English Man In Coma After Motorbike Accident In Samui

sbk

Although not included in this report it is confirmed this occurred in Samui:

Surrey mother remortgages to fly injured son home from Thailand

A mother from Surrey has remortgaged her home and pushed her credit cards to the limit in an attempt to fly her injured son home from Thailand.

Carl Bartholomew, 33, from Blackwater was involved in a motorbike crash 11 days ago which left him in a coma with brain injuries.

He had stayed longer in Thailand than expected and his insurance had expired.

Story continued here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-14574165

Wow I didnt realise this had made the news back in the UK. I know Carl - he's a real nice lad. I was with him only a few hours before this happened. Was shocked when I heard.

My thoughts are with Carl and his family, and I wish them all the very best for a full and speedy recovery.

Would it be too much to ask for Bangkok mSamui Hospital to show some compassion and present the poor woman with a reasonable bill?

I sincerely hope their morals have changed since my last experience with them and wish the family the best.

Would it be too much to ask for Bangkok mSamui Hospital to show some compassion and present the poor woman with a reasonable bill?

I sincerely hope their morals have changed since my last experience with them and wish the family the best.

agree here, and considering they are getting alot of international exposure, they could agree to lower the bill if they put some more ' positive ' news about the hospital apart from it costing 1,200 Pounds a day....

Before I say my peace it's bad news for this guy and family. People should read and learn when on holiday's have insurance coverage and don't let it run out just because you like to stay longer, or have enough money to cover what ever. Wear a helmet I'm not saying he didn't. Don't expect any hospital to give a discount it's a business you don't get a discount for the 3rd beer you buy. I know Carmine will say I have no compassion you could be right.

Before I say my peace it's bad news for this guy and family. People should read and learn when on holiday's have insurance coverage and don't let it run out just because you like to stay longer, or have enough money to cover what ever. Wear a helmet I'm not saying he didn't. Don't expect any hospital to give a discount it's a business you don't get a discount for the 3rd beer you buy. I know Carmine will say I have no compassion you could be right.

He wasn't wearing a helmet.

I wish the guy all the best and hope he gets well soon.

As a side note, most of the cheaper (if not all) holiday insurances don't cover for motorbike accidents. Always a good idea to read the policy small print and specify extra coverage if renting. Same also goes for diving, holiday insurances rarely cover for diving accidents and recompression treatments.

He did try to renew his insurance but they wouldn't let him. Apparently you have to fly home, pick up the phone, get a new policy. Why you can't do that while away seems a bit ridiculous.

I encountered this situation, a NZ/Aust health insurer I'd had private medical insurance with since 1989, when I came here paid 6 months for full travel/accident cover - then when I went to renew online they said no can only be renewed from within NZ.

'the rules' - pointless arguing with their 'help desk' so gave up.

It's all about customer service!

i am not sure if this applies to people on tourist visa but it is worth a look but u can get thai inssurence with bupa. i know there coverage is allot less and about 18 to 20 k per year but if yur bill is something like 300 k or 800 k then at least u r covered for some ingeries.

i think they cover about 1 million baht i am sure u can get more cover if u pay more. that is still 20 k off a 50 k or 70 k English pound medicale bill.

as for more minor accidents u might save up to 20 k ( english )

worth looking into bupa. just hoep the hospital doesn't take the piss and charge people for being wheeled by wheel chair to and from the room and checking your blood and pulse and charging 20 times the amount for medicine. over the top nursing fees. then tax on top of that.

as for this case the forgein affairs office should be able to give you help on re-newing a policy even if that means going to bangkok to be assed. like the man siad.

to re-new he would have had to go home. pick up a phone then come back.

expemsive phone call for someone who did not know that their life would change.

also if people have a bike liscence and have a nice motor bike in the u.k. then with the list of things u bring out. a bike helmet might help. if u have money at the end u could send it back via post to save luggage. send via ems

Your post is perfectly reasonable as far as i'm concerned.

Regarding hospitals bills though, theres a big difference between getting a discount and having to pay the outrageous bills they pluck out of the air. Its like a "lets see what we can get out of this poor soul." All i can say is that employees of that hospital must have the ability to put aside their morals and scrupples when they see the totally unwarrented financial misery inflicted on helpless people in the hospitals relentless pursuit of MASSIVE profits.

Remind anyone of another company on Samui?

Anyone from the UK would know what i mean when i say that the "Panorama" documentary programme would have an absolute field day with Bangkok Samui Hospital. Theres a thought :whistling:

Edited by carmine

Regarding hospitals bills though, theres a big difference between getting a discount and having to pay the outrageous bills they pluck out of the air. Its like a "lets see what we can get out of this poor soul." All i can say is that employees of that hospital must have the ability to put aside their morals and scrupples when they see the totally unwarrented financial misery inflicted on helpless people in the hospitals relentless pursuit of MASSIVE profits.

Anyone from the UK would know what i mean when i say that the "Panorama" documentary programme would have an absolute field day with Bangkok Samui Hospital. Theres a thought :whistling:

it would even possibly result in insurance companies blocking holders from using the hospital, sort of a black list

it would even possibly result in insurance companies blocking holders from using the hospital, sort of a black list

I would'nt be surprised if thats on the way and possibly a consideration when choosing medical insurers. Some already stipulate they won't pay more than 75% of the bill i believe.

What should that tell you. I might add, who can blame them. They're not in the business off getting taken to the cleaners either.

I wish the guy all the best and hope he gets well soon.

