Thai Govt Outperformed Opposition: Polls

webfact

Govt outperformed opposition: polls

By The Nation

The government outperformed the opposition during last week's policy debate in the eyes of the Thai public, which is mostly happy to give Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra a year to prove herself, according to opinion polls conducted last week.

The public was more impressed with Yingluck and coalition MPs' performances than that of the opposition, surveys by Assumption University's Abac Poll and Bangkok University's Bangkok Poll found.

Abac's survey was conducted among 2,193 people aged 18 and over in 17 provinces from Wednesday to Saturday, Abac Poll director Dr Noppadol Kannikar said.

On a scale from 0 to 10 points, the government scored 6.02, the Parliament president 5.87, senators 5.59 and the opposition 5.56, Noppadol said.

In the Bangkok Poll survey, Yingluck scored 6.61, while opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva scored 5.27. Bangkok Poll said the government scored 6.39 points, the opposition 5.16, the Parliament president 6.29 and senators 5.88 in the policy debate.

Of respondents to the Abac survey, 74.5 per cent wanted the Yingluck government to stay in office for at least one year before they reviewed its performance, Noppadol said, adding that 16.6 per cent wanted it to run the country for between six months and one year, and 8.9 per cent wanted to give it six months.

If a new election were held now, 44.3 per cent of Abac Poll respondents said they would vote for the Pheu Thai Party, 23.9 per cent for the Democrats, 12 per cent for other parties and 19.8 per cent were undecided.

Bangkok Poll found that most respondents believe the Yingluck government would be able to improve relations with neighbouring countries in its first year of office.

Most also believed that the government would need more than one year to achieve reconciliation and unity, suppress drug trafficking and tackle the country's economic woes.

Most Bangkok Poll respondents said they did not believe the government would be able to end the southern insurgency or eliminate corruption.

Meanwhile, pollster Suan Dusit found that many people do not believe the government will be able to keep its promise of raising the daily minimum wage to Bt300.

Suan Dusit surveyed 1,352 people from Thursday to Saturday.

Asked to name policies in which they lacked confidence, 42 per cent cited the Bt300 wage promise; 44 per cent the promise to raise university graduates' minimum salary to Bt15,000; and 38 per cent cited the policy to provide free tablet computers for students.

It found that 37 per cent were not confident in the government's ability to tackle the rising prices of consumer goods. Respondents were allowed to cite more than one policy.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-29

Interesting how the majority of Thais surveyed would like to give the government a chance.

How very different than many of the views expressed in TVF from those who want the government to fail or to be removed.

I don't think that many "want" the government to fail ... just that they expect the government to fail.

Interesting how the majority of Thais surveyed would like to give the government a chance.

How very different than many of the views expressed in TVF from those who want the government to fail or to be removed.

I agree, let's hope this government are given a chance and thus pull the country out of the problems it is in.

Its just a shame that the last government was never given a chance to govern, instead it had to deal with street protests, thugs, armed resistance all encouraged by a megalomaniac who wanted his money back.

Anyone ever stop to ask himself what would replace PTP if there were no PTP? Seems to me that there is quite a huge precipice just to the left of the PTP.

Possibly democracy, but no Thaksin would never allow that he would have his red shirts out again.

Anyone ever stop to ask himself what would replace PTP if there were no PTP? Seems to me that there is quite a huge precipice just to the left of the PTP.

Possibly democracy, but no Thaksin would never allow that he would have his red shirts out again.

I don't care about democracy. I do care about public safety, maintenance of order (some at least), growth in standard of living, and a sense of national cohesiveness.

TRT 4th string hangers on and 2nd eldest children, and any one left not banned or brain dead that will do what they are told and not screw up too often.

On a scale from 0 to 10 points, the government scored 6.02, the Parliament president 5.87, senators 5.59 and the opposition 5.56, Noppadol said.

Essentially a dead heat, 1/2 point between best and worst performances, with a margin of error of at the very least 3% more likely 5-8% with the very small sampling.

I don't care about democracy. I do care about public safety, maintenance of order (some at least), growth in standard of living, and a sense of national cohesiveness.

This is Thailand... why would you expect this?

This is Thailand... why would you expect this?

I didn't say I "expected" those things. I said I "cared" about them. I do not care about democracy, which often seems counterproductive to those same issues. Thailand could have better national cohesiveness and public safety. It already has a growing standard of living. Order is the key. The country has enjoyed more official order in the past--a very good thing--which gives the individual great latitude in exploring their individual liberty. I do not want to see that last equation reversed.

