Dismal State Of Thai Education

sriracha john

Despite all the governmental rhetoric and posturing, the future for most Thais looks bleak if the education they receive is any benchmark:

55% of secondary schools fail grade

Published on November 05, 2005

Fifty-five per cent of secondary schools across the country, mostly small-scale government-run institutions, have failed national educational standard requirements, a seminar on education reforms was told yesterday.

According to a report by the Office for National Education Standards and Quality Assessment (ONESQA) released during the seminar, the remaining 45 per cent of the schools are either prestigious or located in Bangkok or other urban areas.

Education Minister Chaturon Chaisang said the last six years of reform had mostly involved the restructuring of the ministry’s structure and promulgation of more than 50 laws.

Perhaps sometime in the next six years, something might actually be done to reform and improve the quality of the schools themselves. They might even consider including that in the next set of "50 laws." :D

The revision of the school curriculum is vital to the scheme but has not been implemented, he said. The same goes for instructional development of teachers

and personnel, and improved student learning methods.

No need to hurry, Khun Chaturon. Take your time. Your fellow Thais can wait until 2011 for better schools.

Quoting the ONESQA report, he said most students lacked analytical skills and failed to meet requirements in basic academic proficiency: the average score of six graders in mathematics was 44 per cent, 42 per cent in science, and below 50 per cent in Thai.

Such a sad indictment of what these bumbling overseers at the Education Ministry have produced. Their ineptitude and imcompetence have condemned the next generation to a lifetime of mediocrity... and that is disheartening. :o

Ninth graders need extra tutorials because they cannot achieve reading comprehension on their own, and vocational school students have to be given basic training by their employers.

College education cannot be fully developed because the University Under Government Supervision Bill has not yet been put into effect, he added.

Chaturon said he would push for reforms at this level without waiting for the bill, but would instruct all universities to take active roles by brainstorming to identify problems and working out their own solutions.

He said he would also push for a standardised national ranking of local schools and universities to encourage self-development among institutions before aborting the international ranking.

ONESQA chairman Olarn Chaiprawat told the seminar he would employ technology-based measures to make all schools pass the national standard requirements in the next three years.

------------

Thais deserve better than this... I'm waiting for them to demand it.. :D

The squandering of Thailand's bountiful resources by the elitist can only be tolerated for so long.

The long-suffering back of the average Thai has carried them long enough.

The difference now is that more and more of them have begun to realize that education is the key to changing the status quo. Their impatience is wearing thin as they see no progress being made in an area they are now learning is essential in order for the next generation to improve their lives.

The average Thai puts a great deal of emphasis on their offspring. While it might often be misplaced, more are learning how to make that less so. They want the government to support the education of their children... and when the government so often misses the mark on the public's desire for improving that, more frustration results.

I'm hoping that the public's intolerance to more delay, due to a faulty educational system, in the realization of their dreams becomes even more vocal.

Every time the rights of the public pervail... whether it's getting the Skytrain extension connecting Thonburi to EGAT getting bumped off the SET to TRT Party's defeat in 3 of 4 races last week... it strengthens their resolve.

Sadly, even the major English language newspapers seem to have trouble

with simple arithmetic. Nary a day goes by but where the scribes have "helpfully"

added the Thai Baht equivalent of a dollar figure in brackets, and made a total

c@ck up of it !

In my neighborhood a lot of parents change the official place of residence for their children to family members and friends in Muang (the capital) and then register them in the good schools there. They bus them there every day. Many Thais understand the poor quality of education in the small villages and take action to get a good education for their kids. Unfortunately this only solves the problem for a few.

I somehow doubt the standard in Bkk is much better.

Also, I agrre that many Thai want better education for their kids and themselves, but strangely, the 'kids must have fun' at school is still more important than the standard of learning... :o

40-50 years ago, the more diligent Thais would come to live in Bangkok, sometimes by themselves to pursue a better education.  It's these folks and their children who now rule the country.   

Rubbish. ye largest percentage of the elite immigrated to Bangkok from China. They still compromise the majority of the ruling elite along with the older, yet numerically smaller, Thai elite that held high sakdina values back before the slaves were free. The two groups have intermarried ( mostly Chinese boys marrying upper class Thai girls) creating a mildly integrated elite, an elite that is still apart from the mainstream Thai majority. Skinner, IMHO, had in arse backwards as the old Thai elite assimilated towards Teo Chiu culture rather than the other way around.

To claim that the "diligent" Thais came to Bangkok for a better education is elitist nonsense. Most Thais came down to Bangkok to work as laborers or sex workers as there was little opportunity in the villages. If they were lucky they might save enough money to return to the village to buy a tiny parcel of land or open a small shop. Or they might be stuck in the poorer areas of Bangkok where the public education is no better than in the villages. Their children have not much better oppotunities than the parents had.

