Pheu Thai Financier Payap Ready To Back Thaksin Pardon Petition

webfact

Payap ready to back Thaksin pardon petition

By The Nation

Pheu Thai financier Payap Shinawatra said yesterday he was ready to join the campaign seeking a royal pardon for his brother Thaksin Shinawatra.

"If the authorities need any proof or evidence of my support for Thaksin's pardon, then I am ready to cooperate," he said.

Payap was reacting to news reports of former justice minister Pirapan Salirathavibhaga's remarks on his involvement in the petition spearheaded by the red shirts in 2009 to seek a royal clemency on Thaksin's behalf.

In his Facebook message, Pirapan said Payap's name appeared on the petition, although he did not sign it despite being asked twice if he wanted to render his signature retroactively.

According to Pirapan, should Payap sign the petition and become one of some 2 million co-sponsors, the petition would have qualified as a pardon request under the Criminal Procedural Code. Provisions of the code prescribe for either Thaksin or an immediate family member to initiate the pardon request.

The red shirts cited their citizenship to submit the pardon petition on Thaksin's behalf. Even though every Thai citizen has the right to petition their King, the reds' involvement in seeking Thaksin's pardon has not been sanctioned by the code or existing laws.

Payap said he wanted to act in his capacity as a Thai citizen to secure clemency for Thaksin.

In a related development, Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said there were no legal provisions banning a pardon for a fugitive like Thaksin. The code prescribes a convict may initiate the pardon process and at the same time does not specifically rule out any fugitives in seeking clemency.

Chalerm said when an amnesty decree was issued in 2006 to mark His Majesty's 80th birthday, its two clauses specified convicts serving time could be eligible for pardon. But this was a one-off case which should not be construed as denying fugitives from benefiting from a blanket pardon, he added.

He insisted the King had the royal mandate to grant a pardon. He reminded all sides not to jump to conclusions on whether or not Thaksin would be included in the pardon review to mark His Majesty's 84th birthday in December.

He said he was in charge of the pardon review but the petition on Thaksin's pardon was still being processed and had not reached him.

He would decide on his next move once he had had a chance to review the petition.

Democrat MP Suthep Thaugsuban said he viewed the red shirts as acting inappropriately to petition for Thaksin's pardon.

Under established legal procedures, only convicted inmates were entitled to apply for clemency, he said.

Since Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra came to power, the government seemed bent on discarding rules and regulations in order to serve Thaksin, he said.

"I don't know whether Thaksin's pardon would be a time bomb for the government," he said, warning that the government should not trouble the King on the clemency issue.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-09-07

Before you post your comment please take note:

Many people have been losing their posting rights or receiving suspensions because they continue to make comments on the Monarchy, and members of the Thai Royal Family in a political context. This is in violation of Thai law which explicitly states that The Monarchy is above politics.

- Do not make any accusations about any individual's or groups' loyalty toward The Monarchy.

- Do not speculate on the opinions of any member of The Royal Family.

- Do not discuss succession or speculate on the future of The Monarchy.

Thank you for your co-operation and understanding

/Admin

Possibly a little miffed at being left out Of the government, therefore Payap gets a smaller slice of cake than others.angry.gif

Of course being passed over for his sister dented his ego more than a trifle I am sure ermm.gif

Perhaps Payap is not as malleable as his sister thus he poses a threat to Brother No. 1 and his schemesph34r.gif

Hopefully this is the match that will light the fuse that will ignite a family feud and destroy the hold that Thaksin has on the family and Thailand and its people.cool.gif

Edited by siampolee

Thaksin Shinawatra claims that all charges against him are politically motivated and he is innocent.

If he is innocent, why did he flee the country?

If he is innocent, how can he be pardoned?

If he is guilty as charged, then how can he be pardoned if he does not serve his sentence?

Surely some remorse and regret must be shown by the subject of the pardon petition?

Simple questions. Any simple answers?

