Ifox Dongle - What Is The Best 3G Top Up Around?

ruddy2000

Hey guys

I have purchased an IFOX Dongle/Mobile Internet stick, that comes with SIM as i currently cannot get BB or fixed line internet where I am.

I have been topping it up for a while now at the local 7-11 via a voucher called i-KOOL in increments of 100, 300, or 500 BHT

My question is as there are many options to top up a mobile internet stick which gives you the most bang for your Baht? (pardon the un-intended pun)

Topping up with an i-KOOL voucher doesnt seem to last very long and was just wondering if anyones had some experience in this and can advise

Thanks,

Hi Ruddy2000,

using a 3G sim for your normal internet browsing will cost a lot, since mostly the topups are only 1 or 2 GB. And that's not a lot when doing a bit browsing, mailing etc. You could look at a subscription which is about 650 baht unlimited per month. As for the top-ups I use Mojo 3G, 199baht for 1.2GB and can be used 30 or 45 days max. I think best value that I saw was 1.5GB for 199 baht for 45 days. So if you eat this up within 1 or 2 week I would say you will be better of with a 3G postpaid subscription. For me 1GB is enough per month for use in my mobile phone, but this wouldn't be enough for my house internet connection (last week downloaded about 150GB :rolleyes: )

If you get an unlimited Sim from TOT or True, AIS or DTAC they are round 700 -900 BHT for 30 days unlimited download maybe even cheaper now they all launching their 3G services. It only a 100-200 THBmore per month the the 599THB ADSL services and you stop worrying about download amounts and topups etc. that way you use the sim until you days run out have one in the draw and you back online again. I started like you on 1gb/2gb for 100Bht but soon go sick of them running out.

If you don't want to spend that much just shop around especially at the moment on the web sites and at Markets looking for the best deals.

If you get an unlimited Sim from TOT or True, AIS or DTAC they are round 700 -900 BHT for 30 days unlimited download maybe even cheaper now they all launching their 3G services. It only a 100-200 THBmore per month the the 599THB ADSL services and you stop worrying about download amounts and topups etc. that way you use the sim until you days run out have one in the draw and you back online again. I started like you on 1gb/2gb for 100Bht but soon go sick of them running out.

If you don't want to spend that much just shop around especially at the moment on the web sites and at Markets looking for the best deals.

'Unlimited' is limited, apart from TOT. Perhaps 3GB. Read the fine print before committing.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

'Unlimited' is limited, apart from TOT. Perhaps 3GB. Read the fine print before committing.

Unlimited = Unlimited. Indeed 3GB is mentioned, but if you read the fine print, it says the speed will just drop to 384kb/s, but data is unlimited as advertised. Indeed, read the fine print :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice Chepos!

I have been recommened this Mojo by a friends also...do you know where you can top them up though?..Local 7-1

Hi ruddy2000,

Mojo could be bought at the Se-ed bookshops and some other places and of course at IT Square, Zeer Rangsit and Pantip etc.

But not at the 7-11's, they only have i-Mobile, and you don't want i-Mobile, believe me.

Will be in Thailand soon, last time was the first time I came carrying an (unlocked) 3G stick. I bought a few prepaid True SIMs at Zeer Rangsit to use them upcountry (KP). I only have EDGE coverage at my place and I've had all kinds of problems with these SIMs, from suddenly dead-slow connections despite reported strong signal (even slower than a 56K modem, definitely much less than what a "normal" EDGE connection should give me, and strangely at random hours) to a SIM that plain and simple wouldn't activate (and the local True shop really hasn't been helpful... their final advice was to go back where I had bought it for an exchange - 800km roundtrip, sure).

So this Mojo thing sounds interesting. I have a couple of questions:

- what GSM/3G network are they using? I don't presume they have their own so they must basically be a reseller for bandwidth from one of the major GSM operators: which one? do they have coverage upcountry? (not in 3G of course, but I expect EDGE)

- the discussion above is about "topping up" which I understand as refilling credit to an existing SIM, right? Do you buy the SIM at the same place? (eg. Zeer) Is it worth refilling? sometimes it seems that buying a new SIM with the latest promotion gives you more bang for your baths (borrowing the expression...)

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Will be in Thailand soon, last time was the first time I came carrying an (unlocked) 3G stick. I bought a few prepaid True SIMs at Zeer Rangsit to use them upcountry (KP). I only have EDGE coverage at my place and I've had all kinds of problems with these SIMs, from suddenly dead-slow connections despite reported strong signal (even slower than a 56K modem, definitely much less than what a "normal" EDGE connection should give me, and strangely at random hours) to a SIM that plain and simple wouldn't activate (and the local True shop really hasn't been helpful... their final advice was to go back where I had bought it for an exchange - 800km roundtrip, sure).

So this Mojo thing sounds interesting. I have a couple of questions:

- what GSM/3G network are they using? I don't presume they have their own so they must basically be a reseller for bandwidth from one of the major GSM operators: which one? do they have coverage upcountry? (not in 3G of course, but I expect EDGE)

- the discussion above is about "topping up" which I understand as refilling credit to an existing SIM, right? Do you buy the SIM at the same place? (eg. Zeer) Is it worth refilling? sometimes it seems that buying a new SIM with the latest promotion gives you more bang for your baths (borrowing the expression...)