As a side note, most of the cheaper (if not all) holiday insurances don't cover for motorbike accidents. Always a good idea to read the policy small print and specify extra coverage if renting. Same also goes for diving, holiday insurances rarely cover for diving accidents and recompression treatments.

we have bike insurance on your policy i had to send in my licence in, and it cost a lot more but not 1k day? plus if diving with a company the price you pay should include insurance (check first) i feel sorry for them to but 12 month without any cover is pushing your luck a bit, and it ran out hope he gets better soon.

Edited by doingok

I might need a tin helmet for this .... :whistling:

I am not going to say this hospital is cheap .... but if you look at the available financial information on the company, then I would say that they are not making excessive profits like we would like to think.

The parent company which owns Bangkok Samui is a thai public company traded on the SET. Last year it made 9.4% net profit. Not a huge number in my opinion. OK, this number came after costs including salaries etc etc, but it is a regulated company and has to disclose information just like any other company. If it were employing too many staff or sevices that were not needed, shareholders would rightly ask why? (Yes, a certain doctor and Bangkok Airways holds just over 20% of the shares, with the rest in the public domain.) One could argue that it could save money by doing less landscaping and stuff, but overall it delivers an excellent service I believe, and, judging by the numbers, is not making outrageous profit.

BUPA - difficult to make a comparison, but it appears they made around 6% profit. How many of us would like to make at least 10% profit each year on our businesses?

It is a very sad story brought about by the lack of insurance. If this guy had been in America, or anywhere outside of the EEC, then I suspect the financial heartache for the family would not be very much different.

On this note I will now leave the room.:D

I am not going to say this hospital is cheap .... but if you look at the available financial information on the company, then I would say that they are not making excessive profits like we would like to think.

The parent company which owns Bangkok Samui is a thai public company traded on the SET. Last year it made 9.4% net profit. Not a huge number in my opinion. OK, this number came after costs including salaries etc etc, but it is a regulated company and has to disclose information just like any other company. If it were employing too many staff or sevices that were not needed, shareholders would rightly ask why? (Yes, a certain doctor and Bangkok Airways holds just over 20% of the shares, with the rest in the public domain.) One could argue that it could save money by doing less landscaping and stuff, but overall it delivers an excellent service I believe, and, judging by the numbers, is not making outrageous profit.

BUPA - difficult to make a comparison, but it appears they made around 6% profit. How many of us would like to make at least 10% profit each year on our businesses?

It is a very sad story brought about by the lack of insurance. If this guy had been in America, or anywhere outside of the EEC, then I suspect the financial heartache for the family would not be very much different.

ICU at Bangkok Samui is pretty similar to what you'd find in the UK. At £1200 a night the cost would likely be comparable. In fact I just checked on Wiki and they quote £1300 in the UK. Not such a rip off there.

Samui is reputed to have one of the highest per capita level of mortality rates, by motorcycle accidents, in the world. According to stats I read, 90% of the fatalities from motorcycle accidents on Samui, happen to people not wearing helmets. We are taking about 700 fatalities a year, on motorcycles on Samui alone. How many are farengs on vacation? Who wants to be sent home in a wooden box, while on vacation? I am not saying a helmet will always save you, but the skull is a very fragile thing, and a human skull is not designed to come in contact with pavement, concrete, or other vehicles, and the wearing of a good helmet will dramatically improve the odds. Since the feeble, terribly ineffective, and apathetic police force or government here will not do anything about enforcing the helmet law, people should just show the common sense and wear one. Riding without one here is suicidal. There are way too many crazy drivers, and the mini van, taxi drivers, and truck drivers just do not seem to give a dam_n, and show little courtesy or respect to other drivers. I am not sure where they are going, but they are in an awful hurry to get there.

Bangkok Hospital Samui is a very good hospital. They seem to offer the best care on Samui. It is very expensive, but nowhere near the cost of care in the US. I realize that is not saying much. A friend of mine recently needed to get a major procedure on his leg. They quoted him 1,300,000 baht. He got a quote from a very good private hospital in Bangkok, and it was 460,000 baht. Then his surgeon offered to get him a quote from a very good public hospital in Bangkok. He ended up doing the procedure there, and the total cost, with surgeons fees, etc., was 46,000 baht! It seems like Thai International Hospital, across from the Tesco in Chaweng offers nearly comparable care, for about a third of the cost. They use a lot of the same doctors, and do a very good job. That is the recommended go to hospital here in Samui.

You forgot to add that if they drive into you, because lets say, you were just there, and after they have wiped you out, you might have damaged their vehicle. In which case, if its not raining, the police might turn up and you will have to pay damages to the person that ran you off the road, because they would not have run you off the road causing you serious injury if you were'nt here.

Such moral backbone.

You forgot to add that if they drive into you, because lets say, you were just there, and after they have wiped you out, you might have damaged their vehicle. In which case, if its not raining, the police might turn up and you will have to pay damages to the person that ran you off the road, because they would not have run you off the road causing you serious injury if you were'nt here.

Such moral backbone.

Just absurd. If you had to argue a reply..... I am here by consent, not illegally. Ask the government to pay damages for allowing this obstruction to be here. Still absurd

Such moral backbone.

Just absurd. If you had to argue a reply..... I am here by consent, not illegally. Ask the government to pay damages for allowing this obstruction to be here. Still absurd

This is very much a Samui attitude. Absurd is a polite term that could be used for this attitude i suppose. Disgusting is another. If it was isolated then not worthy of comment, but its common practice.

Reward a Thai for not adhereing to the laws of the road and shakedown a law abiding foreigner.

Another example of thirld world mentality and corruption with a nice bit of window dressing.

Edited by carmine

I've witnessed accidents where Thai witnesses told the police that the Westerner was not at fault and the MOB didn't even bother to listen to the Thai witnesses. In their eyes/pov every Westerner is per definition wrong.