)

It would appear that the spirit of romance and adventure is not completely dead. OP it's only money, spend what you can afford, after all, if you are lucky it's a once in a life time deal. I have no idea what my Buddha blessing cost, the wife was in charge and spent what she thought we could afford. In my case it was a life changing experience, big time.

The wedding is on my you tube channel james collister and you can read my blog at http://jamescollister.blogspot.com/

I sometimes think that most westerners life's ambition is to be the richest man in the graveyard. Jim

It would appear that the spirit of romance and adventure is not completely dead. OP it's only money, spend what you can afford, after all, if you are lucky it's a once in a life time deal. I have no idea what my Buddha blessing cost, the wife was in charge and spent what she thought we could afford. In my case it was a life changing experience, big time.

The wedding is on my you tube channel james collister and you can read my blog at http://jamescollister.blogspot.com/

I sometimes think that most westerners life's ambition is to be the richest man in the graveyard. Jim

I think it depends where you come from. Some countries regions like expensive weddings. Others spend it on other things. But many foreigners spend a lot out of insecurity and the willingness to impress the locals.

Things is i have nothing to prove and know im a good catch without trying to bribe the locals. On the other hand if you have something to prove because of different social class or age difference or you were just an idiot in your home country and trying to reinvent yourself here. Things like that can influence your decision.

I am brought up differently i don't see why i have to impress anyone with outward show of money. But if you are brought up different, then its your good right just as its my good right to don't.

For me marriage is nothing but formalizing something. The commitment comes from yourself not a piece of paper. Impressing the locals, i see no need for that as im not insecure.

Sure if i had tons of money to blow id do it. But as i am well off and not rich i can only spend my money once. Spending the same amount on a wedding as on a small car. Id know what i choose.

Luckily I have a great MIL, no Sin Sod apply. Just a big pile of notes during the wedding and it's all bank in to my account again!

I consider sinsod and a big wedding as buying a wife. But that is my opinion. I accept that others are different.

I don't understand why our culture has to loose out. And the Thai one has to win.

But not all Thai girls are Bar gals?? For this case, I got no comments because Farang opted a Bar Girl and obviously it's $$$ on the first sight. You saw many aged Farangs have a young and beautiful girls always beside him....it's because the Farang still have a few dollar in his pocket.

Once dry, she left. No $ No honey !!! Not real LOVE though!

Just to add where i come from big weddings are not the norm. That said there are of course people who do it. But its a personal choice. Being forced by your wife's family to show off is not.

But if where you come from its the norm and you like it by all means do so. In the other post i just gave my opinion.

Many times farang meets bar girl half his age. Bar girl wants big wedding to show off. Farang knows only his money keeps the girl here so he agrees. Worries that showing some strength will put her off and look for an other victim.

No not all big weddings are with bar girl (before i get 1000 members saying they had a big wedding but not a bar girl).

But its all for show, if you have to prove with such a show your worthy IMHO something is wrong.

I rather spend my money on other important stuff instead of a show. Too bad that MIL wants it i call the shots. If you start giving in from the start we all know know where it can end.

But not all Thai girls are Bar gals?? For this case, I got no comments because Farang opted a Bar Girl and obviously it's $$$ on the first sight. You saw many aged Farangs have a young and beautiful girls always beside him....it's because the Farang still have a few dollar in his pocket.

Of course not all Thai girls are bar girls. Anyway for some of use an expensive wedding is normal for others like me it is not.

I am not brought up like that, all that outward show to impress people is new to me. I know i make loads more then most (and that there are others who make more then me). That does not mean i have to waste it.

We all choose how we spend our money and others will always judge it. As long as your happy with your actions then its all good.

I have been to a few of those 'all show-little substance' weddings in bangkok-bored me to tears.

The two best wedding receptions I have been to were mine and one of my friends. His was held at a 5 star hotel for about 100 people-mine at a nice thai/chinese restaurant same size in attendancem

The two things in common; fantastic food. Advice, cut out half the so called friends and friends of friends, and invest more on the most important people.