I have had close connections to the rural school system in Chiang Mai for deacades. (The rural teachers are one of the best sources for intelligence, for keeping abreast of what is going on along the border areas as well as being great drinking buddies.) There are many good teachers and of course also some real scum bags who have been chased out of villages only to be relocated in the education system, just like the bad cops are simply relocated. But the problem is not the teachers but the pathetic lack of funding along with a methodology that insures no critical thinking takes place either at the schools or at the provincial teacher colleges. Better to build a new airport with ample opportunity for kickbacks and land sales deals than improve the education system where there is little personal economic opportunity other than petty corruption for milk, books, and test score kickbacks. Besides, the elite does not want competition for their spoiled spawn.

Before everyone starts rolling their eyes and saying "I told you so." These education figures almost exactly mimic figures from many western countries.

Considering the money spent in, say, the USA for example, the failing of educational systems is a far more serious problem in so called developed countries. They spend hundreds of times the money per student compared to Thailand. They have all the modern resources from computers, audio, video, to libraries, internet, etc., etc. and the results are just as abysmal.

The problem, IMHO, lies in modern society and not in the education system. Todays children are brought up by a combination of televised drivel, Hollywood morals, and high pressure to achieve false goals promulgated by advertising executives and corporate greed.

The most important thing that every western child learns from the cradle on is to blame someone else. No matter what happens, point the finger at the next guy.

rant over I feel much better.

'nuff said

Before everyone starts rolling their eyes and saying "I told you so."  These education figures almost exactly mimic figures from many western countries.

Considering the money spent in, say, the USA for example, the failing of educational systems is a far more serious problem in so called developed countries.  They spend hundreds of times the money per student compared to Thailand.  They have all the modern resources from computers, audio, video, to libraries, internet, etc., etc. and the results are just as abysmal.

The problem, IMHO, lies in modern society and not in the education system.  Todays children are brought up by a combination of televised drivel, Hollywood morals, and high pressure to achieve false goals promulgated by advertising executives and corporate greed.

The most important thing that every western child learns from the cradle on is to blame someone else.  No matter what happens, point the finger at the next guy.

rant over  I feel much better.

'nuff said

Not enough said, spot on, the dumbing down of western culture knows no depths; look at the tabloid trash in the UK, compare the standard of English in movies to 50 years ago, Hollywood grunts and 'blow you away' today compared to Cagney's and Bogart's eloquent monologues.

Read Joseph Conrad, intricate, imaginative and detailed on every page and then turn to Sydney Sheldon where a chapter can be covered in 5 minutes.

40-50 years ago, the more diligent Thais would come to live in Bangkok, sometimes by themselves to pursue a better education.   It's these folks and their children who now rule the country.    

*rubbish deleted* ye largest percentage of the elite immigrated to Bangkok from China. They still compromise the majority of the ruling elite along with the older, yet numerically smaller, Thai elite that held high sakdina values back before the slaves were free. The two groups have intermarried ( mostly Chinese boys marrying upper class Thai girls) creating a mildly integrated elite, an elite that is still apart from the mainstream Thai majority.

To claim that the "diligent" Thais came to Bangkok for a better education......

*more rubbish deleted*

Actually I AM referring to the Thai Chinese who moved to Bangkok who did not originate in China... but rather whose parents, grandparents, etc. settled in Trat, Hat Yai, Songkla, Chiang Mai, etc. etc. Yes, typically all Thai Chinese, but also ethnic Thais supported/sponsored by Thai Chinese families. Naturally, those who were already in Bangkok didn't have to move anywhere since they were already located where the grass was greenest.

I don't think it's really relevant that you don't consider them Thai just because they (we) rule the country. Those who spend their lives covered in the dust of Thai soil aren't more Thai just because they are covered in dirt OR because they got here a few hundred years early... neither are the Thai Indians/Pakistanis/Sikhs who pretty much "just got here," although I certainly understand your sympathy for them.

:o

Edited by Heng

Before everyone starts rolling their eyes and saying "I told you so."  These education figures almost exactly mimic figures from many western countries.

'nuff said

Not to be argumentative, but I would like to see where you received your information. According to reports I've been following from the National Center for Educational Statistics, the national standards, at least in the US, for math are increasing significantly. Source: Nations Report Card

Another longetudinal study done from 1973-2004 indicates an increase in academic proficiency as well. Source: Math Scores-13 Year Olds

For a list of rankings and percentiles, the US Dept of Education offers scores in various subjects. The 2005 data is not yet available, but will be in 2006. According to the folks running this, they do anticipate an increase in proficiency this year.

