Retirement Visa

So just a quick description I think it's all it requires, if not please quiz me more.

Both parents over 50 living in the UK have money, not endless amounts but they do alright.

Do both of them have to apply for a retirement visa or just 1 and the other applies for a non-o or some other type?

What other things do they need? Documents etc...

I'm not clear on what's what so I've come to the people in the know ;-)

Thanks in advance

You have posted this in the wrong forum, so might have to wait a little for a mod to notice it and move it to the Thai visa forum. Have a little patience and you will no doubt have you answers.

Sophon

• Like 1

Both should obtain single entry non immigrant O visas for 90 day stay. One should then extend one year for retirement after being here 60 days and meeting the financial conditions - spouse can then obtain matching dependent extension of stay without financial conditions. Proof of marriage will be required.

• Like 1

Ah ok that sounds good Lopburi3 thank you to both of you though, i could have sworn i was on the visa forum, oh well these things happen sorry to anyone it has upset ;-) my stupidity wont go unpunished lol.

They could also apply for Non-oa visas in the UK abit more paper work but when they arrive are home free for two years with a multiply entry. They would only have to do 90 day reports and at the end of the first entry make a border run to activate the second entry.

They could also apply for Non-oa visas in the UK abit more paper work but when they arrive are home free for two years with a multiply entry. They would only have to do 90 day reports and at the end of the first entry make a border run to activate the second entry.

This also means the money can remain in the UK. until the 2 years are up

This also means the money can remain in the UK. until the 2 years are up

Sorry if I'm being a bit stupid but what is a Non-oa visa?

I'm over 50 and want to move to Thailand to live with my gf. Although we intend to marry I would be extending my visa based on retirement to start with.

I'm also a bit puzzled regarding the money staying in the UK until 2 years are up.

I don't have a pension but I will have income from rental investments and I saw recently that they are cracking down on people who falsely claim to have sufficient pension income and are checking for this. Does the income have to be from a pension?

Edited by kimamey

Non immigrant O-A is a pre approved long stay visa issued by Thai Embassy in your home country. It requires proof of funds in home country plus medical and police report. If multi entry obtained each entry into Thailand during the one year visa is valid will get a new one year permitted to stay stamp - so an entry just prior to expiration still gets one year from that date. Thereafter you could obtain another or do the normal one year extension of stay from Immigration inside Thailand using local proof of funds.

Most people just obtain a non immigrant O or convert inside Thailand and do the local immigration retirement extensions of stay.

Income requirement is letter from Embassy so subject to what they accept as income. Immigration could ask for supporting documents for that declared income.

Non immigrant O-A is a pre approved long stay visa issued by Thai Embassy in your home country. It requires proof of funds in home country plus medical and police report. If multi entry obtained each entry into Thailand during the one year visa is valid will get a new one year permitted to stay stamp - so an entry just prior to expiration still gets one year from that date. Thereafter you could obtain another or do the normal one year extension of stay from Immigration inside Thailand using local proof of funds.

Most people just obtain a non immigrant O or convert inside Thailand and do the local immigration retirement extensions of stay.

Income requirement is letter from Embassy so subject to what they accept as income. Immigration could ask for supporting documents for that declared income.

Thanks for that quick reply. You posted as I was looking again at the Ministry website and I found an explanation of Non O-A more by accident than anything.

I often wonder why it's easier to get information here on TV than on the official websites.

Thanks again.

Thanks for that quick reply. You posted as I was looking again at the Ministry website and I found an explanation of Non O-A more by accident than anything.

I often wonder why it's easier to get information here on TV than on the official websites.

Thanks again.

What is so complicated about the mfa website? ;)

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2493

looks pretty clear to me.

What is so complicated about the mfa website? ;)

http://www.mfa.go.th...482.php?id=2493

looks pretty clear to me.

Well that's the one I found and seems straightforward. Maybe I should look more carefully.

I'd heard of a type "O" but not "OA".

If you look as I did at post 4 on this thread and try the link for "Visa types and requirements" it goes to the "Issuance of Visas" page and under this it just shows Type "O". However if you click on the "Non Immigrant Visa" link it shows "OA" as well. Once I knew it existed it was possible to find but as I said I'd never heard it mentioned before. Now I know I think this may be what I need.

There is a difference between the 2 pages in that they quote different financial requirements but I'm aware of the 800,000 / 65,000 baht requirement so I know that's correct. There was a thread on here recently from a Norwegian I think who said his embassy didn't do Type "OA" although I can't find it now. Seems like there is some confusion.

Also I've looked at The embassy in London and the consulate in Hull and Hull seem to be asking for a medical from a Thai hospital but that would be difficult and anyway London asks for a UK medical regarding prohibitive diseases.

Still I'm sure it'll all be OK in the end.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Hull can not issue a non immigrant O-A visa. Only the Royal Thai Embassy in London can issue in the UK. The requirement at any location that issues will be proof of the same financials (800k/65) plus police check and medical form. The only difference that you must be alert for is single or multi entry and both are issued. For most people the extra cost of multi will be worth it as no re-entry permits will be required for travel for one year and up to two year before you have to apply for new visa or extension of stay if you exit/return just before expiration of one year visa.

Thanks for the info about Hull not doing O-A visas. their website suggest they do but the embassy in London definitely says only they can. It's not a problem as I can use the embassy anyway.

Any idea on what sort of account is ok for the 800,000 baht. I have some in an ISA which I can keep even if I move abroad although I can't add to it.

Not sure what ISA is (other than probably some savings account) can not say for sure but believe any cash type account would be acceptable. Once doing extensions of stay in Thailand only accounts here or Embassy letter of income can be used.

• 1 year later...

