Halt To Oil Levy Approved: Thailand

webfact

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuel products have always been considered a tax tit for governments; good to see at least one government weaning themselves and allowing the money to stay in the peoples' pockets.

Any government can basically only take in (through taxes) and give out (running the country) money on a break-even basis. If they reduce the tax on fuel they will either have to reign in spending, or take it back in a different way. Same goes for the increase in basic wage (which is a great idea). But there's no free lunches (despite what the government will promise in an election). It's all a money-go-round, and if they reduce the fuel tax they will find another way to increase taxes elsewhere.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not recall any government anywhere in the world reducing a tax on gasoline in the whole of human (gasoline) history.

This is insane at a time when all Thai towns and cities have polluted air from clogged roadways. Any responsible government should be increasing taxes to reduce dependence on vehicles, whether two- or four-wheeled. (Or three with some tuk-tuks.) With extra taxes you can begin the much-needed modernisation of the rail system.

Reduced use of vehicles might also lead to better health. Btw, how often do you see a Thai person walking in the city. I am in Chiang Mai, and the only people I see walking are farangs like myself (breathing in the diesel fumes as I wait for traffic lights to change....)

Are you serious? Or was that comment a joke? The reduction in fuel prices will stimulate the economy and benefit all Thais. Do you use a bicycle? Do you recycle all of your waste? Do you use the same plastic bags for years, and forbid all of the stores that you shop in to give you plastic containers of any sort? If not, just keep quiet, and enjoy the benefit to the country. You have some very bad perspective on things. At this time of celebration, you are raining on the parade. Get a life please.

Also in Thailand there's three types of weather, very hot, even hotter and raining so who can blame people for not wanting to walk anywhere? In the UK when it reaches 30oC people drop dead from heat exhaustion so I think the Thais are holding up pretty well with their mopeds and cars!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not recall any government anywhere in the world reducing a tax on gasoline in the whole of human (gasoline) history.

This is insane at a time when all Thai towns and cities have polluted air from clogged roadways. Any responsible government should be increasing taxes to reduce dependence on vehicles, whether two- or four-wheeled. (Or three with some tuk-tuks.) With extra taxes you can begin the much-needed modernisation of the rail system.

Reduced use of vehicles might also lead to better health. Btw, how often do you see a Thai person walking in the city. I am in Chiang Mai, and the only people I see walking are farangs like myself (breathing in the diesel fumes as I wait for traffic lights to change....)

Are you serious? Or was that comment a joke? The reduction in fuel prices will stimulate the economy and benefit all Thais. Do you use a bicycle? Do you recycle all of your waste? Do you use the same plastic bags for years, and forbid all of the stores that you shop in to give you plastic containers of any sort? If not, just keep quiet, and enjoy the benefit to the country. You have some very bad perspective on things. At this time of celebration, you are raining on the parade. Get a life please.

Are you serious? Or was that comment a joke? Have you ever heard of peak oil? Have you been paying attention the last few years regarding the volatility in the oil price? This is a disastrous move that will have serious ramifications the next time a real spike hits. The ethanol industry needs to be protected right now so it will be there later when we need it. What good is stimulating an economy today when it means destroying it tomorrow? You have some very bad perspective on things. At this time of disaster, you are being ridiculous. Get a life please.

Edited by gregb

Fuel products have always been considered a tax tit for governments; good to see at least one government weaning themselves and allowing the money to stay in the peoples' pockets.

Any government can basically only take in (through taxes) and give out (running the country) money on a break-even basis. If they reduce the tax on fuel they will either have to reign in spending, or take it back in a different way. Same goes for the increase in basic wage (which is a great idea). But there's no free lunches (despite what the government will promise in an election). It's all a money-go-round, and if they reduce the fuel tax they will find another way to increase taxes elsewhere.

Or Thailand's economy is booming at the moment and some of that wealth is being filtered down to the man on the street. Well done Yingluck this is why you won the election!

not a correction, but walking can go for short distance and take time. trucking company have to carry goods down to bankok. that helps a lot with prices dropped.

Retailers get compensated. I really, really like that as it must have been working the other way round in the past. I remember gas stations not selling gas immediately prior to an increase. And there were no "officials" in sight taking stock hence I assume that they were all just too honest and reported their stock in order to pay the higher taxes on the remaining stock. Or am I getting this all wrong again? What happens with kerosene? It might interest the Air Force.

Are you serious? Or was that comment a joke? Have you ever heard of peak oil? Have you been paying attention the last few years regarding the volatility in the oil price? This is a disastrous move that will have serious ramifications the next time a real spike hits. The ethanol industry needs to be protected right now so it will be there later when we need it. What good is stimulating an economy today when it means destroying it tomorrow? You have some very bad perspective on things. At this time of disaster, you are being ridiculous. Get a life please.

Are you serious? Or was that comment a joke? Ethanol will never be the future of transportation fuel as to produce enough of it to power all our cars globally it would take up too much agricultural space. Efficient electric fuel cells are what the cars of the future will have with the power supply coming from wind and solar or god help us nuclear. Ethanol....are you having a laugh?

