What Kind Of Motor Oil Do You Use ?

KRS1

Changed the oil out yesterday and used Castrol Power One (Trizone) in a CBR 150. I must say this is some pretty good stuff, last oil i used was standard PTT stuff i had to use since I changed it at a friends shop. That lasted about 1500 kilos before the oil broke down (i redline daily) and almost lost all slipperyness, timing chain chattered, acceleration decreased enormously, top speed went down and felt like i was riding around with my rear brakes on it was that bad.

If you use Mobile 1, this Castrol Power One is a viable alternative. The shop i went to was on Chang Puak road on your left right before hitting the route 11 intersection. Nice classy guy too and a very clean shop. The oil is authentic for sure. Castrol stickers everywhere in the shop and multiple seller of the year awards hanging up.

It's the stuff in the gold bottle.Looks like This Bottle 165 baht. The racing version looks Like This and is fully synthetic and cost 465 baht per bottle. I used the regular stuff. Beware of fakes selling for 120 baht.

Edited by KRS1

In the past I liked the castrol oils but they discontinued the 20W-50 product ,so I was forced to find other brands which supply 20W-50 (heaver viscosity oil is better in a hot climate) so I settled on the Motul product. One tip that I will share with all that dont already know, DO NOT use friction modified oils if your bike has a wet clutch!

Its getting cool and nippy up here in CNX right around now :)

Post prices if you got them fellas.

Horsepower weather and for the life of me,I can't remember what I paid for the oil? I purchased the Putoline oil from Sa-Moto in Chiaang Mai.

I use Putoline motorcycle oil myself. Fortunately with having a dry clutch, there are no issues using with fully synthetic oils in my bike.

I'm also using Putoline oil in my GSXR, fully synthetic (Syntec 4) 10w/40.

Can't remember the exact price but I'm pretty sure it was 1800 baht for 4 litres (give or take 100 baht). Pretty expensive IMO - I thought I'd been ripped off until I got home and checked the price on the websites but it turned out to be about right.

I read quite a bit about using fully synthetic oil in bikes with wet clutches before I used it and the conclusion was that there was no problem. The print on the back of the bottle states that it is totally compatible with all modern motorbike clutches. I'm sure that means nothing in Thailand but in the West they'd be in trouble pretty quickly if that statement wasn't true. I've had no problems with it at all - I'll continue using it as long as I keep the bike.

yamalube seems to be good sh1t but ive seen people putting cheapest crappiest car oil from the big C or tesco lotus in their bikes and it didnt seem to do any damage so im not so sure if these super-expensive oils are worth the money

I use the Veloil 20w50 (white and purple bottle) in my Phantom. Only 120 baht for a 1 litre bottle.

I've tried the Honda, PTT and Castrol 10w-40 and also Honda 10w-30 oils and they all seemed a bit too thin when it's hot (plus the Phantom engine seems to run pretty hot as it is).

I've tried to find other 20w-50 oils around Chiang Rai and only found a "Top Formula 1 - XM" brand which was ok, but more expensive and no better than the Veloil.

The Veloil lasts 2000km. You can feel it's losing it's viscosity over the last 500km or so.

i got a boxer 250 rs serviced at the tiger centre on saturday and the mechanic asked me if id like him to put good quality oil or bad quality oil in it :whistling:

he showed me 2 bottles ,one was 110 thb (motul regular i think ) and the other was motul synthetic at 290 thb

just out of interest i asked him how much differnce will it make :)

he said " your engine last longer if we put better oil "

i said ok ,lets put the "good" oil in it then :D

I use Putoline motorcycle oil myself. Fortunately with having a dry clutch, there are no issues using with fully synthetic oils in my bike.

I'm also using Putoline oil in my GSXR, fully synthetic (Syntec 4) 10w/40.

Can't remember the exact price but I'm pretty sure it was 1800 baht for 4 litres (give or take 100 baht). Pretty expensive IMO - I thought I'd been ripped off until I got home and checked the price on the websites but it turned out to be about right.

I read quite a bit about using fully synthetic oil in bikes with wet clutches before I used it and the conclusion was that there was no problem. The print on the back of the bottle states that it is totally compatible with all modern motorbike clutches. I'm sure that means nothing in Thailand but in the West they'd be in trouble pretty quickly if that statement wasn't true. I've had no problems with it at all - I'll continue using it as long as I keep the bike.

Hi JonnyF,

I agree with your review and the oil is good for wet clutches. I'm running 15W50 Putoline. I would prefer a sightly heavier weight oil 20W50, but their synthetics only go as the 155W0 it would seem.

edit: I take it back it would seem they do but it doesn't come under my Ducati's category

Super DX4 20W50

Putoline Super DX4 four-stroke engine oil is formulated to meet the ever-increasing demands of modern four-stroke engines. Its unique synthetic fortified formula exceeds the requirements of leading bike manufacturers and will provide complete engine protection under normal operating conditions.

Technomoto Sport 4 20W50

Technomoto Sport 4 semi-synthetic four stroke motorcycle engine oil contains Putolines revolutionary “pure bike” TECHNOMOTO additive system. This ensures total compatibility with modern clutch friction material. Developed exclusively for touring & sport use.

