Bank Employee Grilled In Safe Deposit Box Thefts

Lite Beer

My box back in the US with Bank of America requires my palm print, a code, and a key to access it. Otherwise, the vault is under video screening 24/7. This Thai "safety" deposit box sounds like something out of the 19th century.

Gosh, what do you keep in such a secure box? A secret map to the location of El Dorado and The Lost City of Gold?

My box back in the US with Bank of America requires my palm print, a code, and a key to access it. Otherwise, the vault is under video screening 24/7. This Thai "safety" deposit box sounds like something out of the 19th century.

Gosh, what do you keep in such a secure box? A secret map to the location of El Dorado and The Lost City of Gold?

Gold. Lots of gold. And silver. About 200 lbs. Some rare coins to boot. Been buying gold since it was $260/oz and silver since it was $8/oz. It takes three people to take the box out of its slot.

If the safety deposit box was tossed into a good fire, you would have a GRILLED bank employer :lol:

If the safety deposit box was tossed into a good fire, you would have a GRILLED bank employer :lol:

You lost me on that one pal, but I am sure it was funny when you wrote it.

Good reason to buy a good high quality safe with dual custody locks and not one of these B25K things that are fire safes then bolt to the floor

Its worth having a good safe for as a decoy and for items that aren't that valuable. But with the advent and easy availability of plasma cutters I doubt most safes would stand for long these days. I lost the combination to a Chubb Euro 3 safe, it took 4 hours for a trained guy to take the lock out, but thats because he didn't want to damage the safe. A portable plasma cutter could have gone through it in minutes.

Edited by Chopperboy

Good reason to buy a good high quality safe with dual custody locks and not one of these B25K things that are fire safes then bolt to the floor

Its worth having a good safe for as a decoy and for items that aren't that valuable. But with the advent and easy availability of plasma cutters I doubt most safe would stand for long these days. I lost the combination to a Chubb Euro 3 safe, it took 4 hours for a trained guy to take the lock out, but thats because he didn't want to damage the safe. A plasma cutter could have gone through it in minutes.

That's why banks don't have safes sitting on the side of the road - they build security around them (cameras, alarms, sensors, security personnel, etc) as any safe can be opened given the right equipment and skill set - its ust how much noise, mess and vibration you can get away with and for how long.

Home safes are usually hidden and put in high use or night use areas (lounges and bedrooms).

If its the people you trust to keep the security of the safe/box that are the culprits, then there is no sokution outside of voting with your feet.

Thumb print analysers can be bought for pennies these days and run by normal PCs, it should not break any bank to add a little technology to the mix to make it less attractive to an opportunist (or even comitted) theif.

Its worth having a good safe for as a decoy and for items that aren't that valuable. But with the advent and easy availability of plasma cutters I doubt most safe would stand for long these days. I lost the combination to a Chubb Euro 3 safe, it took 4 hours for a trained guy to take the lock out, but thats because he didn't want to damage the safe. A plasma cutter could have gone through it in minutes.

That's why banks don't have safes sitting on the side of the road - they build security around them (cameras, alarms, sensors, security personnel, etc) as any safe can be opened given the right equipment and skill set - its ust how much noise, mess and vibration you can get away with and for how long.

Home safes are usually hidden and put in high use or night use areas (lounges and bedrooms).

If its the people you trust to keep the security of the safe/box that are the culprits, then there is no sokution outside of voting with your feet.

Thumb print analysers can be bought for pennies these days and run by normal PCs, it should not break any bank to add a little technology to the mix to make it less attractive to an opportunist (or even comitted) theif.

As you say the more layers of deterrent the better. But at the end of the day most people will find a way to open a safe if a gun is put to their head - it happened to a businessman I know in Phuket. So my opinion, better to keep them as a target/ decoy with something in them rather than really valuable items.

My bank safe contains the documents difficult to replace: birth certificate, chanote, the likes.

Personal safe (in the bedroom) contains oftenly-used items: Passport, cufflinks, etc.

Neither has anything of real value for a thief, simply because I am not rich. But I wouldn't want to go through the headache of having to replace any of these items.