Keep it light and fun for the guests.

??? seriously ??? The whole question asked by the OP specifically regarding costs ... you only have something negative to offer ?... very sad indeed....

I was tempted to post 'A Friend who got married paid xxx etc' simply to protect myself from daft twits who have nothing better to do than reply negative when someone has offered a little personal information.

For others less inclined to search for the negative, and the OP:

There are many posters who have pointed out that it doesn't matter how much money you spend and how much you get back. What does matter is that you and everyone else around you are happy with what you have arranged.

I've posted my experiences and costs for the Op which may be less or more than others - I doubt many care unless they themselves are planning a wedding party and may be interested in costs. Good luck to the Op and with his planning.

Of course it's "buying a wife".

It's sign of weakness and insecurity.

I agreed on if a young and beautiful Thai gal marrying an aged Farang. You can always call it "buying wife".

Who willing to marry someone who she not really love, but some got no choice, they are too poor to choose.

So marrying an aged Farangs is the instant ATM.

When the ATM operates no longer, it's the end of the marriage! My 2 cents!

You have your point of view too. But it's all up to individuals. But my view is, when you are marrying a Thai wife, try very best to at least hold a party for friends and relatives. Follow and respect their their culture. I don't think it's a waste of money though.:rolleyes:

But not all Thai girls are Bar gals?? For this case, I got no comments because Farang opted a Bar Girl and obviously it's $$ on the first sight. You saw many aged Farangs have a young and beautiful girls always beside him....it's because the Farang still have a few dollar in his pocket.

Of course not all Thai girls are bar girls. Anyway for some of use an expensive wedding is normal for others like me it is not.

I am not brought up like that, all that outward show to impress people is new to me. I know i make loads more then most (and that there are others who make more then me). That does not mean i have to waste it.

We all choose how we spend our money and others will always judge it. As long as your happy with your actions then its all good.

Any male who gives sin-sot and has a large wedding is buying a wife and is weak and insecure ? - That's rather a sweep..

Is this only Western guys you would you tar with this particular brush or would you tar Thai chappy's with the same broad strokes ?

I do agree with robblok who has pointed out that he doesn't understand why our culture has to loose out. I do believe in any mutually respectful relationship that there is plenty of room for compromise on both sides.

I have seen some Westerners over compromise in Thailand and in some cases (as evident on Thai Visa.com) this has been interpreted as a sign of weakness. Others however will not give an inch and are possibly disliked and disrespected, but thats ok, no one will take advantage of them and they are safe in their perpetual state of paranoia that someone always wants something from them....

As mentioned: the key words here are Mutual respectful, mutual compromise - It work both ways in any partnership - These are the relationships in which the motives of one party or another are without question....

Any male who gives sin-sot and has a large wedding is buying a wife and is weak and insecure ? - That's rather a sweep..

Is this only Western guys you would you tar with this particular brush or would you tar Thai chappy's with the same broad strokes ?

I do agree with robblok who has pointed out that he doesn't understand why our culture has to loose out. I do believe in any mutually respectful relationship that there is plenty of room for compromise on both sides.

I have seen some Westerners over compromise in Thailand and in some cases (as evident on Thai Visa.com) this has been interpreted as a sign of weakness. Others however will not give an inch and are possibly disliked and disrespected, but thats ok, no one will take advantage of them and they are safe in their perpetual state of paranoia that someone always wants something from them....

As mentioned: the key words here are Mutual respectful, mutual compromise - It work both ways in any partnership - These are the relationships in which the motives of one party or another are without question....

I think its clear for everyone what kind of people we are talking about when we talk about buying a wife.

Of course there is room for compromise, when i got married things went my way because my wife understood i preferred to spend the money on us not on her family.

Anyway you said something about Thai guys, some buy wives too. All depends on many factors.

I know a sad story where a friend (male) of my wife got married took out a big loan for sin sod and marriage. After they were married wife changed took complete control and made life a living hell. He had to divorce, now he got a big loan and no wife.

