Quest For Small Appliances

DowntownAl

I am on a quest for breakfast. I have read about a few good choices around CM but I want my own coffee in my own little hovel. The problem is I am downtown on Loikroh soi 2 and there is nothing I can find anywhere in walking distance, including a small appliance place; coffee machine, toaster etc. and then I can’t even find a small grocery that has toilet paper or coffee. What a whiner huh? Any help would be appreciated by my getting to be sore and tired feet.

"I can't even find a small grocery that has toilet paper or coffee".

Not even a 7/11?

I have found about 4 micro 7/11s and they have nothing but junk food :-(. I haven't covered the whole area but things are getting close...if you know what I mean...

Not even a 7/11?

I have found about 4 micro 7/11s and they have nothing but junk food :-(. I haven't covered the whole area but things are getting close...if you know what I mean...

But they have coffee and toilet paper.

Why not hire a songthaew and do a 'one off' trip to one of the big places and buy everything you need?

Not even a 7/11?

Why not hire a songthaew and do a 'one off' trip to one of the big places and buy everything you need?

Thanks for the info but, I have one little problem, since I was born yesterday...er...I mean just got here yesterday, I don't know what a songthaew is. :(

Not even a 7/11?

Thanks for the info but, I have one little problem, since I was born yesterday...er...I mean just got here yesterday, I don't know what a songthaew is. :(

One of those red pick up things you see everywhere. You can hop on one for short distances or hire one to wait for you.

Edited by uptheos

If you are able to find the Shangri-La Hotel on Chang Clan Road (where the night bazaar is) you can go to the Expat club meeting on August 27th at 10.00 am and ask questions and be given the low-down on how to get around in C.M, where to shop, etc. etc.

If you cannot find the hotel, you can go to the Expat Club website, and ask specific questions without getting the run around.

Let me apologize on behalf of everyone else for the terse responses. :) I think the assumption was that you are a resident, not someone who recently arrived.

If I understand your post correctly, you would like to purchase a coffee machine, a toaster or mini-oven, water cooker and so on right?

In that case, proceed as follows:

1. Walk either to the moat, or to Sridonchai road. (Not sure which is closest from Loi Kroh Soi 2).

2. You will see some red colored pick-up trucks passing by, with benches in the back. If you picked Sridonchai road, then make sure to cross the road, so that you are on the side of the road where traffic moves in the direction of the mountain.

3. Flag one down, tell the driver "Siam TV" (Sa-Yahm-Tee-Wee).

4. Driver will nod, just get in. Resist any attempts to discuss price; if price becomes a topic, get the next one.

5. Driver will let you off after about a 3 minute drive, in front of a really big store selling TV's and electronics. Go up to the second floor where the small kitchenwares are.

6. Shopping spree!

7. Take a Red Bus back. It's probably easiest if you cross to the other side of the moat from Siam TV, as all of the Red Buses will be going the other way, so you'll get more joy if you cross first. if your place was closest to Sridonchai Road then I'd tell the driver 'Thanon Sridonchai' or 'Suriwong Book Center' (which is on Sridonchai road, then hit the buzzer near your soi.)

EDIT: As you're still exploring town probably, you might as well walk; it's that close. And Siam TV will also delivery stuff to your door. Siam TV is here:

post-115706-0-77814100-1314333627_thumb.

And this has the added advantage that you will pass Chiang Mai Gate Market, where you can buy all the groceries you can imagine. There is a Tesco Express mini-supermarket there too. Or take a Red Bus (Songthaew) all the way to Rim Ping Supermarket, that's more of a western style supermarket with a lot of imported food. Then after shopping there, cross the main road, visit Niyom Phanich and buy a motorbike. :)

Edited by CheGuava

Let me apologize on behalf of everyone else for the terse responses.

Don't bloody well apologise for me!

I wasn't being Terse, I mentioned 7/11 regarding toilet paper & coffee

I suggested a songthaew to do everything in one go.

I did assume that anyone new to Chiang Mai, would first and foremost find out what transport options there are, as with most new places.

