Dutch Diplomat Warns Of Phuket Tourism 'Landslide'

webfact

Dutch diplomat warns of Phuket tourism ‘landslide’

phuket-1-10860oNKgUylQlvMCCjChVUmKFZLpVW.jpg

Dutch Ambassador Joan Boer (left) talks shop with Gov Tri about

Phuket tourists' problems with jet-skis and tuk-tuk drivers.

phuket-4-10860BfApJiZeLbLggBpAkeAAArABDa.jpg

Governor Tri explains the full situation of what it takes to effect

change in Phuket.

PHUKET: -- Critical issues affecting Phuket tourism must be contained, or else the industry could “slide out of control”, the Dutch Ambassador to Thailand warned yesterday.

On his first official visit to Phuket, Ambassador Joan Boer asked Phuket Governor Tri Augkaradacha what he intended to do about the problems, specifically naming jet-ski rip-off scams and unscrupulous tuk-tuk drivers as the key culprits.

Likening the potential effect on tourism to a landslide, Amb Boer said, “Everything starts moving very slowly, but soon you have critical mass and things start moving out of control. And that’s what we have at the moment

“Just look at the number of complaints about jet-skis and the very unfortunate event two weeks ago when two boys got into big problems over 1,000 baht. That’s not good for us and not good for Phuket,” he said.

Amb Boer pointed out that Spain and Greece had suffered similar problems.

“That’s why they lost 30-40% of their tourists,” he said.

“In tourism, if there is no security and no predictability – then cheap prices will not help you at the end of the day,” he added.

Gov Tri told Amb Boer the biggest barrier to resolving such problems were entrenched local political figures with powerful "support bases".

“We have our consuls’ meeting once every three months and tuk-tuks are one of the most pressing issues that need to be resolved. This has been an issue in Phuket for a long time. We cannot fix this problem in one step; it needs to be done little by little,” he said.

“We have to accept that the problem involves people who are supporters of a local [“influential person”], so when we order them to do something to solve the problem, it doesn’t go very well – that’s why we have to do it step by step,” added the governor.

But some progress has been made, said Gov Tri, explaining that many jet-ski operators were being brought into the system, and hence under regulation.

Steps are also being taken to address other issues, he added.

“Parking is another problem. Some local people [in Patong] do not allow tourists to park in public parking spaces. If any tourists park in their areas, they damage the vehicles,” he said.

“But now we are solving the problem. We are finding areas for tourists to park. I have talked to the police and they are taking steps to resolve this issue,” Gov Tri said.

In gaining what he called “co-operation” from local people, Governor Tri made plain that his powers went beyond canceling locally-issued licenses.

“If the police cannot do anything to resolve either of these two issues [jet-skis and tuk-tuk drivers], I have the authority to contact the central government in Bangkok to request help.

“Bangkok can send people with the power to do something about the problems, even call in the military,” Gov Tri said.

Amb Boer appreciated Gov Tri’s sentiment, offering to act at the diplomatic level on any advice provided.

“I would be very happy to ask questions that come from the consular meetings – which we think are a very good idea - to the central government as well,” he said.

“Problems that play here may play out at another level,” Amb Boer added.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2011/article10860.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-08-23

“In tourism, if there is no security and no predictability – then cheap prices will not help you at the end of the day,” he added.

Mmmm .... cheap prices ... not so sure that the average tourist would agree given the exchange rates for a strong baht.

“If the police cannot do anything to resolve either of these two issues [jet-skis and tuk-tuk drivers], I have the authority to contact the central government in Bangkok to request help.

“Bangkok can send people with the power to do something about the problems, even call in the military,” Gov Tri said.

Call in the military :huh: We will all just have to wait and see if anything changes, but don't hold your breath folks ... :whistling:

He's de facto admitting that 'influent local people' are the island's real ruler

Shitty situation, but I think we have to give the man some credit for being honest about the root of the problem. That is a thing that does not come easy to many locals.

He's de facto admitting that 'influent local people' are the island's real ruler

Shitty situation, but I think we have to give the man some credit for being honest about the root of the problem. That is a thing that does not come easy to many locals.

agree here, but i think it is time to Name and Shame and move on for a better Phuket, unlike samui, they are edging slowly forward.....

untill the greed, and the people in Charge of the greed are ' removed ' nothing will change

Wouldn't it be glorious to see the military come in the next time the tuk tuk mafia decides that they want to blockade somewhere? The chances of the tuk tuk cowards standing up when the odds are overwhelmingly on their side are slim to absolutely none.

