Maenam Beach At Samui, How Does It Look Like Now ?

Hi,

Last time I was in Samui coconut trees were dying and Maenam beach was getting smaller and smaller with water level getting higher.

Can you update me and tell me how it looks like now ?

Is Maenam still the only quiet place in Samui where you can find nice beach without millions of rocks and people ?

Thanks a lot.

There are quite a few nice beaches on Samui without millions of rocks and people. Maenam is not the only one.

Those of us that live on the island try and keep them a secret, that way - there are no people :whistling:

Keep looking B)

Edited by Tropicalevo

Maenam beach was reasonable busy the other day when i was down there..... But not so swamped with people you could not move!!!! And the beach is certainly long enough to find the area best suited to you.....

Coconut are trees still there too..!

As Tropicalevo says there are many other beaches on the island which are not that hard to find.....that are great places to go if you want total piece and quiet... With no one around.... Except perhaps the odd fisherman.....

• 2 months later...

I did a search and this thread turned up, so perhaps better to use this one than start a new one...

My question has been half answered and it looks positive, but can i engage with locals to supply a bit more info?

I used to go to samui and phangan three four times a year throughout the 90s when i lived in bkk. It was my total heaven. Since then i've lived in chiang mai and my visits are few and far between. While looking at the beautiful mountains here, i got to wistfully wishing i was on a beach as i knew them back in the 90s. Having had a few trips and seen the 'progress' since the turn of the century, in particular the demise (as i see it) of big buddha beach and village, it suddenly occurred to me that maenam may have largely bypassed all the progress in the last decade. I didn't used to go there so often, but often enough to enjoy strolling around all the back sois, and in particular staying in cheap bungalow resorts where you got your bungalow right on the beach, replete with hammock, wrote in the book details of your meals etc etc.

So, i was wondering, how does the maenam of today compare with the maenam of the 90s? Are big resorts and real estate minimal? Does it still have that chilled-out timeless feel about the place? Any pics that locals can post up to entice me down there next year?!

My giant master plan is to come down about june time for a month, the time i think is maybe the best weather-wise from memory. I love phangan, and have mostly spent my time there in my sporadic trips recently, but my favourite parts there are slowly being overtaken by greedy resort owners. I am instinctively feeling that all along i should have been heading for maenam beach. Am i right?

post-30775-0-64018700-1314094954_thumb.j

Maenam Beach taken about 3 months ago if I remember correctly.

Cheers. Sorry about earlier failed post.

nice picture :thumbsup:

It's tough living here isn't it?:wai:

You are so right TE, you know all the problems we have to put up with living here, the Samui mafia, the rip-off taxi drivers, the state of the roads, the kami kaze bike riders, the Fortuner and CRV drivers, the corrupt BIB, the drainage smells down Chaweng Beach road, Bangkok airways prices, over priced bar drinks, the 'seedy' bars of Sois Reggae and Green Mango, the 'get there earlier' advertising pick ups, the full/black moon parties, the power cuts, the internet outages, the lack of convenience stores, to say nothing of the imminent monsoon and subsequent flooding you have predicted. Tough indeed! Can't imagine why I am happy living on Samui! :D