Thailand To Shed 'Sex Tourism' Tag Soon

george

A recent World Health Organisation (WHO) report has pegged the number of female prostitutes in the country at 2 lakh.

can someone enlighten me? how much is 2 lakh.?

thaisabai

"A lakh (play /ˈlæk/ lak or /ˈlɑːk/ lahk; also lac) is a unit in the Indian numbering system equal to one hundred thousand (100,000; 105). It is widely used both in official and other contexts in Bangladesh, India, Maldives, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Myanmar and Pakistan, and is often used in Indian English."

if there are only 2 lahk working girls, I wonder what the other million or so are called?

A bunch of old crores!! ;-)

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Hub of Sex....only one they have got right and they wanna get rid of it........thats so Thai.

So true... this is the one thing they get right, and they want to move away from it.

I wouldn't bring my kids here for a holiday. I think of all the resort towns around the world where they have wide promonades for families to walk down for example... here in Thailand one couldn't take a nice walk with the kids... there are no sidewalks, it is simply too dangerous with all the crazy drivers.

Funny that they want to be something they are simply not equipped to be.

Furthermore, I have yet to meet the Thai family that goes on annual holidays (not talking about the odd weekend trip)... so how can they cater for family holidays when they themselves have never been on a family holiday???

If we consider the sex industry it's completely different. They are able to supply a very good service, precisely because the Thais use sex workers so regularly.

Not in our lifetimes.

Try to stop sex tourism! Give me a break. Men from all over the world come her for Thai girls and some for boys, and many for golf. Take the girls out of the equation and what will be the result?

For a family beach holiday there are many places to go.

Easy to do! close down phuket and pattaya .

They did the same thing in the Czech Republic when I lived there. A new mayor was elected in Prague and they completely cleaned up the city, got rid of all the prostitutes on the streets, closed many of the sex clubs and heavily promoted family tourism, culture, history, and so forth. The residents of Prague were getting sick of other Europeans coming over on weekends, drinking until they vomited all over the cobblestone streets, shouting and singing in the streets till all hours of the morning and so forth. The only prostitutes left raised their prices to discourage the cheapskates... They also installed cameras all over the tourist areas to catch drug dealers. Basically it worked. Prague's image was changed over a few month period of time.

I don't know if it will work here. Maybe...

It worked because Prague has hundreds of years of culture, history, beautiful architecture, etc.

Bangkok isn't a beautiful city. It's hot, plain, rammed with traffic. Not much to see compared to other capital cities. See the Grand Palace, Wat Phra Kaaew, Wat Arun (none of which are outstanding) and you've pretty much seen it all. Lots of restaurants, cheap hotels, shopping - but those are in other countries too. As a city to visit for its own merits, it comes behind a lot of cities in the world. Compare it to Paris, Barcelona, Prague, Athens, even my home city of London. These have many more sights and attractions for families. So I suggest that Bangkok's 'exotic' reputation helps it draw many more tourists than it otherwise would.

Precisely.

Just for information, there are maybe 7 or 8 flights a day from Hong Kong to Bangkok, mostly all fully booked

What?? with, dirty old men no doubt craving sex with Thai bar girls!!!

When I travelled BKK to HK and back last year the flight was full of Thais on shopping trips not HK chinese on sex tour.

Gotta disagree with those who think these girls don't go into it willingly. Granted, not all, as some are forced, but I also know more than a few Uni students who "freelance" on the weekends for extra spending cash for new phones, etc, and to supplement what they get from their parents. I personally know one who is studying to become a lawyer. 21 years old and drop dead gorgeous. She has an arrangement with 2 separate men, both farang. One she meets for an hour or so on Saturday, the other for an hour or so on Sunday. 8,000 a month from each of them, and she sees absolutely nothing wrong with this at all. Oh, and no, I'm not one of them. I know her because I help her with her English, which is actually very good, and getting better.

Personally, if this is what they want to do, who am I to judge them? On the other hand, there are those who are sold by their parents, or forced into it through economic hardship, and that I do have a problem with.

IMHO I can't help but think that you have got this the wrong way round. Having sex on account of economic hardship is through necessity in having to find the money for food and clothes to live and doing it to be able to afford possessions such as mobiles is purely materialism and not a justified reason!!!!:unsure:

Parents selling their children to the sex trade is a completely different issue. I don't think you will find much in the way of this in Walking Street as they usually do it willingly (out of necessity in their eyes) to send money home to their families to support them!!