It is not a tax it a levy collected to subsidize petrol when world oild prices are too high. It acted to stabilize prices. Sure, there will be an immediate benefit , but now there will be nothing in the kitty should oil prices spiral up again in the future. Next time oil moves up you'll see the highest prices at the pump ever.

I'm not going to correct you as you are not wrong!!! This is Yingluck logic in operation - we will have to get used to her stupid policies until the people realise they made the wrong choice and correct their mistake - in whatever form that takes to bring normality back and remove Pheu Thai from government as they are incompetent beyond belief and should not be running the country as they are not fit to!!!!:(

God knows what rediculous, brainless ideas they are going to implement next. Nothing would surprise me now as I am well past that point and just accept it!! It doesn't really have any bearing on my life and is only going to worsen those people's lives that voted them in - they must reap what they have sown, what should I care!!:jap:

Are you serious? Or was that comment a joke? Ethanol will never be the future of transportation fuel as to produce enough of it to power all our cars globally it would take up too much agricultural space. Efficient electric fuel cells are what the cars of the future will have with the power supply coming from wind and solar or god help us nuclear. Ethanol....are you having a laugh?

You clearly didn't read any of my previous posts where I quite clearly said 10% of Thailand's liquid fuel supply.

And yes, 10% is a good buffer against oil shocks. Electric vehicles will not make a significant contribution to transport in my lifetime or yours. You are correct there is not enough to run the global fleet on ethanol. It isn't intended to do that. It is intended to stretch dwindling oil supplies further.

I am not having a laugh, but apparently the current government is when they don't take the looming energy crisis seriously. This is a disaster of a policy.

It is not a tax it a levy collected to subsidize petrol when world oild prices are too high. It acted to stabilize prices. Sure, there will be an immediate benefit , but now there will be nothing in the kitty should oil prices spiral up again in the future. Next time oil moves up you'll see the highest prices at the pump ever.

It's called "short-sightedness" to create the feel-good factor. Long term, this has the potential to be disastrous for Thailand and will be costly to resolve - I just hope that Yingluck's government in still in power when it comes to putting it right simply to show the people that putting an incompetent government in power will come back to haunt them!!!:lol:

The price of gasohol has not been reduced.

Only 91 and 95 octane petrol is reduced. which will assist the motorbike maniacs, but be of little use to the majority of car users. 95 octane petrol is now very hard to find.

If your car runs on Gasohol it will run on 91 or 95 Octane

I have a 16 year old Honda phantom it runs on anything offered at petrol station except diesel the same goes with my 20 year old Caribbean

mmmmmm

gas prices down = less revenue for infrastructure

labour wages up 40% = inflation across the board, increased prices on all goods including exports

well done

what about free pizza for everyone on Fridays

or get Starbucks to lower the price of their over prices coffee

what next bring back big brother

I will just need to compare the pump prices... if Gasoline prices are the same or only slightly higher than Gasohol prices I will be switching to Gasoline...

I assume that many others will do the same. So all this really does is remove the incentive for people to use alternative fuels...

Only 91 and 95 octane petrol is reduced. which will assist the motorbike maniacs, but be of little use to the majority of car users. 95 octane petrol is now very hard to find.

I have a 16 year old Honda phantom it runs on anything offered at petrol station except diesel the same goes with my 20 year old Caribbean

Speaking to an employee at PTT my understanding is that Benzene 91 has a better fuel consumption rate of between 10-20% in comparison to Gasahol 91; thus I will be using Benzene in preference to Gasahol 91 even though it costs a few Stang more!

What's wrong with nuclear???? If nuclear power stations are built on land unaffected by fault lines and with zero history of earthquakes then it is the safest and cleanest fuel on the earth.

Germanies stance in planning to stand down a number of their older reactors and decommission the others in the future makes no sense whatsoever and is one of the most rediculous policy changes I can remember They, like France, are very heavily dependant on nuclear energy and to fill the void they will probably have to buy NUCLEAR energy from France at inflated prices as they will be energy deficient for years to come.

Even taking into account ALL of the isolated nuclear accidents (Fukashima should never have been built by the way) the impact on the world's health is so infinitesimaly infinitesimal compared to the damage that coal. oil and other fossil fuels have inflicted on our bodies for centuries. Just think at how much it has cost health services all over the world and you will realise just how rediculous, unjustified, irresponsible and futile Germany's latest stance on nuclear is!!!

