Our Transfers No Different To Democrats: Chalerm

webfact

CONTROVERSIAL TRANSFER

Our transfers no different to Democrats: Chalerm

By The Nation

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung yesterday defended the Cabinet decision to transfer National Security Council secretary-general Thawil Pliensri by pointing to similar transfers of senior bureaucrats close to the Pheu Thai Party by the previous government.

Chalerm said he liked Thawil's remark that people must face the effects of their actions, as the rule of karma.

"May the person who abuses his authority be doomed. May the people who commit bad deeds get the bad karma. Thawil was right in that respect," he said.

A senior figure in the ruling Pheu Thai Party, Chalerm also said that during the tenure of the previous Democrat-led government, many senior bureaucrats close to fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra and other Pheu Thai politicians were unfairly transferred from their positions.

"What wrongdoing did they commit?" Chalerm said, referring to the transferred officials. "The Democrats should not forget that."

He said Thawil had the right to bring his case to the Administrative Court if he thought his transfer was unfair. He added that after being transferred to become the prime minister's adviser, Thawil would still get the same salary and allowances.

"Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra also promised to assign him to an important mission," Chalerm said.

Thawil's transfer has been viewed as a move to pave the way for national police chief General Wichean Potephosree to become the new NSC chief. A vacant seat of the national police chief is expected to be filled by his deputy Police General Priewpan Damapong, who is brother of Pojaman na Pombejra, the former wife of the prime minister's brother, Thaksin Shinawatra.

Former interior minister Purachai Piumsomboon yesterday urged the government to avoid exercising authority for the benefit of its associates. He also warned politicians in power against promoting bureaucrats who are their relatives.

"Whoever the next police chief is, the principle of merit must be followed. Don't allow past mistakes to happen again, and favouritism should be avoided. High caution must be taken in promoting people with the same surname [as that of ruling politicians]," said Purachai, who is an MP from the opposition Rak Santi Party.

A former police captain, Purachai said politics had for long interfered in the police.

Commenting on Thawil's transfer, he said the government had the administrative power to transfer senior bureaucrats any time, although the NSC chief also had the right to bring his case to court.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-09-09

One who had the same family name as the PM

The problem is that a google search of "Vejjajiva relative army promotion" doesn't bring up anything about relatives of Abhisit in the army being promoted.

So I was after something that would help me narrow down the search.

The problem is that a google search of "Vejjajiva relative army promotion" doesn't bring up anything about relatives of Abhisit in the army being promoted.

There was at least one artcile in the print edition of the post a couple of years back.

or: http://pressinthai.wordpress.com/2010/06/20/nephews-of-abhisit-prem-win-key-posts-in-army-reshuffle-10122009/

There was at least one artcile in the print edition of the post a couple of years back.

or: http://pressinthai.wordpress.com/2010/06/20/nephews-of-abhisit-prem-win-key-posts-in-army-reshuffle-10122009/

He's a Lt Colonel, and was made commander of a battalion. A battalion is 300-1200 men. Not quite the same thing

or: http://pressinthai.w...uffle-10122009/

That's an internal army promotion - not even a general.

We're talking about senior government officials and the heads of the police and armed forces.

The big difference is that the replacements are not from the Veijajiva extended family

I guess you missed the rather unexpected promotion of a certain army officer

Which one?

With his dad assuming his new position, the former murder suspect is likely to make Field Marshall status during this administration.

Edited by Buchholz

He's a Lt Colonel, and was made commander of a battalion. A battalion is 300-1200 men. Not quite the same thing

Except it was all part of a process that was described as tactical to take control of key units, whihc brings us back to it is the same. Every government stuffs the army, police and bureaucracy with their own people. It is never different and never has been. This time the anti-thaksinista bits of the media (and the media are well split now) fixate on the issue while little criticsm was made of the massive purges and changes the previous regime carried out

The big difference is that the replacements are not from the Veijajiva extended family

I guess you missed the rather unexpected promotion of a certain army officer

I took it to mean that when the Dems made their transfers, no Veijajiva family members got promoted, in contrast to the Army guy in the PTP case...

Except it was all part of a process that was described as tactical to take control of key units, whihc brings us back to it is the same. Every government stuffs the army, police and bureaucracy with their own people. It is never different and never has been. This time the anti-thaksinista bits of the media (and the media are well split now) fixate on the issue while little criticsm was made of the massive purges and changes the previous regime carried out

My feeling is, as already expressed to you in another thread on the same theme, that the difference in coverage and level of criticism, has less to do with bias (which does of course exist) and more to do with how much more blatant and obvious PT are being in comparison with the Dems. The example you offer up demonstrates this. Yes it is comparable, but no, it is not, for a good number of reasons, as big a story or as scandalous.

Do you not acknowledge that PT are being much more brazen, and that this brazenness has a lot to do with the media coverage they are getting? Or do you put it all down to conspiracy?

... but the Democrats did it first ...

Babies!!

my thoughts too. Chalerm has the maturity and moral turpitude of a pampered first grader. What's in store at his next press conference? .....

....." I know you are, but what am I?"

....." sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

....." Johny took a cookie from the cookie jar and you didn't punish him. So why are you picking on me for taking the whole jar?"

......"If you mention my son getting away with murder again, you will be sorry. I know where you live and where your kids go to school."

maidu's note on that last quote: ok, that's not what a first grader would say, but rather what a mafia goon would say.

Edited by maidu

If karma does exist, some day in the (near, I hope) future, Chalerm can expect to be tarred and feathered, half-strangled, <deleted> and burnt, disembowelled, and drawn and quartered.

When it happens, I'll believe in karma.

Compared to some though, he's not that bad. Edward Gibbon wrote, "The most serious charges were suppressed; the Vicar of Christ (John xxiii) was accused only of piracy, murder, rape, sodomy, and incest."

LOL...now the democrats party is tasting its own bitter medicine....karma is working believe it... :lol::lol::lol:

I don't think that is karma working, that is 5-year-old mentality - they did it and we condemn them for that, but now to get our own back, we will do exactly the same, *hehehe, chortle chortle* - working.

Correct. The Dems had a purge to remove the Thaksin plants that allowed the Chief Thief/dictator God to go about his bussiness without the democratic process getting in his way. The Dems replaced them with compentent people not stoogies and family yes men. There is a huge difference between compentent officials and the Shinwatra family plants and assorted yes man thieves being put back to allow the democratic system to be again over ridden.

Pheau Thai would put forward that the day is night and some on here would happily agree the case for them.

Edited by Roadman

If karma does exist, some day in the (near, I hope) future, Chalerm can expect to be tarred and feathered, half-strangled, <deleted> and burnt, disembowelled, and drawn and quartered.

Compared to some though, he's not that bad. Edward Gibbon wrote, "The most serious charges were suppressed; the Vicar of Christ (John xxiii) was accused only of piracy, murder, rape, sodomy, and incest."

Don't speak about kamma, I agree with most of your postings, but what you post about kamma is ignorance. (Many Thai people share this ignorance with you, you have absolution)

Don't speak about kamma, I agree with most of your postings, but what you post about kamma is ignorance. (Many Thai people share this ignorance with you, you have absolution)

In case you missed it - " When it happens, I'll believe in karma." At the moment it's almost as silly as re-incarnation.:D