No Sign Of Any Leadership Quality From Yingluck

webfact

EDITORIAL

No sign of any leadership quality from Yingluck

By The Nation

This week's parliamentary debate on the government's policy statement will be a complete disappointment to most of the country's electorate

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's leadership came under public scrutiny during the two-day parliamentary debate that ended yesterday. And our verdict says that the public deserves much more from our politicians.

The public was entitled to hear the government outline its visions as well as its priorities. And how the government will lead the country forward in the direction that it promised voters during the election campaign. However, the public has not heard from government politicians about whether and how they will implement the policies and schemes they have promised. Many parts of the parliamentary debate involved tit-for-tat exchanges of words by politicians from different sides of the divide.

At times the opposition players questioned certain conflict-of-interest issues as if they were in a censure debate. The session had some moments, though. An exchange between Finance Minister Thirachai Phuvanatnaranubala and former finance minister Korn Chatikavanij on Tuesday showed the different schools of thought over fiscal disciplinary practices between these key economic ministers of the current and preceding governments.

Prime Minister Yingluck and her Cabinet members were forced to play a defensive role over certain issues such as the Bt300 minimum wage promise, the Bt15,000 minimum monthly salary for new graduates and the issue of computer tablets for all elementary school students. The Yingluck government seemed to backtrack from its original campaign promises by playing with words. Commerce Minister Kittirat na Ranong, for instance, seemed to back-pedal from Pheu Thai's wage promise, saying that the Bt300 figure was not for the minimum wage but total income.

It was also unfortunate that while both Yingluck and her Cabinet members acknowledged the possibility of an economic slowdown, they did not clearly outline their plans to be able to cope with such an eventuality.

Thirachai suggested he will try to use fiscal policy to stimulate the economy in response to the ongoing global economic turbulence. But he failed to acknowledge that Thailand's slower growth could also be a result of domestic structural problems and the country's eroding overall competitiveness. Excessive fiscal spending may therefore not be the right solution.

Instead of inflating the economy, the government should rather outline its plan to cope with the present economic woes by focusing on job creation and sustainable employment, not short-term populism, which could even result in job losses in the longer run. Neither did the public hear from the government on what it will do to improve education to enable our younger generations to be competitive in the future.

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung rambled on with his senseless speech and interrupted his opponents. Chalerm's old tactics might have worked a decade ago, but not now. The public no longer tolerates politicians who look down on their intelligence. Chalerm should realise that Bangkok voters dumped his son during the general election partly because they are sick of his verbal nonsense and political rhetoric.

Yingluck has failed to show the public any leadership quality. Many lenient critics gave her a pass, even though she was absent from many parts of this her first parliamentary debate. These critics defended her absence by saying that she is an inexperienced leader and a woman in what is generally a man's world. We beg to differ. We have high expectations of Yingluck, in exactly the same way as we have had of her predecessors. The electorate deserves nothing less. Yingluck's gender and her lack of experience are no excuse for her failure to perform her duty before Parliament, which is an essential part of the democratic system. A system that she has bought into.

Her defenders might argue that in spite of her absence, her people can take notes on her behalf. But the presence of the prime minister in a parliamentary debate is as significant as it is a symbolic gesture. The premier's presence in the House not only suggests his or her faith in the House system but also shows that the leader of the administration is listening to the people.

This parliamentary debate is a missed opportunity, as Yingluck has failed to outline the government's national priorities. Although she highlighted her 2012 "vision" on the campaign trail, she spent two hours reading the 44-page policy statement this week without conviction. Yingluck has missed the chance to show any leadership quality during this first round in the parliamentary ring, and she still has a lot to prove.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-25

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This week's parliamentary debate on the government's policy statement will be a complete disappointment to most of the country's electorate

It will come as a disappointment to 10% of the electorate.

The other 38% of the electorate that voted for PTP will make up excuses about her performance.

The 52% (most of the country's electorate) that didn't vote for PTP won't be disappointed at all. That's probably what they expected.

The other 38% of the electorate that voted for PTP will make up excuses about her performance.

The 52% (most of the country's electorate) that didn't vote for PTP won't be disappointed at all. That's probably what they expected.

Time will tell what the people think.

Yes, she is in hiding now..... come on girl... give the people their 300 bahts per day..! I want more Bahts for my dollars... ruin the Thai economy so we farangs can get a much better rate and many more young daughters on the game..! Amazing Thailand..!

Exactly. Most people dont spend much time thinking or discussing politics or watching it on the TV. They have more important things to do. By the next election they should be able to judge government and opposition performance.

This parliamentary debate is a missed opportunity, as Yingluck has failed

Set the bar low enough and you have justification for returning Maew to the position.

Yesterday or the day before he told the Times that if the Thai people wanted him to return as PM he wouldnt be able to say no. Interestingly I havent seen that reported in Thai papers yet

As disastrous British labour MP once said "A week is a long time in politics" he was to resign in mysterious circumstances not long after.