Let me apologize on behalf of everyone else for the terse responses. :) I think the assumption was that you are a resident, not someone who recently arrived.

If I understand your post correctly, you would like to purchase a coffee machine, a toaster or mini-oven, water cooker and so on right?

In that case, proceed as follows:

1. Walk either to the moat, or to Sridonchai road. (Not sure which is closest from Loi Kroh Soi 2).

2. You will see some red colored pick-up trucks passing by, with benches in the back. If you picked Sridonchai road, then make sure to cross the road, so that you are on the side of the road where traffic moves in the direction of the mountain.

3. Flag one down, tell the driver "Siam TV" (Sa-Yahm-Tee-Wee).

4. Driver will nod, just get in. Resist any attempts to discuss price; if price becomes a topic, get the next one.

5. Driver will let you off after about a 3 minute drive, in front of a really big store selling TV's and electronics. Go up to the second floor where the small kitchenwares are.

6. Shopping spree!

7. Take a Red Bus back. It's probably easiest if you cross to the other side of the moat from Siam TV, as all of the Red Buses will be going the other way, so you'll get more joy if you cross first. if your place was closest to Sridonchai Road then I'd tell the driver 'Thanon Sridonchai' or 'Suriwong Book Center' (which is on Sridonchai road, then hit the buzzer near your soi.)

EDIT: As you're still exploring town probably, you might as well walk; it's that close. And Siam TV will also delivery stuff to your door. Siam TV is here:

post-115706-0-77814100-1314333627_thumb.

And this has the added advantage that you will pass Chiang Mai Gate Market, where you can buy all the groceries you can imagine. There is a Tesco Express mini-supermarket there too. Or take a Red Bus (Songthaew) all the way to Rim Ping Supermarket, that's more of a western style supermarket with a lot of imported food. Then after shopping there, cross the main road, visit Niyom Phanich and buy a motorbike. :)

I think you have solved all my problems. I’ll probably walk there (Siam TV) and bus back. I see your point in crossing the moat, I wondered why the cab from the airport took the route he did, now I know. Thanks a ton.

I want to thank everyone for all your information. Since I just got here yesterday I have now learned the names and utilities of the local transportation options from this post. Thanks to all. I do, as one poster suggested, like to explore on foot. One gains the most information and learns local landmarks best that way. BTW - I finally found the TP at the 6th 7/ll I've come across…whew! Now onwards and upwards…so to speak.

P.S. This is absolutely the greatest forum on the planet!

Appliance quest complete with coffee machine and toaster in hand, except there is the stuff I forgot, such as a power converter and an extension cord or two. Forgot to look so I don't know for sure if they have them or not. The only market I saw was a big open air Thai market, most of which was closed when I was there around 3:30. I'd probably have a hard time buying there without a guide. Tomorrow off the Expats club to fill in a few other knowledge holes. All in all, thanks for much info here, pretty good for my first two days. Life is good!

:D

Edited by DowntownAl

Great instructions from Che. When we first moved here, all the Thai people kept telling us "Big C" or "Tesco Lotus", when we asked about where to buy stuff. It took us over a year to discover Siam TV. Of course, all the Thai people had motorcycles or cars so shopping around the ring roads was their first choice.

The folks at the Expats Club should be a big help, if you're outgoing and talk to several people -- not just one of the old-timers who sit at the back tables and have forgotten what it was like to be a newcomer. Don't overlook the western women -- we definitely know where to buy stuff -- it's our hobby!

Edited by NancyL

Appliance quest complete with coffee machine and toaster in hand, except there is the stuff I forgot, such as a power converter and an extension cord or two. Forgot to look so I don't know for sure if they have them or not. The only market I saw was a big open air Thai market, most of which was closed when I was there around 3:30. I'd probably have a hard time buying there without a guide. Tomorrow off the Expats club to fill in a few other knowledge holes. All in all, thanks for much info here, pretty good for my first two days. Life is good!

:D

You are a very fast learner! Congratulations are in order.

As for your random electrical items not purchased, you're close enough to Panthip Plaza at the corner of Chang Klan and Sridonchai. One of the electronics doodads sellers should be able to complete your project.