Edited by Garry

I would love to get my hands on Pennzoil Racing 25W50, as I used it in my Turbocharged Suzuki dragbike. Superb oil. I had dual feed from the engine to the turbo and not one ounce of oil related troubles in many years of racing.

I would love to get my hands on Pennzoil Racing 25W50, as I used it in my Turbocharged Suzuki dragbike. Superb oil. I had dual feed from the engine to the turbo and not one ounce of oil related troubles in many years of racing.

edit: just to show that I'm not full of it, when saying I raced a dragbike. Here are a couple of photos. You may even see the odd Pennzoil decal on the fuel tank :)

Getting ready to heat the rear slick. Pit crew putting the bike into a high gear for the burnout (lot easier for them to do it than me)

DRAGBIKE01.jpg

Getting ready to stage (thoughts are always: don't screw up, don't screw up):lol:

DRAGBIKE02.jpg

Houstin we have lift-off :ph34r: About a second after the launch, I'm acting as a seconds coat of paint on the frame work B)

DRAGBIKE04.jpg

DRAGBIKE05.jpg

best numbers 60ft: 1.12 secs, 1/4 mile: 8.16 sec @ 166.6 mph...the fun part was stopping...!!! :blink: :jap:

Alot of hiso designer oils up in here, im starting to feel inferior with my little bottle of Castrol.:(

I think it depends on the bike to be honest. They can put any branded oil in my other bikes but as it's an import with no dealer support I think prevention is better than cure. I checked this bike out before I bought it and I'm 99% sure that it's never had serious work done on it in Thailand. My aim is to keep it that way and a few hundred baht extra on things like oil and filters is much better than seeing it butchered in a Thai garage :) .

Just for your info - using synthetic oil on wet clutches is a bad thing. It may not show in the first few years of use, but synthetic oil much thinner and causes the friction plates in your clutch to wear a lot faster. (Recently had to swap out all my fruition and steel plates because of bad oil)

I'm not sure you're correct - I think that's an opinon more than a fact based on the (fairly extensive) research I did. But let's assume you are right, I can handle replacing the clutch plates every few years if I need to - they don't last forever with any type of oil - and as long as I never rely on Somchai to do major engine work then I can sleep at night.

edit: just to show that I'm not full of it, when saying I raced a dragbike. Here are a couple of photos. You may even see the odd Pennzoil decal on the fuel tank :)

Getting ready to heat the rear slick. Pit crew putting the bike into a high gear for the burnout (lot easier for them to do it than me)

Nice set up there, i'd love the chance to take a drag bike down the strip. But for now its just stoplight drags for me ! Killed quite a few D-trackers up here in CNX !

Alot of hiso designer oils up in here, im starting to feel inferior with my little bottle of Castrol.:(

I think it depends on the bike to be honest. They can put any branded oil in my other bikes but as it's an import with no dealer support I think prevention is better than cure. I checked this bike out before I bought it and I'm 99% sure that it's never had serious work done on it in Thailand. My aim is to keep it that way and a few hundred baht extra on things like oil and filters is much better than seeing it butchered in a Thai garage :) .

Since its a big bike in Thailand, isn't it pretty much guaranteed to have been in pieces in a cargo container enroute to Thailand though? :D

As long as the engine's never been cracked open i suppose that's the most important thing. I always look for mechanic battle scars when buying a bike too.

Nice set up there, i'd love the chance to take a drag bike down the strip. But for now its just stoplight drags for me ! Killed quite a few D-trackers up here in CNX !

I started on streetbikes at the strip, progessed to a purpose built built (I bought it second hand under advice from another racer to get used to the sport). I liked it, raced the bike for a couple of years, then bit the bullet and had my own bike built, which you see above. The bike above is not a suitable as a first bike for dragbike racing.

Since its a big bike in Thailand, isn't it pretty much guaranteed to have been in pieces in a cargo container enroute to Thailand though? :D

As long as the engine's never been cracked open i suppose that's the most important thing. I always look for mechanic battle scars when buying a bike too.

Yeah it may have come over in pieces but like you say, as long as the engine cases weren't split then I wouldn't be too concerned.

It's got all the page 18 info with taxes paid etc, the book was checked over by Bangkok DMV before I bought it. I'm really not sure if it still needs to come over in boxes if it's brought in 100% legit?

How much is Mobil 1 going for nowadays? I use to use it when i had a car, but remember it being really expensive.

Be careful as Mobil 1 may have friction modifiers which do not go well with wet clutch. I used it in my VW a long time ago it was pricey back then. Ok for CVT scooters but Honda has a cheaper alternative (dino oil) specially for CVT scooters.

How much is Mobil 1 going for nowadays? I use to use it when i had a car, but remember it being really expensive.

Be careful as Mobil 1 may have friction modifiers which do not go well with wet clutch. I used it in my VW a long time ago it was pricey back then. Ok for CVT scooters but Honda has a cheaper alternative (dino oil) specially for CVT scooters.

No friction modifiers as far as I can see. For diesels. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If not available I use Shell Rotella T 15w40. I've ridden lot's of kilometres using these oils no engine problems. Just the usual rider problems.