Set the bar low enough and you have justification for returning Maew to the position.

Yesterday or the day before he told the Times that if the Thai people wanted him to return as PM he wouldnt be able to say no. Interestingly I havent seen that reported in Thai papers yet

No better way for there to be clamoring for his return than to have a completely incompetent clone in charge.

A relatively few more months of this and indeed the Billionaire Thaksin will be back and not only to attend his Billionaire Daughter's wedding.

Incidentally, he has made similar earlier claims of returning when the people demand it.

"Thaksin, who arrived in Japan on Monday, told reporters that he has no plans to return to Thailand unless there is reconciliation in the country's polarized political climate - something he said was "not there."

"I don't want to fuel any more conflict," Thaksin said. "I just want to be part of the solution, not part of the problems."

He also said he was willing to do jail time if he actually committed a crime, but described the charges against him as politically motivated."

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/aug/23/ex-thai-pm-defends-contentious-trip-to-japan/

As disastrous British labour MP once said "A week is a long time in politics" he was to resign in mysterious circumstances not long after.

Nonsense.

The quote is from Harold Wilson, one of the longest serving and most politically astute British Prime Ministers

Nonsense.

The quote is from Harold Wilson, one of the longest serving and most politically astute British Prime Ministers

Harold Wilson seems to be the first to have said this. Others followed in either saying the same, or making it part of their week of glory:

"Conservative candidate Ivor Tiefenbrun resigns over insult to Scots

They say a week is a long time in politics, however, for Ivor Tiefenbrun three days is enough.

On Monday he was the Conservative candidate for Glasgow Maryhill and Springburn.

On Tuesday, he insulted Scots while at the same time defending Margaret Thatcher in an interview published in The Scotsman.

On Wednesday, he has to resign as the Conservative candidate for Glasgow Maryhill and Springburn."

Edited by rubl

Harold Wilson seems to be the first to have said this. Others followed in either saying the same, or making it part of their week of glory:

"Conservative candidate Ivor Tiefenbrun resigns over insult to Scots

They say a week is a long time in politics, however, for Ivor Tiefenbrun three days is enough.

On Monday he was the Conservative candidate for Glasgow Maryhill and Springburn.

On Tuesday, he insulted Scots while at the same time defending Margaret Thatcher in an interview published in The Scotsman.

On Wednesday, he has to resign as the Conservative candidate for Glasgow Maryhill and Springburn."

Good thing the great Samuel Johnson was never a candidate for parliament

"The noblest prospect which a Scotsman ever sees, is the high road that leads him to England!"

Good thing the great Samuel Johnson was never a candidate for parliament

"The noblest prospect which a Scotsman ever sees, is the high road that leads him to England!"

He also had a comment on Yingluck:

"Sir, a woman's preaching is like a dog's walking on his hind legs. It is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all."

And the red shirts leaders:

"How is it that we hear the loudest yelps for liberty among the drivers of negroes?"

"Thaksin, who arrived in Japan on Monday, told reporters that he has no plans to return to Thailand unless there is reconciliation in the country's polarized political climate - something he said was "not there."

"I don't want to fuel any more conflict," Thaksin said. "I just want to be part of the solution, not part of the problems."

He also said he was willing to do jail time if he actually committed a crime, but described the charges against him as politically motivated."

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/aug/23/ex-thai-pm-defends-contentious-trip-to-japan/

You obviously didnt see the interview with Richard Lloyd Parry that is in the Times (behind a pay wall)

Edited to add: Here is one of the tasters that Parry put on his twitter feed which is open for all to see: "If it’s the wish of the people [that I become PM] I have to express my gratitude by taking it”

Edited to add: obviously not returning now etc and this statement are not mutually exclusive of each other as no time frame is given

Edited by Maestro
Added link to cited tweet.

He also had a comment on Yingluck:

"Sir, a woman's preaching is like a dog's walking on his hind legs. It is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all."

And the red shirts leaders:

"How is it that we hear the loudest yelps for liberty among the drivers of negroes?"

Both great quotations from I think one of the greatest Englishman.I have marked your use of them

In the context you use them, the first is perfectly fair - sarcastic but not insulting, and with a sting too.Alpha question mark minus.

The second reference you frankly doesn't make much sense in the context of the red shirt leaders.Are you saying that their invocation of democracy is false because they are just "using" their supporters for selfish ends.Ok but frankly rather thin and not really focused.Beta double minus question mark minus.

You obviously didnt see the interview with Richard Lloyd Parry that is in the Times (behind a pay wall)

Edited to add: Here is one of the tasters that Parry put on his titter feed which is open for all to see: "If it’s the wish of the people [that I become PM] I have to express my gratitude by taking it”

Edited to add: obviously not returning now etc and this statement are not mutually exclusive of each other as no time frame is given

K. Thaksin has given a few interviews, or was interviewed while traveling. What k. Thaksin said is reported in various ways. Nuances vary. Cutting to the essentials it seems we have

- I'm waiting for the call to return and take the helm again in a very democratic manner.

