Thai Academic Blames Social Networks For Family Problems

webfact

Academic blames social networks for family problems

news2011-09-06_09-42-33_255409060004_social_network.jpg

BANGKOK, 6 September 2011 (NNT) – An academic has blamed social networks for the fragility and problems in modern families because people at present are so much engrossed with social networks that they ignore real life interaction.

Dr Jitra Dudsdeemaytha, the head of the Human Enrichment Centre of Srinakharinwirot University stated that the global and Thai societies are increasingly using social networking, which can give both positive and negative impacts like a double-edged sword.

Dr Jitra elaborated that for people living far apart, social networks can connect them together and enhance closer relationship, but social networks can cause problems in some families in which members rarely talk face-to-face but spend their time online instead.

The academic expressed concerns that people now spend hours posting messages in social networks but tend to squabble with family members after a few words of talking. She said they also do not adjust their understanding but post messages expressing feelings online instead.

Dr Jitra suggested that all family members, either husband and wife or parents and children, should have more real life conversations, live with the present and care people besides them more than those far away.

The academic suggested that internet users should not let social networks have too much influence on their lives. She said any social network users who feel frustrated after stop using it or feel unhappy without using it might be experiencing social network addiction.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-09-06 footer_n.gif

Thai academics at their best, stating the obvious. Did the esteemed lady also talk to her family about it, or send them a message on twitter. Maybe at breakfast time she sends them all a message by Facebook telling them it is time to eat.

I am sure they said the same thing about the telegraph, telephone or how the mail system stopped people from visiting family in person.

No doubt there are negative aspects to just about anything if over taken or over used but there are also vast benefits to these things if not over indulging.

In my experience those families where there is little face to face talk the problem preceded social networking. Finding convenient excuses for deeper rooted social problems is not the way to sort them out.

Things change quickly now and that generations do not understand each other is almost inevitable. As an older person and a parent, I try to make sure I stay as in touch as I can with what the younger are doing as it makes it easier to stay in touch, understand and to be honest can be fun. Too often the old expect the young to listen to them and do what they did and tell them how to lead their lives etc but those things have little relevance to the young anymore.

I have no doubt that people decried the decline of face to face communication when they invented writing....;)

Likely considered evil and/or the work of some sort of devil too ... just like various forms of music.

The only constant seems to be the older generation always looking at the younger generation as be worse than their generation but somehow the world continues to spin on and advance.

Edited by Nisa

lol yeah right !!!!! I have yet to come across any social networking site that holds a candle to the Thai bush telegraph.The rumors and gossip that are spread are nothing compared to a quick post on Facebook biggrin.gif.

Edited by dumpling

OK, this news article is all the proof I need. We need to shut down all social networks and let's start with shutting down ThaiVisa.

P.S. I should switch back to my rational personality and sober-up by later tonight, so please ignore above. ;)

I have no doubt that people decried the decline of face to face communication when they invented writing....;)

Likely considered evil and/or the work of some sort of devil too ... just like various forms of music.

The only constant seems to be the older generation always looking at the younger generation as be worse than their generation but somehow the world continues to spin on and advance.

I think you have hit it right on the head. I believe that this doctor thinks the devil is at work here. Notice the diagram with two points of the pentagram pointing upwards. A pentagram depicting Satanism. At first I thought to myself I might be looking for things that are not there. But then I read the article again, and could not figure out who the hell would give this witch doctor a PhD?

I believe we we add this Dr. Jitra's picture on to the pentagram we will have the Sigil of Baphomet, the insignium of the Church of Satan. This local Thai witch doctor is trying to tell everyone, if they keep logging on to social network sites and their heads will turn 360degrees and they will spew green stuff.

If there is anything bad for a Thai family it are the Thai soaps...

Bad acting, but the funny thing is the Thai think it's for real..

Which thais do u talk to ??? and how many to get this considered opinion.

I dont know of 1 thai who thinks the soaps are for real,admit though that they are too much into violence,gik and mianoi,giving a bad impression to the young

I think you have hit it right on the head. I believe that this doctor thinks the devil is at work here. Notice the diagram with two points of the pentagram pointing upwards. A pentagram depicting Satanism. At first I thought to myself I might be looking for things that are not there. But then I read the article again, and could not figure out who the hell would give this witch doctor a PhD?

I believe we we add this Dr. Jitra's picture on to the pentagram we will have the Sigil of Baphomet, the insignium of the Church of Satan. This local Thai witch doctor is trying to tell everyone, if they keep logging on to social network sites and their heads will turn 360degrees and they will spew green stuff.

maybe he is a Doctor of the witch variety!!

Ah and the world carries on spinning.

When I was a lad in England in the 1950s, television (known as the idiots lamp) was being blamed for the breakdown of society as it was in those days.

If you can get a chance to download and watch the movie "Meet Mr. Luciifer" 1953 vintage that is as up to date now as it was then . Indeed a satirical look at the evils of T .V. which equates well with the current cyber world and its presumed affects.

Lao Kaew,. gambling, mia nois, violence on T.V., corruption, no fail policies in schools and universities, lying, cheating, manipulation of the law, of course have no affect at all upon the social groups in Thailand do they?

Methinks the good doctor herself should see a doctor jap.gif

Edited by siampolee

Thai academics at their best, stating the obvious. Did the esteemed lady also talk to her family about it, or send them a message on twitter. Maybe at breakfast time she sends them all a message by Facebook telling them it is time to eat.

How about,

The kids are taught not to ask questions, or are not taught to ask questions and perhaps they can do so on 'Social Networks'

Don't ask mum or dad, they may not know the answer and lose face.

Thai's have been held back from the outside world for so long, they are just now finding out that there is life outside of Thailand and their culture. There is actually a world out there and the government and the powers that be are loosing a strong hold on the people. It's not the outside world causing the family problems it's the culture. The government has tried to shield the people from "western ways", but now with the internet, it's impossible so they blame it on the social media.

AGREED!

But its NOT funny at all.

In order to escape this dramatic environment, its building High wall , electric fence, cctv, and dogs.

The only way to make sense out of sense and keep the sense out of NON sense.

hgma

If there is anything bad for a Thai family it are the Thai soaps...

Bad acting, but the funny thing is the Thai think it's for real..