So its not only foreigners who are cheated.

One of the labourers on our house went to his cousins wedding recently. It was the most expensive I have ever heard about. 30 million baht sinsod. Yes 30 million I even got him to write down the amount as I couldn't believe it. She is a village girl he's a rich farang. Our labourer thought it very strange. A diplomatic way of saying crazy!

One of the labourers on our house went to his cousins wedding recently. It was the most expensive I have ever heard about. 30 million baht sinsod. Yes 30 million I even got him to write down the amount as I couldn't believe it. She is a village girl he's a rich farang. Our labourer thought it very strange. A diplomatic way of saying crazy!

30 mil. Find this quite difficult to comprehend - in any such circumstance.

30 mil. Find this quite difficult to comprehend - in any such circumstance.

That man is very welcome and visit me.

How could a man with so much money-be so stupid?

30 million baht paid to a sister of a labourer?

I had chilli for dinner tonight and even my farts don't smell like bs as much as that tall tale.

I wonder if they are still married?

For the night party, we had 300-400 guests at 40 tables catered at 1200 baht per table with food and whiskey, 48,000 baht. Ponglang band with instrument and stage rental was about 16,000 baht. Rental of the school yard next door for the event was 1000 baht. Total: 65,000 baht.

Other expenses were the Klong Yao band for the wedding procession, 3000 baht. 500 baht to the officiant. Photographer/videography was about 5,000. Studio pics in Bangkok were about 10,000 baht, including a large framed picture for the party. I can't recall how much we gave the monks for the morning blessing but 2,000 baht for 9 monks I think. Fed guests trickling in from out of town over two or three days, including 1.5 cows slaughtered on site totally maybe another 20,000 for food, beer, rental tents, etc.

All told, just north of 100,000 baht for everything. The exchange rate was considerably better then, so it was maybe $9 per guest, all inclusive. We got back about 80,000 baht as gifts from the guest which paid for most of it. I had a great time and really enjoyed it, but make sure your drink of choice is provided. For some reason beer wasn't part of the package, so I had to dispatch somebody to get me some Singha since the guests only wanted whiskey, apparently.

Worth every satang I spent, I have to say, so enjoy yourself!

For the night party, we had 300-400 guests at 40 tables catered at 1200 baht per table with food and whiskey, 48,000 baht. Ponglang band with instrument and stage rental was about 16,000 baht. Rental of the school yard next door for the event was 1000 baht. Total: 65,000 baht.

Other expenses were the Klong Yao band for the wedding procession, 3000 baht. 500 baht to the officiant. Photographer/videography was about 5,000. Studio pics in Bangkok were about 10,000 baht, including a large framed picture for the party. I can't recall how much we gave the monks for the morning blessing but 2,000 baht for 9 monks I think. Fed guests trickling in from out of town over two or three days, including 1.5 cows slaughtered on site totally maybe another 20,000 for food, beer, rental tents, etc.

All told, just north of 100,000 baht for everything. The exchange rate was considerably better then, so it was maybe $9 per guest, all inclusive. We got back about 80,000 baht as gifts from the guest which paid for most of it. I had a great time and really enjoyed it, but make sure your drink of choice is provided. For some reason beer wasn't part of the package, so I had to dispatch somebody to get me some Singha since the guests only wanted whiskey, apparently.

Worth every satang I spent, I have to say, so enjoy yourself!

Most relevant and informative answer yet

Thanks Nightgoat

Been to a few Thai/farang weddings and many more Thai/Thai weddings, but thus one takes the cake.

Yesterday MIL tells me that and Australian had come to marry the village heads daughter. Unusual as no invites had been handed out. Not one to turn away from some free booze and food I duly set of to the headman's house. Nothing, seems groom and friends had arrived early, did the house thing, no monks. Groom had shelled out for a bottle of Lao Khow and some noodles from the local shop. Got back in the car and headed back to BKK. No gold on show no talk of sin sod. Total cost not counting fuel, 250 Baht.

Don't think the family will be getting much from the new son in-law. Jim