Suvarnabhumi Airport Rail Link - A Completely Inconvenient Means Of Travel

webfact

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The lack of connection to the two main roads is really shocking, as well is the ridiculous one way system thats in place there, its almost impossible for you to get dropped off or picked up conveniently.

Hopefully that get fixed one day as its a really impressive service and space.

This article was just a long whine with no supporting evidence, the sort of thing that can be typed out in a bar after canvassing a few opinions.

I agree with those who see safety as a big issue with taxis. I have NEVER felt safe in a BKK taxi. And I really don't see what all the fuss is about re finding and ascending to Makassan.

No problem either with baggage. Plenty of elevators at both ends. Just ask if you are not sure about ways to go...signage could be better, but plenty of workers who are pleased to help.

As for lugging luggage on the underground, has anyone ever tried the London Underground or Paris Metro? Loads of places where you have no escalators or elevators, and you have to become an Olympic weight lifter to get your crap up the steps. I would say that the Airport Link is the single most civilised piece of architecture in all of Bkk.

There is usually three of us so the taxi is actually cheaper and drops us off at the hotel. I haven't tried the ARL yet but next time I'm commuting on my own I will. I love Skytrain so I'll at least give it a run.

BTW, every taxi driver I've had responds quite well to "Chaa Lohng!!" in a terrified voice. And I've never had trouble with fare arguments in the meter cabs.

Edited by sfbandung

At the moment the link from the airport to Phaya Thai and the BTS is okay (though the elevators could be improved). The link between Makassan and the MRT at Petchaburi is terrible. It is quite a long walk with very little signage. I ended making the mistake of walking along the side of the station on my first visit and having to climb over a wall and through a muddy area to get in. Apparently a walkway link is being built but has been delayed by the financial crisis facing the APL company. Somebody said there was no substance to the OP claims - well try transferring to the MRT and see what you think.

Edited by citizen33
  • Like 1

This article was just a long whine with no supporting evidence, the sort of thing that can be typed out in a bar after canvassing a few opinions.

<snip>

It's interesting you say that -- the article in the OP bears little similarity to the original in the Thai press (Khao Sot) which this journalist claims to have 'translated and rewrittten'.

The negative hype has been hugely cranked up in the rewrite -- whether because the writer has a personal axe to grind or the News Network has a policy of sensationalism.

I would agree that, conceptually, the thing is a dog -- the supposedly VIP Express Service is much worse than the bog-standard City Line, and many of the decisions made are a monument to lack of common sense. But despite itself, it is very convenient if you happen to live in the right part of Bangkok (ie not more than a handful of BTS stops from Phaya Thai)

A classic case of people being impossible to please. Everyone knows that they will have to haul their luggage when on holiday no matter what country. Apart from that it's a lot cheaper to take the BTS than any of the "rip-off" taxi drivers at the airport. Yeah, there could be more stops in between and the trains could leave more often. The problem is that there aren't enough passengers to run a train every 10 minutes. I agree, though, that there could be a lot more escalators at any of the BTS stations. On the other hand they have to have staircases as well for emergencies. So my suggestion is: if you don't like it take a taxi. No one forces anyone to take the BTS. By the way, they've realized that the BTS and the MRT are nowhere near where it they should be in terms of more lines. BUT it costs an awful lot of money and time to build those lines and it can't be done overnight.

Its OK to board the airport link with a 7 foot short surfboard but when connecting to BTS the board is not allowed on train, despite bicycles being allowed. Bikes are considerably more obtrusive than a rather skinny profile board that when upright is almost a non issue.

That's ridiculous!!! I had my bike on the BTS a million times! Why don't they allow surfboards, too!!!

The Failure of Common Sense

Read the article in the BKK Post last week about proposed methods of turning around the Airport Link. The answer given by the Deputy Minister of Transport was to use the space for shops!!! Can you believe it. Do you think the Commercial District of BKK has too few shops? Or do you think passengers, after a long grueling international flight will suddenly say "let's wait with getting to our hotel....and shop under an elevated train!!!" The second "solution" is more parking, which, as you will see, would make no sense at all.