Yes, but it's really on how you define, "necessity." The vast, vast majority of the girls working the prostitution game had multiple job opportunities available to them and they simply chose prostitution because it was easy and paid big money. I'm not necessarily saying that Thai girls view the prostitution scene as being without tradeoffs. They know the stigma in Thai society. They know the risks (HIV, getting beat up, killed, etc). They know all of this and they still figure it's easier than working 12 hours a day, six days a week, in a normal job and the money is considerably better.

Necessity is finding enough money to pay for food and clothes for the family. Of course there will be some that view prostitution as a means of getting easy money (whilst having a good time behind the bar) - but as you say, there are inherent dangers of picking up an STD, with HIV and AIDS possible death sentences.

I don't think that you are right when you say a majority of them have multiple job opportunities available to them as if they live in a Northern village in the wilderness then other than farming and opening up a small shop outside the house they are going to find it difficult to get decent employment. Let's say they went to Bangkok to look for a job in a multi-national company - what will be the response when they ask for their qualifications and place of origin??? Coming from the North with a sub-standard education is not going to get them very far is it!!!

I assume you agree with me on the ethics of someone prostituting themselves for material gain is less acceptable. It's akin to a Thai man having a wife and a junior wife whereby he actually pays them for the priviledge of having sex only for 1 hour a week. If she only does it with these two farangs then that will be a lot safer than being a bar girl, unless of course, one or both put themselves about with other women (bar girls) and have unprotected sex with them - then she is in the same game as those bar girls!!

^^ :lol: Thinking the same thing myself

My question is if one lakh is 100000 and 2 lakh is 200000 how much is 3 lakh?

Easy!

3 lakh = 1 lakh + 2 lakh rolleyes.gif

I always thought it was 4 lakh - 1 lakh. Thanks for putting me straight. :D

Half of 6 lakh would seem the correct answer to me.....

Just for information, there are maybe 7 or 8 flights a day from Hong Kong to Bangkok, mostly all fully booked

When I travelled BKK to HK and back last year the flight was full of Thais on shopping trips not HK chinese on sex tour.

What!!! Up to 1,500 Thai's flying DAILY to Hong Kong on shopping trips - I find that as believable as Thaksin becoming the patron saint of philanthropy!!!!:blink:

^^ :lol: Thinking the same thing myself

My question is if one lakh is 100000 and 2 lakh is 200000 how much is 3 lakh?

Easy!

For themore arithmetically inclined √9 lakh = 3 lakh.

Aahh. The mighty lakh, a rose.

If I was a Thai national I'd be sticking the middle finger up at all those who want to shut down our sex industry. Thailand is a free nation and not under the control of the USA, UK or any other western society. We shall do what we want when we want. If that includes letting our citizens perform sexual acts for money then so be it. After all judging by the millions, if you believe the figures, who come here for just that we can't be that wrong and seem to be providing a service that nobody else can. Anyway it is mostly the tight-arsed western social workers who've never had a <deleted> in their lives and are so kee-neow to come here and pay for some that spread these vile messages about Thailand being the sex capital of the world. To them I say "Get a Life" and "Get a <deleted>" Keep your nose outta my business......

What!!! Up to 1,500 Thai's flying DAILY to Hong Kong on shopping trips - I find that as believable as Thaksin becoming the patron saint of philanthropy!!!!:blink:

And you learnt something new today...

It's apparently all the rage amongst rich or even well to do Thais right now...

Not sure about the numbers, but the number of Thais going to HK for shopping is very surprising indeed. Also, the shops around Kawloon, where many of the exclusive shops are have signage in Thai- so I think it is quite believable that 1,500 Thais a day might go there. I didn't notice any Malay or Vietnamese signage in HK. The only languages I saw were Chinese, English, and Thai.

I said the flight I was on, not every flight........I, like you, have no idea who was on the other flights .. what I'm trying to say is NOT all 7 or 8 flights are full of sex tourists... some maybe but NOT ALL. The majority, possibly, but not all...NO ONE CAN SAY ALL

The Hub of Sex....only one they have got right and they wanna get rid of it........thats so Thai.

I like the way they say that it will SOON be rid of sex tourism - What will the do to Pattaya City - change the bars over night into coffee shops, banks and hundreds of 7/11's NB: they can flood the city with pharmacists as well (oh!! i forgot, they have done already).

The larger gogo bars can be turned into theatres and ballet/opera venues. Tourism will surely thrive under Pattaya's new identity, don't you think???