I'm guessing that standing up to them once really firmly would do the trick or at least cause second thoughts about doing it again.

Ultimately, it would be nice finding out who is behind all of this and exposing them.

I've never really understood or liked the role Ambassadors play. I believe they should be there to protect their citizens when something out of the ordinary happens, but having a say in how a place is or should change to be, is something I believe they should have no right to meddle in.

I can't see logically why it should be any bodies business but that of the Thai people. It is our choice if we want to travel to Phuket the way it is, and it should be the choice of Thai people if they want it changed.

The politician in question may not be an unmovable object. Central government should be brought in "now". After all, Phuket is Democrat, so the government will be glad to get one over the Democrat politician in question.

I've never really understood or liked the role Ambassadors play. I believe they should be there to protect their citizens when something out of the ordinary happens, but having a say in how a place is or should change to be, is something I believe they should have no right to meddle in.

I think it is a courtesy of the Ambassador to inform Phuket officials that if they don't clean up their act they will lose tourists.

I can't see logically why it should be any bodies business but that of the Thai people. It is our choice if we want to travel to Phuket the way it is, and it should be the choice of Thai people if they want it changed.

If Dutch tourists are getting ripped off by Thais it is the Dutch Ambassadors business. It would only be the Thais business if the Thais only ripped-off other Thais.

Why don't they find this "influential person" and take him down a few notches and put an end to the "Cartel" since it seems to be causing international problems and causes loss of face so often for Thais.. Seems everyone down there is afraid of their skin or somebodies skin(s).

Up to third world status? Maybe not! It's sad that something this trivial continues.

I don't see that the ambassador was trying to say how Phuket should be run. He was simply reiterating to the Governor what loads of people have been saying about Thailand's over-developed southern island cesspool for ages. Perhaps he felt that the message coming from someone of influential status would help to get some action -- something that has failed to happen yet.

Due to the horrible attitudes and extreme greed of the local business people there, I wrote Phuket off any future travel plans a long time ago, so I really couldn't care less if it drops off into the ocean never to be seen again, but it seems the Dutch Ambassador cares. I wonder if he'll catch on before his posting ends that positive change is not likely to ever happen in Phuket.

Edited by Wavefloater

What about indeed protecting Dutch nationals, before or after the facts?

What about a reaction to complaints made by Dutch nationals to their ministry of foreign affairs?

Would that be reason enough for the Ambassador to talk to the Governor?

Or maybe, just maybe, the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs guided the Ambassador to the Governor?

Bring in the army? Well, we have to admit they're adept at coups and replacing governments. Throw a Phuket coup and start by replacing the police. Second, dethrone the "influential family" and sever their controlling ties. Although not a final solution, maybe a good start. Witness the puppet Abhisit government finally transitioning to an elected government this year. Hope springs eternal!

Edited by Fookhaht

I don't see that the ambassador was trying to say how Phuket should be run. He was simply reiterating to the Governor what loads of people have been saying about Thailand's over-developed southern island cesspool for ages. Perhaps he felt that the message coming from someone of influential status would help to get some action -- something that has failed to happen yet.

Due to the horrible attitudes and extreme greed of the local business people there, I wrote Phuket off any future travel plans a long time ago, so I really couldn't care less if it drops off into the ocean never to be seen again, but it seems the Dutch Ambassador cares. I wonder if he'll catch on before his posting ends that positive change is not likely to ever happen in Phuket.

You're kind of making my point there. The Thais will change things if and when they want to. Nothing any ambassador says ever makes a difference, and nor should it. Grown ups make their own decissions about where to visit, and they make decisions whether to visit for a second time or not. I don't see what anything has to do with any foriegner. If someone gets hurt badly and needs help or wrongfully inprissoned or something, then fair enough, other than that they should butt out.

What about indeed protecting Dutch nationals, before or after the facts?

What about a reaction to complaints made by Dutch nationals to their ministry of foreign affairs?

If people need baby sitting then they shouldn't travel abroad. Like I said, important things yes, trivial, everyday holiday matters, no.

I wouldn't hold your breath.

The answer to the problem of tourists cars being damaged by locals when parked in public parking spaces was to find the tourists somewhere else to park! :lol:

Problem solved. :thumbsup:

When you say public parking, that's not strictly true is it. There are no Pay and Display signs or painted lines on the floor indicating seperate bays. What you in fact mean, is areas with no designated purpose, having been commandeered by the local taxi drivers. There is a difference, and seeing as there is plenty of other parking available, more so than a lot of busy tourist towns you visit, I don't see what the problem is.