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Welcome back to Thailand:)

Yes, sometimes I experienced also all kinds of trouble with GPRS and Edge in the past, but I have to say that since last year the 3G sims are ok (well, at least in the Bangkok area). The Mojo sims are using the TOT network which runs on the 2100MHz frequency (so you need to check if your 3G stick can handle this frequency, but mostly they can). I never topped up any sim. Since I have a seperate sim for my normal calling I just buy a new sim whenever I need them for internet. The Mojo sims are straight forward (well, in my Galaxy S anyway). Just put the sim in and there you go (sometimes need to turn on 3G in the phone, depending on my settings. Not sure how this works with a 3G stick). No activation or such needed. Mojo has several sims, but I use the data only (internet only), which can't be used for calls. Unfortunately those sims are now more expensive at 199 baht for about 30 to 45 days and 1 to 1.5GB depending on brand etc. Last year/beginning this year, these sims were 99 baht (and I could buy them for 80 baht, since I know many shopowners at IT square and Zeer (I run a webshop and buy stuff regularly at several shops there ;) )).

About the local True shops, yeah, mostly they don't know anything (but that goes for almost every shop in Thailand) :) Just call there call-center, which have some good English speaking staff, who mostly know how to help you.

Unlimited = Unlimited. Indeed 3GB is mentioned, but if you read the fine print, it says the speed will just drop to 384kb/s, but data is unlimited as advertised. Indeed, read the fine print :rolleyes:

Indeed. Have been getting quicker downloads speeds on Edge recently as well.Double normal speed when downloading 30 minute programme.

Edited by Chivas

Cheops, thanks for the useful tips.

I'll certainly look for those Mojo SIMs. I usually make a trip to Zeer during my very first day in Thailand. I kind of know the place too. Used to go there very often when I was a resident and I miss it... too.

My stick is a Huawei E160E and yes, according to the specs I've found online, it does support 2100 Mhz. Thanks for the heads up.

About the local True shops, yeah, mostly they don't know anything (but that goes for almost every shop in Thailand) :) Just call there call-center, which have some good English speaking staff, who mostly know how to help you.

Oh well they tried hard, even calling me on my mobile the day after I went to the shop. But basically since they weren't selling any data SIMs they couldn't replace mine. And for some reason the SIM I had (from a sealed yellow True High Speed Net package) was registered as a voice SIM "in the computer" (it's always the computer's fault in the end, right?)

Language wasn't the issue, since I can speak enough Thai for that kind of conversation.

The hotline was completely helpless either. Just insisting that this SIM wasn't meant for data usage.

MoJo is one of the MVNOs/resellers of TOT's 2100 Mhz 3G network covering ~ 525 base-stations in metro-Bangkok. TOT has announced a national build-out of 1900 Mhz 3G across 5,000+ base-stations occurring approx. Q42011 - Q42012. And they will use resellers.

A MoJo SIM would be useless outside of metro-Bangkok; limited voice roaming, no SMS, no 2G data, and no 3G data (obviously).

Maybe better to get Truemove SIM and an AIS/One-2-Call SIM and hope for a decent 2G (GSM data: GPRS/EDGE) upcountry? Truemove has (supposedly) completed a massive build-out of 2G data, and AIS claims EDGE+ (384 Kbps) on 100% of their base-stations (YMMV).

FWIW, 2G data basically uses available bandwidth, and is shared with voice calls. Voice calls have priority so if a lot of people make voice calls on your serving base station your 2G data rates will drop, and the session may be terminated. As with SMS, 2G data is not a guaranteed service.

edited to add: just saw the bit about the Truemove Hi Speed NetSIM. That SIM, once activated, acts as a "normal" SIM. Calls are 1 baht/min, SMS 1.25 per, and you can layer on a time-based or volume-based data plan. Most services can be added/changes remotely with automated service commands.

Edited by lomatopo

Thanks for your reply Lomatopo,

A MoJo SIM would be useless outside of metro-Bangkok; limited voice roaming, no SMS, no 2G data, and no 3G data (obviously).

Huh? I didn't expect 3G but no 2G either? you sure? So this basically means no coverage at at all, these SIMs are valid for the BKK metropolis only if I understand your point.

I wouldn't use it for anything but data anyway (in a 3G USB stick). No voice, no SMS.

Maybe better to get Truemove SIM and an AIS/One-2-Call SIM and hope for a decent 2G (GSM data: GPRS/EDGE) upcountry? Truemove has (supposedly) completed a massive build-out of 2G data, and AIS claims EDGE+ (384 Kbps) on 100% of their base-stations (YMMV).

384kb/s is more than enough for my needs (occasional mail and int'l news web sites browsing).

Based on my experience with True, I might give AIS a chance this time if Mojo isn't usable upcountry.

FWIW, 2G data basically uses available bandwidth, and is shared with voice calls. Voice calls have priority so if a lot of people make voice calls on your serving base station your 2G data rates will drop, and the session may be terminated. As with SMS, 2G data is not a guaranteed service.

Isn't this true (no pun intended) for 3G also? basically whatever happens you share the pipes from the base station to the global infrastructure anyway.

As for my worries with True, since I suffer from insomnia I often found myself willing to do some surfing at 3AM. No way.

I don't think voice traffic was the issue at that time.

edited to add: just saw the bit about the Truemove Hi Speed NetSIM. That SIM, once activated, acts as a "normal" SIM. Calls are 1 baht/min, SMS 1.25 per, and you can layer on a time-based or volume-based data plan. Most services can be added/changes remotely with automated service commands.

Well, I can't recall the exact details but this SIM was the 2nd or 3rd one of the same batch bought at Zeer and the first one not working at all. It was a special data-only promotion as written on the box, something like 3 hours on 3G, 30 hours on EDGE/GPRS. Very cheap (I think I got them for 69 or 79b each).

I still have a couple of yet unused packages.

365 had/has(?) unlimited 3G data SIMs, not sure if they still do? (Not on their website.)

They had 15 day and 30 day SIMs. There was a report here on ThVi of getting 20 GB in 15 days.

I think it was 790 baht/30 days, 399 baht/15 days but those might have been 50% off promotion prices?