As someone who's been involved in City Planning in the US, let me offer some FREE advice. The biggest problem at Makassan is the inability to get to the other side of Petchaburi Rd easily. As anyone who has been at the station has observed, Makassan is oriented AWAY from Petchaburi Rd instead of TOWARD this major artery (which is also where the MRT station is, btw). At least 90% of those coming here from the airport want to go SOUTH on Petchaburi toward Sukhamwit and the center of the city. Unfortunately, there is no way to turn right of Petachaburi. Instead you must turn left, brave the traffic until you get to the expressway, continue about 2 km, then back three km, then finally, after lots of traffic you find yourself right across from the entrance of the little road under the LINK. I kid you not! There are taxis at the entrance, but they must do they same thing. You end up with 70 baht on the meter a block away from where you started. Naturally the taxi driver will not inform you of this. Those with heavy bags are forced to pay this tribute in time and money, and will certainly never use the LINK again. What's to be done? The most elegant solution is an exit on the east end of the station, with an escalator down to the eastern side of Petchaburi Rd. There taxis and buses abound...going in the desired direction. This can be connected to a short "sky walkway" from the station to the MRT station. You find them everywhere, why not here. The cheapest solution is simply to remove the barrier on Petachaburi Rd, and placing a traffic light there, to allow easy access for taxis and cars turning south on that street.

Now we come to the second problem...check in. The other day, I was actually at Makassan. Since I had a bad cold, I thought I might check in my bags there for my Thai flight. There were approximately 15 counters, only one of which was staffed (well not really, since the clerk was about 10 meters away chatting on her phone). When I asked her to check my bag, she told me, "only for Thai Air". "Fine," I said, "I'm flying Thai Air". She then asked for my Express train ticket (150 baht) and I told her I take the City Train (35 baht from Makasan to Suwannaphum), which takes only ten minutes more. "Mai dai," she answered, probably turning away the only customer that hour. Here's a great service that is not used due to foolish restrictions. Perhaps if check-in was encouraged for ALL passengers, people might choose the LINK to the airport. BTW, what's the point of the EXPRESS anyway. Look where it ends up, and how it delays the City Train. Just another attempt at favoring those who are willing to pay four times as much for "the touch of luxury". STUPID

So here you see the frustrating factors both FROM and TO the airport. One can only shake one's head sadly at the incredible waste of building a transit system that functionally doesn't connect or make life more convenient for what could be thousands of passengers a day.

Edited by Larry

I think we've identified most of the short-comings of the SARL, both the City Line and Express Line, in nearly a hundred threads here. For all its warts ridership is increasing: ~ 3,000 pax/day on the Express and ~ 37,000 pax/day on the City Line.

What appears to be new is this use of Blue Flag Fairs to increase ridership. Do people think this will have the desired effect?

Regarding Ban Thaap Chang SARL station; it is basically isolated, so hardly surprising very few riders use this station.

The project was built to line the pockets of the politicians and generals that authorised it and that are behind the companies that built it. Also, it serves to massage the egos of those powerful and deluded Thais that want to emulate functioning and developed countries like Singapore and Hong Kong.

They simply do not care a jot about it's profitability or functionality, much like the BTS (still in B38 Billion of debt).

The rail link, like the new airport is not fit for purpose. The airport is now operating at over-capacity and is struggling to cope. Witness hourly waits and more at Immigration on exit and queues spiralling through the departures hall. When will King Power be brought to task for flouting the laws in the bidding process for airport sales space and contravening international regulations over the amount of space taken by retail outlets?

Also the "17 minute Express Train" is a bit lame... I tried it at Phaya Thai the other day... Thinking it would be faster...