Now what have we anti Thaskin forum members been spouting all along. This is why his sister was put into the political ring and why all Thaskins cronies are lined up ready to serve their leader in Dubai. Nepotism is alive and well in this Government. If I were a betting person I'd say he won't get the pardon endorsement.

LLTK

Thaksin Shinawatra claims that all charges against him are politically motivated and he is innocent.

If he is guilty as charged, then how can he be pardoned if he does not serve his sentence?

Surely some remorse and regret must be shown by the subject of the pardon petition?

Very well put......to be pardoned for something, one must admit you are actually guilty of something to begin with...

Considering that Taskin's daughter is at the helm of this ship of state, I think it's a foregone conclusion that he'll be fast-tracked back into the country with open arms. The criminal justice system, in any country, is primarily in place to control the behavior of the "little people". The rich have the money, power, and political clout to eventually by-pass the system. Mr. Taskin will be walking freely in this country soon. He's one of the uber-rich who gets the type of "justice" that you and I (and 99.999% of the population of the world) will never see.

I took the word, "fair", out of my dictionary some 30 odd years ago while in boot-camp. I remember marching all day and then having to do calisthenics in the middle of the night before being allowed to go to bed. My company commander was yelling at the top of his voice, "Take the word FAIR out of your dictionary!" That little piece of advice has served me well over time. You learn to let go of the uncontrollable aspects in life.

As for "Justice"? I'm thinking: Mai bpen rai! :whistling: Miracle Thailand! :lol:

Considering that Taskin's daughter is at the helm of this ship of state,

Have I missed something or been timewarped to the future ?...:blink: ......Thaksin's DAUGHTER is now in power, does the nightmare ever end ?....well at least she seems a bit smarter than her aunt after all she can flip a burger , say would you like fries with that and can I super size you without asking daddy....:rolleyes:

I wonder if they got 2 million names so as to slip Thaksin's name somewhere in the middle and hopefully go unnoticed. The gall of this new government is just unreal and shameless. It looks to me like they are setting themselves up to have absolute control above and beyond any laws.

"In his Facebook message, Pirapan said Payap's name appeared on the petition, although he did not sign it despite being asked twice if he wanted to render his signature retroactively."

I'm confused yet again. Was his name fraudulently placed on the petition?

Something very similar happened in the USA when George W II won his first election. In the key state of Florida where his brother was governor and all the ballots were mis managed and GW II won through a supreme court vote. My point being? This Government members like the Republicans are your classic shadow walkers. Who could really give a sh*t about the populace.

I wonder if they got 2 million names so as to slip Thaksin's name somewhere in the middle and hopefully go unnoticed. The gall of this new government is just unreal and shameless. It looks to me like they are setting themselves up to have absolute control above and beyond any laws.

Not if but when Thaksin gets a pardon it will mean that all this protestation will have to stop. Not going to criticise the pardon decision are we boys. The sooner he comes home the better bored with all this criticising. Starting to sound like the one track Dems Foreign Policy.

Not if but when Thaksin gets a pardon it will mean that all this protestation will have to stop. Not going to criticise the pardon decision are we boys. The sooner he comes home the better bored with all this criticising. Starting to sound like the one track Dems Foreign Policy.

Back to Normal? You are right back to the normal BS that one can expect from these jokers holding the reins. If you think a pardon will be granted then I must pinch you to wake up from your fairytale dreamlaugh.gif

So this is news?

Payup ( or else) is backing his brothers pardon.

Still have a pallet of T-shirts I was going to sell with that terrific campaign slogan.

When it became apparent that Thaksin had chosen his sister for PM instead of his brother, the market on them dropped out.

payup.jpg

So this is news?

Payup ( or else) is backing his brothers pardon.

Still have a pallet of T-shirts I was going to sell with that terrific campaign slogan.

When it became apparent that Thaksin had chosen his sister for PM instead of his brother, the market on them dropped out.

payup.jpg

Maybe she will install him as a tax collector?