Both should obtain single entry non immigrant O visas for 90 day stay. One should then extend one year for retirement after being here 60 days and meeting the financial conditions - spouse can then obtain matching dependent extension of stay without financial conditions. Proof of marriage will be required.

Hello and good morning. Sorry to leave this so long but the folks will be moving here and they have decided it will be rather soon (apparently).

If say for example my father gets a one year retirement extension and my mother gets the dependent extension does she have to leave every 90 days to do a border run? This is what I have read on the UK Thai Consulate websites application forms, or what I think I've understood anyway??????

If this is the case I don't understand how the dependent would be ageing and still need to leave the country, for now its ok they are both younger than 60 but as time goes on surely this will become a pain in the a*s and an inconvenience for ageing foreigners unless they wanted to tie up 1.6 million baht.

Any help would be nice, thank you. wai.gif

When your father gets a 1 year extension of stay, your mother can get a matching 1 year extension of stay as his dependend. Both will not have to leave the coutnry every 90 days, but do need to report their address every 90 days to immigration (which can be done by mail).

• Like 1

When your father gets a 1 year extension of stay, your mother can get a matching 1 year extension of stay as his dependend. Both will not have to leave the coutnry every 90 days, but do need to report their address every 90 days to immigration (which can be done by mail).

Thanks Mario2008, that explains a lot, it's either poorly worded or I wasn't reading it right when I checked for them. I hope they can get all there answers soon and stop asking me for help haha.

Thanks

Thanks Mario2008, that explains a lot, it's either poorly worded or I wasn't reading it right when I checked for them. I hope they can get all there answers soon and stop asking me for help haha.

Thanks

Just seen that you wrote "Both will not have to leave the coutnry every 90 days" so will one have to leave, or do you mean both of them will be fine.

Thanks again

Edited by jambco984

Thanks

Just seen that you wrote "Both will not have to leave the coutnry every 90 days" so will one have to leave?

Thanks

You are reading to much into it. Neither one of them wil have to leave.

• Like 1

OK great, well if I don't read too much into it then I will only have the folks asking me the same questions then I will be coming back to ask, I though whilst you were still online i'd quickly check, check and triple check.

Better to be safe than getting it in the neck from the parentals, they will head to the Thai Consulate in the UK to ask lots of questions for themselves so I hope my work here is done.

Cheers Mario wai.gif

As said once on retirement or dependent extension of stay there will never be any need to leave (except if retired spouse died or could not meet financial requirements). Consulates are not a good source for immigration information as they are involved in visa issue only - not for extensions of stay.

• Like 1

As said once on retirement or dependent extension of stay there will never be any need to leave. Consulates are not a good source for immigration information as they are involved in visa issue only - not for extensions of stay.

Thank you, so the best thing to do is get them to both get non o's and just head on over here. I told them the last time I went to the consulate they aren't much use, yes applying for visas and that's it.

Cheers wai.gif

Personally I think that if they both have the resources for the non o/a they should get that. In the3 unfortunate event of anything happening to the father his partner's reason for stay is no longer valid and hence a new reason to stay must be found and a new extension obtained. I know it is not a pleasant subject but at such times people can do without extra problems. If they have the money both get their own if not get one and extend on that.

• Like 1

Personally I think that if they both have the resources for the non o/a they should get that. In the3 unfortunate event of anything happening to the father his partner's reason for stay is no longer valid and hence a new reason to stay must be found and a new extension obtained. I know it is not a pleasant subject but at such times people can do without extra problems. If they have the money both get their own if not get one and extend on that.

Surely if something happened then they could take that money and put into an account of whoever is left and then apply for another o on there own merit. Would that be much of a problem apart from say going to Vientiane or Kuala Lumpur to get a new o visa to repeat the process.

wai.gif

Surely if something happened then they could take that money and put into an account of whoever is left and then apply for another o on there own merit. Would that be much of a problem apart from say going to Vientiane or Kuala Lumpur to get a new o visa to repeat the process.

wai.gif

There would probably be a considerable delay in accessing the money in a Thai bankj account as it must be in an individual name for immigration. Probate would have to be obtained. In the meantime the funds would be not legally accessible.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

I believe they have the same pay on death designation as other country's to avoid legal issue but even if not the dependent being over 50 could easily obtain a non immigrant O visa or even tourist visas to cover any delay (and would only require 60 days in account for first application). They could also obtain the non immigrant O visa inside Thailand once meeting the financials in account if on a tourist or visa exempt entry. At a more advanced age it might be more of an issue but suspect immigration would be most understanding in such a situation. An O-A would not be required in any case as both can obtain retirement extensions of stay if meeting financials and they are afraid of death/divorce factor.

• Like 1

wai.gif

I agree with you, but if 'something happened' ( to the non-dependant) then moving money from one account to another and redoing a visa would not be something you would want to be doing at a time like that.

Although I do think that Immigration would be lenient in that type of situation.

• Like 1

Lopburi. I notice that you do not seem to like the O-A option. Do you have any reason? It seems to be a great option for a first visa. It gives up to 2 years with minimal effort. It requires a Medical..free in the UK with any ordinary consultation. A police report. Obtained by filling in a form and a few pounds. It also allows you to keep the money in a UK bank as the only requirement is a bank letter and statement.(Notorised free in the UK). It seems to me an altogether easier way..

Edited by harrry

It can only be obtained in London in UK (or official Consulate in other countries) so that makes it rather hard for many - and the added medical/police reports are normally not without cost (very high costs for some). I am not against O/A for people making use of the travel and/or financial conditions but for most the extension of stay process inside Thailand is the easier option. In this case it was an in case of death question and was offering that the extension of stay for retirement was available to both inside Thailand as well as by advance O/A issue. Both O and O/A are valid options for most people.