I am not surprised by Thailand's scores, however. As others have mentioned, parents expect fun over quality and expect their children to pass regardless of performance since the education is bought. They can have all the laws they wish here, but like everything else, unless the laws are enforced they are not worth the paper they are written on.

Furthermore, it does appear that the requirements for learning, teaching, curricculum, etc are changed far to often, and there is no stability or even accountability anywhere. It will take more than some minister standing up and proclaiming he/she is enacting new laws, or that the structure of the environment will change. Worthless and a total waste of time.

Continuity in education, making students much more responsible for their education, making parents understand that money is not the key to an education, and also make it clear that cheating, at any age, is never acceptable and should be dealt with strictly. Students copy students, teachers/parents doing childrens homework...this stuff must stop if they want to see any increase in proficiency.

Other sources:

Nations Report Card: Homepage

Nations Report Card: Age Levels

Considering the money spent in, say, the USA for example, the failing of educational systems is a far more serious problem in so called developed countries.  They spend hundreds of times the money per student compared to Thailand.  They have all the modern resources from computers, audio, video, to libraries, internet, etc., etc. and the results are just as abysmal.

The problem, IMHO, lies in modern society and not in the education system.  Todays children are brought up by a combination of televised drivel, Hollywood morals, and high pressure to achieve false goals promulgated by advertising executives and corporate greed.

The most important thing that every western child learns from the cradle on is to blame someone else.  No matter what happens, point the finger at the next guy.

rant over  I feel much better.

'nuff said

Interesting take. :o

Do you have links to reports in the Western world that record similar scores at those ages in those countries??

:D

'nuff said

Not to be argumentative, but I would like to see where you received your information. According to reports I've been following from the National Center for Educational Statistics, the national standards, at least in the US, for math are increasing significantly. Source: Nations Report Card

Thank you for the links, frodo. The statistics cited confirmed what I suspected.

While there's always room for improvement, the numbers show significant differences from the "dismal state of thai education."

yes, Thai education is in a dismal state, but as a developing nation it is a priority on the government agenda. The main problem in going forward is that the basic infrastructure for training new teachers and getting better results is just not there.

Comparing results to other countries such as the US and UK is meaningless and does not accomplish anything. Those results are often politically manipulated anyway; it seems relatively easy to obtain 4 straight "A"s nowadays which was previously something to be amazed at.

As to the comparisons between the old films and books made by one poster, that was very selective. There were stupid films and books before, and there are intelligent ones today...you just have to go to the right cinema or book store.

Comparing results to other countries such as the US and UK is meaningless and does not accomplish anything.

- particularly when the statistics are compiled by completely different bodies in different countries presumably using their own methods etc. etc.

I believe there is good reason for the worries about the Thai education system, particularly over the implementation of much-needed reforms, but it's certainly true to say that there are worries over basic levels of education in the UK too:

Teaching of 3 Rs in 'crisis', says CBI

Press Association

Thursday November 3, 2005

The number of pupils leaving school without mastering the three Rs has reached "crisis" proportions, the CBI warned today.

Sir Digby Jones, CBI director-general, called for schools to be better funded so children could be taught in smaller classes.

In an interview with Teachers' TV News, Sir Digby said: "We've got something like a fifth of the adult population in this country who can't read, write or count.

"We've got half the kids who do a GCSE in the summer not getting grade C or above in English and maths.

"This is a crisis. We're the fourth biggest economy on Earth, we're one of the greatest trading nations on the planet and we haven't even got half the school leavers equipped to deal with the world.

"So it's of crisis proportion," he said.

"Business has the right surely to turn round to a school and say: 'What are you doing to deliver kids who can read, write and count?' "I don't think teachers can run away from that."

Sir Digby also called for education to be 'better funded than it is', to provide more teachers and smaller class sizes.

He welcomed more government investment in education but said there was "another long way to go".

Sir Digby said more attention should be given to teaching foreign languages such as Spanish and Mandarin.

"We're lucky. We speak the global language of business and someone who doesn't learn any other language can get by in the world because of English," he said.

"But if you were going to equip a child today to get on in the 21st century and you were anywhere in the world you'd teach them three languages - you'd teach them English first, you'd teach them Spanish second and you'd teach them Mandarin third."

A spokesman for the Department for Education said ministers had made "record investment" in education.

"We have the best ever results in English and maths - 85,000 more pupils are now leaving primary schools with the expected level of English and 95,000 in maths.

"This year's GCSE results not only showed a record number achieving five good GCSEs but also the biggest rise in maths pass rate for five years and further increases the number achieving English GCSE.

"We agree that languages for business are vital and we're glad to see ever increasing numbers of pupils opting for languages such as Mandarin Chinese."