The police can act as bouncers for the ballet/opera venues just in case the patrons get out of order (hyperactive on all that caffeine). The jet-ski scammers can work outside as ticket-touts (in conjunction with those police that miss out on the bouncers jobs). So full employment and Pattaya will become the cultural city of Thailand or even Asia, or the world maybe, overnight.

If this all happens then I am going to book my trip tomorrow to take in the "new" Pattaya experience!!!B) .I've started packing already and can't wait to get there - Swan Lake here we come!!!;)

Not sure about the numbers, but the number of Thais going to HK for shopping is very surprising indeed. Also, the shops around Kawloon, where many of the exclusive shops are have signage in Thai- so I think it is quite believable that 1,500 Thais a day might go there. I didn't notice any Malay or Vietnamese signage in HK. The only languages I saw were Chinese, English, and Thai.

And not let's forget Macau and its gambling just next door. When I first went there, over 20 years ago, the immigration officer spoke perfect Thai. Not all Thai gamblers go to Poipet.

Referring to KKK's post

ALL, ALL, ALL, ALL (I said this word 4 times as I wrote it) - that's disproved your last point.

Did they have a sign in the airport (or on the website booking page) stating "sexpats not allowed on this flight"???

Did they let you interview the passengers on the other 6 or 7 flights to check on their reasons for travelling? You start off implying that your flight was full of shoppers, then not all of the flights are full of sexpats, but perhaps some (they are creeping onto the plane now) and then possibly the majority, meaning that they are predominantly full of sexpats after all!!!

I think that I will book the last flight to Hong Kong, get their 3 hours before the first flight leaves and make an assessment through watching the

crowds of passengers in the departure lounge making notes of their mannerisms whilst taking notes on such things as to whether they are families travelling together (shoppers) or single males gawping at the other young females on the flight and locking-on to the breast area of the most attractive stewardess as they "cat walk" on to the plane (sexpat) whose seen a lot of action whilst in Pattaya/Phuket/Bangkok) and is fantasising about the chosen Stewardess (or Steward if he's gay) being his next and last conquest before returning back to mundane normality!!:D

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

Sex tourism can be banished when Thai police are first educated on what Prostitution really means! A newspaper article once carried an article that the police invaded a pub for prostitution... I guess it was very hard finding one in Pattaya. it is mind boggling as to how they differentiated or filtered their search. Hmmmm Very hard ching ching!!!! :)<div><br></div>

Obviously a pub who forgot to pay their bribe money.

But there needs to be a crackdown foreigners seeking underage women, and women being forced into prostitution.

All prostitutes are beeing "forced" into it, one way or another, even tho they put on a fake smile pretend to be happy.

Forced by beeing extremely poor, or forced by their parents and grandparents because they want money.

Do you seriously think that these girls goes happily into prostutution because they want to?

"Do you seriously think that these girls goes happily into prostutution because they want to?"

I hate to piss on your parade, but quite a few do, and for a number of different reasons. I like to have a few beers each evening and have a number of working girls as friends - they all know my long term g/f and also know that I don't play around. I help them with English and we discuss any number of subjects.

Jai Dee works bars because she doesn't want to be anybody's servant, and to be economically independent. Now in her mid-40s she owns land and businesses in her home province which she would place at risk by marrying a Thai man, and she has refused several offers from farangs.

I knew Noi's mother in Oz where she ran a Thai restaurant until deported. I visited them in BKK, met Noi, her husband and 2 kids - husband an electronics engineer, seemed a good guy. Mum and Noi came down to Samui to visit, Mum goes home and Noi is working in a bar &lt;deleted&gt;? Last heard she is living in Germany with new husband.

Many of the girls in any one bar come from the same village. One comes down to try it, sends the word home, next thing you know every girl in the village wants to give it a go. Phone, bike, gold, make-up, flash clothes, money in their pocket, dancing all night - beats the crap out of planting rice in Duckville, just outside Nakhon Nowhere. Maybe tonight's boyfriend isn't the Thai stud of her dreams, but he's a lot less likely to give her a punch in the mouth and empty her wallet.

Some turn into seasonal workers, showing up every year like xmas beetles. They usually borrow to do it (I have lent a few thou to friends, and been paid back, in cash), but go home after 3-4 months with a new set of clobber and enough to live on for the rest of the year. Not many have husbands, same reason as Jai Dee.