Before slating me for highlighting the virtues of nuclear over other fuels think about what I've just written first. If you still disagree then by all means try to convince me that I'm wrong on this. I doubt that your arguments will stand up to mine though!!!!B)

Why does radiation strike the fear of god into people??? For goodness sake!! we are exposed to radiation every second of our lives - we needn't be exposed to all of the highly toxic pollutants that are pumped out of cars, factories and power stations, yes, every second of the day, however. Build nuclear power stations in safe and stable locations and plant trees all over the world and EVERYONE's health would IMPROVE markedly - it would literally be a "breath of fresh air" and no I'm not a paid advocate of the nuclear industry - just someone who thinks that the hysteria surrounding nuclear power is over-hyped, unjust and unwarranted and makes no sense at all!!!:jap:

Edited by SICHONSTEVE
  • Like 1

They run BUT they are NOT designed to use gasohol. Your carb rubbers and hoses are breaking down and if left you will get a residue in the carbs....just saying B)

very goods news, for a change.

this would, hopefully, lower down prices of goods, especially foods, spiralling up for the last 3 years.

a fast move from the government to boost the grow of the oil dependent economy. They still have to figure out, what alternative energy sources they are going to promote, to prevent thailand from future oil price hikes on the global markets

Londonthai,

I'm a bit behind reading the newspapers... but "in the other English language newspaper" (not to be named...), I read in the 23rd or 24th business section that a solar company was to invest at least 100M Baht for solar voltaic panel manufacturing plant here - NB: Thailand is actually on top of the pile as far as alternatives in SE Asia. SORRY - I didn't put any links in....

This reduction is political bullshit... The only cars that NEED normal benzine are the older cars and bikes with carbs and exotic cars like Ferrari's etc.

By also reducing diesel they can hide the saving they themselves are gaining... who else but the elite (politicians) have exotic cars.

All right!!! Just went and filled-up the Toyota Fortuner with diesel. The fillup cost me about 180 baht less...now I can go out and buy a couple of small trees to plant to satisfy the tree huggers; or just go to Lotus and buy a 180 baht more of stuff....but that would mean I would get charged the 7% VAT so I don't want to do that because that gives more tax money back to the govt. I know, I'll just go to the local market and buy a 180 baht more vegetables and fish for the dinner table. Or maybe just save that 180 baht towards the next purchase of diesel....or my god, if I do that Thailand will use a little more diesel, the worldwide price of oil will shoot up again and it will increase global warming. So, I guess I better go buy some small trees....and I don't think the tree guy charges VAT.

Edited by Pib

Well you asked ----- you are corrected you are wrong!!!

Circa 1984 Saudi Arabia reduced the price of petrol aftera public outcry - FACT

:D

After that period, the Energy Fund Administration Institute (EFAI) will consider borrowing from financial institutions or issuing government bonds for an amount of Bt20 billion, which will be used to continue subsidies and will need to be approved by the EPPO.

Is this a sustainable policy?

After that period, the Energy Fund Administration Institute (EFAI) will consider borrowing from financial institutions or issuing government bonds for an amount of Bt20 billion, which will be used to continue subsidies and will need to be approved by the EPPO.

Is this a sustainable policy?

Worked for Greece until the sh&t hit the fan.

Not much benefit for the average person. Pretty much everybody uses gasohol, apart from people with very old vehicles, or motorbike nuts who want the extra 0.1% performance regular petrol gives them.

Price cuts in diesel will have maybe a small effect on prices of consumer goods (although businesses here are not in the habit of passing savings onto customers!), but at the moment I think maybe 50% of the big trucks run on NGV, so impact will not be big.

Sales of gasohol will take a massive drop as there will be not much or no price difference with regular petrol, which I assure you the cassava growers will not appreciate.

I don't see the point really, apart of course for Pua Thai needing to fulfill their election promises!

When looking at the Bangkok Post article on this subject over 52.12M liters of diesel are consumed daily, next highest is 91 petrol at 7.64M liters/day, then Gasohol 95 at 6.75M liters/day, Gasohol 91 at 5.12M liters/day, and then 95 petrol at 0.1M liters/day. Which means of above mentioned fuels diesel accounts for almost 73% of the fuel used.

Spot on. You spoke my mind.

Spot on. You spoke my mind, also!

Spoken like a true selfish expat. Of course it's "insane" for you, someone who doesn't own a car and uses public transportation. What about those of us who don't live in the city and drive to work everyday???

I think this is a much needed releif, not only will it save us gas money, but will lower the costs of other products that have increased prices(such as rice, eggs, etc;) due to cost of transport.

If you have lived here long enough you would relize how much of a blessing this is instead of worrying about reducing dependence on vehicles. That is truly a selfish point of veiw that only takes those in cities and those without vehicles

into account.

It reduces the tax-take by 1.6 billion/month, and the compensation-fund for retailers is 3.0 Billion, so I guess they must think that petrol-stations hold an average of almost 2 months' sales in stock ? Seems a little high to me !

And what will happen, when the oild-prices go up again, and there's no money 'in the kitty' available to subsidise & smooth the increase ?

Spot on. You spoke my mind.

Spot on. You spoke my mind, also!

Spoken like a true selfish expat. Of course it's "insane" for you, someone who doesn't own a car and uses public transportation. What about those of us who don't live in the city and drive to work everyday???

I think this is a much needed releif, not only will it save us gas money, but will lower the costs of other products that have increased prices(such as rice, eggs, etc;) due to cost of transport.

If you have lived here long enough you would relize how much of a blessing this is instead of worrying about reducing dependence on vehicles. That is truly a selfish point of veiw that only takes those in cities and those without vehicles

into account.

Do you seriously think this policy is sustainable? You did see the bit about borrowing money and issuing bonds to prop it up after January, right?