Paid the premium price entered and was immediately directed to a makeshift seating area to sit down and WAIT (as the train only leaves every 30 minutes) - So I sat there and watched TWO regular trains come and go before my express train even arrived :blink:

Edited by sfokevin

Actually, I tried to find the Station a few months ago to send a friend to the Airport. No motorcycles or Taxis located in Makassan knew where it was! Eventually, we found one who kept on stopping and asking people until he solved the puzzle. It is in Rachada Road if I remember correctly so why is it called Makassan? And access to it if you approach from the opposite side of the main road is difficult.

Yes, once you've found the station and the train, I understand it's good but there are many things before that that need improving drastically :realangry:

It's called Makassan because the whole area is called Makassan.

I have to disagree with Cheap Charlie.

So you ended up at On Nut and then had to carry your bags up to the BTS, pay more money, and go through yet another set of barriers. You could have been at Phaya Thai in half the time and then connected to the BTS.

Look worldwide (especially Australia and the UK) and you will see that all airport links have trouble attracting business. The reason is that all passengers start or end their journey from home or a hotel and airport links pick up and deposit passengers in cities. So people are generally lazy and take cabs.

The Bangkok Airport link is just the first step in alleviating future road congestion; it probably wasn't meant to be convenient and profitable.

I used the rail link shortly after it fist opened. After 13 hours of flying cattle class and a 4 hour stop over in the Gulf I was looking forward to a nice train ride and avoiding the perils of a Bangkok taxi. But what a disappointment when I got to Makkasan Station, virtually no sinage, miles to walk, tumble weed rolling around the place. Then no taxi to take me the couple of km or so to my hotel on Sukhumwit Road. But look on the bright side; this was still pure luxury compared to dragging luggage around the London Underground! :D

Hmmm, it does connect directly to Phaya Thai BTS, but I definitely reckon that they have put the wrong type of seats in the (budget 45b) train- 2 long slippery plastic rows in the direction of travel, so you slide along together when the train starts and stops. Also why does the express train only go as far as Makkasan, if it went all the way to Phaya Thai I would take it.

I have to disagree with Cheap Charlie.

So you ended up at On Nut and then had to carry your bags up to the BTS, pay more money, and go through yet another set of barriers. You could have been at Phaya Thai in half the time and then connected to the BTS.

Look worldwide (especially Australia and the UK) and you will see that all airport links have trouble attracting business. The reason is that all passengers start or end their journey from home or a hotel and airport links pick up and deposit passengers in cities. So people are generally lazy and take cabs.

The Bangkok Airport link is just the first step in alleviating future road congestion; it probably wasn't meant to be convenient and profitable.

It would depend where he lived or was going to. I live right at On Nut. During non rush hour times and with no big luggage (the mini vans cannot handle them), the mini vans are fantastic...30 baht, gets from Swampy to BTS On Nut in around 40-45 minutes, and there is no climbing/sweating to be done, as you go from free airport shuttle directly to minivan. With a large pack or during rush hour, I use the Airport Link. From On Nut, 40 baht to Phaya Thai and 45 baht local train. As I have a prepaid BTS card, I tend to think of it only in terms of 45 baht, but the mini van is still cheaper. Timing is the same, as it is roughly 20 minutes to Phaya Thai on the BTS and 25 to Swampy with the local train. Only difference is it is a guaranteed 45 minutes, whereas the mini van run is traffic dependent.

I think the Airport Link is absolutely fantastic. You ought to know that what you bring on a trip is what you are going to need to haul. You want air con convenience and no walking up stairs, then pay the extra baht for a taxi and sit in traffic. I also think that the local line is far better than the express train. Why pay the extra 100 baht or whatever it is to save all of 7 minutes? And believe me, if you have ever sat in a taxi or bus on Petchaburi during high traffic, it is nothing short of a miracle to be able to go from Phaya Thai to Ramkamhaeng in 7 minutes or so.

I never used the Airport link as I live around Don muang airport and we have nothing here in terms of Suvarnabhumi transportation .So the only way is Taxi , and prices of taxi in here are very cheap compare with Europe.

Not quite true I think?

I have used the 555 several times and its no problem.

