Thai Motorcycle Warranties

wana

has anyone knackered their bike so much that it blew the engine inside the warranty service ? if yes ,did you get a free engine replacement ?

our small bikes are suppposed to be covered for 50,000 km so i took a spin up to rayong from bangkok on saturday to visit a friend on a yamaha elegance scooter and came back the next day ,held 110-120 kmph for almost all of the journey ( that was it flat out carrying 2 people ! :rolleyes: ) only stopped for gas and the bike was literally melting but its

just curious to know ,if we do blow the engine is the warranty service any good or do u pay for a new one anyway ?

my warranty paperwork is in thai so i cant figure out if theres any clauses or loopholes in it that they can charge you for it anyway ?

Tiger - never had a problem with their warranty service. Replaced front shocks and the crankshaft, as well as a brake cable that split on the outer casing. Both the local service center and the people at the factory in Bangkok have always had the attitude of doing everything they can.

Yamaha - small issues met with blank faces, some tapping around and a "it's fixed, goodbye". Had to go to my trusty local mechanic to get things done which really should have been done by Yamaha.

I know which company is getting my business next time around.....

wana, why do you expect a new engine, when your bike brakes down? I guess they would try to repair the engine. Work is cheap in LOS, replacing the engine is expensive.

I have a Tiger Boxer too. 2 years old, 10.000km, i own the bike now for three months. It had countless warranty issues, some minor, some really serious. They all got fixed from Tiger. The warranty service at Tiger factory is not bad.

I also have a Yamaha Nouvo. 3 years old, 13.000km. It never had any issue, so no need for a warranty fix. I just do the regular service on it.

I seem to hear all around that Tiger are brilliant with their warranties given with their bikes. lots of tales of mechanics coming to your home or to where you break down and replacing parts not just repairing them.

As much as I really do think this is a fantastic service, is it only me that seems to think that if their machines were that good then there wouldn't be all these tales of warranty repairs?

Never really hear of that many people having the same kind of issues with Honda, Yamaha or Kawasaki for example.

Maybe they go unreported or maybe they aren't as good of a service. Could also be the old case of you get what you pay for as far as reliability goes as well.

What are others thoughts on this?

Well, just gone through some of this...

Honda did mess up, not the company, just one mechanic... Lots of talks and anger but now they opted for buying back the bike (fair market value, or fix it)...

trusting thai mechanics and since I was going to sell it, guess what I took...

Now, I need to get in touch with the buyer as I in due course today broke my phone!!! hmmm, anger management anyone???

Well, just gone through some of this...

Honda did mess up, not the company, just one mechanic... Lots of talks and anger but now they opted for buying back the bike (fair market value, or fix it)...

trusting thai mechanics and since I was going to sell it, guess what I took...

Now, I need to get in touch with the buyer as I in due course today broke my phone!!! hmmm, anger management anyone???

What happened??

wana, why do you expect a new engine, when your bike brakes down? I guess they would try to repair the engine. Work is cheap in LOS, replacing the engine is expensive.

I have a Tiger Boxer too. 2 years old, 10.000km, i own the bike now for three months. It had countless warranty issues, some minor, some really serious. They all got fixed from Tiger. The warranty service at Tiger factory is not bad.

I also have a Yamaha Nouvo. 3 years old, 13.000km. It never had any issue, so no need for a warranty fix. I just do the regular service on it.

i dont "want" a new engine or even a repair ,i just was interested to know how they handle warranty cases and used an engine failure as an example because its supposedly warrantied for 5 years or 50,000 km (which seems quite long for a scooter ) :rolleyes: but this being thailand ........some things work a little differntly than other countries and i wondered if anyone had to call on any of the big manufactures to stand over their claims

thats all....

Edited by wana

I had a warranty issue with honda once. Worked well; gave it back to the dealer, he wasn't able to fix it. The dealer reported to AP Honda, they came picked up the bike, fixed it after ~ 1 week, brought it back to the shop. When i picked it up again everything was fine and i good a free service coupon....

I had a warranty issue with honda once. Worked well; gave it back to the dealer, he wasn't able to fix it. The dealer reported to AP Honda, they came picked up the bike, fixed it after ~ 1 week, brought it back to the shop. When i picked it up again everything was fine and i good a free service coupon....

thats good to hear they took care of it ,was it a serious problem ? and how far into the warranty was it ?

I have a secondhand 2008 D-Tracker 250 which I suspect had a factory recall on the ECU as people on GT Rider posted having their 2009 and before ECUs replaced.

My bike has shut off for no reason ~5 times (dangerous in traffic) and doesn't want to start 20% of the time totally draining the battery (dangerous off roading).

When I took my bike to Kawasaki Rama 9, they said the ECU tested out fine and blame it on my aftermarket exhaust system.

So now I have to switch back to a factory exhaust just to confirm this.

Yet I have a friend with a 2011 KLX250S and aftermarket exhaust system and that bike has no problems, never mind the countless other D-Trackers and KLX250s that have aftermarket exhausts and work fine.

It's not under warranty and I don't have any factory recall letter so now I'm stuck with a dangerous bike.

I even had people call Kawasaki Japan but their computers aren't linked to Thailand.

Only Rama 9 can help me but I already have the impression that Kawasaki Thailand doesn't want to eat the cost of a new ECU and hence don't care about my safety.

As we know safety means little in this country.

I have a secondhand 2008 D-Tracker 250 which I suspect had a factory recall on the ECU as people on GT Rider posted having their 2009 and before ECUs replaced.

My bike has shut off for no reason ~5 times (dangerous in traffic) and doesn't want to start 20% of the time totally draining the battery (dangerous off roading).

When I took my bike to Kawasaki Rama 9, they said the ECU tested out fine and blame it on my aftermarket exhaust system.

Yet I have a friend with a 2011 KLX250S and aftermarket exhaust system and that bike has no problems, never mind the countless other D-Trackers and KLX250s that have aftermarket exhausts and work fine.

It's not under warranty and I don't have any factory recall letter so now I'm stuck with a dangerous bike.

I even had people call Kawasaki Japan but their computers aren't linked to Thailand.

Only Rama 9 can help me but I already have the impression that Kawasaki Thailand doesn't want to eat the cost of a new ECU and hence don't care about my safety.

Not under warranty, no recall letter and you want them to replace for free. You also void any warranty by having after market exhaust. There should be a website somewhere with the recalls.

maybe an after market ECU would be the best solution ,regardless of whether KAWASAKI pay for it or you

if ur engine suddenly dies in the overtaking lane at 120kmph + you could get run over by a pickup

i would look in d-tracker forums and see what other people did ,if ur warranty is finished u have nothin to lose anyway