Either I'm missing something here or else most everyone else is. The original post is about a presentation made about the quality of the SCHOOLS in Thailand, not the quality of the STUDENTS. My understanding is that they were discussing whether the SCHOOL is up to standards. This might include things like do they have an indoor play area, do they have enough toilets, are all the teachers fully qualified, how many books are in the library, is there a blackboard in every classroom, is there a fully functioning copy machine, is there an after school sports program, etc. Until we understand exactly what standards they are using to determine that 55% fail (this means 55% of the schools, not the students) we will not be able to make good sense of this article......or else I'm missing the point entirely which is, of course, very possible.

Either I'm missing something here or else most everyone else is.  The original post is about a presentation made about the quality of the SCHOOLS in Thailand, not the quality of the STUDENTS.  My understanding is that they were discussing whether the SCHOOL is up to standards.  This might include things like do they have an indoor play area, do they have enough toilets, are all the teachers fully qualified, how many books are in the library, is there a blackboard in every classroom, is there a fully functioning copy machine, is there an after school sports program, etc.  Until we understand exactly what standards they are using to determine that 55% fail (this means 55% of the schools, not the students) we will not be able to make good sense of this article......or else I'm missing the point entirely which is, of course, very possible.

no you are right, but the failure is in the grades achieved, never mind the state of the buildings

yes, Thai education is in a dismal state, but as a developing nation it is a priority on the government agenda. The main problem in going forward is that the basic infrastructure for training new teachers and getting better results is just not there.

Comparing results to other countries such as the US and UK is meaningless and does not accomplish anything. Those results are often politically manipulated anyway; it seems relatively easy to obtain 4 straight "A"s nowadays which was previously something to be amazed at.

As to the comparisons between the old films and books made by one poster, that was very selective. There were stupid films and books before, and there are intelligent ones today...you just have to go to the right cinema or book store.

True SiamOne, but look at the standard of English on most of the threads on thaivisa, littered with basic spelling and grammar errors; and these are mostly from educated people who had the intelligence to flee their barren lands for the paradise that is Thailand.....

Western figures look good......that because they make the examinations easier each year.

For sure Thailand has issues with its education system.

Have you ever had the displeasure to come into contact with the vile, unemployable, disrespectful dross that is being churned out of inner city schools in England lately?

:o

I concur with the pessimists.

You'd be stunned by what a generation of thoughtless automatons is being churned out by Western schools and unis. The elite there has caught on to the Thai modus operandi: stupid people borrow (from you) and spend more (on your goods), more often. It's globalization - a global elite and a global "Big Brother/Pop Idol" watching, debt-laden underclass.

The classic roots of ancient Greek logical thinking are withering on the vine in the West: don't ask why, just buy something!

Beware.

:D:D:o

True SiamOne, but look at the standard of English on most of the threads on thaivisa, littered with basic spelling and grammar errors; and these are mostly from educated people who had the intelligence to flee their barren lands for the paradise that is Thailand.....

I agree with you on that. I notice a lot of very basic spelling and grammar problems here. I think most of them from English speaking people too!!

Whether they are educated or not is the question.

I believe that part of the education any child should receive MUST include some sort of "rules for life", not just the basic curriculum. e.g. respect for other people and the environment

Maybe the complaints about many young people in US and UK are because these rules are missing?

Spelling: With these wonderful spellcheckers we have these days why is it necessary to have perfect spelling? You could also argue that this is only a forum, where people casually chat without pressure to be perfect in their grammar and spelling. I like concpets much more than correctly spelt words.

(Ironically I would bet large amounts of money thet the average native english speaker would do worse on than my students on their reported speech exams - I'm serious)

Which leads me to my 2nd point. I'm not sure about the whole naming of schools policy here but I happen to work in a school that is very good, Srisatch. If all students were as good as mine...... (I'm not blowing my trumpet, I accpept that I am lucky to be where I am).

3rdly I didn't think kids were allowed to fail here is LOS???!!!

Supposedly they have passed a law allowing the schools to hold back students who do not attain a passing grade. To improve education in Thailand the process has to start with the government. To allow a student to drop out of school after 6th grade is unheard of in the western world. To have a standard where the passing grade is 50% is discusting. These are the future leaders of Thailand. Until the government raises the standard of education this stupidness will continue.

I have a freind in Surin who is a headmaster of a primary school. He has worked hard all his life to make sure the standards in his school exceeds the governmental standards. He personally has three children, and through his hard work he has educated all three children to a high standard. One daughter is a doctor, one is a school teacher, and his son is a nurse. Now if more parents would take the same interest the future development of this country would progress at a faster pace.

Barry