Edited by zydeco

This is not a fair survey - Common on! surveyed amount in comparison to the Thai population or in comparison to its Citys population is a joke. If this was a survey done in a country as small as Singapore with a population close to 4 Million - I would say it is justice done. Surveys such as these only raise doubts of the surveyor and its intentions.

TRT 4th string hangers on and 2nd eldest children, and any one left not banned or brain dead that will do what they are told and not screw up too often.

Essentially a dead heat, 1/2 point between best and worst performances, with a margin of error of at the very least 3% more likely 5-8% with the very small sampling.

This thread's ABAC Poll involved 2,193 voters (as per OP).

In an other ABAC Poll which involved a whole lot more... the margin of error was...

Abac surveyed 500,000 voters and the poll had a margin of error of plus or minus 4.1 percentage points.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/print/2007/12/24/2003393891

Seems your right there but I suppose it all depends on which shift is clocked on as to how anti government they are

Pretty much as expected. Most people want to judge government on performance. The furious attack on the government by the opposition, some media and some other critics that we have seen over the past few weeks was always also going to risk being viewed negatively as the government had been given no chance to actually do anything.

Usually in a democracy a grace period of several months at least is given especially after a change in ruling party. It was odd that the assault started even before the government was in and was so utterly furious in nature. People notice that kind of thing and it also made it easy for Yingluck to say "give us a chance and judge us on performance" which she did. Sympathy after the opposition went far to far too quickly is likely a big issue.

Pretty much as expected. Most people want to judge government on performance. The furious attack on the government by the opposition, some media and some other critics that we have seen over the past few weeks was always also going to risk being viewed negatively as the government had been given no chance to actually do anything.

Usually in a democracy a grace period of several months at least is given especially after a change in ruling party. It was odd that the assault started even before the government was in and was so utterly furious in nature. People notice that kind of thing and it also made it easy for Yingluck to say "give us a chance and judge us on performance" which she did. Sympathy after the opposition went far to far too quickly is likely a big issue.

They have had a chance to describe their policies as promised in the election campaign.

I doesn't seem that they will get around to that, though.

I wonder if Thai voters approve of the silly beastards running things in DC, London, and Paris. After all, so many of Obama's, Cameron's, and Sarkozy's constituents seem to think their voices should help determine Thai political legitimacy, it seems that turnabout is fair play.

Agreed.I glanced at the article this morning and wondered how long it would take before the ABAC poll's methodology was rubbished.I can now see that it only took one hour and forty five minutes, predictably from members who over the years have regularly invoked ABAC polls when the findings suited them!

Actually I don't have that much faith in Thailand polling organisations generally.I think it was you Hammered that pointed out some time ago that only the military seems to have a well organised and structured capacity to gauge public opinion.

As to the performance of the government it's obviously too early to take a view and one doesn't need pollsters to tell us that.Most Thais are obviously keeping their minds open.My own view is that there are some unsettling aspects as well as more positive ones.One fact however seems clear beyond dispute.The Democrats are proving to be as hopeless in opposition as, with a few exceptions such as Korn, as they were in office (and even Korn has been rather unimpressive in opposition).One aspect is peculiar, even comic, namely the tone of some statements from Democrat leaders suggesting they have forgotten the Thai people have just rejected them.The assumption of entitlement and overweening arrogance dies hard.

There is one great thing about this government and we farangs should be very happy....soon we will be getting 40 bahts for our dollars, and more Issan daughters will be flooding to Bangkok looking for work.. Thanks Yinluck..!

Obviously you are Not talking about Thailand.......Amazing..!

Reminds me of the verbiage from the last change of government...

With feelings as high in sentiment, or low in general good taste, is any of this a wonder?

Agreed.I glanced at the article this morning and wondered how long it would take before the ABAC poll's methodology was rubbished.I can now see that it only took one hour and forty five minutes, predictably from members who over the years have regularly invoked ABAC polls when the findings suited them!

Actually I don't have that much faith in Thailand polling organisations generally.I think it was you Hammered that pointed out some time ago that only the military seems to have a well organised and structured capacity to gauge public opinion.

As to the performance of the government it's obviously too early to take a view and one doesn't need pollsters to tell us that.Most Thais are obviously keeping their minds open.My own view is that there are some unsettling aspects as well as more positive ones.One fact however seems clear beyond dispute.The Democrats are proving to be as hopeless in opposition as, with a few exceptions such as Korn, as they were in office (and even Korn has been rather unimpressive in opposition).One aspect is peculiar, even comic, namely the tone of some statements from Democrat leaders suggesting they have forgotten the Thai people have just rejected them.The assumption of entitlement and overweening arrogance dies hard.

