Iran denies release of U.S. citizens convicted of spying

News_Editor

Iran denies release of U.S. citizens convicted of spying

2011-09-14 22:36:16 GMT+7 (ICT)

TEHRAN (BNO NEWS) -- Iran's judiciary on Wednesday rejected comments by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad that two U.S. citizens sentenced last month for espionage and illegal entry will soon be released.

The Public Relations Department of Iran's Judiciary told state-run Press TV that it is still examining pleas by lawyers of the two defendants for their release on bail. The department added that only information released by the Judiciary can be considered reliable.

Ahmadinejad told NBC News on Tuesday that Shane Bauer and Joshua Fattal would be released in 'a couple of days' as a humanitarian gesture, according to a translation provided by the network. Defense lawyer Masoud Shafiee also claimed that a court had set a bail of $500,000 for each of them, adding that the two would be freed when the bail is paid.

Last month, Iran sentenced Bauer and Fattal to eight years in prison after they were convicted of espionage and illegal entry. The news shattered earlier hopes in the United States that Iran would release the two as sentencing took place during the Holy month of Ramadan, which is also a time of forgiveness.

Bauer and Fattal were arrested in July 2009 along with Sarah Shourd when they crossed the border in Iraq's Kurdistan region into Iran. Iranian prosecutors charged them with entering the country illegally and having links to U.S. intelligence, a claim which the defendants and their families have repeatedly denied.

According to the detained Americans, they were hiking in Iraq when they unknowingly crossed the unmarked border into Iran where they were arrested by border guards. Iranian prosecutors have rejected those claims, saying there is 'compelling evidence' that they are spies.

Shourd was released on September 14, 2010, after 14 months of imprisonment. She was released on a $500,000 bail on 'medical concerns,' although no details were provided. Shourd has since returned home to the United States and does not plan to return to Iran to face trial.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-09-14

Hiking along the Iraqi order they accidentally happen to stray into Iran.

I don't believe a word of this.

If I were healthier I would be stupid enough to do that. Well, not to "accidentally" stray but I might sneak in for a FB photo op. Remember, I said "healthier" not "smarter". :)

Hiking along the Iraqi order they accidentally happen to stray into Iran.

I don't believe a word of this.

If I were healthier I would be stupid enough to do that. Well, not to "accidentally" stray but I might sneak in for a FB photo op. Remember, I said "healthier" not "smarter". :)

I tend to agree, I would probably do the same. Stupid I know, but I'd still do it.

I've been up around that border in years past. It isn't exactly marked with white out-of-bounds stakes.

Were you out hiking too ?

Not exactly.

Did you hit it a bit wide off the tee? just joking. :D

The nearest golf course was in Tehran and it was a dandy...Imperial Country Club

I have no idea if they are babes in the woods or just out for a stroll. If they are spies, they are very stupid spies, since they crossed the border in an area that is very poorly demarcated. Having lived in that area, I can tell you that it is a particularly beautiful area. The Saddam regime had removed all villages from along the border area, so it is also a peaceful area. For those who label themselves as 'adventure tourists' it's one place to go and safer than many--provided you don't cross the border. Also it's recommended you stay away from the minefields.

The Kurdish held portion of Iraq is relatively stable and safer than the main part of the country.

Spies generally get into a country in a more conventional route, especially if they are not going to fit in with the locals.

Historically, Iran and Iraq have problems with the border. Iran tends to be fairly paranoid about Westerners. It's not a border you want to stray across. It's not a border that you want to be too close to, just in case someone decides your on the wrong side.