People need to be left to vote with their feet. Ask the few thousand marines when they leave, if Phuket is either the dogs danglies or if it has lots of problems that need a suit to come and sort out, and I think you will get a very one sided answer. Most people are having way too much fun on Phuket to worry about the small issues, and like I said, those that don't probably shouldn't have travelled out of the safety and security of their own country.

I agree completely. The ambassador, as government employee of a Euro member state had to tell: "Citizens, remind your own interests, spend your holiday and retirement money in your own economic zone, support the future of your children and grand children. Go to Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal. There you as EU citizen are protected by police and law, and you are very much welcomed. Your house and land stays always yours, is very cheap now, all will ever stay yours same as your business. NO NEED TO DO ALL KINDS OF TRICKY THINGS, as all your property is 100% legal.

Do NOT overcrowd Thai pubs and restaurants, avoid being overasked to pay for taxi and tuk-tuk drivers, you do not need to pay higher prices as locals, do not mess up with Thais to overfill their beached and parking places, do NOT disturb them with your spending and leave them as they are."

I wouldn't hold your breath.

The answer to the problem of tourists cars being damaged by locals when parked in public parking spaces was to find the tourists somewhere else to park! :lol:

And that somewhere else is the Jungceylon car park (if in Patong). Plenty of spaces, and cheap, even free for 3 hours if you show a receipt for 100 baht spent anywhere in the mall. problem solved... :D

It's not that hard to find a place to park outside Patong.

I agree completely. The ambassador, as government employee of a Euro member state had to tell: "Citizens, remind your own interests, spend your holiday and retirement money in your own economic zone, support the future of your children and grand children. Go to Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal. There you as EU citizen are protected by police and law, and you are very much welcomed. Your house and land stays always yours, is very cheap now, all will ever stay yours same as your business. NO NEED TO DO ALL KINDS OF TRICKY THINGS, as all your property is 100% legal.

Do NOT overcrowd Thai pubs and restaurants, avoid being overasked to pay for taxi and tuk-tuk drivers, you do not need to pay higher prices as locals, do not mess up with Thais to overfill their beached and parking places, do NOT disturb them with your spending and leave them as they are."

I don't understand this post. I'm detecting a hint of sarcasm but can't make head nor tail of it.

I don't understand this post. I'm detecting a hint of sarcasm but can't make head nor tail of it.

If you can't understand the sarcasm in this post, that's proof you've been in Phuket far too long. lol

If you can't understand the sarcasm in this post, that's proof you've been in Phuket far too long. lol

Read my post. I quite clearly said that I detected sarcasm. It just wasn't written very articulately, or humorously, so it made me less than 100% sure of what he was trying to say. ;)

Wouldn't it be glorious to see the military come in the next time the tuk tuk mafia decides that they want to blockade somewhere? The chances of the tuk tuk cowards standing up when the odds are overwhelmingly on their side are slim to absolutely none.

I'm guessing that standing up to them once really firmly would do the trick or at least cause second thoughts about doing it again.

Ultimately, it would be nice finding out who is behind all of this and exposing them.

Looks like this Tri bloke works for the same invisible hand as the tuk-tuks. He certainly doesn't work for the tourism trade. No worries, the tour ops abroad will shut the destination down and everybody can argue over 100% of zero. Khonkaen brought in meter taxis because the tuk-tuks were getting out of hand and now the tuk-tuks have all but disappeared because a ride that used to cost upwards of 150-200 baht in a tuk-tuk (lake to airport), is now 100 baht max in a new air-conditioned taxi.

. No worries, the tour ops abroad will shut the destination down and everybody can argue over 100% of zero.

:lol: Yeah course they will.

Khonkaen brought in meter taxis because the tuk-tuks were getting out of hand and now the tuk-tuks have all but disappeared because a ride that used to cost upwards of 150-200 baht in a tuk-tuk (lake to airport), is now 100 baht max in a new air-conditioned taxi.

Any theory that starts by comparing Phuket and Khon Kaen as like for like, is prettty much doomed I'm afraid. ;)

Khonkaen brought in meter taxis because the tuk-tuks were getting out of hand and now the tuk-tuks have all but disappeared because a ride that used to cost upwards of 150-200 baht in a tuk-tuk (lake to airport), is now 100 baht max in a new air-conditioned taxi.

Any theory that starts by comparing Phuket and Khon Kaen as like for like, is prettty much doomed I'm afraid. ;)

Got to agree with you BTB ......