Acyclovir: 500% Price Difference At 2 Thai Pharmacies

ItDontMeanAThing

Acyclovir 200 mg at Fascino is 175 bt for 25 tabs, while it's 875 bt at Boots in the same mall. That's 5 times as much.

Did one of these pharmacies make a mistake on the 'per unit' of their price? A box has 5 strips of 5 tabs each. The Boots price is 175 per strip, same as Fascino's price per box.

Googled the drug price and found next to nothing. Only reference was in a 3 year old post that said the cost was 150-200 bt for 2-3 days worth - at unknown dose size or frequency.

Would it just be easier to ask the forum what is the typical price for Acyclovir 200 mg?

check if the medicine is the same in both places. THere may be a locally manafactured one in one case and a foreign one at the other.

I know Augmentin1000 in a good local brand packed in foil in a box is 280 baht for a 10 tab pack. They also have the same medicine but foreign brand for 850 baht.

Are you sure it was the same brand? As acylovir is available here under several.

If really the same brand then indeed one of these 2 stores made a mistake in price. If it's an imported brand then it was probably Fascino's mistake i.e. they charged you for a box what should have been the price for a strip. if a locally made brand then vice versa.

Boots does run higher than elsewhere but not by that much for the exact same thing.

Did one of these pharmacies make a mistake on the 'per unit' of their price? A box has 5 strips of 5 tabs each. The Boots price is 175 per strip, same as Fascino's price per box.

I think you might be onto something there.

Several years ago, I encountered a similar pricing situation -- can't even recall now what the substance was -- but the problem turned out to be that one store had put a price tag for a full *box* (i.e. multiple strips of tablets/capsules) as the price of a single strip. I bet Boots screwed up, in your case.

At the other Boots in town the price is 185 per strip for the Boots brand generic, so the price per strip was not a mistake. Surprised me to see the 500% price discrepancy for a drug that's easy to manufacture. Could be their marketing strategy or the other generics are 1/5th the price because they contain no active ingredients.

Boots also offered an import from Australia manufactured by Schering Ploughat 300 per strip (?? number of tabs, 6 or 7 IIRC).

Welcome to the pharmaceutical industry. Just about everything costs very little to make once the R&D is done. And then when the R&D is done, they try to pitch it to you that most of their revenue goes towards more R&D when in reality much of it goes towards marketing.

:)