1 for the country 2 for the family, 1 for the country 2 for the family,1 for the country 2 for the family, 1 for the country 2 for the family,1 for the country 2 for the family, 1 for the country 2 for the family,1 for the country 2 for the family, 1 for the country 2 for the family,1 for the country 2 for the family, 1 for the country 2 for the family,1 for the country 2 for the family, 1 for the country 2 for the family,1 for the country 2 for the family, 1 for the country 2 for the family,1 for the country 2 for the family, 1 for the country 2 for the family,1 for the country 2 for the family, 1 for the country 2 for the family,1 for the country 2 for the family, 1 for the country 2 for the family,1 for the country 2 for the family, 1 for the country 2 for the family,1 for the country 2 for the family, 1 for the country 2 for the family. etc.

1: Thaksin fled because he didn't want to go to jail. This does not read on wherher he was innocent or guilty, but merely an aknowledgement of the fact that to stay in Thailand would be to stay in prison.

2. Whether or not Mr. T is innocent is irrelevant to thie issue as to whther he now must serve jail time. He had his day in court (even though he decided not to show) and guilt or innocence is no longer at issue. The pardon would also not address guilt ot innocence, but would only specify whether the punishment would be carried out.

3. It seems that all authorities agree that he could potentially be pardoned if he served part of his sentence, but the point of contention is whether the rules say he MUST serve some time in order to be eligible. I don't know who is right on this one (or if it would even matter at all. In the end, TIT.)

4. Remorse and regret? I have only heard that it must be shown to be able to have the pardon granted, but I haven't heard anyone speculate as to whether it must be shown before a petition can be accepted. Again, TIT and the golden rule normally applies. Of course here the golden rule is "He who has the gold, rules". And what exactly constitutes showing remorse and regret. Would it be enough for Thaksin to say "this has caused me so much trouble that I'm sorry I ever even heard about the land sale"?

Fact is of course that the petition is only submitted when the government is sure that a pardon is given. Thailand is not a absolute monarchy what means that the real ruling is made by the government of the day. That is of course why Abhisit refused to submit the petition. As soon as a petition is submitted a refusal is very difficult to defend.

I wonder how difficult would it be to get 2 million signatures on a petion to keep him out the country...:rolleyes:

THB 300/ a signature and throw in a few I-pads....:whistling:

Obviously less difficult than using a flood relief fund to buy votes in the South. But 2 million signatures might be manageable that might be the share of the opposition vote, although you never know of course even the military voted overwhelmingly for Yingluck.

If/when Thaksin returns the whole episode is over, and a lot of ordinary people will be happy and not just reds either but that so called silent "majority" who just want the conflict to go away and everything to return to "normal". That is the problem for the Dems side, the silent group just want it all to go away and when/if it does it leaves only the extreme anti-Thaksinistas and anyone the Dems can whip into a frenzy of hatred in their southern fiefdom who will care, but then again if/when the man does return all those silentistas wont be too happy if the Dems try a whipping up of anything so maybe they will just have to accept it too

I say when/if as I am not so certain that there wont be a weirdity to derail government

If/when Thaksin returns the whole episode is over, and a lot of ordinary people will be happy and not just reds either but that so called silent "majority" who just want the conflict to go away and everything to return to "normal". That is the problem for the Dems side, the silent group just want it all to go away and when/if it does it leaves only the extreme anti-Thaksinistas and anyone the Dems can whip into a frenzy of hatred in their southern fiefdom who will care, but then again if/when the man does return all those silentistas wont be too happy if the Dems try a whipping up of anything so maybe they will just have to accept it too

I say when/if as I am not so certain that there wont be a weirdity to derail government

Am I right in thinking you're in the sticks, Hammered? Am sure if you are the whole pardon thing will go completely unnoticed there. Business as usual, so to speak.

I don't have a fraction of that optimism for life here in the city however.

Edited by Insight