Ants In My Laptop

watutsi

Rent a Giant Anteater. ;)

Sorry I was joking, did you drop some liquid in your laptop ? I know that if you have ants in a box of sugar, exposing the box in the sun will make the ants leave. Maybe worth a try ?

Put your laptop in the sun and the ants will go away or die....

Remove your keyboard as you HAVE to clean your laptop inside to make sure all ants are gone including the dead ones!

Good luck

Cloggie

Edited by Cloggie

I have repaired a few laptops from small thai sugar ants living inside. I have used two methods of removal, first would be placing the laptop in the hot sun without the battery or dvd drive if you can. This takes a few hours for temp to get hot enough for the queen to leave. The heat will not hurt the laptop off with the battery removed, laptops can take very high temps, but be sure not to put the screen in direct sunlight. Best to close your laptop to protect the screen. Second I use a small plate with sugar water about 6cm from the laptop and as the ants come out to eat the sugar water I kill them on the plate. It works like a charm. The second might sound a bit odd but it has worked on laptops and ink jet printers with little effort. I would also look online for instructions on how to remove your keyboard which isn't too difficult for laptops and check for any dead ants under the keyboard. I have seen ants short laptop motherboards.

Edited by gosompoi

It does not have to be that you have spilled anything in your computer. Research have shown that certain species of ants are attracted to electric fields, and wireless signals generate fairly strong electric fields.

A year ago, my iMac looked like an ant farm! I switched off the wifi and bluetooth, and they slowly dissapeard. After they were gone, I had it cleaned, and now I always have a ant killer box lying under my desk to take care of future invaders!

Edited by jamora

I would stick the notebook in a plastic bag with a biscuit-like pad from an electric mosquito killer and leave over night.

mosquito_killer_refill_m1_e11dce05bb074a4d08ab5ff5e54b53ca.jpg

Then you can remove the keyboard. (Easy there are a few little plastic tabs that hold it in if you look carefully) Then vacuum or blow out the dead ants.

If you want you can combine this with the sun treatment.

Edited by VocalNeal

• 7 months later...

Ants can be a hugh problem for all electric / electronic devices and I have not found a proper solution besides to be very, very clean. To destroy nests I got the hint to put borax-powder near the (nests) problem-sites. I had various damages, luckily not (yet) in the computers, in electric house-hold equipment as television, microwave, thermostats, you name it and all resulted in short-circuits or burnt printed circuits. Be alert and spray before the damage(s) occurred! Amazing, and luckily was that they only messed around the 220-Volts tension and the rectifiers so causing short-circuits and that side of the electronics are a bit easier to clean / repair by amateurs. Some examples here:

http://www.antoni-uni-photography.com/THAILAND/TECHNICAL-STUFF/Ants-nuisance/22508672_2s3X36#!i=782773899&k=HViHF

Be also alert at house-geckos laying their eggs in for them convenient places! I have lost two printers. The new one I put in a 100% closed cupboard.

House-gecko eggs:

http://www.antoni-uni-photography.com/Fauna-Antoniuni/Lizards/Common-House-Gecko/18900755_BJMdqB#!i=1465789964&k=TpN2q5F&lb=1&s=A

Ants can be a hugh problem for all electric / electronic devices and I have not found a proper solution besides to be very, very clean. To destroy nests I got the hint to put borax-powder near the (nests) problem-sites. I had various damages, luckily not (yet) in the computers, in electric house-hold equipment as television, microwave, thermostats, you name it and all resulted in short-circuits or burnt printed circuits. Be alert and spray before the damage(s) occurred! Amazing, and luckily was that they only messed around the 220-Volts tension and the rectifiers so causing short-circuits and that side of the electronics are a bit easier to clean / repair by amateurs. Some examples here:

http://www.antoni-un...2773899&k=HViHF

Be also alert at house-geckos laying their eggs in for them convenient places! I have lost two printers. The new one I put in a 100% closed cupboard.

House-gecko eggs:

http://www.antoni-un...pN2q5F&lb=1&s=A

Yes, we hear of borax in every thread about ants. Trouble is, it's hard to find any borax in Thailand. So if you wanna be real helpful, tell us what shops in Thailand sell it, notably in BKK or PTY.