Bangkok To Have Alcohol Free Zones

webfact

Bangkok to have alcohol free zones

BANGKOK, 31 August 2011 (NNT)-Bangkok will have alcohol free zones across the city with the move determined to curb violence that often stems from binge drinking.

Deputy Permanent Secretary for Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) MD. Peerapong Saicheua will sign the memorandum of understanding with MD. Narong Sahamethapat, the Deputy Permanent Secretary for Public Health, to enforce an alcohol free zone on every public park, government building and police station.

Selling, drinking and advertising alcohol will be prohibited in these places. Alcoholic drinks can only be sold in a shop or a club. The legal age to drink alcohol is 20 years and over. Sales of alcohol will be limited to two periods. From 11.00 hrs – 14.00 hrs and from 17.00 hrs – 24.00 hrs.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-08-31 footer_n.gif

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it is not prohibiting alcohol being on the premises. As such you can still drop off that bottle for your favourite BIB without breaking the law, or is it you are dropping the bottle off because you are breaking the law :whistling:

Cheers

Litlos

An honest mistake, or a ploy to get like a gazillion panicking people to log onto the website?

expect 7/11s and supermarkets full of farangs at the off-licence departments getting full loads of buzz for the next few days. Same with pubs and bars

Edited by londonthai

Police Stations - Alcohol Free Zones?

It must surely be April the 1st all over again.

Who is going to tell the BiB that their end-of-shift 'sessions' will soon consist of diet coke and orange juice :P !!!!

to enforce an alcohol free zone on every public park, government building and police station.

i wouldnt worry to much, how may TV members pop into there local police station for a samsong and coke, or the local land office with a can of Leo ? .. public park ...... never even been to one

The SMS I got from Thai Visa read "Bangkok Administration plans to turn capital into an alcohol free zone".

An honest mistake, or a ploy to get like a gazillion panicking people to log onto the website?

Yes... I panicked (lol)

But I expect it will be business as usual inside bars and gogo's

Edited by RAM8

"Bangkok will have alcohol free zones across the city with the move determined to curb violence that often stems from binge drinking....

...to enforce an alcohol free zone on every public park, government building and police station."

Does that mean there is binge drinking going on in government buildings and police stations???

Edited by Misterwhisper

You can still buy alcohol as long as its atleast 10 items at your friendly neighborhood Foodland during the no sell periods.

This law has been in effect for many years already, i dont think ive ever been in a restaurant that wouldn't sell me a beer during those times. But 7-11 won't, mom and pop shops dont give a rip about the law.

"Bangkok will have alcohol free zones across the city with the move determined to curb violence that often stems from binge drinking....

...to enforce an alcohol free zone on every public park, government building and police station."

Does that mean there is binge drinking going on in government buildings and police stations???

No, but there will be when the BiB seizes all those nice bottles of whisky the farangs are carrying around

:partytime2:

<deleted> ???? Is nothing sacred ? I simply cannot believe in this new tidal wave of moral behavior that the new government would dare to cut off alcohol at the police stations. ...... Now that is going to cut off the fun of being accosted by a half drunk policeman demanding money for some imagined offense. :jap:

The SMS I got from Thai Visa read "Bangkok Administration plans to turn capital into an alcohol free zone".

Yes... I panicked (lol)

But I expect it will be business as usual inside bars and gogo's

Don't forget the schools, sidewalks, streets and vehicles!

Going on some of the recent economic policies I'd say yes.

This must be part of the new "miracle" Thailand brand.:whistling:

But yes, it is a miracle that they can keep finding things to crack down on :rolleyes:

I guess we must give a thought to the long suffering, underpaid and overworked BiB who will now have to find the extra time out of their day to go about fining the punters who break this law ;)