- my sentencing was politically motivated

All of k. Thaksin's travels and the publicity around it seem to aim at legitimising the 'poor Thaksin, give him a fair chance' and increasing his statute in the eyes of certain people. If only wikileaks had some nice new tit bits ;)

Edited by rubl

Headline

"No sign of any leadership quality from Yingluck"

Because she's not a leader, she never was a leader and when the dust has settled will be replaced, That was the plan of PT/Thaksin the day they selected her as the face of her party during the election . Some people are so naive.

Edited by KKvampire

Headline

Because she's not a leader, she never was a leader and when the dust has settled will be replaced, That was the plan of PT/Thaksin the day they selected her as the face of her party during the election . Some people are so naive.

People are not naive, everyone knows full well she was used to win the election with her femininity and good looks, but people are taking her words about governing from Bangkok at face value.

If she openly said ,'I haven't a clue, I'm just a puppet', she would have to resign.

So she continues the farce, but it's going to be a while, at least until the 111 are free to resume politics in May or after a new constitution which is at least a year away.

As mentioned, a week is a long time in politics!

http://www.signonsan...-trip-to-japan/

" Thaksin said. "I just want to be part of the solution, not part of the problems."

I support this whole-heartedly, to the extent that I would supply the acid to dissolve him!:D

I watched her performance during her address in the parliamentary debate live on TV and all she did was read from notes.Not even capable of looking up occasionally to interact with her opposition. Not the qualities of a politician which usaually shoot from the hip with out the need for a book of A4 size notes.

This shows that she has NO knowledge on the matters she is putting forward. She is a blatant political puppet. :bah: FAIL!!!

Headline

People are not naive, everyone knows full well she was used to win the election with her femininity and good looks, but people are taking her words about governing from Bangkok at face value.

If she openly said ,'I haven't a clue, I'm just a puppet', she would have to resign.

So she continues the farce, but it's going to be a while, at least until the 111 are free to resume politics in May or after a new constitution which is at least a year away.

Maybe not TV posters but a chunk of the uneducated, blindy loyal faithful in Siam are a bit naive,

I watched her performance during her address in the parliamentary debate live on TV and all she did was read from notes.Not even capable of looking up occasionally to interact with her opposition. Not the qualities of a politician which usaually shoot from the hip with out the need for a book of A4 size notes.

This shows that she has NO knowledge on the matters she is putting forward. She is a blatant political puppet. :bah: FAIL!!!

I'm more surprised PM Yingluck didn't use an iPad or something similar to read her statement from. It would have shown the usefulness of the device. A further plus is the ability to size the text to what is agreeable to the (particular) eye ;)

Headline

Maybe not TV posters but a chunk of the uneducated, blindy loyal faithful in Siam are a bit naive,

Exactly, at that is what Thaksin banked on. Apisit overestimated the political savviness of the population, he thought they would use common sense and realise the Democrat policies were more realistic.

The headline "If people wish it I’ll return to lead again — I owe them, says Thaksin" is here. The article itself would be viewable only against payment.

I'm afraid this is all starting to look like part of the planned scheme.

As we know, culturally, Southeast Asians have a tendency to prefer STRONG leaders.

Yingluck is as blatant a cipher as any fiction writer could make up.

Of course, many (not all) voted for her deliberately to act for Thaksin.

But it is now looking as if she is simply not even competent enough to pull off an ACT of being her own person, which could have worked to balance the desires of both those who want him back to lead and those who will likely riot if he does.

So, I reckon the plan is that there will be stronger and stronger pressure to bring back Thaksin, to fill a power vacuum. A leader who isn't really there. A power vacuum is damaging for any country, and it will be easier to push Thaksin coming supported by that new political reality.

He's very clever, isn't he?

So, I reckon the plan is that there will be stronger and stronger pressure to bring back Thaksin, to fill a power vacuum. A leader who isn't really there. A power vacuum is damaging for any country, and it will be easier to push Thaksin coming supported by that new political reality.

Another, more democratic scenario would be for Ms. Yingluck to step down and the parliament electing a new PM. PM Yingluck might even call for new elections :lol:

Another, more democratic scenario would be for Ms. Yingluck to step down and the parliament electing a new PM. PM Yingluck might even call for new elections :lol:

I don't think that's what Thaksin paid for.

Here's another potential theory. Perhaps she IS competent to act like she is her own person when she isn't, or even competent enough to actually BE her own person and leader, but instead, the job description is ACT like she isn't? In any case, the all so important APPEARANCE is obvious incompetence with no credible evidence of potential improvement.

Edited by Jingthing