".The Democrats are proving to be as hopeless in opposition.........." You agree that the government should be given time to prove themselves, but you judge the opposition immediately. Do I have to say it? :rolleyes: Double standards. :D

".The Democrats are proving to be as hopeless in opposition.........." You agree that the government should be given time to prove themselves, but you judge the opposition immediately. Do I have to say it? :rolleyes: Double

standards. :D

You make a very fair point.Some of the comments/statements from leading Dems have been as I described, and there does seem to be little attempt to find common cause.But you are right - for a fair verdict one should wait a few more months.

There is one great thing about this government and we farangs should be very happy....soon we will be getting 40 bahts for our dollars, and more Issan daughters will be flooding to Bangkok looking for work.. Thanks Yinluck..!

You manage to be ignorant and offensive in the same short post.Ignoring the "Isaan daughters" and "we Farangs" nonsense (and incidentally offensive at various levels) you are completely wrong on the US DlR/Thai Baht parity since for various reasons the former will continue to depreciate against the latter in the foreseeable future according to most forecasts.As most seasoned businessmen know, economic policy in Thailand has been and will continue to be consistent.Apart from a hiccup during the Asian crisis in the late 1990's Thailand has done extremely well under bureaucrats' guidance from the Bank of Thailand and Ministry of Finance.Politicians have a role but it is the bureaucrats who have earned Thailand's excellent reputation for fiscal and economic competence.Arguments about the minimum wage, kids' tablets, army expenditure etc are important but actually peripheral to the main factors.So if you think the Baht is likely to depreciate against the greenback, dream on...and I haven't even started talking about the problems facing the US currency.

It is a little early to judge the democrats in opposition beyond saying it was bad judgement to launch such a furious assault on government before they had done anything. One can only guess the kind of pressure being applied to the Dems by their extra-parliamentary allies after Abhisit got it so badly wrong in his electoral judgement and now having to deliver in some other way.

Korn may be keeping a low profile and assessing his options for the future. He managed to survive the last government with his reputation pretty intact. At some point the Dems need to change leader even if it will mean a fratricidal party battle, which may be why they stuck with the heavily damaged Abhisit anyway

It is a little early to judge the democrats in opposition beyond saying it was bad judgement to launch such a furious assault on government before they had done anything. One can only guess the kind of pressure being applied to the Dems by their extra-parliamentary allies after Abhisit got it so badly wrong in his electoral judgement and now having to deliver in some other way.

Korn may be keeping a low profile and assessing his options for the future. He managed to survive the last government with his reputation pretty intact. At some point the Dems need to change leader even if it will mean a fratricidal party battle, which may be why they stuck with the heavily damaged Abhisit anyway

The "assault" by the Democrats on the PTP has been because of two things:

1) the policies that they promised during campaigning, but have reneged on, saying that they won't be implemented.

2) the policies that they are planning to implement that will ruin the Thai economy.

Do you think that they should keep silent about these?

The "assault" by the Democrats on the PTP has been because of two things:

1) the policies that they promised during campaigning, but have reneged on, saying that they won't be implemented.

2) the policies that they are planning to implement that will ruin the Thai economy.

Do you think that they should keep silent about these?

I think they should have behaved in a more restrained manner. It is easy enough to point things out and then say the public will judge you. The assault began before the government had even announced policy and it hasnt served the Dems well at all

Your two points are moot right now, and by the way announced policy is dropped by virtually every democratically elected leader anywhere in the world without a furious assault before government has even made a decision. This is especially true where a change in ruling party has taken place with the outgoing mob and their policies being firmly rejected by the electorate.

Whether PTP have truly abandoned all their policies remains to be seen as policy and legislation are enacted. Remember the media and the dems claimed that PTP had gone back on scrapping the oil fund and yet... Lets judge on actual actions instead of what the Dems and their allies claim as fact when it has already been shown to be fantasy in at least one case. Enacting policy takes time but within the life of a parliament it should be easy enough to judge as you cant get away with not enacting it for that period (assuming no outside interference in government)

Agreed I was probably a little too prematurely critical as I conceded to OzMick.

As to Korn he is intriguing.As you know it was Korn who floated the minimum wage idea in the first place.It makes a lot of sense as Thailand needs to raise its value added which can't be done on the back of cheap labour.

The not so quality press in Thailand should take a stance and refuse to publish nonsense polls. Does Thailand need any polling agencies that wipes its behind with the fast majority of provinces. What does a poll in 17 provinces tell us about the public? Absolutely nothing. It is as with the exit polls, they were also probably done in 50 polling stations in a handful of provinces. Do not make the people behind polllng agencies important, they do a substandard job and they are certainly no professionals.

Spoken like a true Redshirt. Except for the part about public safety