Indonesia Says Jail Terms Of Militants May Be Cut

TAWP

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle....Y-INDONESIA.xml

JAKARTA (Reuters) - Indonesia's Justice Minister Hamid Awaluddin said militants convicted under anti-terrorism laws, including cleric Abu Bakar Bashir, are eligible for a reduction in their jail terms to mark a major Muslim holiday.

The move, expected this week to mark Eid al-Fitr that falls on November 3, is likely to irritate some foreign countries, especially Australia, which lost 88 citizens in the 2002 Bali bombings.

Bashir's conviction was linked to the Bali blasts, which killed 202 people, and intelligence officials say he was the spiritual leader of the Jemaah Islamiah militant network blamed for those and other bombings.

"Remission is for all prisoners without looking at the type of crimes which had been carried out," Awaluddin told a news conference late on Sunday when asked whether Bashir was eligible for a sentence cuts Indonesia gives most prisoners on major holidays.

"The rule goes that all prisoners can get remission as long as they have displayed good behavior," Awaluddin said.

Every year Indonesia cuts jail terms of thousands of prisoners as part of a remission program for Independence Day and special religious holidays.

Last August Bashir received 135 days remission on his 30-month jail sentence on Indonesia's Independence Day. He is due for release next year.

Indonesia has said that it was reviewing the prison remission scheme, based on a 1999 presidential decree, but it is unclear when it will be completed.

(Can't post in news-section, so feel free to move the topic where it's best suited.)

Then my appologies, but the Bali-bombing was newsed here and we have a lot of Aussie friends on this forum. So I thought someone would like to know.

Being the heavy duty hippocrite that I am: I smacked an Islam based thread earlier today yet look at this as being closer to home. It effects me more and I'm interested. The words of an idiot Iranian Politician shall remain forgettable but events in Bali will not.

• 2 months later...
Last August Bashir received 135 days remission on his 30-month jail sentence on Indonesia's Independence Day. He is due for release next year.

What a shame they didn't add 30 yrs. :o

Agreed. 30 months for conspiracy to murder 202 people says a lot about the Indon justice system.

Corby just had 5 years added to her sentence (taking it back to 20 years) for smuggling weed.

Agreed. 30 months for conspiracy to murder 202 people says a lot about the Indon justice system.

Corby just had 5 years added to her sentence (taking it back to 20 years) for smuggling weed.

Its Islam being Islam. To kill non Islamics and incidentally killing other Islamics in the name of Allah and under Jihad is honorable. To correct an error in the smuggling case that would let an innocent infiedal go free would be unforgivenable. From what I've read the lady wasn't guilty, but an airline employee, later caught, was the culprit.

the "genius" moqoso wrote:

Its Islam being Islam. To kill non Islamics and incidentally killing other Islamics in the name of Allah and under Jihad is honorable.

Now you're really showing how stupid you are!

Most muslims are law abiding & peaceful.

And probably have a few more brain cells than you...

Edited by Jaffy

incidentally

Allah

and

Jihad

honorable

an

innocent

infiedal (sic)

Just in case anyone thought that we might have strayed off-topic and gone into something that wasn't Thailand-related.

the "genius" moqoso wrote:

Its Islam being Islam. To kill non Islamics and incidentally killing other Islamics in the name of Allah and under Jihad is honorable.

Now you're really showing how stupid you are!

Most muslims are law abiding & peaceful.

And probably have a few more brain cells than you...

:D:o

I work in the middle east Oman close to 10 years and have found most the guys here no different than the guys back in Oz they are all busy chasing pussy getting pisst and driving fast cars and have found most of them to be non aggressive people. Except the time I sacked a heroin dealer from work who decided it would be fun to throw diesel on my bed and set it on fire. Lucky I worked back late that night and came back to a pile of ash

How ever you will never get them to side with you against another Islamic brother and they love calling the police on you for being a mean person and doing your job

I beg to disagree: I lived and worked for 12 years in the middle east. Dubai, Abu dhabi, Jordan and Oman. The people I met (Muslim/Arab call them what you will) were almost always great fun and extremely hospitable. I had a blast, visiting an Arabic employee at home in Jordan and listening his 78 year old father's stories was truly eye-opening.

Sorry for the not Thailand related post.

We can ignore the point of his post while we pat Arabs on the back for being cuddly, but the people who were involved in the Bali bombing are getting away with it.

Bashir and the odious smiling bomber should have been found guilty and shot in the head before having their remains burnt with that of a pig. This would help deter copy cats.

Islam is a 2 wrongs make a right system. The judges were in on it too.