This culture has a completely different attitude to sex, and to women's position in society. Don't make assumptions based on your own values.

spot on ;)

A recent World Health Organisation (WHO) report has pegged the number of female prostitutes in the country at 2 lakh.

can someone enlighten me? how much is 2 lakh.?

thaisabai

I guess it could be 2 lahn(million), seem like a reasonable figure....

It seems some of you really need to read....I never said all people travelling between Thailand and Hong Kong were shoppers or sexpats. I stated that the flight I was on was full of Thais going and returning from shopping trips to HK. Nobody can say, truthfully, that ALL, 7 or 8 flights are full of only shoppers or only sexpats. A mix, yes but never ALL.

The key point is that Thai prostitution is by Thai for Thai. While tourists will frequent sex spots the tourism traffic alone would never support the industry. So, how are they going to change the cultural norm of prostitution and infidelity with kept mistresses among Thais?

Agree with that. The same everywhere in the world.

What people don't understand is there is big shift in tourism in Thailand, from tourists from the west to tourist from the east, a lot from China. .

The traditional form of Thai "prostitution" (mia noi business) that is so exotic to western tourists, is very common to Asian people. They won't come to Thailand for that.

And in the future, they are are going to be the main source for tourism.

The problem is western tourists don't realize they don't represent the future of tourism for Thailand

Following Countrys Represent the Future of Tourism in Thailand = RUSSIA, CHINA ,INDIA and any other Asian Countrys you are right on this one.

Just check 10 Years ago you would not see a Russian Sign in for example Pattaya or Samui ... Check now, almost every Shop has a Russian Sign in front..

Gotta disagree with those who think these girls don't go into it willingly. Granted, not all, as some are forced, but I also know more than a few Uni students who "freelance" on the weekends for extra spending cash for new phones, etc, and to supplement what they get from their parents. I personally know one who is studying to become a lawyer. 21 years old and drop dead gorgeous. She has an arrangement with 2 separate men, both farang. One she meets for an hour or so on Saturday, the other for an hour or so on Sunday. 8,000 a month from each of them, and she sees absolutely nothing wrong with this at all. Oh, and no, I'm not one of them. I know her because I help her with her English, which is actually very good, and getting better.

Personally, if this is what they want to do, who am I to judge them? On the other hand, there are those who are sold by their parents, or forced into it through economic hardship, and that I do have a problem with.

IMHO I can't help but think that you have got this the wrong way round. Having sex on account of economic hardship is through necessity in having to find the money for food and clothes to live and doing it to be able to afford possessions such as mobiles is purely materialism and not a justified reason!!!!:unsure:

Parents selling their children to the sex trade is a completely different issue. I don't think you will find much in the way of this in Walking Street as they usually do it willingly (out of necessity in their eyes) to send money home to their families to support them!!

Yes, but it's really on how you define, "necessity." The vast, vast majority of the girls working the prostitution game had multiple job opportunities available to them and they simply chose prostitution because it was easy and paid big money. I'm not necessarily saying that Thai girls view the prostitution scene as being without tradeoffs. They know the stigma in Thai society. They know the risks (HIV, getting beat up, killed, etc). They know all of this and they still figure it's easier than working 12 hours a day, six days a week, in a normal job and the money is considerably better.

".......... the stigma in Thai society. " Not so much, and a lot less when you work a long way from home.

"............ the risks (HIV, getting beat up, killed, etc) If you were to add robbed of their wages, the risks are much more prevalent in a village marriage than in the farang sex scene.

"........ working 12 hours a day, six days a week, in a normal job" A bit over the top, 6x10 or 5x12 more common. Bar girls often work longer hours.

The money CAN be considerably better, but it's variable. Some of my bar-girl will borrow a thou or 2 to send home at the end of a bad month, always pay it back asap (in cash) with a Chang for interest.

If the Government really wants to establish a family link then its first port of call would be to ban/prohibit (by whatever means required) these so called Monger forums on Thailands sex industry.

Very viewable and I admit to being on one myself (albeit not contributing to the out and out sexual parts) but these need to be removed at outset ?? This has promoted sexual tourism more than anything else in the last decade.

Others may take a different view-I dont know ??

Just curious as to how you can differentiate between shoppers or "sexpats"?

Do they get given tags at the airport or is there a uniform?

Well for a start no Thai national could be classed a sexpat or any other kind of expat in his own country.

Easy!

For themore arithmetically inclined √9 lakh = 3 lakh.

Aahh. The mighty lakh, a rose.

SQRT 9 lakh = 948.683298