Don Muang Airport DMK

There are many bus and van services between Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang Airports:

No. 554 Suvarnabhumi - Don Muang:

Suvarnabhumi - Ram Indra Road - Lak Si - Vibhavadi Rangsit Road - Don Muang.

No. 555 Suvarnabhumi - Rangsit (Expressway):

Department of Employment - PTT Don - Muang - Vibhavadi Rangsit Junction – Rangsit.

When traveling in groups of 2 or more people the taxi is still the most economical and convenient way.

Especially when each person has 2 bags and a carry on and/or laptop. It is almost impossible to drag 2 bags and a carry-on all the way on the train by yourself. A quick business trip with one bag is one thing. But a pack of tourists on a group tour or a Thai family is another.

My suggestion is to extend the rail link east to Chonburi/Pattaya/Rayong. I mean they are practically half way there. However they will have to compete with the motorway/tollway/tour bus/limosine mafia.

Agree.Compare it with any other train link airport-station in Europe, and the ARL isn't so bad at all.The price is a fraction of what you would pay in Europe: it is quick,reliable and brings you to different locations in the city ( which is usually not the case in Europe).The only point which could be improved: let it run 24 hours a day, many passengers arriving late in the night cannnot benefit from it.Well, you haver to carry you luggage... so what? IT'S NOT A TAXI, IT'S A PUBLIC SERVICE...

Was the article paid for by the TAXI mafia? Makes me wonder.

I'd take the Airport Rai Link anytime. Hate it when I have to argue with taxi drivers who try to scam me. You don't get that with the ARL.

No traffic jams on the ARL. Once the train starts moving from Makasan Station - you are almost sure that you will get to Swampy in less than 1/2 hour. With a taxi, you never know when you'll get there. Just adds to a travellers anxiety - which I don't need.

So you can diss the ARL all you want but it's still a great way of travelling between Swampy and downtown Bkk.

When me and my bro were accompanying my mom to the airport I took a taxi with my mom and aunt while my bro took the airport link w his girlfriend.

The taxi got there 45 minutes BEFORE the airport link train.

Had my mom gone with my brother she would have missed her flight.

Airport Link is S H I T E .

Only ever used the airport express coming into Bangkok. When I was staying near Makkasan, it was good and less than 45 baht.... when a taxi could be had (night time arrival)!

Now I am staying in Mongers End, the taxi's seem easier to get (daytime arrival) but then you have the time killer of traffic or worse still, rain-soaked traffic!

I still reckon they should have a clock showing the times of the next train departure somewhere on the Arrivals level. That way one could decide if a taxi or train is fastest since sometimes the wait for the express is almost 30 minutes. At the moment, you take a chance of going all the way down to the express level to find that it would have been quicker to grab a limo or cab upstairs!

I haven't tried using it on the way out since both the Rachada and Mongers End locations were good for taxi's and access to the expressway. Taking a taxi to Makkasan to catch a train would only be as quick as a direct taxi if, once again, there was no waiting for the train.

As for the idea of turning the Makkasan station wide open spaces into some retail jamboree; it goes with the prevailing mentality if you have wide open spaces, let the unlicensed vendors set up shop and block access to rent paying and tax paying shop owners. Just like Patpong and the super-wide sidewalks around Rajdamri and MBK. Seems like the reasoning is, "If we slow the pedestrians down enough, they will forget where they are supposed to be going and browse the stalls, spend money, relax, eat and sanuk will prevail."

...while they miss their flights!

The Failure of Common Sense

Larry's comments above are also spot-on... as with the OP in this thread...

To put it simply, the real operational and logistical problems are with the line as a supposed airport express line... For that purpose, it's a terrible and little used mess for the various reasons cited above and others...

But operating as a local commuter line within BKK, it functions reasonably well... and seems to draw pretty good local ridership.

Although in either case, fixing (to whatever extent they can) the short-sighted lack of convenient access to the MRT line from the Makkasan ARL station, and vehicle flow in and out of Makkasan, would be a big help...

As with so many things here, someone had a pretty decent idea to start... But they ended up falling down badly when it came to properly executing it.